PDA

View Full Version : Friday - Now it begins

Blondie
March 27th, 2015, 06:55 AM

Happy Friday, Folksies!

The weekend is arriving, huzzah! While Spring is still shilly shallying about, I am still determined to do a bit of work outside in preparation for her final arrival. I finally got the hydrangeas cleaned up last evening. I forget what this type is called but they are a newer genus, sort of like the knock out roses in that once they start bloom they bloom like crazy and grow very very fast. Plus they go from white to a pale pink as the season progresses. Lovely shrub.

My work day yesterday was rather screwy. Most of my clients know that I have cut my work way back. In other words, once I began caring for my parents, I lost the majority of my business. And now at this point in my life, I really don't feel like building it up again. Somehow over the past several years I've grown more tired, and a wee bit older. So, while I don't work as much, it doesn't mean that I don't need the income. My hair clients have become dear friends over the years. Yesterday, one of them brought her antsy 3 yr old grandson for a hair trim. It wasn't a stop by visit - it was a called me up at the salon and book an appt visit. After about 30 minutes of trying to get the squirmy kid to sit still and etc, I managed to do a decent job. Hey, you could see his eyes and ears once again! She said to me, looking at the hair on the floor - I hate to pay for such little work. I replied, Honey, we're both professionals - why don't you pay me what you make for half an hour. (she's a BSN) I won't charge you for the nips to my fingers from his wiggling. (every scar on my left hand is from a kid or long necked woman. You know, the kind that can't speak without moving her head?)

I shall leave you with blessings, hugs, prayers and a Friday Funny:

Three old ladies are sitting in a diner, chatting about various things.

One lady says, "You know, I'm getting really forgetful. This morning, I was standing at the top of the stairs, and I couldn't remember whether I had just come up or was about to go down."

The second lady says, "You think that's bad? The other day, I was sitting on the edge of my bed, and I couldn't remember whether I was going to bed or had just woken up!"

The third lady smiles smugly. "Well, my memory's just as good as it's always been, knock on wood." She raps the table. With a startled look on her face, she then asks, "Who's there?"

Remember to Laugh Often, and To SMILE EVEN MORE !!

Monique
March 27th, 2015, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the smile this morning, Blondie.

Well today is the day. Leaving for Trenton to see my birthday girl and the rest of the family too. Not too sure if hubby is coming with me or not. I would just rather go myself. He is not sleeping well at night which makes him a little grumpy. He did go for more xrays yesterday. The meds don't seem to be having any effect. We shall see.

Have a great weekend friends.

I SAW IT. I SAW IT. MY FIRST ROBIN YESTERDAY. SPRING HAS SPRUNG. Even though we did get some snow last night. UGH!!

RFREE
March 27th, 2015, 08:05 AM
TGIF!!!!!!!

Ginny B
March 27th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Yay! Friday is here! I just wake up feeling differently on Friday even though it is still a work day. Looking forward to the weekend. We are going to see the Moody Blues tomorrow night and will probably go out to dinner beforehand. And it looks like I may have a lot of time to spend in the sewing room too over the next couple of days so I am happy about that.

Have a terrific time at the party Monique and a safe trip.

Enjoy your day all.

MayinJerset
March 27th, 2015, 08:23 AM
I saw him/her too, a big robin sitting on top of the fence. No early bulbs poking up through the ground but Spring is coming.

Can hear Monique's excitement about her DGD's Bday celebration, the Frozen Girls quilt is adorable. Monique you need a few more grandkids to make your treasures for.

Off to get my first cup of coffee and get my day started. 105392

Vonnie
March 27th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Blondie - is that woman still going to be your customer?

I always gave a big tip for haircuts when my kids were little especially the oldest one - he was like a moving target. I currently give my hairstylist a 25 percent tip - she spends an hour on me every time and only charges $28! I have told her she needs to raise her prices. She's afraid she will loose customers if she raises her prices. She's in competition with these places that advertise low prices but you get a different person every time.

Today is a quiet day around here. There are a lot of birds digging around the lawn this week. I found several night crawlers on the driveway yesterday that they must have missed. I threw them back on the lawn - they don't live very long when they are on concrete. Got to be careful with them. Last year I almost picked up one when I realized it was really a small snake! Yikes! I can stand worms but keep the snakes away from me!

Saw a pigeon last weekend on our deck. Never saw one here before. Lots of robins, black birds, blue jays, and sparrows but this is a first for a pigeon. Hopefully since we got vinyl siding last year the woodpeckers won't be back. Those are the most annoying birds. Also last weekend DH pointed out some wild turkeys in the field behind us.

Have not seen any groundhogs yet.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 27th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Good morning all! My week has been busy but nothing noteworthy. Oh, with one exception, my grandson turned 11 on Tuesday and he loved his skateboard quilt. I have been cleaning my room/ closet and took 8 bags to the Salvation Army resale center yesterday. That meant I could empty a bunch of laundry baskets! Now I can see the floor to vacuum it!

Today I'm getting together with 2 forum members, Kathy Crofoot is visiting St. Louis so we are going to Shop Hop this morning, then meet Marilyn Auntiemern for lunch. Should be a great day, but right now it is snowing here in the area! Yikes!

Hope you all have a great day!

Monique
March 27th, 2015, 08:45 AM
I saw him/her too, a big robin sitting on top of the fence. No early bulbs poking up through the ground but Spring is coming.

Can hear Monique's excitement about her DGD's Bday celebration, the Frozen Girls quilt is adorable. Monique you need a few more grandkids to make your treasures for.

Off to get my first cup of coffee and get my day started. 105392

May, looks like she is the only one I am going to get.

Monique
March 27th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Good morning all! My week has been busy but nothing noteworthy. Oh, with one exception, my grandson turned 11 on Tuesday and he loved his skateboard quilt. I have been cleaning my room/ closet and took 8 bags to the Salvation Army resale center yesterday. That meant I could empty a bunch of laundry baskets! Now I can see the floor to vacuum it!

Today I'm getting together with 2 forum members, Kathy Crofoot is visiting St. Louis so we are going to Shop Hop this morning, then meet Marilyn Auntiemern for lunch. Should be a great day, but right now it is snowing here in the area! Yikes!

Have a wonderful time.

WendyI
March 27th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Blondie not sure I'd be cutting that kids hair again! Wow...that was so rude of her to say that! Monique, enjoy your party! She's gonna love that quilt! Jean sounds like you're going to have a great day...don't play Marilyn out too much!

Not much new with me. I packed five boxes last night...a good chunk of my kitchen and mud room. Realized how much crap I have to go through and sell. I'm moving everything and having a garage sale at the end of May/beginning of June. I just don't have the heart or energy to purge right now. This weekend I hope to get some furniture over to my cousins to make room for some of the stuff from the basement. Want to get as much on the main floor as I can for moving day. I hired a couple of guys to come help me move and they're very reasonable and come highly recommended so I'm happy about that.

Well off to get some work done. Hope everyone has an awesome day!! ((((HUGS)))) to those who need them. xox

Grandma Nan
March 27th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Well once you retire Friday doesn't really have the same significance as it did when I was working but it still is nice to get to the end of the week because a lot of other people (like the kids, grandkids, some friends) still work so they are available to do things on the weekends. Me, I am thankful to see another day and have a laugh with you guys. Hope everyone has a great weekend and do at least one thing that you really love and remember to SMILE.

Cathy F
March 27th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Morning all,
Looks like the rain has subsided waiting to see if the sun will peek through. Been a busy week and not too much sewing was done. Had two meetings this week, one of which I hosted Wednesday night which meant a "company clean" house! Made a delish cheesecake for dessert and sent most of it home with the 6 committee members but those last couple of pieces are calling my name loudly from the refrigerator! Wonder how long I'll hold out!

My sister is coming tomorrow I haven't seen her since November so I'm looking forward to it. She's also a quilter and I wish she lived closer so we'd have more time to sew together. We are exchanging Christmas presents tomorrow, I know, so late. I told her let's save them till next year and we'll be ahead of the game but that didn't go over well with her. Shetold me she didn't want them cluttering up her closet till then, can you tell she's a very neat nothing extra laying around person? Even her sewing room is neat as a pin! Mine is too ( at least for tomorrow)cause I know she'll be in there.

Well, off to get a caffeine infusion and get my day started. I have an Easter embroidery stitched out and have to decide runner vs pillow. If I don't decide soon it's not gonna make this year!

Grandma Nan
March 27th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Now that is a good reason to be happy its Friday- have fun ladies. I hope Marilyn is feeling ok as I think last night she was saying she was feeling sick. Wish I lived closer and I would join you.

Amy R
March 27th, 2015, 09:53 AM
I'm happy that the weekend is here!! = more time with hubby and a break.
Hope to get some sewing done!

We are seriously considering adopting a friend for Kit Kat. The thought of all involved in the discussions is that another feline may help reduce his stress and help him by playing and being around when were not home or sleeping. It's not something we're taking lightly or rushing into. We had a hold on a kitty, but I'm going to cancel it. All my pets have been instant hit you in the face prospects and this fell flat. So we will be looking at the shelters and satellite adoption sites around here and see what happens.

Another mission is reducing human stress in the house, and a big part of that is boredom from being a one car family. So I am armed now thanks to hobby lobby and dollar store with some more dress up options, pipe cleaners, finger paints, play dough, water paints etc to keep my Soph intellectually stimulated more during the long weeks at home. Hoping that reduces the unfavorable behavior by keeping us busy.

Prayers hugs and well wishes are still outpouring to all my dear friends here.

Grandma Nan
March 27th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Blondie I can't believe an old customer would say that to you- children can be so impossible to cut their hair even if they are really good. They dont understand the implications of turning their head quickly when someone is standing there with scissors. Hope you get your hands in the dirt this weekend and thanks for the laugh.

Bubby
March 27th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Morning Everyone,

It's snowing like crazy here this morning with more predicted for tomorrow. Spring is taking a break here for sure! Jeff has an appointment for PT this morning. While he's in therapy I need to visit the Verizon phone store which is right next door.

According to my doctor I'm on the cusp of another Epstein-Barr flare. He said if I begin to break out to call him immediately and to head to the ER and he will meet me there. Please help me pray that this thing will retreat. I'm still recuping from my last episode.

Dottie is so thrilled it's snowing again. She got up on her back legs to catch snowflakes in her mouth. I just hope things don't melt and freeze tonight.

I need to get myself ready to leave. Wishing everyone a good Friday!!

LRM
March 27th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Blondie, I realized years ago that I'm paying for the amount of time, not the amount cut. I wore my hair short for many years and would get it cut every 4 weeks. Very little hair was cut off, but it took the same amount of time as someone who had a lot cut off. I'm so sorry someone said such an insensitive thing. She obviously doesn't understand what she is paying for!

I have been feeling so down about sewing, but (as some of you saw) I finally figured out those darn self-binding baby blankets. I'm off to the races! I feel such a sense of energy. It is silly, but I was baffled when they were wrong before and now, having received help on the forum, feel that I'm not so dense and can actually follow directions! Today my goal is to figure out the baby quilt I'm going to make for my dear niece. She is having her first baby and I want to make something special.

Spring has sprung here (we hardly had winter) and I'm hoping to spray dandelions in my lawn. Over the past couple years the quality of out lawn has really diminished because my husband doesn't want to fertilize and so the weeks, annual grasses, and such take over. I'd like to get rid of much of it and reduce our water use. After all, I live in a desert! I'm hoping to get all the beds cleaned out today and make this place look a bit better.

Have a happy Friday everyone!

Sandy Navas
March 27th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Ah, Spring - and a good, cleansing deep breath for me!!

Envious of our wonderful Jean getting to spend the day with Kathy and Marilyn! Have fun - there are several of us who wish we were here.

Blondie, I have that duct tape cures a lot of fidgety things!

Monique, give that wonderful little girl a big hug and sing happy birthday from me - she is growing up way too fast!

Bubby - praying your symptoms abate and Jeff's PT continues to give him more flexibility. He's going to have to keep up with Dottie's snowflake catching abilities.

Looking like Nan's chicken this morning, so I'd best move a bit. House showing this afternoon and since we've not been home much this week, there's not much to straighten up.

Amy - I need to find my recounting of two cats we owned who each needed a friend.

To everyone else, don't work too hard, have a wonderful day, keep those smiles in place, and have a wonderful weekend, too.

(Oh, and Wendy, come on down - I could use some packing help!!)

peanuts
March 27th, 2015, 10:58 AM
thanks for the laugh....regarding the little boy's hair on the floor....really..can't understand some people....I hope she gave you a good tip....doubt it though....let her cut the kids hair...

songbird857
March 27th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Morning all - a bit late getting on here. Been up since 6, decided to get some groceries done after I dropped hubby off at work :)

Yesterday took a detour, but it was worth it. My original plan was to pick my daughter up from school at noonish and come back home and continue the decluttering in my kitchen. However, I was really feeling like my FIL needed a short field trip to the mall. So we went to Hobby Lobby, which is one of his favorite places to browse. So, I was walking up to the register with my fabric (well, duh... it was hobby lobby), when FIL comes walking up behind me with a small TY beanie stuffed lion - asking me to buy it. At first I said no (like a mother to a child), because we certainly don't NEED that stuffed animal. Then God totally put me in check - seriously. Like "What the heck are you thinking it's a stuffed toy buy it for him"....
OK, this is important - this man does not ASK for things - he doesn't like to. Many of my days are spent anticipating needs based upon his actions or demeanor. I've learned mostly what his body language means and we have an ebb and flow to our day most of the time.
So I said ok and bought it - it turns out he wanted it to put in his antique Model Ford A (which is in a garage in Portugal). It's moments like that that make the tough days ok ;) He was quite jovial after that and the rest of the day was good :icon_cool:
Hope everyone has a fab day today... I might just go back to the mall ;)

MRoy
March 27th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Good morning! It's been a busy time around here. A neighbor brought me 6 garbage bags full of all kinds of fabric yesterday and I've been sorting and washing it. It had been stored for years and needed "freshening up". There are several large pieces of cotton print and lots of double knit and T-shirt weight knits. I washed 5 loads of fabric yesterday and have 2 more to go. I'm hoping the guild can use some of the cottons for donation quilts.

I was up late last night watching the NCAA tournament. I'm a UK Wildcat fan. I've followed them all season and I'm hanging in until it's over. They're undefeated so far this year.

Sunshine and cold temps here today. Missouri girls, please don't send your snow this way. Happy Friday everyone!

Sandy Navas
March 27th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Good morning! It's been a busy time around here. A neighbor brought me 6 garbage bags full of all kinds of fabric yesterday and I've been sorting and washing it. It had been stored for years and needed "freshening up". There are several large pieces of cotton print and lots of double knit and T-shirt weight knits. I washed 5 loads of fabric yesterday and have 2 more to go. I'm hoping the guild can use some of the cottons for donation quilts.

I was up late last night watching the NCAA tournament. I'm a UK Wildcat fan. I've followed them all season and I'm hanging in until it's over. They're undefeated so far this year.

Sunshine and cold temps here today. Missouri girls, please don't send your snow this way. Happy Friday everyone!

Myrna, some of that t-shirt weight knit could be used as backing on donation quilts. I've used it before and although you have to be careful with it stretching, it gives a nice soft, warm and cozy backing.

Carrie J
March 27th, 2015, 11:51 AM
Good Morning All! :D. Blondie, thanks for the double laugh, and next time whip out a cereal bowl, duct tape, buzzers and ask her to hold him down while you apply the tape, LOL! Please take a pix if you do!!
Cooler weather overnight, but oh so perfect for snugly sleeping!!! Sitting here watching our City Police FINALLY nailing the college kids that perpetually run the stop sign on our corner, and we're talking at Indy 500 speeds! Guess the whole neighborhood attending the Council meetings worked, only after 3 years of continually attending and demanding the issues be resolved!!!! So,far this morning, since about 7:30a.m., the count is 15, and is rising quite nicely! They even got a City of Commerce vehicle ( Public Works) to boot.......LOL!!!! I guess the camcorder work we took turns with, really helped! Ahhhhh, technology, at times thou art handy! For those getting together today, have a blast, for those not in the best of health, or amidst worrisome issues, Hugs and Prayers, wishing all a wonderful day! :D

ilive2craft2
March 27th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Good morning all! So sad it is Friday already - this was spring break for us and the weather has not cooperated - in fact, it is snowing now.......yuck!

Having sewing withdrawals - my machine got caught on the edge of an applique while I was embroidering and did the safety device stop. Got it all cleared up and it sewed for awhile with a new needle, etc, but then started stopping every 20 stitches or so and saying check upper thread. Called around for repair places close to where we are and no one would look at my BabyLock. Pulled out Grandma's old machine that I had here and once I got it sewing and putting a binding on I started hearing popping and cracking coming from the foot pedal.....so quickly unplugged it and it will be going into the shop too! My BL dealer closed up shop last year, but found another shop at home that will look at the BabyLock. Their repair guy comes through on Mondays, so I could be without a machine for another week......Will have to use the long arm and the serger once I get home to get through the sewing withdrawals!

I had so many plans of what I was going to sew this week! Oh well, I have enjoyed the time with family and relaxing - reading and putting a very difficult jigsaw puzzle together. Had planned on going to a quilt show this morning and then to a movie, but we may be lazy and stay in again today. Yesterday we did some antiquing.

Grandma Nan
March 27th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the smile this morning, Blondie.

Well today is the day. Leaving for Trenton to see my birthday girl and the rest of the family too. Not too sure if hubby is coming with me or not. I would just rather go myself. He is not sleeping well at night which makes him a little grumpy. He did go for more xrays yesterday. The meds don't seem to be having any effect. We shall see.

Have a great weekend friends.

I SAW IT. I SAW IT. MY FIRST ROBIN YESTERDAY. SPRING HAS SPRUNG. Even though we did get some snow last night. UGH!!

Monique I saw my first Robin this week too. They must have finally made it to the great white north. Have a great and safe trip to Trenton. That stretch of 401 can be treacherous if it snows. Hope Maizyn has a very happy birthday and loves her Frozen quilt.

toggpine
March 27th, 2015, 02:01 PM
The sun is out this morning, although according to the weather report the clouds and rain showers should be rolling in by supper time.

Hubby has been cranky this last week. His commutes have been hellish this week with at least one nasty accident on the freeway everyday. Yesterday his commute totaled 4 hours. His birthday is next week and he isn't looking forward to that either. I'm trying to think of a way to perk him up. If the weather holds off dumping rain, I may try to put together a picnic and take a walk on the local beach. A change of pace from the farm and certainly no freeway time!

Now lets see what I can get into today....

Simply Quilting
March 27th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Good Afternoon! We will be celebrating my Mom's birthday this weekend. So much not else on the agenda. I'm hoping to get a little sewing this evening.

Hugs and prayers to those who need them.

Have a great Friday everyone :)

auntiemern
March 27th, 2015, 06:13 PM
A great time we did have. Always fun meeting members from far away. Getting together with Jean is always a pleasure. Cathy brought me a bag full of pillowcases for the hospital. I am so blessed by all of you that help me out with my missions.
About me being sick....I would have gone by ambulance if need be. However I am feeling much better, but sound absolutely terrible. Not 100% but hoping by Monday I will be. The Z-pack seems to be doing its job.

dlsnaples
March 28th, 2015, 06:27 AM
Blondie, I hope she was saying that with a smile. She has to deal with a lot of challenging clients too. If not, I will apologize for her.
Thank you again for such a great post.

rebeccas-sewing
March 28th, 2015, 06:55 AM
deleted posting.