PDA

View Full Version : This made me laugh

Sharyn J
March 26th, 2015, 01:54 PM
I'm really stuck on #11. :D
Anyone who sews has "been there." Those who do not sew, don't understand.

11 Responses When Someone Asks You to Sew Something - Melly Sews (http://mellysews.com/2015/03/11-responses-when-someone-asks-you-to-sew-something.html)

RockinLou
March 26th, 2015, 03:25 PM
I love Melissa's blog!! I work at an international school, I tell other teachers that ask that I only do hemming alterations for my pregnant friends! It is hard to find maternity here, never mind stuff that fits well... So I feel bad for the pregnant crowd and it is one way that I can help.

Wrenmuzz
March 26th, 2015, 03:49 PM
I used to make 'posh frocks', wedding, prom, ball etc. then came e-bay. I now have people asking if I will alter their bargain finds, aside from the fact I really don't like doing these, they are horrified when I quote a price to them. I'm afraid the response of it costing more than the dress is not welcome. They expect me to do it at about 1.50 ($3) an hour. Needless to say I only do for friends now. I do sometimes feel a bit mean but then I think, they're encroaching on my quilting time, the feeling soon goes!

Granny Fran
March 26th, 2015, 05:44 PM
DD says: I can sew, but why should I if I can get you to do it? She means me of course. LOL She thinks this keeps me out of trouble.

irishrn
March 26th, 2015, 06:23 PM
My DD has refused to learn since I am readily available! I remind her that I'm not going to live forever. She gives me a look like I stabbed her with a knife!! Then says: don't even make me think about that! Now I also get her BF's pants to hem. Since they are both short this is a frequent occurrence! DD is 4'11" and BF is probably 5'2" . Apparently I do good hems, they keep coming back with more!!

Sylvia H
March 26th, 2015, 06:52 PM
I have a very legitimate out - I don't sew, I only quilt! And, if necessary, I explain the difference. My mother was a fantastic seamstress, and she would often say she preferred making a dress to doing alterations. And I totally get the fact that some clothing is so inexpensive, and people don't understand the true value of the work involved in alterations.

Altairss
March 26th, 2015, 09:00 PM
I laughed when I read that it hit home as today to my SIL called several times both phones I freak thinking somethings wrong. No she just wanted to know if I do alternations. I told her I quilt and that's a new thing I have no clue on clothes and did she want to look like a quilt? She was good natured about it but really just cause I learned to sew a straight line does not mean I can fix your clothes people!

Judy, USMC
March 27th, 2015, 03:18 AM
Since my SIL retired years ago she became the neighborhood child care provider. Kids still come over and walk right in the house. She still keeps a spare fridge full of sodas and a bowl full of snacks for them too.

She has terminal cancer and was only given a couple of months to live back in September. We've already discussed making memory quilts for her brother (my husband) and her sister plus 2 more for her niece and nephew.

It was really tough to tell her I couldn't make an additional 12 T-shirt quilts for the neighborhood children from their shirts. She expected I could make them all in one weekend! Instead DH & I will take them to the bookstore so they can select their own book in which Nancy can write a personal note on the title page. I think that's a great alternative!

rebeccas-sewing
March 27th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Alterations make me want to run really fast in the opposite direction. It's probably my least favorite sewing task. Replace a zipper? My response is, "The tailor at the drycleaners will surely do a much better job. I suggest you try them."

Monique
March 27th, 2015, 07:33 AM
As long as you own a sewing machine, you can do anything, right?

I get asked quite often. I don't repair zippers either.