PDA

View Full Version : Fingers crossed I won't look like a duck.

g8dhorse7
March 26th, 2015, 12:18 PM
I have a hair appointment this morning. I can't tell you how utterly depressed I was after my last three hair styles in the US. I took the same picture to each butcher, er, stylist and explicitly asked, "can you do this exact cut on me? I know my hair can look exactly like this. Can you cut it this way? I told each of them how I DID NOT want my hair cut as well. One lady said "absolutely! " Then cut my hair the way I didn't want it. Another sheared my head like a lamb. Even hubby couldn't lie to me over that one. The last lady told me I would be completely satisfied or I wouldn't have to pay. I walked out crying and without paying. I used to be a cosmetologist, no one knows my hair better than me. I know what cuts work for me, how it needs to be cut. So I pick pictures that will work with my hair and that are current so every hair stylist should know how to do that cut.

I'm still in Playa del Carmen and I'm going to give this another try. Hey, it can't be any worse than the last three cuts.

I just hope I don't end up with a duck's butt in the back and a basset hound's ears in the front. wish me luck.

asta
March 26th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Good luck, hope you get the style you are looking for. I too have a hard time finding a stylist who is able to listen to me and produce the cut I am looking for. My stylist retired about 12 years ago and it has taken me until just recently to find one who can cut my hair properly, turns out I went to the local cosmo college and got a great cut, she has graduated and I have followed her to her new place.

fatquarters
March 26th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Good luck with the haircut. I love playa del Carmen! If the haircut is bad, just go soak up some sun and sand, there are no mirrors on the beach!

bubba
March 26th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Look at the bright side....you probably won't run into anyone you know!

g8dhorse7
March 26th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the well wishes and the laughs! Hubby will be standing by with my hat....just in case. ;)

WendyI
March 26th, 2015, 01:23 PM
It's only hair...it will grow! I remember when I was a teenager I used to break brushes when I'd get a bad hairdo and that was OFTEN! LOL! Now I'm like MEH...do whatever you want..it's just hair.

Hope you get the cut you want tho...I know it's disappointing when you can SEE in your minds eye what it should look like then it doesn't.

toggpine
March 26th, 2015, 01:31 PM
As soon as they figure out the transporter beam dealie, Blondie will have more work than she knows what to do with from us forum members looking for a good stylist!

I just recently found a reliable stylist myself. Curly hair can be a pain, especially when they cut it wrong. I don't know how many times I have worn a 'hair helmet' cut. Sheesh!
Teagan and I have come to understand that I want it low maintenance and shorter than it is when I come in. She is the pro and knows where to cut to keep it curling on it's own. It's not always an X number of inches off, but "here, or here". She is fabulously sweet on top of it all. The scalp and neck massage are icing on the cake! (If I could afford it, I'd have her 'do' my hair once a week just for that!)

I certainly hope that you get a fabulous hair cut today, no hat required!

easyquilts
March 26th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Oh, I am SO sorry about this.... I think nearly all of us have had a bad haircut experience, but your story hits a whole nw level of unhappiness... Really....

Here's hoping....with crossed fingers.....that thus thurd try will be the charm... Good luck!

Iris Girl
March 26th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Oh I so feel for you. I have naturally curly baby fine hair. IF they layer it correctly it will curl up all on its own and look good doing it. I want low maintenance shoulder length hair that I can blow the front and sides around my face and let the rest dry on its own. I absolutely hate any and all product in my hair. I also went to cosmetology school and know what my hair will do. Why can't I convey it to others even with a picture? Wish Blondie were up here or could travel and help us all out.

bubba
March 26th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Before one of our Hawaii trips, I did not have time to get a haircut first. Once we got there, we did the ceremonial toe dipping, eating at the place we always eat at first, etc....

Then I went to find someplace to get my haircut, which is not an easy thing to find in Waikiki! I ended up in the Hyatt Regency and this little Japanese lady comes out to get me. I don't think she was even five feet tall! Oh, and I guessed her age to be close to seventy, but it was hard for me to tell. She sits me in her chair, drapes me in the gown and takes me to the shampoo station. Best shampoo ever!

Back to the chair. She changes out my gown for a new one. Now, I wear glasses, so when getting my hair cut, they are off and I usually sit with my eyes closed since everything is blurry. This wonder woman is massaging my head, neck and shoulders when all of a sudden out of nowhere WHACK!!! She hit me on the side of the head! Before I could respond WHACK!!! She hit me on the other side!

Now the haircut was on. She gave me the best haircut I think I have ever had in my life!!! Once she was done cutting, back for another shampoo (after we changed my gown again!). Another head massage and changing of the gown. Back to the chair, another head/neck/shoulder/but no head whacking massage and then she dried it.

I left and went to find MM who was at the beach bar across the street. He normally does not comment on my haircuts, but he even said how nice it was! Since I can fly there free now, I wonder if that woman is still there??

songbird857
March 26th, 2015, 04:53 PM
ok... just had this mental picture of a duck's butt and basset hound ears - too funny.

Bubby
March 26th, 2015, 05:10 PM
I wish you Good Luck this time. I'm recuping from two bad cuts that made me look like a plucked chicken.

Navy Wife
March 26th, 2015, 05:13 PM
I hope your cut comes out great. The man who has cut mine for 20 years decided I needed to go very short. I kept telling him I didn't want it so short, and finally after the 6th time of looking like a Marine, I gave up. The new one did a great job before Christmas. I've been letting it grow since then and it still looks good. Home next week, and another visit to my new miracle worker! By the way, I love Marines, but their haircut looks awful on a 77 year old!

ceiliam
March 26th, 2015, 05:43 PM
I understand i have a hard time as well, moved here 3 years ago, really. Hard to find someone to cut my hair. Found one girl who does great, sigh she graduates in april and moving to Portland, so here we go again. Blondie want to take your show on the road? Just checking...

irishrn
March 26th, 2015, 06:33 PM
I've been doing just fine with the same girl for the past 15 years until I retired. I decided I wanted to go a bit shorter now and for the past 15 months she has not gotten it right! Every time I leave there I feel like I'm looking at my brother in the mirror. It takes weeks to grow out to where I want it and then it gets raggy looking so back I go cause I need a trim, but I get another haircut anyway and come out looking like my brother! I can't win!!
I think I'm gonna try one more time and then start looking elsewhere if she doesn't get it right!

bubba
March 26th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Flowbee!!!

K. McEuen
March 26th, 2015, 07:40 PM
I'm still laughing at the thought of Pat being nice and relaxed and getting a smack to the side of the head.

I've been going to Roger for a l o n g time. We actually figured it was 18 years last time I was there. I laugh at him because while he always gives me a good cut, not once in 18 years has he been able to remember that my part is slightly off center to the right.. He always parts it on the left and then I take the brush away from him and rebrush my hair before I leave.

Vonnie
March 26th, 2015, 07:49 PM
Flowbee!!!

We tried the flowbee! Does not work well on curly hair.

I also have naturally curly hair. But, it's coarse and thick compliments of my grandmother who was Irish and Cherokee. I have to keep it short or it's an absolute horror! If it gets too long can not get a comb through it without breaking teeth.

Luckily, my hairstylist of the past 18 years is also Irish and Cherokee and even though her hair is not as curly as mine, she understands perfectly the problems with it. Too bad I didn't get my mothers hair - she was German American and it was straight and fine. Out of four kids only one got her hair and it wasn't me. Sniff. My oldest has my hair and hates it. He keeps a buzz cut. But he won't have to put up with it much longer. He's 30 now and going bald, just like his father who is German American. He was hoping he took after my Dad's side of the family and not go bald. But with all the baldness on my Mom's side and my husbands side it's a given.

So, have you had the haircut yet?

I think the worse haircut I had was when the beautician stabbed my scalp with the scissors and she had to doctor it up for me. She apologized but I still did not go back to her. Did go to the doctor though. It was a mole she stabbed so I had the doctor remove it. I have heard that once a mole is injured it's best to have it removed.

Altairss
March 26th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Oh my so sorry and the picture you painted will stay with us all. I kept trying to find someone as soon as I had kids my hair went from naturally wavy and think to frizzed out extreme curls. I try and try to explain that if you take off two inches it will suddenly go up five when it dries. They don't believe me then they cut it shorter then I ask and I can see the horror on their face as it starts to dry and suddenly I am Shirley temple. I finally found someone who understood curly hair got one great cut then she moved. Sigh I hope you next try is the charm

snippet
March 26th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Ok, we need a warning label on posts. I just spit coke all over my laptop reading this! :icon_attention:

I hope you find someone you like too. How are you selecting these people?

What was the WHACK against the head for???

I use to have a great haircutter, but she moved and then I went on the hunt. None were as good. I didn't fret about a bad cut because my hair grows fairly fast and I just have to wait it out.

Now I don't cut my hair any more :)

bubba
March 26th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Ok, we need a warning label on posts. I just spit coke all over my laptop reading this! :icon_attention:

What was the WHACK against the head for???

I have no clue!! Maybe she thought I was sleeping!

Grandma Nan
March 26th, 2015, 09:46 PM
ok... just had this mental picture of a duck's butt and basset hound ears - too funny.

OMG me too. And I can see the haircut perfectly. LOL ROFL

fmedwards
March 26th, 2015, 10:02 PM
My mom and I both needed a trim so we ventured into a walk-in salon. Two young ladies took us back for shampoo and then each to a chair on opposite sides of the room. I know I said "trim" my collar length hair (with no bangs) which is deciphered as "cut hair leaving 1/2 inch attached to back of head, but make sure bangs hang into eyes". I kept asking for no hair in my eyes - she finally trimmed the new bangs to my eyebrows. I figured "oh well, the back will grow, eventually" I was released from my chair faster than mom was, so I was waiting as she walked down the aisle with the exact cut I had been given. Her first comment was "why won't they cut the front of my hair?" I sure don't know the answer......

pcbatiks
March 26th, 2015, 10:21 PM
Scalp and shoulder massage!! I must be going to the wrong place! That might be worth a trip to Hawaii. :D

Sandy Navas
March 27th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Waiting for pictures - hope you didn't cry and blur the film. Do you look like a duck???