PDA

View Full Version : Texas wildflowers!

snippet
March 26th, 2015, 05:06 AM
Oh gosh, it's so pretty out in my area this time of year. The flowers are blooming all around, we had some good rains this winter. This was taken near my house and a bit further south off the highway.

105298 105299

MayinJerset
March 26th, 2015, 05:34 AM
That's a pretty sight, thanks for sharing it with us.

Blondie
March 26th, 2015, 06:20 AM
Oh Carol, thank you for sharing. So many of us are just waiting to breathe in the spring goodness and smell the rose. How pretty indeed.

Vonnie
March 26th, 2015, 06:28 AM
Beautiful!

The lilac bush outside my kitchen window has little buds all over it. Can hardly wait. Sad news is those blooms don't stay around very long.

kimsophia
March 26th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Snippet, the Texas bluebonnets are gorgeous...and what are the pink flowers? :)

Midge
March 26th, 2015, 07:36 AM
Snippet, thanks so much for sharing your bluebonnets with us. We sure do need a little nudge towards spring around here. The foliage is coming up, but not too many people put in the very early blooming bulbs. Next month we will get our spring treat.

K. McEuen
March 26th, 2015, 07:44 AM
Snippet, the Texas bluebonnets are gorgeous...and what are the pink flowers? :)

They are really orange and are Indian Paintbrush, another wildflower.

rebeccas-sewing
March 26th, 2015, 08:06 AM
My favorite time of year in Texas. Just always wished it would last longer.

Andrea F
March 26th, 2015, 08:23 AM
Oh, it looks so beautiful.

Amy R
March 26th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Oh how beautiful! My DH is from Texas, I'll make sure he sees these!! Thanks for sharing!

Sandy Navas
March 26th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Just a reaffirmation from the song "God loves Texas". The bluebells in Texas are something so very special.

LRM
March 26th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Thank you for posting! I lived in No. Texas as a child and miss this gorgeous display. Bluebonnets are so very special. Thanks again.

Bubby
March 26th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Those are beautiful! Our Dogwoods will bloom soon and we have daffs and forsythias in full bloom now. We are also getting snow tonight....go figure.

WendyI
March 26th, 2015, 09:57 AM
WOW! that's just beautiful! Is that grape hyacinth? I guess you might call it something different there. Thanks so much for sharing...gives me hope that spring is really coming! LOL!

Mom23
March 26th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Thanks for sharing Carol. Hopefully it won't be long and we will see some color in Illinois. Just heard on the news this morning we might get a few snow flurries this morning. Oh....so....tired.....of.....winter!!!

BobW
March 26th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the glimpse of spring! If I am remembering correctly, wasn't it Lady Bird Johnsons "Pet" project to spread the wild flowers?

Jean Sewing Machine
March 26th, 2015, 10:09 AM
What a beautiful picture! And you can tell it's Texas because of the oil pump in the middle of the field of flowers!

JCY
March 26th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Just beautiful! No such color in Colo. yet, as it's too cold. (We live at just under a mile high.) My first daffodil opened this week, & the primrose & hyacinths are blooming. The lawns (and weeds!) are greening up.

snippet
March 26th, 2015, 12:44 PM
I figured those of you in the North could use some cheer. It's been a really cold winter for so many.

The blue flowers are Bluebonnets, the Texas state flower. The other flowers are Indian Paintbrush. They are a weird color - kinda orange and red. I think the coloring depends on the soil. I've seen some that are totally red, but most are this color.

Yes. Lady Bird Johnson was famous for spreading wildflowers throughout the state. Many of the highways were/are seeded with flowers and it is a joy to drive and see the colors. There's a great wildflower center in Austin named after her.

Cathy F
March 26th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Oh what a pretty sight!

bubba
March 26th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Those are pretty.....however, I look at them and wonder how many snakes are hiding in them!!

laura44
March 26th, 2015, 11:22 PM
Beautiful!

SuzyQue
March 27th, 2015, 12:42 AM
So cheerful and springy! I have some forsythia blooming and buds on the lilacs and snow in the forecast, too. Typical MO weather in March! Thanks for sharing your colors!

Simply Quilting
March 27th, 2015, 03:18 AM
Beautiful flowers.

light-of-midi
March 27th, 2015, 04:45 AM
Gorgeous! So beautiful!
Are this the famous "Texan Bluebonnets"?
Many years ago my sister lived in Texas and she told me about that nice flowers ...

BobW
March 27th, 2015, 09:43 AM
You know the crazy thing, I'm not a plant person. I have a black thumb. Silk plants wilt if I get to close to them. I have a Christmas cactus that a friend gave me several years ago. It is blooming. The prettiest pinkish white bloom opened up yesterday. I guess it is a given that I would have a mixed up Christmas cactus. LOL

Hulamoon
March 27th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Beautiful!

When I was young in Calif we used to drive up to the poppy fields. The orange was so stunning.

klgls
March 27th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing.

Granny Fran
March 27th, 2015, 10:53 AM
When I was a kid (ok almost 70 years ago) we would drive from FL to CA to see the grandparents and the road ways were full of wildflowers (you have to realize this is BEFORE the interstate system). It was so beautiful and even as children we could appreciate them.

Thanks so much for rekindling such fond memories with your pictures.:icon_bigsmile:

Plentziana
March 27th, 2015, 11:03 AM
That place so beautiful with these wonderful flowers, I have not ever seen but his vision happy day, in my country yet we continue to rain but our trees and feel the spring and they give us flowers, here are some of then105403105404

WendyI
March 27th, 2015, 11:08 AM
That place so beautiful with these wonderful flowers, I have not ever seen but his vision happy day, in my country yet we continue to rain

Plentziana...what country are you in? those look like cherry blossom trees. So pretty!

sewluvit
March 27th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Snippet, thank you for sharing these pics. I have been in Texas when the bluebonnets and primroses are blooming. Sure wish we were there now. We still have snow on the front lawn although it rained last night and this morning. Did I mention I love Texas? Lol

AnnieF
March 27th, 2015, 12:22 PM
I love this time of year. My daughters are old enough now (21 and 15) that I've resorted to taking bluebonnet pictures of the dogs! (For those who don't know, when the bluebonnets are out, it's a spring tradition for families to take pictures along the side of the road in the lushest fields.)

cyndiofthevortex
March 27th, 2015, 02:26 PM
So beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

snippet
March 27th, 2015, 06:35 PM
Yes Annie, I have pics of my kids in the bluebonnets too! It is a tradition.

Neller
March 27th, 2015, 06:43 PM
It's on my bucket list to see the wildflowers blooming in Texas! Lovely- thanks for sharing!

SallyO'Sews
March 27th, 2015, 09:04 PM
Sigh... This sure is pretty. My cousin in Houston posted FB pics of white bluebonnets today (didn't know there were such things).

We're getting more of that four-letter "S" word (no, not THAT word! :icon_rolleyes:) tomorrow. Not supposed to stick to more than the trees. Maybe spring will come by June?

Plentziana
March 28th, 2015, 12:37 PM
WendyI, live in northem Spain and wild plum trees are used for shade in parks and gardens but when flowers are adorable