PDA

View Full Version : Curious question

Hulamoon
March 25th, 2015, 11:33 PM
Iv'e been on a couple of forums and run across a a phrase that just baffles me. Someone asks a question for advice and a responder will say.blal blah... ask me how I know. What does that mean? We ask?

I'm so confused about that responce.

kimsophia
March 25th, 2015, 11:36 PM
Does it mean, "I have personal experience with this"? or in other words, "This has happened to me"?

auntiemern
March 25th, 2015, 11:36 PM
Not sure, but sounds kinda incomplete...like the whole response is not there. Kinda like heard it all before. Personally I find it quite rude.

K. McEuen
March 25th, 2015, 11:42 PM
It's another way of saying "been there, done that."

Hulamoon
March 25th, 2015, 11:43 PM
Not sure, but sounds kinda incomplete...like the whole response is not there. Kinda like heard it all before. Personally I find it quite rude.
Me too. .......

AnnieF
March 25th, 2015, 11:43 PM
It's meant to be self-deprecating, normally. "Don't do this thing, because it's a dumb mistake - I know because I've done it myself." Not intended to be rude at all.

Granny Judy
March 25th, 2015, 11:44 PM
I think they are meaning they have made that same mistake... and / or felt the same frustration. It is a way of poking fun at them selves. At least that is how I've looked at this/ that phrase.

RiverMomm
March 25th, 2015, 11:52 PM
I think this may be one of those times when the typed word doesn't really let you know it's humor. AnnieF is right-it's a self -deprecating joke and not in any way meant to be rude.

An example would be: It's never a good idea to load a new pounce pad, late at night in the bathroom. Ask me how I know!!

Another way to say that would be: I loaded a Pounce pad late at night in my bathroom and the chalk went everywhere. What a mess!!!

(yeah, I did it, the stupid chalk sort of jumped and then POOFED and I will prob have chalk dust in the bathroom for the next three years)

309Bella
March 26th, 2015, 02:07 AM
What is a pounce pad???

IBake
March 26th, 2015, 02:21 AM
"Well, Captain Obvious " as my youngest son says.....

Hulamoon
March 26th, 2015, 02:23 AM
What is a pounce pad???

It's for outlining quilting lines

http://www.amazon.com/Hancy-4-Ounce-Quilt-Pounce-Powder/dp/B000J3RSW6

bubba
March 26th, 2015, 03:50 AM
It's for outlining quilting lines

Amazon.com: Hancy 4-Ounce Quilt Pounce Pad with Chalk Powder, Blue (http://www.amazon.com/Hancy-4-Ounce-Quilt-Pounce-Powder/dp/B000J3RSW6)

Ask her how she knows......

Sorry, could not resist. I'll go to bed now!

toggpine
March 26th, 2015, 04:20 AM
I have also heard and may have said, "Don't ask me how I know."

As in: "It's a good idea to make sure your son knows which liquid dish soap to put in the dishwasher if you ask him to run it. Don't ask me how I know."

Again, indicating that there is more to the story, but it's embarrassing, messy, or long.
It may be one of those phrases that is right up there with regardless/irregardless on the irritation quotient.

cindirae
March 26th, 2015, 07:29 AM
I don't think it's rude at all. It's just someone saving me from reading a long story about it. If they say "Ask me how I know", I believe they've been through it, and I trust they know!

Blondie
March 26th, 2015, 07:35 AM
"Well, Captain Obvious " as my youngest son says.....

I would say the same and yet, strangely enough, I really dislike those Captain Obvious commercials. He is just so smarmy and creepy. lol.

Sonic
March 26th, 2015, 07:39 AM
Hmmm, I never thought about it being taken as rude, so thanks for asking.
I use it a lot to poke fun at myself for sure and save the reader from being grossed out because I realize many people do not have the same constitution that I do.
Like- when working in the barn, make sure Not to stand under the chickens who are roosting in the rafters...ask me how I know. :icon_razz: