PDA

View Full Version : Who knew that.

Swedish leo
March 25th, 2015, 04:07 PM
a can of cat food could be so evil?

I walked camly in the shop and reached up (of course it is on the top shelf) to grabb a couple of cans of cat food.
Then from nowhere a can decided to jump at me and bite me in the lip.

Well, I will have none of that I said and knocked him down with my lip in to my carrier.

Now I sit here and have a fat lip that is sour and pounding. Hmf...

Now to more pleasent conversation.

My new baby has come home.

I am a bit sad thou , it has brook during transportation.

The lid for the bobbin case has lost one of its hinges. and a lamp is off.

I have taken pictures and will contact the dealer first thing in the morning. It has to be fixed.

Other wise it works farily ok. We are not friends yet but I think we will be.
I have one more issue and I do not know way , I think this machine may not like my thread or it is the 505 spray baste it does not like.

When I loaded up a quilt sandwiches ( O that space :-) ) and started to fmq, the thread splitt.
over and over I tried with the same resultate. But When I tried all the other stitches before fmq
that did not happend.

Well,, I have to try and try again. Soner or later I get it working for me!

Now I am off to cook dinner and find some ice for my lip.

Have a nice day/Evening

Annika

K. McEuen
March 25th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Cans are bad! I dropped a can of chili on my toe once and smashed the bone and split the nail. Man, did that hurt.

Your new machine makes the old one look like a toy! So much throat space. I hope you can figure out the thread issues soon.

mahvelous mary
March 25th, 2015, 04:24 PM
oh my goodness.painful and annoying. I purchased my new expensive Janome last month, feel honored to be able to afford this wonderful machine but I can't lift it so I'm sad I can't take it out of my sewing room. I do have a cheap Singer to take with me though. I "took an oldsewing machine off the hands of a co-worker". A 1959 Singer Touch and Sew in a nice cabinet. SCORE.

Midge
March 25th, 2015, 04:25 PM
Gremlin attack! Poor Annika, sorry for your sore and swollen lip. Maybe be extra careful today if you decide to go out for a walk? Your new machine is just beautiful, and I'm so sorry you are off to a rocky start together. I hope the dealer comes through with new parts very quickly.

bubba
March 25th, 2015, 04:36 PM
I'm sorry for your mishap, but glad your machine arrived! Hopefully you two will become friends soon.

I have to admit, when I first read this, the word 'can' became 'cat' and I could not figure out why a cat was in the grocery store!

Monique
March 25th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Those darn cans. Feel better soon.

Sorry to hear about your machine troubles. I hope you get the issues resolved.

K. McEuen
March 25th, 2015, 05:12 PM
I could not figure out why a cat was in the grocery store!

Only if his name was Seamus ...

Swedish leo
March 25th, 2015, 05:15 PM
Thank you all

I can lett you know that it is a dream to sew with as loong as you putting stuff togheter.
Thread behaving to. And the 1/4 " seam is prefect!!

Now , If I only could figure out way the thread missbehave when fmq ing......

RiverMomm
March 25th, 2015, 05:19 PM
I am so sorry about your lip and the parts broken on the machine. I hope they are easy fixes and your dealer steps up quickly.

But, here I have to say . . . pretty, pretty pretty new machine!!!!!! You are going to LOVE it!

As for the thread splitting, I just had the same problem. After searching on the internet, I figured it might be my needle. I changed to a bigger needle and all went well. So, maybe try a top stitch needle?

Swedish leo
March 25th, 2015, 05:37 PM
I am so sorry about your lip and the parts broken on the machine. I hope they are easy fixes and your dealer steps up quickly.

But, here I have to say . . . pretty, pretty pretty new machine!!!!!! You are going to LOVE it!

As for the thread splitting, I just had the same problem. After searching on the internet, I figured it might be my needle. I changed to a bigger needle and all went well. So, maybe try a top stitch needle?

What do a top stitch needle look like ?

RiverMomm
March 25th, 2015, 05:47 PM
A top stitch needle has a little bit bigger hole for the thread. I think the size is 90/14.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/media/docs/topstitch-infographic.jpg

Jean Sewing Machine
March 25th, 2015, 05:49 PM
What a day you've had! Hope the broken gets fixed on the new machine!

I think a top stitch needle has a bigger eye, that gives the thread more space and it is less likely to shred! Good luck!

Swedish leo
March 25th, 2015, 05:51 PM
A top stitch needle has a little bit bigger hole for the thread. I think the size is 90/14.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/media/docs/topstitch-infographic.jpg

Aha! Thanks for the info.
It is sometimes hard to translate to swedish but now I know what you mean.

I think I have such needle at home. I will try it out to see if it makes a diffrens!

RiverMomm
March 25th, 2015, 05:51 PM
This is the brand I used (only because I found it in my baggie full of needles).

Amazon.com: SCHMETZ Top Stitch Needles Size 14 (http://www.amazon.com/SCHMETZ-Top-Stitch-Needles-Size/dp/B008MAR0EO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427316623&sr=8-1&keywords=Schmetz++top+stitch)

Patty J
March 25th, 2015, 06:11 PM
I use a top stitch needle for FMQ and also for sewing my tote bags together. I hope that that is the solution to your thread splitting. glad your machine came, but like the others I'm sorry that it wasn't in perfect condition for you. At least you can sew with it. Wishing you luck with getting the problems resolved. Your projects always look so interesting well made when I see what you do. you deserve a machine that works well with you.

Swedish leo
March 25th, 2015, 06:27 PM
I use a top stitch needle for FMQ and also for sewing my tote bags together. I hope that that is the solution to your thread splitting. glad your machine came, but like the others I'm sorry that it wasn't in perfect condition for you. At least you can sew with it. Wishing you luck with getting the problems resolved. Your projects always look so interesting well made when I see what you do. you deserve a machine that works well with you.

Awh how nice of you!

Thank you!

Swedish leo
March 26th, 2015, 04:03 AM
I found a top stitch needle that came with the machine and put it on.

I tried a bit of applique. Just cut out a fabric and put it on another fabric and tried the blanket stitch.
It worked like a charm.

I will try the fmq stuff again to night and see if it makes it any different.

Have a nice day/evening

Annika

dlsnaples
March 26th, 2015, 04:13 AM
Oh, your poor lip! The pain we go through for our furry babies.
Love your new machine! Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing and hearing of your new creations with her.

Betty Anne
March 27th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Ouch, hope you feel better soon. I had an issue with threads on my Pfaff when FMQ, even took a class at the quilt shop. The instructor finally gave up on me. I was using a cotton thread. Took it to the service tech, he got very frustrated and suggested I try a poly thread [ I know everyone hates poly] but they have changed so much. I used a tri-local poly from Bobbin Central - it's a long arm thread and looks like a soft beautiful cotton. Worked like a charm. I also tried " mirage" a rayon thread and am ecstatic with the results. Hope you find a solution that works for you and your new baby.

MariaNaito
March 27th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Congratulations on your new machine.
I had same problem with thread breaking, I thought my thread was old ( I had it about 16 years ago, box set for my embroidery machine). I changed needle (not sure what size was in there and what I changed it to )and cleaned and have not had a problem. I will make sure I have a 14 size in from now on when FMQ. Thanks for the advice ladies