PDA

View Full Version : Why am I sooo hungry??

RockinLou
March 25th, 2015, 11:34 AM
It's 8:30 at night and I'm starving! I had a good breakfast, lunch and dinner, I've drank plenty of water and yet I feel like I could eat a 8 oz. filet and a loaded baked potatoe if I had the chance.

I'm too lazy to make a snack though! Typical...

asta
March 25th, 2015, 12:44 PM
I always keep a large container of mixed nuts around for just such an occasion. Only problem is my DH seems to devour them way too quickly. Shh--I do have some hidden in my quilting room!

RockinLou
March 25th, 2015, 01:17 PM
I did have a few snacks in here, but the Legos also live in here, and last week our neighbor's soon was over playing and climbed up on my cutting table and took them and helped himself.... So I haven't figured out a safe way to stash things in here!!

I keep my area very clean and clear of scissors and cutters because I don't trust the kids when I'm not home... Our nanny irons in here while they play, but im sure the food stealing was not under her watchful eye.... First world problems!!

I am seriously hungry all the time, like when I was pregnant with my son, only I'm 100% sure im not pregnant!

Monique
March 25th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Are you sure??????????????????????????

Wwena
March 25th, 2015, 05:56 PM
My dietist (fancy!) says you need to eat a snack mid afternoon in order to not get hungry again after dinner. A good snack. :)

JCY
March 25th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Have you been checked out for diabetes? Hunger goes with that.

Suzyq
March 25th, 2015, 08:05 PM
I have the same problem.. It got so bad thAt my doc gave me a prescription for Wellbutrin which was designed originally to help smokers reduce their cravings. It also works to curb the appetite and reduce anxiety. It helps a bit, better than nothing! Worth checking into...

Quiltfreestyle
March 25th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Just had to mention 2 things,,
I took Welbutrin to help stop smoking. Didn't work & turned me into a zombie. Be careful, just sayin....
Also sometime fatigue can make you feel hungry. Could that be possible? I can tell from your posts ou are one busy lady..

kaydee
March 25th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Dehydration can make you feel hungry.

auntiemern
March 25th, 2015, 09:18 PM
Could possibly be some medicine or supplements you are taking. DGD was on a med one time and that child was eating non stop. We found out it was the medication she had been prescribed. Once she stopped that...her appetite got back to normal.

shirleyknot
March 25th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Most of the steroid meds will do that to ya. Ask me how I know.

Sylvia H
March 25th, 2015, 10:24 PM
Even when we are eating "healthy", our body may crave something it needs. Go eat that steak and baked potato!

pcbatiks
March 25th, 2015, 11:55 PM
Ravevous hunger.........a fun symptom of peri-menopause. Hungry while you are eating......talk about frustrating! I agree with Sylvia ........have the steak & potato. :)

RockinLou
March 25th, 2015, 11:57 PM
I'm sure I'm not pregnant, for a multitude of reasons, but I just had my period last week to confirm it.

It could definitely be fatigue, and I probably could do better to eat healthier during the day, I honestly don't slow down enough for a snack, and I could make an effort there. I also don't get enough sleep. If I went to bed when I'm tired I would never ever be alone!!

I have been checked for diabetes but not in a few years, I will ask again at my next check up about it.

I'm not on any medication except for birth control. I managed not to eat junk food last night, I drank more water and had an orange and a few crackers. I always say that today will be the day that I start exercising and eating healthy, but I feel like my whole like is a marathon, and I do eat quite well. I don't struggle with health or weight issues, and I am so thankful for that.

Thanks, friends, for all the things that I need to think about, a good reminder to actually take good care of myself and not just talk about taking good care of myself!!

RockinLou
March 26th, 2015, 12:00 AM
Even when we are eating "healthy", our body may crave something it needs. Go eat that steak and baked potato!

I can find a good steak here, but they have just not learned the beauty of a good baked potatoe here in Kazakhstan. I think I will buy some potatoes and make it at home tonight or tomorrow! I know DH would be happy about it too!

RockinLou
March 26th, 2015, 12:02 AM
Ravevous hunger.........a fun symptom of peri-menopause. Hungry while you are eating......talk about frustrating! I agree with Sylvia ........have the steak & potato. :)

I'm only 35... I thought I had a few years still?? I dont think we'll have more kids, but I'm not ready to lock that door closed!

JCY
March 26th, 2015, 12:29 AM
It sounds like you need to take better care of YOU! Eat regular healthy meals with a good balance of protein, fat, & carbs. Get more sleep. Find some quiet time to relax. Get some exercise, even if it's just a 20 min. walk in the fresh air. Be careful what you snack on. Both crackers & an orange are carbs. Maybe some cheese or nuts to go along with those. Have you learned to say "no"? Are you over committed? See your dr. Get a fasting glucose level as well as a Hemoglobin A1C to check your blood sugar levels. Just some suggestions. :)

starlover
March 26th, 2015, 12:46 AM
My daughter was in Okinawa for a few years. She said they had mashed potatoes all over the place, but none of the restaurants served them baked. She sure did miss those! Never thought of them as being an American food, but looks like there are quite a few places where they aren't common.

About the hunger, I've been diabetic since elementary school...and being hungry is just something normal for me. I'm constantly snacking on nuts, veggies, cheese...anything that will tide me over for a bit without raising the blood sugar. It's a pain!!! I certainly hope you don't have to deal with it! I've never gained weight since the snacks have no sugar or low carbs.

Quiltfreestyle
March 26th, 2015, 01:02 AM
I've learned the hard way that we DO need to take care of ourselves, not just say we need to do it.. I've found a good trick for me is to pick one good habit & do it faithfully each day for a month. Pick a bad habit too, & consciously NOT do it for a month. I've read it takes 30 days to make or break a habit. One change at a time is easier to maintain than trying to change everything at once.
Just thought I'd offer the suggestion...

Hulamoon
March 26th, 2015, 01:05 AM
I went into menopause really, really early! I'm 5'2'' and was 106 #'s. I went to 140. I'm steady now at 118-120. It was tough. I was like why am I gaining so much?

It sure is hard being a girl.

Vonnie
March 26th, 2015, 06:26 AM
Stress will also make you hungry.

How about a bag of 94% FF buttered popcorn and a big glass of water or unsweet tea to go with it. This is what I do when I'm hungry and should not be.

Or try a peanut butter and banana sandwich with a glass of milk.

And, I have two relatives that I know of that started "the change" at 35. It's early but everyone is different.

snippet
March 26th, 2015, 06:31 AM
It could be just a response to the change of season and weather.

rebeccas-sewing
March 26th, 2015, 08:25 AM
If it continues you should pay a visit to the doctor. Could be an underlying problem.

RockinLou
March 26th, 2015, 11:27 AM
It sounds like you need to take better care of YOU! Eat regular healthy meals with a good balance of protein, fat, & carbs. Get more sleep. Find some quiet time to relax. Get some exercise, even if it's just a 20 min. walk in the fresh air. Be careful what you snack on. Both crackers & an orange are carbs. Maybe some cheese or nuts to go along with those. Have you learned to say "no"? Are you over committed? See your dr. Get a fasting glucose level as well as a Hemoglobin A1C to check your blood sugar levels. Just some suggestions. :)

I do eat regular healthy meals, we rarely eat out more than once a week and meals are well balanced. I don't snack much though, so I think healthier snacks in the afternoon would be a good choice.

I'm a full time teacher and mom to two young kids. The beauty of teaching is the vacation schedule, the downside is that when we are working the days are intense and long and extra stressful, especially at this time of year with two of my students who will not be able to pass to the next level of the curriculum and have severe special needs that our school does not support the way it would be done in the US. So yes, I am over-committed and stressed at the moment, but there's not a whole lot that I can do about those realities.
I do get outside every afternoon for a walk, and now that my daughter has a bike I plan to do it even more often! I am pretty sure if I go to bed at a reasonable hour that I could avoid the whole mess, but the hour after they go to sleep is the only quiet hour I manage to get all day, so I really need that time for my brain to recoup.
Next year I have a different teaching assignment, I'm thinking it will help reduce my stress at work, as im a better fit and better trained for that position.
Only 45 more days of school until summer break!!