PDA

View Full Version : Caffeinated Night Owl

kimsophia
March 25th, 2015, 02:45 AM
Okaly Dokely, neighbors! (That's my Ned Flanders impression). I hope that you are enjoying the late or early morning hours today. I'm going to enjoy them when I get some more of this coffee in me, I hope. I'm looking forward to doing more glue basting on my orange quilt. I did it to two blocks this morning and it worked well. This could be a great deal faster and less frustrating for me, because stabbing myself with pins is one of the banes of sewing to me. I'll be moving my ironing board downstairs next to the design wall and basting up the long rows so I can sew tomorrow. My poor old brain can't handle two steps at once, like when Jenny sews and then immediately irons in her tutorial. I need to sew them all one day, iron them all the next. This quilt is very directional and carefully laid out. I am so bad at flipping and cutting directional fabrics for garment sewing. I can try very hard and yet still, I get it wrong. But I think with this method I can get things right! Woohoo!! :D

I hope everyone is happy and healthy...how's it going in your neck of the woods? :)

@,@

bubba
March 25th, 2015, 03:06 AM
Oh dear!! I would not like having to travel to the ironing board!! I have mine set up right next to my sewing table and all I have to do is spin a bit in my chair, press, and get back to sewing! Years ago when I took a quilt as you go class, this was how I was taught to do it, so there it sits, lowered to table height and off we go!

With all that coffee you are drinking, will you be awake all night? I don't drink coffee, so I really don't know how it affects you. Do you sleep during the day? Inquiring minds want to know!

Juliet Taylor
March 25th, 2015, 03:19 AM
In my wood it's too sunny!
LOL, in Italy we're going to change the clock this coming Saturday night, DH didn't close well the window curtain and I woke up half an hour earlier than usual. Not too bad though, since I could check EVERY thread in the Show and Tell section while having breakfast :)
Now since it's 07:17 I'm going to take a shower and get ready for work! Today I work all my hours straight even during lunch break while the shop is closed due to some needs of the work's organization so that means I can go to a cool LQS I'm dying to go again :D
And my friend is gifting me with some fabric, nice!

Wishing you a pleasant staying on your branches ladies! :)

snippet
March 25th, 2015, 03:51 AM
Sounds like y'all are getting things done! Tonight was my time with the quilting trio. We quilted all the trivets and table runners, top stitched some snap bags and closed up seams on some little stuffed critters I made. Everything is ready for the sale this weekend! I should make some more stuffed critters but if I don't that will be fine.

I've got a darn headache now. I took some aspirin, which didn't help, so I'm waiting a bit before I take something more powerful.

Quiltfreestyle
March 25th, 2015, 03:54 AM
I'm still up to,, got a nap today & that must have messed up my sleep cycle. Going to spend some time figuring out the math for my soon to be DIL's quilt. Finally decided on a 2 different blocks that I will set on point & alternate across the quilt. One is a 9 patch variation & the other is an Ohio Star variation. The 9 patch forms a nice secondary pattern.
The wedding is coming up in a few weeks & I really want to get this finished in time to give it to her a special wedding present..
It's only lap size so I should be able to get it done in time.

kimsophia
March 25th, 2015, 04:21 AM
Hello again! To answer your question, bubba, yes, I am up nights and sleep days. I usually go to bed after sunrise and wake up afternoonish. But even that schedule has gotten interrupted yesterday into two nap times with a groggy afternoon of feeling too sleepy to do anything with my brain in between. I should add that a have a prescription medicine (Trazadone) that I usually have to take before a sleep session to get me to conk out, or I will just lay tiredly in bed, not falling asleep. I do sometimes try to sleep without it but that rarely works, and I get up and take it.

I have to say that I enjoy being up nights so I can work on my quilts in peace and quiet. I can have the TV off or playing channels I like, or Netflix movies. It's not a problem for me to be up nights except when I'm not alert enough to sew.

And I just glue basted a five block long row. It went well. I had to quit because the pieces on my design wall got screwed up over the few weeks when it was not being used. Some fell off and for an unknown reason I pulled all the Belle Epoque blocks off of it and put them upstairs in my usual sewing room. I have no memory of why I did that. It's queer, because I went to such pains to arrange every stinking block. But I've found them again and will stick them on again..."of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most". But thank goodness I took some photos of it when it was new and I can put the rows in the right place again. YAY for exterior brains. :)

toggpine
March 25th, 2015, 05:18 AM
I should have been in bed about an hour ago. Dang this computer! So many fascinating things to read & check out.

I think I have the laundry done for spring cleaning. (Curtains, couch blankies, bed blankies, etc.) I even pre-treated Em's favorite bear and put her through the wash. Her poor muzzle had turned from snowy white to grey and her fur was looking a bit matted. Oxyclean laundry pretreater and a stiff bristled scrub brush fixed her right up. I know they don't like you to wash the stuffies in the washer. If you run them in in the first load and then leave them in the dryer for about 3 or 4 loads, they will get dry internally. (OR, you can unstuff them first, but that is a bit more tricky.)

I snuck in about 45 minutes worth of a nap this after noon on the couch! Sshhh! Don't tell! I should have been using that time at the sewing machine, but I put warm flax bags on my knee and ankle and dropped off.

The baby goats are getting big. Now that the two boys are gone, there is enough milk left in the bucket for them to eat all day. I'm not having to supplement with my dwindling stash of frozen milk from last fall either.

I am attaching photos of the lamb bar bucket. It is basically specially shaped nipples popped through a standard bucket and fitted with vinyl tubing to make a straw. We start the kids on the same nipple fitted to a soda bottle from their first feeding. Once they are eating well and realize it's the nipple that has the milk, and not my knees, they are transitioned to the bucket. Pretty slick actually. Some of the folks have up to a dozen holes drilled on a 5 gallon bucket and feed a ton of kids that way. I can't lift full 5 gallon buckets, so we go for the smaller sizes and just have more buckets if we have a lot of kids.

My husband made a sassy remark about me making him a stuffed Aardvark. (I made one for Em & I when I first received the pattern.) Guess who's birthday is next week? Uh huh. I will have to get that done. I'll also make him a pair of fleece slippers to go with it.

I must really go get some sleep. I'm rambling!
Sweet Dreams friends! C

kimsophia
March 25th, 2015, 06:04 AM
Oh, ramble away; I do it plenty enough...I've been enjoying the glue basting. It can form amazing feats of seam matching! I think it will make a big difference in that for me. However I'm noticing I did a lousy job of cutting these blocks...I'm going to have to trim up each row. Ack. They are supposed to be 8 1/2 inch blocks but I had no idea to first cut rows 8 1/2 inch wide, then section it down to blocks. I bought an 8 1/2 inch square template and was slicing around it on yardage. This cut a bunch of nicks as I overshot the edge of template with my rotary cutter that then showed up in the next block...ack. It's within the seam allowances and I used some interfacing to bandage the nicks shut. Oh well, live and learn.

A stuffed aardvark sounds fun! I've made a small horse, and a little froggie. I want to make a dachshund neck warmer for my hubby. I'll need to enlarge a pattern to adult size, though. That would be fun to do after this quilt. :)

Keep hooting! :) How are yooooooooou....???

MayinJerset
March 25th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Pretty much slept through the night but wanted to stop by to see who was Hooting in their trees during night and also to catch Cathy's next lesson in goat raising. Very interesting and a lot of work but it must be rewarding.

bubba
March 25th, 2015, 01:50 PM
That baby goat setup is interesting!! You say some of the boys are already gone. How old can they be when they are separated from their moms?

toggpine
March 25th, 2015, 05:51 PM
We separate them at birth.
I let the mothers clean them up. It's good for the moms and the kids. The 'cleaning up' releases hormones that mom needs to shrink her uterus and increase milk production. The licking stimulates the kids' circulation. Sometimes I put them in muck tubs so they can't nurse their dams. This is especially helpful if I have more than one kidding at a time, or they decide to kid during milk chores.

Once they are dried off and starting to stand, I bottle feed the newborn kids the heat-treated colostrum. It is much easier to bottle feed them from the beginning than to try to switch them to a bottle from dam raising.

By milking the dams and bottle/bucket feeding the kids, I can adjust the feed for the dams depending on their milk out put. I can also increase the amount of milk for the kids if they need it. This spring, the doe that kidded triplets only has enough milk for maybe one of them due to an udder infection.

As long as the kids are healthy & eating well, they can go to a new home right away, as long as someone is willing to feed them. We have sold them for pets and pack goats that young. The new owners wanted the kids to imprint on them. Personally, I wouldn't let them go at less than a week.

Quiltfreestyle
March 25th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Hey Cathie
Just wanted to say thanks for your posts. I'm finding all your details of farm life really fascinating.
Thank you :)

bubba
March 25th, 2015, 08:43 PM
Wow!! That is certainly interesting!! Are these big goats or pigmy goats?

toggpine
March 25th, 2015, 10:27 PM
Patt, I don't want to bore anyone, but if someone asks, I'll answer their questions.

We all know such different things. I am amazed at the non-quilting stuff I have learned from this forum over the years!

Pat, my girls are standard (big) dairy goats. The biggest girl is about 180#. Our biggest bucks have pushed 300#.
I have milked a pygmy and it was not pleasant. They are too short for me to milk comfortably, and their teats & udders aren't really designed to be hand milked. I had to milk into a shallow bowl as the regular bucket won't go. Thankfully the kids perked up and figured out how to nurse, and I didn't have to milk her very long.

bubba
March 25th, 2015, 10:33 PM
Thankfully the kids perked up and figured out how to nurse, and I didn't have to milk her very long.

Put her on stools!!!! I had no idea goats weigh that much!!! Holy cow....I mean goat!

Granny Judy
March 25th, 2015, 11:39 PM
Lots of love and work goes into having animals.. and I admire you so much, toggpine! I was raised on a farm, but we didn't have too many animals.. once a cow and then, Mom's pigs for "mad" money. We got Chickens every year and every year we had a freezer full and lots of work plucking feathers. My job was the garden and help with the canning every Fall..

Just flyin' by on my way to my roosting place for the night.. Worked a bit on the Binding Tool quilt today. DD was home all week with some type of bug..taking antibiotics gives her all the "side effects" and she suffers from those as much as suffering from the bug that she caught. Lymph glands are swollen under both arms; but getting better.

Hope everyone has a peaceful night and no storms to go thru. Don't want to get caught up in one of those and find I've been blown 50 miles off course.

kimsophia
March 26th, 2015, 12:22 AM
Whee! The glue basting went well last night and I am looking forward to doing more. I discovered that I had sewn two rows of blocks together already and have no memory of doing that...but I looked in my old email and I wrote to my cousin about it...lol Good grief. :P lol I prefer to think that the magic quilting fairies are helping me... :)

April R
March 26th, 2015, 02:31 AM
I just got the final 13 squares cut for a charity quilt I am making plus assembled two of the 25 larger squares, sewed and pressed those because I couldn't wait to see how they looked put together!
Its past 12 am so I think its time for the hubs and I to hit the hay before we have to get up in 6hrs to get the kiddlets off to school!
Time flies when you are quilting fun ;)

toggpine
March 26th, 2015, 04:11 AM
April, I'm NOT a fan of orange. That being said, I really like the beginnings of your quilt. It reminds me of orange and raspberry sherbet. I look forward to seeing more as it gets put together!

Judy, the animals do take work, but we are richly rewarded for taking care of them. We have milk in the fridge (and cheese), eggs, and meat when we butcher. We also have a lovely (never ending) supply of compost for the gardens which help fill the freezer and the canning jars. Are we completely self-reliant? No, but we certainly enjoy what we do grow and trade with our neighbors!

Pat, some of the goats are HUGE. Rosie will take you for a drag if she can get away with it. Most of them are around 140/150# though. I certainly had some fun in the kid pen today. I sat in there and was pretty much a climbing toy for 4 fuzz balls. They are so soft and one loves to snuggle in my lap. 15 minutes in there and I felt much better. No matter how cranky doing the taxes made me, they didn't care.
Thankfully THAT task is done for another year! Whoo Hoo!

I'm off to tuck into the nest for the night.
Hopefully those crazy storms will peter out and everyone will be safe and sound!
Sweet dreams all y'all! Cathy

dlsnaples
March 26th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Cathy, I too never tire of hearing you talk about your care and tending to goats. What an ingenious method of feeding more than one at a time. Does individually feeding each one help them to imprint/bond better to humans than starting with the bucket feeding?
What fun to be a human climbing toy! Enjoy your special time with the babies. Of course, I realize we readers see the fun and sweetness, not the hard work of what you do.
Thank you for sharing. I appreciate and enjoy your posts.

kimsophia
March 26th, 2015, 04:53 AM
It's sweet to see and hear about the dear baby goats...and your family's self sufficiency is heartening. In high school I wanted to be a subsistence farmer...idealistic but not realistic as I knew nothing about farm work. But I guess quilting does have some of the virtues of making one's own bedding, clothes, etc. I am going to be taking an online Laura Ingalls Wilder class and just today got "Young Pioneers" by Rose Wilder Lane in the mail. It's one of the readings. I do enjoy those books on pioneer life. I'm sure the hard everyday work would quickly disabuse me of my dreams. I'm way lazy.

Speaking of way lazy, I'm not working on the quilt but not because I'm lazy but I've been sick. :P I'm taking a break from watching "Amadeus" on Netflix. I hope all you other night owls are feeling better as I sit on the branch with my feathers puffed up. How's it going with you? @,@

MayinJerset
March 26th, 2015, 05:55 AM
I'm also enjoying hearing about goat raising. So many different lifestyles among the forum members.

Been sleeping more hours at night, does two 4 ht sleeps equal an 8 hr one?
Working on a applique block trying to decide what pieces get put down first.

toggpine
March 26th, 2015, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure how/why others start their kids, maybe Sonic will pop in and let us know what she does.
I start mine on the bottle because it's easier for them. Even if the bucket is full, it takes a bit of suction to get the milk up the tube for the 'reward'. Newborns don't have the patience to work that hard.
Secondly they want a warm body. Instinct tells them that what they want is warm and soft, and at the very least, next to a warm leg. I usually have to cup my hand lightly over their face to encourage them to eat. Some prefer the, under-the-leg-behind-the-knee location. Once they find it, I can use gravity to supply milk to the nipple and they can eat as fast as they want. A rubber nipple on a hard bucket isn't really going to work for the first few feedings.
After 48 hours, or so they realize that the eats are in the bottle and they head straight for the nipple and not my knees. That's when I transition them to the bucket. I make sure the milk comes up the tubes as far as I can by filling a smaller interior jar or bottle with milk. It takes a bit of practice, but they usually figure it out quickly.
As for bonding, the kids do realize who the milk lady is. I make sure I spend time in the pen holding and touching them. It makes for better animals over all.
Even though I am raising the kids, the moms can see them. Some are much more attentive than others, to the point of checking over the kids after I return them to the main pasture. Other does can't get away fast enough from those weird things that just came out of them! I do have a few that steal babies. Which is kind of nice if a "bad" momma kids when I'm not home. The babies will at least be cleaned off and protected, even if they are a bit hungry.

April R
March 26th, 2015, 04:00 PM
April, I'm NOT a fan of orange. That being said, I really like the beginnings of your quilt. It reminds me of orange and raspberry sherbet. I look forward to seeing more as it gets put together!

Hehe. My color choices, like myself, are usually really loud and a bit tacky. ;) plus I had yards of that orange left from a UT Memphis quilt I made my husband as a graduation present. :)

kimsophia
March 26th, 2015, 10:15 PM
lol...I hope it isn't tacky as I paid $9.99 a yard for Kaffe Fassett's fabric...lol ;-) ha ha

dlsnaples
March 27th, 2015, 02:17 AM
How sweet that the Good Mommas look out for the kids of the, let's call them "indifferent Mommas". Maybe the mothering gene passed them by.
We often cup the chin and jaw of human babies in the NICU to encourage them to eat.
Bottle fed human babies sometimes need encouragement to know the milk is coming from an artificial nipple too. Some that start at the breast have a very difficult time transitioning---like your kids.
I think babies are much alike no matter the mammal species. Warm milk, soft touch and voice shows them love and teaches trust.

Please keep the stories and pics coming. I look for your posts each night. Thank you.