PDA

View Full Version : Babyfood cookbooks

Hulamoon
March 24th, 2015, 10:01 PM
I'm going to buy dd a mini chopper to make baby food like I did. Now they have books for everything. Have you used any of these, or waste of time?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_17?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=baby+food+cookbooks&sprefix=babyfood+cookbook%2Caps%2C445

KPH
March 24th, 2015, 10:18 PM
My son and dil, started both of their kids with peas, black beans and sweet potatoes. They don't mash much at all.

Esther really wanted the plate of bbq that Papa made for GGma, but at 6 mths her mom didn't think it was
wise. You should have seen her grabbing for that plate!

Precious memories!

Katrina

songbird857
March 24th, 2015, 10:41 PM
I think one of those books would be a great gift with the chopper, Lorie :) Especially for a new mom trying to figure out proportions!

Hulamoon
March 24th, 2015, 11:04 PM
I think one of those books would be a great gift with the chopper, Lorie :) Especially for a new mom trying to figure out proportions!
That's what I was thinking. I was looking for a gift that no one would think of. Just in case I can't finish a quilt. lol

Bouse
March 25th, 2015, 06:27 AM
When my little boy was a baby, I used to cook up the food that we would eat but just not add any salt to it and used a blender to mush it up. I would freeze it in ice cube trays and then have lots of bags of frozen blocks of food ready at any time. It was also easy to work out how much he was eating and as he got bigger, I just gave him more cubes. I didn't use a recipe book though.

RockinLou
March 25th, 2015, 11:32 AM
I used Super Baby Food and LOVED it. It had great recipes, yes, but lots more info about when babies are ready for what and how to make things in a mass production way, which saves a ton of money. I would also advise some trays or containers for freezing baby food.

I used this book and a website:
Wholesome Homemade Baby Food Recipes | Make Fresh Baby Food, Healthy Homemade Baby Food, it's easy with new baby food recipes, solid food tips, baby nutrition & more! (http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/)

We lived in Morocco where jarred food wasn't available, I did a lot of the same with my son, but we were in the states and I was single-parenting so I did more store bought with him... In the end my daughter is a much more adventurous eater than my son!!

toggpine
March 25th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Great idea!
I had a couple of books, might still have them on the shelf. It was helpful for figuring out the best way to freeze certain items so they stayed appetizing.

In hind-sight I wish I would have incorporated more of 'our' food into her early meals. I think it would have broadened her palate. Although she has NEVER liked green beans.

Quiltfreestyle
March 25th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Cathy, don't give up on the green beans yet. My DIL#2 grew up hating just about all veggies. When she married my son the only veggies she would eat were Ceasar salads. My boys grew up eating pretty much anything that didn't bite them first, so she just naturally started trying out new foods. em may learn to like green beans As she grows.
Lori the baby food cookbook & chopper is a really creative idea, especially when you hear about all the nasty stuff they put in food nowadays.

Hulamoon
March 25th, 2015, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the website RockinLou.I didn't have a computer untill the girls were six and seven so I just loved books. Now Borders is gone, which totally sucks. lol

I thought it was a fun idea too. She can pass the book on, and I still use my mini chopper for small little things. It's super handy.

RockinLou
March 26th, 2015, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the website RockinLou.I didn't have a computer untill the girls were six and seven so I just loved books. Now Borders is gone, which totally sucks. lol

I thought it was a fun idea too. She can pass the book on, and I still use my mini chopper for small little things. It's super handy.

You're welcome!! I am a book person by nature but living overseas it's hard to find books in English and too expensive to keep them and haul them, so for early years of parenting I had to use the Internet.

Wwena
March 26th, 2015, 05:24 PM
I had a book (a Swedish one) and a pamphlet from the baby nurse. I cooked special baby food but if I'd do it again all over, I'd just make baby versions of our food instead and go easy on the spices. I believed all that cr*p about babies dieing if they got any salt in their systems lol.

My favourite recipe was a chicken stew with lots of tarragon and a really simple tomato sauce that could be the base for anything, as far as my kids were concerned:
- 1 (good) can of diced tomatoes
- 50 g of butter (1.8 oz)
- 1/2 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
Pour the tomatoes into a saucepan and add the butter. Heat it up and let the butter melt. Peal an onion and cut it in half horisontally. Put one half into the sauce. Same goes for the garlic clove, but add both halves. Let it simmer fo a few mins. Remove the onion and garlic and mix it smooth. Perfect basic baby tomato sauce!

I once forgot to tell DH to remove the garlic clove and he mixed the sauce with it still in it. Garlic smell came off David in waves for days after lol.

Hulamoon
March 26th, 2015, 05:33 PM
I had a book (a Swedish one) and a pamphlet from the baby nurse. I cooked special baby food but if I'd do it again all over, I'd just make baby versions of our food instead and go easy on the spices. I believed all that cr*p about babies dieing if they got any salt in their systems lol.

My favourite recipe was a chicken stew with lots of tarragon and a really simple tomato sauce that could be the base for anything, as far as my kids were concerned:
- 1 (good) can of diced tomatoes
- 50 g of butter (1.8 oz)
- 1/2 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
Pour the tomatoes into a saucepan and add the butter. Heat it up and let the butter melt. Peal an onion and cut it in half horisontally. Put one half into the sauce. Same goes for the garlic clove, but add both halves. Let it simmer fo a few mins. Remove the onion and garlic and mix it smooth. Perfect basic baby tomato sauce!

I once forgot to tell DH to remove the garlic clove and he mixed the sauce with it still in it. Garlic smell came off David in waves for days after lol.

Knowing her boyfriend, he would chop up Taco Bell. lol

sewluvit
March 26th, 2015, 10:45 PM
Lorie, I think the mini chopper and book are a great idea and we all know that little grandchild will have more than one quilt from grandma!