PDA

View Full Version : The Stitchin' Night Owl

kimsophia
March 23rd, 2015, 02:07 AM
Hootie hoo to all! Are you having a nice night? I'm enjoying finishing up the hand quilting on the iris quilt. Yes, I only have about three square inches left. A-MEN! Overall, I like the look of my work. This last area has a bit too much batting but in my opinion, better too puffy than too flabby. ;-) My opinion on my weight, too! hee hee

I'm very glad that the snow band forecast for tomorrow is staying north of us. I have one crocus blooming. It is purple.

How are the other night owls tonight? :)

@,@

toggpine
March 23rd, 2015, 02:15 AM
Well, instead of sewing, I baked today.
I have 12 dozen snickerdoodles baked and 2 dozen banana bread muffins. Then there was lunch and supper in there along with the changing of bed linens and standard laundry. I'll send Eric to work with some of the cookies tomorrow. that will make the boys happy.
Em is tucked in to bed, hubby is snoring in the recliner, and I'm headed down to the barn with the kids' overnight milk bucket and to top off the feeders. I'll probably run the batch of milk for the kids' breakfast so it won't scald them. THEN I'll go enjoy my fresh sheets on my bed.
Maybe.
If Hubby isn't snoring up a storm....

Maybe tomorrow I'll get to the sewing room. Maybe.

bubba
March 23rd, 2015, 02:24 AM
I worked a bit on the dreaded lute, then the oldest daughter called and needed us to take the truck to Costco to pick something they bought up. Got home, watched a movie (Last Vegas...love it!), ate lunch and took a nap till 1930!!! I'll be up half the night!

I just saw a tutorial for labels and I would attempt to make some, but all the stores are closed where I'd get the supplies, so that is out of the question.

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I can't wait till tomorrow, and I will label away!!

MomGram
March 23rd, 2015, 02:53 AM
Hi, I'm good tonight. Took a nap today so I will be up late sewing too. Planned a frozen lasagna for dinner but son brought home pizza. He doesn't do that very often, twice a year maybe, so enjoyed. Will have the lasagna another night. The house I have on the market is supose to close Tuesday. They have already moved the close date once so I hope this happens this week. I have never sold a house before it is very nerve racking. I was renting the house out but I never had good luck with the tenants (even when it was family). So will be glad to not have the worry any more. On the other hand this was the house I made into a home for me and my boys after my husband was killed, so there are some strong emotions tied to the house.
Thanks for letting me ramble on. Headed to the sewing room for a couple hours.

MayinJerset
March 23rd, 2015, 03:40 AM
Sending a Hooting Hello to other Night Owls. It's 2:30 and I'm awake for awhile. Tried to go back to sleep by watching some TV but it was so boring it kept me up, LOL!

After cooking and cleaning a lot on Sat. I had it pretty easy today. Family was visiting for the weekend and DH make breakfast and family helped themselves to leftover pizza and/or soup for lunch before they left for home so I had a restful day. Now I'm going to load some photos on line and get a few emails sent. 104984

dlsnaples
March 23rd, 2015, 04:06 AM
togpine,
I want to visit YOUR house. I bet it smells divine.
I'm awake again, semi fretting because my 17 is still over at a friend's watching Forrest Gump. I know he is safe, but can't sleep until he is home in bed. Silly me. Tomorrow is the last day of spring break so then we will all be back in our routine.
My job tomorrow is to go through my stash and assign patterns to all the precuts I have collected since October when I had my hand done. I get to try my hand at quilting again instead of just dreaming of quilting.
Does anyone have a favorite pattern suggestion?
Fabric choices are varied with everything from batiks to rainbow jelly rolls to Moda's Bandanna, Santibel and a roses and chocolate layer cake.
My poor DH has thankfully indulged my M* DD addiction. LOL.
Good dreams to all when you do get to sleep.

snippet
March 23rd, 2015, 04:13 AM
I am having a good day. I did oversleep an miss church though. The rain stopped and the sun came out and it got up to 70 which was nice. I spent most of the day turning and ladder stitching about 24 hot pad trivets and 2 table runners. I pressed them all nicely and then started on quilting them. I finished a table runner and I stitched around the edge of the hot pad trivets. I'm contemplating if I should quilt anymore in them or not.

I had a lovely piece of salmon in a mustard glaze for dinner. Does anyone do Once a Month Cooking? My sister and I have done it a few times and this salmon is from my frozen stash. Even for just me, it's nice to have a meal to thaw and cook. Cooking for one person is such a waste of time unless you freeze additional portions.

Oh a purple crocus! I love crocus!

Pat, what label tutorial are you talking about?

Anita, hope your house closes soon too. I kept my mom's house after she passed for longer than necessary. But I just couldn't put it on the market because it had so many memories. Finally I did and one of her neighbors down the street bought it the day I put the FOR SALE sign out. They bought it without even walking inside for a look; they said they knew my mom and what a caring person she was and knew she would have taken care of the house too so they weren't worried. What a great feeling I had - knowing it went to neighbors.

Well it sounds like we all had a good day! May we have many more!

redcaboose1717
March 23rd, 2015, 05:06 AM
I know how you feel about your home that you shared with your 'DH prior to his death. I am still living in the house that we had before my DH passed away unexpectedly in 2002...( he was just 48 yrs old ) ...I have remarried, and we have talked about selling the house, but something just stops me......who knows ? I know deep in my heart that my deceased DH Terry wouldn't have minded if I had sold the house, and due to his chronic illness, he was always telling me that if he died, he wanted me to go on with my life, which I have done but it's been difficult I will admit.
It's been almost 13 yrs since my DH Terry passed, and I still enjoy the memories we made in this house, and love all the remodeling he did here.....
Basically I should have sold the house a couple of years after I lost Terry, but just couldn't do that. Now with the housing market being so soft, I am reluctant to sell it really.
I am up because I can't sleep due to health issues of my own. I am trying to decide which quilt ( this would be my first quilt ) to start. I do think I will probably work on more than one quilt at the same time, just because I seem to get bored very easily when working on a single sewing project. I tend to finish any clothing items I start, but have held off starting a quilt for fear it will end up a UFO.....I wonder how many quilters are like this.....afraid to begin a quilt project I mean ?
Hope your home closes on Tuesday !

kimsophia
March 23rd, 2015, 05:20 AM
Great to hear from everyone :) I just did a bit of embroidery just to secure some of the loose applique pieces on this quilt. If I had known what a job it is to fix all this I would never let it fall into such disrepair...on the other hand, I had no idea how to quilt 25 years ago when I was using it on my bed. Nor how to reattach binding...but I held onto so that SOMEDAY I would find somebody to fix it and that person turned out to be...25 years older me! :D

I'm off to find some tutorials on affixing binding to scalloped edges...

kimsophia
March 23rd, 2015, 06:30 AM
Hmm, well, there are several ways to do it but none look like the method originally used on this quilt. I'll have to look more tomorrow.

There's a strange noise going on outside and that is, thunder! I haven't heard thunder in months. :)

bubba
March 23rd, 2015, 02:47 PM
Thunder scares the poop out of me!!

bscuzz
March 23rd, 2015, 03:01 PM
Well, instead of sewing, I baked today.
I have 12 dozen snickerdoodles baked and 2 dozen banana bread muffins. Then there was lunch and supper in there along with the changing of bed linens and standard laundry. I'll send Eric to work with some of the cookies tomorrow. that will make the boys happy.
Em is tucked in to bed, hubby is snoring in the recliner, and I'm headed down to the barn with the kids' overnight milk bucket and to top off the feeders. I'll probably run the batch of milk for the kids' breakfast so it won't scald them. THEN I'll go enjoy my fresh sheets on my bed.
Maybe.
If Hubby isn't snoring up a storm....

Maybe tomorrow I'll get to the sewing room. Maybe.

OK, I can't help myself -

As a kid I saw people milking cows (by hand), we lived right above the pasture with cows, bulls, pigs, chickens, etc. - and "top off the feeders" I assume you're making sure they all have full feeders for the night, but "run the batch of milk for the kids' breakfast so it won't scald them." is a bit foreign to me (know cow's milk is warm, but do you sterilize/pasteurize on site?) 'n I need translation - hope you don't mind, I really love reading your posts and mostly I understand, just not always.

Forgot to say, it's way past "Night Owl" time - actually half way to tonight's NO time - just tuning in here late and had my 'burning question' about the animals!!!

toggpine
March 23rd, 2015, 05:36 PM
B you are correct on the feeder topping. I did make sure the hay was full.

While we drink our milk raw, I do pasteurize the milk before feeding back to the baby goats. I'd also pasteurize it before offering it to any one other than our immediate family. Thus the "running a batch of milk" routine.
While our last tests came back negative on the herd, I do have one old lady who is still Caprine Arthritis Encephalitis Virus (CAEV) positive. If it's particularly virulent it will manifest itself as brain swelling (encephalitis) in the kids. More typically it will affect slightly older animals and cause painful joint swelling (arthritis) and complications with other body functions. It usually shortens the animals lifespan and productivity. (A goat life expectancy is 8 to 12 years.)
My Old Lady is 13 and although she tests positive, she has no symptoms. I am still not taking any chances with our future generations, so I heat-treat the colostrum and pasteurize the milk to break the cycle.

I don't mind answering your questions! Ask away!

bubba
March 23rd, 2015, 06:17 PM
Here is my question....do you milk them all by hand or hook them to machines? How long does each one take?

toggpine
March 23rd, 2015, 09:20 PM
Right now, I am hand milking. I have two and a half in milk. (One doe only has 1/2 of her udder that is making milk .) As the rest of the does come on line and the production increases I may switch to the machine. It will depend on my hands.
At some point they may stiffen up to the point I can't close my fist all the way. When that happens I can't milk, and the cramps keep me from doing anything else very productive. I have to weigh the time it takes to milk by hand at a pace I can manage versus the time it takes to clean out the machine and all of the tubing after milking. I actually like to hand milk, and I have a few does who prefer it to the suck-a-luxe (milk machine).
The length of time it takes to milk depends on how much milk each does has to give, and how her udder is constructed. If she has tiny orifices the milk takes a lot longer to milk. (Think pinhole leak versus squirt bottle.) I'd say 5 to 10 minutes is average depending. You should expect about 1/2 gallon, or more, per milking from a good, mature doe.

Quiltfreestyle
March 23rd, 2015, 09:43 PM
Cathy this is fascinating to me. I've always wanted to live on a farm but. Never got the chance. My mom would take us to the county fairs when we were kids & we would hang out in the animal barns looking at all the different farm animals. That and a boatload of various small animals / reptiles as pets was as close as I ever got to my farm. I got to milk a goat once, got a ribbon to prove it too. LOL
How did you learn so much??? Did you grow up on a farm ?

bscuzz
March 23rd, 2015, 10:27 PM
Toggpine, if you keep 'this tutorial' going . . pretty soon we'll all be able to come be your 'farm hands'!!!! :icon_crazy:

kimsophia
March 23rd, 2015, 10:36 PM
I got to milk a goat once, got a ribbon to prove it too. LOL

Did you ever milk a cat? ;-)

(A "Meet the Parents" joke) :D