PDA

View Full Version : Grrr. A Frustrating Afternoon Froggin' & Taking Apart Quilt Sandwich

JCY
March 23rd, 2015, 12:41 AM
Today I had the latest baby quilt all pinned & ready for FMQ. I machine basted around the edge. However.... I was not happy with the way the backing fabric looked. It was too loose. I was sure I would get some puckering when I quilted it. So...I spent the rest of the afternoon taking out all the pins & removing all the basting stitching. The backing fabric was somewhat softer than what I usually use. I need to buy a can of spray starch & press it before I attempt assembling it again. It was disappointing.

klgls
March 23rd, 2015, 12:44 AM
I hear ya!! But you will be glad you took it out when you are all done.

Denis
March 23rd, 2015, 12:23 PM
Make sure you tape down your backing so it is somewhat taut, not too tight to over stretch it. Lay out your batting on top and smooth it out from the centre towards the edges. You can begin to spray baste at this point before laying out your quilt top, or wait till you lay the top out and use pins.

JCY
March 23rd, 2015, 04:27 PM
I don't use tape, because I spread my quilts out on the fam. rm. floor which is carpeted. I stretch out the backing & fasten it down with straight quilting pins. I usually don't have this problem. I'm sure it was the limp fabric. I think some starch will help.