PDA

View Full Version : Anyone a lamp or interior designer?

Hulamoon
March 22nd, 2015, 07:54 PM
I inherited some really special things from my family.One is this vintage art deco lamp. I decided to ditch the shade because it was too big to ship and my aunt smoked like a dragon and it turned yellow. I can't find a lamp shade for it. Even the lighting store was at a loss. So if you have experience with this type of thing I would love some help.Size, style, web sites.

It's 14 1/2'' tall. The biggest diameter is 28 ''

Sorry about the pictures, my battery is low and these are from her house.

K. McEuen
March 22nd, 2015, 08:36 PM
Finding the right lamp shade is hard! The one thing that was damaged in a move more than 20 years ago was the shade on my favorite lamp and I've still not found just the right one. I've just made do with "close enough for now."

RiverMomm
March 22nd, 2015, 08:47 PM
Maybe a start? Lamp Shades at Lamps Plus (http://www.lampsplus.com/products/lamp-shades/)

bscuzz
March 22nd, 2015, 08:59 PM
I'd keep it very simple 'n let the beauty of the lamp get the attention. Very striking lamp. I found this shade on a website for 40's style lampshades . . it kinda mimics the columns in the lamp - if the color works. Just an idea!

alliek
March 22nd, 2015, 09:38 PM
Put in "Art Deco Lampshades" on your browser. I came up with loads of sites to look at. Good Luck.

shirleyknot
March 22nd, 2015, 09:43 PM
Wow, I have that same exact shade on my ancient floor lamp!

bscuzz
March 22nd, 2015, 10:45 PM

You have a classic and beautiful lampshade then! Box pleats, nobody uses this very sophisticated style these days - what a shame!! Treasure it!

Hulamoon
March 22nd, 2015, 11:02 PM
It is HARD! I took it around the whole island. lol

I like that one B. I have one more place I forgot about. It's called Island Liquidaters.They bring in furniture and the like from hotel renovations. If I can find the right frame I can change the fabric out. I did it with a small lamp.

I think black would be cool, maybe. lol

bubba
March 22nd, 2015, 11:23 PM
I know someone who does lamp restoration, but she lives in Maine and I'm not sure, but I think she is really expensive. She has restored them in several old, famous houses.

She can take off the old shade and recover the frame. Did you toss them already?

The Lampshade Lady Restoration and Repair (http://lshadelady.wix.com/thelampshadelady)

bscuzz
March 23rd, 2015, 12:02 AM
It is HARD! I took it around the whole island. lol

I like that one B. I have one more place I forgot about. It's called Island Liquidaters.They bring in furniture and the like from hotel renovations. If I can find the right frame I can change the fabric out. I did it with a small lamp.

I think black would be cool, maybe. lol

Lorie, I was thinking black would be nice, too. I'm sure if you find the right frame (might not be easy) you could make the shade. In my home, I've changed, made or added something to most of my lampshades. Once I bought a 2nd lamp just to get the shade for a lamp I already had in the room where the new lamp was going (not terribly expensive) and kept the second lamp for parts. My Mr calls me "determined"!!

Hulamoon
March 23rd, 2015, 12:19 AM
Pat the shade is gone. Cool ste though.

Lorie, I was thinking black would be nice, too. I'm sure if you find the right frame (might not be easy) you could make the shade. In my home, I've changed, made or added something to most of my lampshades. Once I bought a 2nd lamp just to get the shade for a lamp I already had in the room where the new lamp was going (not terribly expensive) and kept the second lamp for parts. My Mr calls me "determined"!!
I'm liking black more too. I don't really need it for the light. I just like the art part of it. Well that narrows it down a bit. :)

Hulamoon
March 23rd, 2015, 01:46 AM
I thought about this more after I looked at some websites and how some shades are so expensive. I'm going to keep an eye out For a lamp now.

bscuzz
March 23rd, 2015, 02:06 AM
I thought about this more after I looked at some websites and how some shades are so expensive. I'm going to keep an eye out For a lamp now.

Right on girl . . there's more than one way to skin a cat!! Geez, who ever thought of skinning a cat, I take that back!

kensington
March 23rd, 2015, 03:20 AM
I think you need a tube lampshade on that. I'm no designer, my sister was, but I am a vintage freak and that is a vintage lamp. I have a shade similar to a tube shade in my guest room, my son is in there sleeping so I will try to take a picture of it tomorrow and post it. But, truly... that is what I would put on that lamp.

MayinJerset
March 23rd, 2015, 10:09 AM
In our bedroom I have 2 small cut glass lamps with those shades, bought them many years ago at a garage sale.