PDA

View Full Version : Newest addition to my sewing machine stash

Judy, USMC
March 22nd, 2015, 12:46 AM
My dh, Steve, took his sister for a ride today to get her out of the house (she's got cancer.) So for exercise they went for a walk around a flea market since the weather was so nice. She went to look at some older collectables and kicked something that was on the ground under the table. It was an older sewing machine and Steve decided to get it for me! It was priced @ $50 but he got it for $35.

It's a Mercury Electric Co. circa 1950 - made in Japan. Came with the original booklet, 5 bobbins, mini oil can and 3 wooden spools of thread. Also had a complete accessory box with all the feet plus the original user's manual. Have to take it to get it rewired and need to replace the knee lever with a foot pedal - but that should be easy. Looks great and all the gold accents are good as new. Great condition for it's age with only minor needle scratches on the bed.

It's not as portable as a Singer Featherweight 'cause it's about 30 pounds ... but I think of it as my 30 pound hunk of love. Yep - Steve is a keeper.

Now to do some research about this little gem.........

Simply Quilting
March 22nd, 2015, 01:03 AM
What a great find. Enjoy your new gem. She sure looks like a keeper.

bubba
March 22nd, 2015, 01:11 AM
Cute!! Looks like a Featherweight wannabe!

dwil23
March 22nd, 2015, 02:51 AM
Love it!!!!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 22nd, 2015, 07:15 AM
That is just adorable! Hope you get it up and running and into the sewing rotation!

BobW
March 22nd, 2015, 10:05 AM
Sounds like you have a couple of keepers there. LOL

Sandy Navas
March 22nd, 2015, 10:27 AM
I'd keep him, too . . . and double for Steve!!!

That is a cute machine.

YellowCockatiel
March 22nd, 2015, 10:46 AM
Wow ~ what a great find! And how wonderful of your husband to bring it home to you.

Grandma Nan
March 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
Wow Judy, that Steve is a keeper. My husband is an enabler when it comes to fabric, visiting quilt shops, driving me to shop hops etc but he wouldn't voluntarily buy me another sewing machine and I only have 5 at home.
Beauty machine and sounds like a fantastic buy.