PDA

View Full Version : Treasures found

Ginny B
March 21st, 2015, 11:12 PM
My sister and I headed into Brooklyn on Thursday morning to work with two of my sons and go through closets, wardrobes and boxes in the house that we grew up in. My two sons are living there now and have been doing a lot of work so we figured we'd give them a hand with the things they didn't want to make decisions on or really wouldn't know what to do with what they found.

And boy did we find some treasures. We came across my grandparents' Naturalization papers - answering the question of whether or not they ever became citizens. It was a question I guess we never thought to ask my dad while he was alive. We found letters written between my dad and his parents while he was overseas during WWII, love notes he wrote to my mom and lots of pictures. We found paperwork for the house that we thought had been destroyed in a basement flood years ago, and even some of my boys' toys and books that wound up at the Brooklyn house. They had a blast reminiscing about the cars and some of the Sesame Street toys.

We also went through the linen closet that held tablecloths of my parents' that I have seen in pictures from when I was a newborn and hand embroidered table toppers and tablecloths that my paternal grandmother did. Some of them may actually have been done my great-grandmother. I have one that I always assumed was done by my grandmother but then I looked on the back and there were the initials of my great-grandmother.

Of course, they do have some stains and yellowing. I am going to do some research and see what might be a good product to use on these old linens. Anybody have any suggestions? I plan on using them around the house. They have been on the shelf long enough.

It was a fun couple of days. Didn't get much sleep but it was worth it.

songbird857
March 21st, 2015, 11:16 PM
Oh what wonderful memories you uncovered!! Love that :)

Quiltfreestyle
March 21st, 2015, 11:32 PM
What a wonderful treasure trove! I saw a product at a quilt show, I think it was called "restore". Made especially to wash old linens. I'm sure you will find what you need to clean them. I applaud your decision to use these things. I've always hated the idea of putting things away for "special occasions". Often they never see the light of day again. I always think that's such a shame. It's why I make quilts to use, not heirlooms to put in a box somewhere.
Enjoy your treasure ;)

Simply Quilting
March 22nd, 2015, 01:11 AM
What wonderful history to find. I enjoy antiques but to have something that belonged to family is so special.

bubba
March 22nd, 2015, 01:17 AM
There is a product sold in quilt shops that restores fabrics. I can't remember the name of it though! I am pretty sure in comes in a blue and yellow box.

Ginny B
March 22nd, 2015, 10:16 AM
Thanks Pat. I did a bit of research and found something called Restoration. It's in a blue and yellow box so maybe that's what you saw.

ceiliam
March 22nd, 2015, 05:13 PM
How fun enjoy your treasures

MayinJerset
March 22nd, 2015, 07:15 PM
What great treasures you found. Happy to hear you found grandparent's naturalization papers as we often don't think about asking questions until it's too late. My mother's parent's home was in the family from around 1910 until a few years ago and the cousin who lived there last was always finding photos and papers in the walls when she remodeled some of the rooms.

alliek
March 22nd, 2015, 09:33 PM
What a super "treasure trove" you uncovered! Thanks for sharing. Lovely. Those linens sound wonderful. I too have one from my Great Grandmother when she traveled to Chile or Peru on a cruise. She must have been something. Married four times, a widow each time. Then she would take a cruise and meet someone else. She was short and stout and could dance all night long! Wish I could have known her. Unfortunately she did not outlive her last husband and all of her things went to his family. Treasure your treasures!!!

sewelegant
March 22nd, 2015, 10:33 PM
Check out Retro Clean. Supposed to do marvelous things for yellowed/stained fabric. You can find it on Amazon.

WendyI
March 23rd, 2015, 09:38 AM
Those letters would be so interesting to read! Glad you enjoyed your exploration time. Sounds like you found some amazing memories.