PDA

View Full Version : Spring Day with the grands!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 21st, 2015, 09:05 PM
It was a beautiful spring day, and my grandkids and I hadn't spent time together for weeks! Today we got together, and I made a list of possible places to go, and they picked the Missouri Botanical garden. Lovely place, but huge from one end to another! Maddie wanted to feed the koi which are absolutely on the opposite side of the garden from the entrance. So we got our exercise for sure! It's 79 acres square, and one of the oldest botanical gardens in the US.

There are many historical buildings on the property, which was the country home of Henry Shaw. It is well kept and beautiful, with a huge Japanese Garden, where the koi are swimming and begging for food!

Remaining glass sculptures in the Climatron -- geodesic dome greenhouse, from a Dale Chihuly exhibit in 2006. This is as big a smile an almost 11 year old boy can muster for a photo.
Making a wish
Balcony in the Temperate House
Looking for koi in the Japanese Garden

They developed an interest in cacti and succulents from seeing some huge specimens in the one greenhouse/orangery. They took home some teeny specimens, let's see how long that lasts!

Grandma Nan
March 21st, 2015, 09:22 PM
Wow, sounds like you had a nice day. Still too much snow here to have a nice time outdoors. I'm looking forward to a nice day soon to go with the kids for a walk.

Simply Quilting
March 21st, 2015, 10:16 PM
Lots of fun and it was a nice day to spend with grandma.

quiltingtrish
March 21st, 2015, 10:52 PM
Oooh - Jean, I went there back in the mid-80's. Wow, that was a long time ago but I do remember it was beautiful. What a wonderful day you had with the kids and I'm sure they will remember it for a long time.
Thanks for the photos, I always enjoy seeing family in our photos that we post.

auntiemern
March 22nd, 2015, 12:15 AM
I haven't been in years. I need to do that again. Looks like a good time was had by all.

MayinJerset
March 22nd, 2015, 12:43 AM
So nice that you and grandkids had a pleasant day in that beautiful garden.

bubba
March 22nd, 2015, 01:12 AM
What a special day for everyone!! I love koi ponds!

bkthomas
March 22nd, 2015, 03:02 AM
Beautiful Grand-Kids!
Beautiful Gardens!
Great Day!
Happy for you Jean!!!!

Vonnie
March 22nd, 2015, 10:28 AM
Lovely grands! Are they siblings or cousins to each other?

I enjoy visiting places like this. I'm at the age where amusement parks no longer amuse me. But this place looks beautiful and relaxing.

Bubby
March 22nd, 2015, 10:30 AM
Jeff and I try to go there every year before it gets too hot. It's a lovely day trip.

WendyI
March 23rd, 2015, 10:15 AM
Your grandkids are cute. So cool they wanted to go there. Looks like a gorgeous day! We're still wearing winter coats, hats and mitts!

RiverMomm
March 23rd, 2015, 10:25 AM
Perfect spring outing! I always loved the Missouri Botanical Garden. I used to practice my floral photography there.

alliek
March 23rd, 2015, 12:44 PM
Loved days like that with my GC. They are all grown now and busy with their lives. Difficult to get together. Nice memories you have made with them. Love the pics.

kensington
March 23rd, 2015, 03:54 PM
I did that last week with two of my grandkids. They were complete pains in the neck! We went to see Cinderella, Easter shopping and to dinner. I was so glad to leave and go home! I love to see em, and I love to leave em!

It's never been this way before, and I hope NEVER again. LOL.

Klasien
March 23rd, 2015, 05:58 PM
Beautiful pictures!

I remember our visit to the garden when you and I went, it is so pretty!!
Glad you had a great day with the grandkids :)

cyndiofthevortex
March 23rd, 2015, 06:10 PM
I'm so happy for you! It sounds like the perfect way to spend a day.

Sonic
March 23rd, 2015, 06:17 PM
Hey, that's what my back yard looks like. ......not. :D

Looks like it was a wonderful time had with the grandkids, who despite less than one smiley face, will look back on this soon as a very special time with grandma.

snippet
March 23rd, 2015, 06:24 PM
I love gardens! It sure looks lovely and I bet there is so much to see in all those 79 acres!

I spit lemonade all over my laptop though when I saw the picture with your grandson 'smiling' and your comment. I do not have ONE photo of my son that has him smiling either. He's got that same frown in all my photos! He says it's because I take too long taking photos (setting up the frame) and I take too many photos period. I say it's just his ornery self.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 23rd, 2015, 07:53 PM
Beautiful pictures!

I remember our visit to the garden when you and I went, it is so pretty!!
Glad you had a great day with the grandkids :)
I thought of you and our visit to the garden as we were walking to feed the fish!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 23rd, 2015, 07:57 PM
I did that last week with two of my grandkids. They were complete pains in the neck! We went to see Cinderella, Easter shopping and to dinner. I was so glad to leave and go home! I love to see em, and I love to leave em!

It's never been this way before, and I hope NEVER again. LOL.
We've had our moments, when the girl was a terrible 2 for 5 years straight! I know how you felt! But they've evened out a bit now that they are older. I knew we had turned the corner in 2012 when we went to Disney, ate at a fancy restaurant and nobody of the 5 of them crawled under the table during the whole long meal! Soon they'll be teens and not want to do anything with Grandma anymore!

Blondie
March 24th, 2015, 06:12 AM
Jean, that sounds like a perfect day out. I would've enjoyed it thoroughly. Those kids are adorable.