PDA

View Full Version : QUILTY MAGAZINE

Bubby
March 21st, 2015, 09:54 AM
I just got the latest issue of Quilty magazine and saw an announcement that the next issue (May/June) will be the final one. I hate to see this magazine leave. I have enjoyed it since it first came out and I'm glad I saved all of them.

Forgive me if this has already been posted...I'm still playing catch-up with the forum.

Marebear
March 21st, 2015, 10:15 AM
That's too bad. I get that magazine too and like it.

Monique
March 21st, 2015, 10:27 AM
That is too bad, although I do not subscribe to this one.

Hulamoon
March 21st, 2015, 10:28 AM
That's too bad. I really like their You tube videos. Maybe that is the direction thy are going.

hsweany
March 21st, 2015, 10:35 AM
I'm disappointed too. Block and Quilty are the 2 magazines I use the most. Sure will miss it.

songbird857
March 21st, 2015, 12:48 PM
Wow.... just got mine and didn't realize that. I will surely miss it!!

TamiLee
March 21st, 2015, 01:55 PM
Rats!!! I didn't hear that. I love that magazine, with the modern style. Quick, eye-appealing quilts are what I am really loving. Even though I've been sewing/crafting for over 50 years, sometimes I just really like the quick and easy... and eye catching... Rats!!

So, would you say the new "Block" magazine is this type? How many quilts do they put in the magazine, would you say? Are they different from the tutorials? I've just never seen one.

ceiliam
March 21st, 2015, 02:59 PM
I was sad to see that also. Have enjoyed the mag so much

Deegles
March 21st, 2015, 04:26 PM
Maybe M*QC s stealing all their business? But paperless is the direction to go, offer everything in a pdf, I think that is smart business sense, or perhaps they are retiring.

sewbizzy
March 21st, 2015, 04:40 PM
Really disappointing...I love that magazine too Barb...

songbird857
March 21st, 2015, 08:33 PM
Here is what Mary Fons posted on her blog about it...
Magazine Graveyard: Quilty Is Closing | Mary Fons (http://blog.maryfons.com/2015/01/magazine-graveyard-quilty-closing/)

Kajenkids
March 21st, 2015, 08:36 PM
I was disappointed too! Love that one! But that explains why I couldn't find a way to subscribe a couple of months ago...

TamiLee
March 21st, 2015, 09:19 PM
Thanks, Songbird! I enjoyed reading it... but it didn't say one thing about what she's going to be doing! Wonder if she'll be staying in the industry... ??

stitchwishes
March 22nd, 2015, 02:56 AM
Oh that's too bad. I love the youtube videos, Quilty and Jenny are what made me think I could try quilting (and not in that order!). The simple and easy tips and fun personalities ...lots of quilting videos are so, er, clinical. I love good solid information, but it's nice to toss in a little fun now and again. Wish I'd ordered the magazine, oh well.

I always looked forward to a new one with Ebony Love as a guest, the two of them had so much fun they seemed to forget about the camera. Not to mention the knowledge she brought!

easyquilts
March 22nd, 2015, 07:42 AM
I didn't see that.... I'm sorry to see QUILTY go. It, and BLOCK, are the only quilting magazines I buy anymore.... All the rest are way too dimilar.

I loved Quilter's Home, when Mark Lipinsky was there... He gave the magazine a fresh, fun flavor....

kimsophia
March 22nd, 2015, 08:27 AM
Here is what Mary Fons posted on her blog about it...
Magazine Graveyard: Quilty Is Closing | Mary Fons (http://blog.maryfons.com/2015/01/magazine-graveyard-quilty-closing/)

I read her blog entry and I think she's way too gloomy about the death of sewing. It's become a popular hobby and the internet is where we beginners learn it. Seeing someone visually cutting and piecing is far easier than learning it by reading...she's probably just bummed out temporarily. Tons of weird and funny quilt videos can be made! :)

cindirae
March 22nd, 2015, 08:50 AM
I read her blog entry and I think she's way too gloomy about the death of sewing. It's become a popular hobby and the internet is where we beginners learn it. Seeing someone visually cutting and piecing is far easier than learning it by reading...she's probably just bummed out temporarily. Tons of weird and funny quilt videos can be made! :)

I have to agree with you, Kimsophia. She makes it sound like quilting will now die out without her magazine. There are plenty of amazing beginner quilt tutorials and quilting boards who have members happy to dole out advice out there on the web, and the majority of the other quilt magazines have all gone "simple and easy". She would have been wise to list sites that beginners can access, rather than giving the impression their quilting will suffer now that this magazine is going out of print.

Midge
March 22nd, 2015, 09:56 AM
I have to agree with you, Kimsophia. She makes it sound like quilting will now die out without her magazine. There are plenty of amazing beginner quilt tutorials and quilting boards who have members happy to dole out advice out there on the web, and the majority of the other quilt magazines have all gone "simple and easy". She would have been wise to list sites that beginners can access, rather than giving the impression their quilting will suffer now that this magazine is going out of print.

I can tell from your remark you are not a reader of her blog which songbird linked to. Her blog is very personal and she is very open and personal in tone discussing her life and the quilting industry among other issues. I think it is fair of her to ask where beginners can get the same sort of all encompassing approach Quilty offered once the magazine closes. And I'm puzzled how you interpret her words to suggest quilting will die out without Quilty magazine. Don't see that at all. She has no obligation whatsoever in a personal blog to direct anyone to any other resource. It's not a public utility, it was a new for profit magazine that didn't make it. Always interesting how various readers can get an entirely different message from the same piece. Maybe it's because I'm familiar with her style. And by the way. Her career is going just fine.

LizTheScot
March 22nd, 2015, 10:22 AM
Not sure if the two are related or not, but a few weeks before Mary Fons' blog that Quilty magazine was closing she blogged that she was stepping down as its editor. Seemed to be so that she could focus on the other things she does - writing, poetry, performing, going out to schools with her poetry, talking and teaching at quilt guilds, producing Quilty episodes online (they are not ending), and oh yes actually making quilts.....
I think the 'tone' of Quilty was fairly unique among quilting publications and I'm sad to see it go. For sure there are other places for beginners to go for advice and so much is online these days. But different people learn in different ways, and not everyone has access to decent internet to stream videos, so it's good to have options out there so that everyone who wants to can find what works for them.

309Bella
March 22nd, 2015, 10:34 AM
I am really bummed too. As a beginner quilter I felt the magazine was very helpful and inspirational...just like Jenny. I only subscribe to Quilting and the Block.

Hulamoon
March 22nd, 2015, 10:34 AM
I took that entry as just a tearful good bye. She is proud of helping out new quilters and is just sorry it didn't last longer. I don't like to read to deeply into things, because you never really know what's really going on with someone.

cindirae
March 22nd, 2015, 10:42 AM
I took that entry as just a tearful good bye. She is proud of helping out new quilters and is just sorry it didn't last longer. I don't like to read to deeply into things, because you never really know what's really going on with someone.

You're probably right. Maybe I was reading more into it than I should.

Kgrammiecaz
March 22nd, 2015, 04:31 PM
I love her blog. Always an interesting read.

I had a discussion with my granddaughter recently about learning to sew. When I was younger, we had home economics classes. I learned to sew, cook. Etc. that is gone from our schools now. We had a sewing machine in our home in my younger years. You do not see a sewing machine in most homes. Maybe a little sewing kit. Even I ended up not having one in my house when I brought up my girls after they were babies. Finding actual sewing classes is difficult The ones I find are for adults and are not at very convenient times for the working folks. I have sent Lily to classes to make things, but they are not strickly teaching sewing. So how are our young ones, those with no other sewers in the family supposed to learn this craft or heck, even know about the craft.

I will get off my soapbox, but I will miss Mary Fons being i. That part of the business. But she is not going away, just foloowing some different paths.

Midge
March 22nd, 2015, 05:15 PM
Karen, you are right. It has been a mistake to eliminate home economics from curricula. Also a mistake to eliminate shop classes. And both subjects should be open to both sexes, too. And finding basic sewing classes isn't easy. A mother-daughter duo has opened a sewing store near me that focuses on kids' sewing classes. They book birthday parties, too, and everyone goes home with a craft completed (the mom and dtr do the actual machine sewing at these parties, after the kids pick what they want to do). I've tried to support them by making fabric and thread purchases there, and every time I go I see excited little faces. We need more of this type of activity. Knowing "what" is not enough. We also need to know "how".