PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have it! I DO!

WendyI
March 20th, 2015, 10:20 AM

First day of SPRING!! The sun is ACTUALLY shining here. I know we could still get snow but the end is definitely in sight! Hang in there Halifax!

Midge
March 20th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Yeah, bring it on! For once this season we have missed the storm and we're dry though chilly and windy. But walking this morning I was thrilled to see the daffs and crocuses up about 4". Guess they got the memo. And boy am I ready for some good weather!

cyndiofthevortex
March 20th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Yes! I have it in spite of the gloomy low-hanging clouds and temps in the 30's. I even have a lovely pastel quilt to begin FMQing today in honor of spring! Even though my garden is buried under a mountain of snow, I can feel it's out there, just waiting for a little sun and warmth. Be patient, soil! I'll be with you as soon as I can!

YellowCockatiel
March 20th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Spring may be here, but in Chicago area we are expecting up to 2 inches of snow this weekend!

Sonic
March 20th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Ok, I'll be the stick in the mud (literally) it's currently snowing here. It was predicted to be "no accumulation" however mother nature didn't seem to listen to the weather man.

But, two days ago when all the googobs of snow here finally melted away, my herb garden was uncovered. :icon_woohoo:
People can keep their daffodils because seeing the new growth on my oregano and thyme plants (evergreens down to zone 5) coupled with running my hands over them and inhaling the wonderful aroma (especially lemon thyme) ......<happy sigh>
Now that's the signs of spring I want to see!!

WendyI
March 20th, 2015, 10:36 AM
I am SOOOO going to miss my gardens...BUT...the rabbits were VIOLENT this year! I pity the guy who bought my house because many of my best and oldest shrubs have been murdered this year by those wee buggers. My ten year old corkscrew hazel, my 9 year old smoke bush, japanese maple, Rose of sharon, 10 year old hydrangia, they even attacked my shrub roses! There's a LOT of damage. I would have been seriously depressed over the amount of ripping out that will need to be done...so guess that's one positive thing about moving in May!

songbird857
March 20th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Definitely looking forward to spring - we will get 1 - 2" snow today - but it's comin'... eventually...

KPH
March 20th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Dreary here in NC. The sun is supposed to shine. Maybe it's a good thing, I've been able to work in my sewing room without having to squint this morning.

ginger326
March 20th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Yes!! It is supposed to be very nice here in Kansas this weekend- I'm hoping to go to the Home and Garden Show for some new ideas, I'll have to move my sewing to the evening.

dlane2530
March 20th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Yes, hurray!! It is cold today, but forecast to be 66 tomorrow! We have a date to go pick out blueberry bushes, grape vines, two peach trees, and a cherry tree at the local nursery!

And once those trees start bearing: peach cobbler, people! Peach cobbler! Maybe picnic-style, on a quilt? ;)

klgls
March 20th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Yes!! It is supposed to be very nice here in Kansas this weekend- I'm hoping to go to the Home and Garden Show for some new ideas, I'll have to move my sewing to the evening.

I hoping to get to the show too. I always enjoy it.

sewluvit
March 20th, 2015, 12:11 PM

First day of SPRING!! The sun is ACTUALLY shining here. I know we could still get snow but the end is definitely in sight! Hang in there Halifax!

We are getting a bit of snow and it is overcast here this morning but I don't mind. I know it's almost over. We made it through another long winter!

Monique
March 20th, 2015, 12:25 PM
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sewbizzy
March 20th, 2015, 12:33 PM
I can't wait for spring, but it has been snowing here all morning...uggggh!!

toggpine
March 20th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Ok, I'll be the stick in the mud (literally) it's currently snowing here. It was predicted to be "no accumulation" however mother nature didn't seem to listen to the weather man.

But, two days ago when all the googobs of snow here finally melted away, my herb garden was uncovered. :icon_woohoo:
People can keep their daffodils because seeing the new growth on my oregano and thyme plants (evergreens down to zone 5) coupled with running my hands over them and inhaling the wonderful aroma (especially lemon thyme) ......<happy sigh>
Now that's the signs of spring I want to see!!

Sonic, have you planted lemon balm? My goats LOVE it. Careful though it can spread like wild fire. The herbalist that came to our regional goat conference said that it works as a relaxant. (Like that big old wether needs to be any more laid back!) I planted it along the fence line where they can just barely nibble it on their side. It smells a bit like lemon furniture polish. I also hear it's great in iced tea. Let me know if you want some starts or some seeds.

Wendy, you can always plant some pretty pots for your deck/porch at your new place. I have even seen a cute salad garden done vertically. Mix in some of the water absorbing crystals to help with water management. (You can buy them at the garden center, or shake out the ones in new diapers. Saw something like that on FB or somewhere.)

Our daffs are blooming and the tulips are up. Some of the herbs are getting going and the fruit trees are starting to bud out. I'm not sure if the bees are up and at 'em yet though. Of course spring at our place is usually met with new babies too. (I've GOT to get some new pics of them.) I have the rest of the orchard to weed and then the raspberry patch to check, as I think hubs did that when he pruned them. Then I can start on the 'flower beds'. Oh spring = yard work!

SuzyQue
March 20th, 2015, 03:01 PM
After 2 days of gloom and light rain, (sorely needed) it is sunny and bright and cheerful. YEP, ready for spring!

WendyI
March 20th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Wendy, you can always plant some pretty pots for your deck/porch at your new place. I have even seen a cute salad garden done vertically. Mix in some of the water absorbing crystals to help with water management. (You can buy them at the garden center, or shake out the ones in new diapers. Saw something like that on FB or somewhere.)

Of course spring at our place is usually met with new babies too. (I've GOT to get some new pics of them.) !

I have a LOT of pots but sadly my deck is only 6x8 and the pots are big and so is my patio furniture! lol But I am sure going to try and grow some things for sure!

PICS PICS PICS!! LOTS OF BABY PICS!!

Sonic
March 21st, 2015, 09:20 AM
Sonic, have you planted lemon balm? My goats LOVE it. Careful though it can spread like wild fire. The herbalist that came to our regional goat conference said that it works as a relaxant. (Like that big old wether needs to be any more laid back!) I planted it along the fence line where they can just barely nibble it on their side. It smells a bit like lemon furniture polish. I also hear it's great in iced tea. Let me know if you want some starts or some seeds.

Our daffs are blooming and the tulips are up. Some of the herbs are getting going and the fruit trees are starting to bud out. I'm not sure if the bees are up and at 'em yet though. Of course spring at our place is usually met with new babies too. (I've GOT to get some new pics of them.) I have the rest of the orchard to weed and then the raspberry patch to check, as I think hubs did that when he pruned them. Then I can start on the 'flower beds'. Oh spring = yard work!
Hey Togg, yes, I have lemon balm and lemon verbena as well. Since I found the balm to smell exactly like lemon Pledge, (just like you said) I searched out the verbena at the local nursery last summer. It has to winter over inside the house with some of the more tender potted plants, but ZOMG...the SMELL!!
I love the fresh smell of the herbs, but the best pick me up is the verbena when it's growing (it's dormant right now)
It might be ok in your zone out there though. We get down to -20F (actual temps) so I have to plant zone 4 and 5 stuff even thought I'm "supposed" to be in zone 6.

Thank you for the offer of the seeds! I appreciate that.
It would seem that some of the lemon balm survived just fine under the snow. Enough to rub and smell, which was really nice, but I'm going to have a lot of freeze burned stuff yo cut away. Now that I've seen the damage, I've seen how much work needs to be done before the mowing takes over. Come mod April the grass starts going at lightning speed.
(can you tell what is my LEAST favorite outdoor chore??)

I did not know that about the relaxant properties of lemon balm though (beyond the olfactory delight) so that's good to know. I know what bee balm (bergamot) does. I don;t drink tea so haven't used any lemon balm in that, but keep meaning to make lemon verbena (or balm) cookies and lavender sugar cookies. Although my lavenders took a beating...

Wendy, if it helps to know that while I didn't get a lot of rabbit damage (this winter anyway) it's a never ending problem in the food garden in the summer. And I'm pretty certain the cold wiped out quite a few of my specialty roses...<sigh>
So I will be the one ripping out and replacing. I'll think of you while I'm shoveling and sweating my arse off. :D

irishrn
March 21st, 2015, 12:36 PM
I'm a day late but the first day of spring is also my DD birthday! She turned 39 yesterday! She is the one who has decided NOT to give me any grands and she lives here in NC! So I have a grand puppy to love!
Spring is here, the Bradford pears are blooming and so pretty! Daffodils are up and looking good! But the temps are a bit too cool for celebrating quite yet! We may be back to the 70 by mid week! But I'll take anything that isn't ice or snow!
Poor DS in MA is still dealing with snow and has not enjoyed this winter at all! But he has managed to get his crew to keep the airport open thru it all!
So happy spring everyone!

Sonic
March 23rd, 2015, 02:29 PM
So much for spring, it was 14F last night and calling for really cold temps and snow early next week this week.
Mother Nature is such a teaser...

jjkaiser
March 23rd, 2015, 03:47 PM
Snow and cold in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. sometimes I don't think winter will EVER be over. I can't wait to go outside. Without a jacket, scarf, boots, mittens. Just open the door and go outside!!! Walk around the block without it being so cold it makes my nose run. Go someplace in the car with the window rolled down instead of the heat on full blast. Oh spring, hurry up and get here!!! Bring on the sun and the birds chirping and the flowers bursting their pretty little heads open!!

easyquilts
March 23rd, 2015, 03:56 PM
It's too cold here! Not spring like at all.... Although I think the temp will get up to 73 Wednesday... But, we expect flurries tonight... Nothing dill stuck...but.... Nt my idea if doting...

gale_w
March 23rd, 2015, 05:16 PM
Doesn't feel like spring here. :(

jjkaiser
March 23rd, 2015, 07:15 PM
73 and you're complaining?? Try 23 like it is here