PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Morning

Blondie
March 19th, 2015, 07:26 AM

Hello Folksies!

I was raised by the general farming rule that you never name your livestock. For obvious reasons. I am sure some of you remember my story of Red the pig. Still, if you raise up anything from birth, it is hard to not name them. They can't all be called Pig, Chick Chick ~ although I have known quite a few gals over the years I have secretly called a Sow or a Heifer. Anyway, I am not speaking of livestock this morning but a different breed of animal. Strays. Y'all have them. So do we. Apparently our road is an easy dump zone. Middle son Josh acquired the sweetest cocker spaniel several years back. He named him Sundance.

Sunny was old and I am certain Josh added several years to his life with simply pure love. He has two inside kitties at the moment who he tamed and are more than a little attached to him. He has a way with animals. My sis has four dogs. Two are strays and one is a rescue. The other one is just too stinking cute to be called a mutt, although I call her a tweenie since she is the offspring of the jack russell and doxie. Charlie is the outside dog and truly the King of his domain.

I could write a chapter of my life story on strays. Each one has become very special to us. But we just can't take them all in.

Recently, we have been having issue with some more dogs. Dogs that run around our bedroom windows at night, barking and chasing each other. Dogs that leave huge deposits of waste all over our yard. This does not sit well with The Man. Going out the back door and trying to talk them off the property does no good. They just run into the woods and wait for us to go back in and close the door.

I will call the dog catcher this morning but I know it will do not good. I am merely obeying my husband's last words to me as he left this morning. Then I will go across the road to the shop and call for Ruby, the pregnant kitty someone dumped off.who I know she must have had a litter of kittens and I am wanting to see them.

Have a wonderful day folksies. Smile for a while and then smile some more. If you get the opportunity, make a bed out of your scraps and a pillow case to donate to your local shelter.

Ginny B
March 19th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Good morning and Happy Thursday. Sis and I are off to Brooklyn today to go through some closets, etc. There have been a lot of family members that have lived in that house and I am sure there will be a lot of smiles and laughter and we re-discover things that bring back memories of our growing up years. Two of my sons will be there working with us and they get a kick out of stories.

Guess I should get this day moving along. Lots of things to pack to bring with me -- including my boots since we are expecting some snow tomorrow. Blondie, good luck with getting your unwanted midnight visitors to go elsewhere. Let us know when Ruby has her kittens.

Have a terrific day everyone.

Bubby
March 19th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Morning Everyone,

I'm packed and ready to leave for Cuba for the day with Steve. This morning we have rain and fog to deal with. I sure will be glad when the apartments are ready to rent.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

Iris Girl
March 19th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Morning all. Today will be sunny 40 and breezy I can deal with that. ..Tomorrow 3 to 5 inches of snow possibly 6...sigh when will it stop? Work today It will be busy. It always amazes me how people flock to the craft store when snow is in the prediction. Gotta have that ball of yarn/spool of thread in case we can't get out for what a few hours? ahh well makes for business and being busy makes my day go fast.Hugs to all that need them. So happy I finished the lute and it is off my back on to finish the SBS. Have a great day all.

dwil23
March 19th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Good Morning, all!

Blondie, as you probably know, rescue work is near and dear to my heart. I wish we were close enough to try to get a hold of your strays so that animal control doesn't. Animal control is not my favorite organization, as you can imagine. I know good people work there - some very caring souls who do their best to help all they can. But there are others who work there that have hearts of stone. I guess you would have to to be able to execute innocent animals all day and then sleep at night. MY DD can tell story after story of fighting with them to release an animal to a rescue group because they would rather just kill them. So, please, friends, if you have space in your heart and home - adopt a rescue!

Okay, off my soapbox for today!

This will be my only night off this week. We are working ourselves silly and I really need some sleep. I also need some play time so I am going to Deborah's to sew and see her newly reorganized sewing space and her Bonnie Hunter Scrap Saver's system in place. I tell you - she is hooked!

Hope everyone has a Blessed day - prayers for all and especially those in need.

Monique
March 19th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Good morning. A nice bright start to the day here but cold this morning.

Knock on wood, there are no strays around here. And I would not be able to take any in anyways. Allergies. Kudos to those that do.

Well just got the call, off to breakfast with Dougie this morning. This seems to be our ritual now on Thursdays.

I will continue to quilt the Frozen quilt. Just about done with that.

Have a great day everyone.

Mpyles
March 19th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Good morning, it's chilly here this morning. It my day off today but alas I have to go in for a while this morning. I am still at my problem store and on the 3rd manager. I am nearing white flag....too old to keep doing the same thing over and over. What is up with the world today. People just don't have good work ethics...such entitlement. Really could carry on for hours about this...but I will stop as I am sure you don't want to hear it.

I am working on my Downton Abby violet quilt...nearing top completion. Too much applique for me!

Blondie hope th dogs find a home! Sad that people don't care. Furry friend = unconditional love!

Everyone have a great day!

songbird857
March 19th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Let us know about Ruby, Blondie :) One of the dogs we adopted from the animal control center was a stray - skittish, and aggressive toward men with their hands in their pockets. (don't know what bad things he associated with that, but there seemed to be a fear of men in general) Took about two years before he settled down and totally relaxed with us - adored my hubby. We had him for a total of 9 years and loved him dearly!
So, today I woke up with aching in my shoulders... hmmm... oh yes, that was because I tried to catch my FIL when he fell yesterday... sigh. He's ok, just a scraped knee and knuckles :) Funny (or not so funny) thing is; he fell outside of the Nephrology office as we were going in... when we got in, here is kinda how the conversation went in there...
ME: Hi, my FIL has an 11:00 appt. and he just fell outside, so could you give me some bandaid and gauze while we wait please?
Receptionist: Oh sure.
I sit down with FIL and begin to assess the damage (minor)
Recep: (calls me over) - his appt. is not today, it is on the 30th
ME: really???? hmmm...
receptionist gives me bandaids, etc... I go over to FIL.. help him out... walk back to window
ME: Ya know, I KNOW the card said today, the 18th.
Recep: Do you have the card
ME: (in my head: of course you need to see that because I'm lying... really??) out loud: No, but I'm positive because I looked at it because I had to drop my hubby off at work to take the car (because other vehicle is being worked on...), I always triple check these things (because I'm OCD like that... ;)) the appt. was made 6 months ago.
Recep: Hmmm... ok, let me take a look and see what happened........ oh, it was rescheduled... you didn't get a confirmation call, did you?
ME: No - but since I didn't hear otherwise, I assumed we were good.. (assume... you know the rest)
Recep: Let me check your info... what's your address?
ME: It's........ the same .... nothing has changed.... phone numbers are the same too......
Recep: We've been going through some changes with scheduling. No one called you?
ME: No.
Recep: You didn't receive a letter?
ME: (in my head - umm... would I be standing here???????????) out loud - No, I didn't receive a letter.
Recep: Well 'SOMEONE' was supposed to call you and let you know...
ME: Well 'NOONE' called me, and I didn't receive a letter.
yada yada yada.... sigh So I had her give me the new day and time in writing :) I left with FIL and brought him home - left him in the care of my DD and went shopping (hence the 'goodwill' find in a post yesterday). I really do like this office, it was just an inconvenience yesterday...
Today I'm having a friend over for lunch, and maybe some sewing :)
Ciao.

Blondie
March 19th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Let us know about Ruby, Blondie :) One of the dogs we adopted from the animal control center was a stray - skittish, and aggressive toward men with their hands in their pockets. (don't know what bad things he associated with that, but there seemed to be a fear of men in general) Took about two years before he settled down and totally relaxed with us - adored my hubby. We had him for a total of 9 years and loved him dearly!
So, today I woke up with aching in my shoulders... hmmm... oh yes, that was because I tried to catch my FIL when he fell yesterday... sigh. He's ok, just a scraped knee and knuckles :) Funny (or not so funny) thing is; he fell outside of the Nephrology office as we were going in... when we got in, here is kinda how the conversation went in there...
ME: Hi, my FIL has an 11:00 appt. and he just fell outside, so could you give me some bandaid and gauze while we wait please?
Receptionist: Oh sure.
I sit down with FIL and begin to assess the damage (minor)
Recep: (calls me over) - his appt. is not today, it is on the 30th
ME: really???? hmmm...
receptionist gives me bandaids, etc... I go over to FIL.. help him out... walk back to window
ME: Ya know, I KNOW the card said today, the 18th.
Recep: Do you have the card
ME: (in my head: of course you need to see that because I'm lying... really??) out loud: No, but I'm positive because I looked at it because I had to drop my hubby off at work to take the car (because other vehicle is being worked on...), I always triple check these things (because I'm OCD like that... ;)) the appt. was made 6 months ago.
Recep: Hmmm... ok, let me take a look and see what happened........ oh, it was rescheduled... you didn't get a confirmation call, did you?
ME: No - but since I didn't hear otherwise, I assumed we were good.. (assume... you know the rest)
Recep: Let me check your info... what's your address?
ME: It's........ the same .... nothing has changed.... phone numbers are the same too......
Recep: We've been going through some changes with scheduling. No one called you?
ME: No.
Recep: You didn't receive a letter?
ME: (in my head - umm... would I be standing here???????????) out loud - No, I didn't receive a letter.
Recep: Well 'SOMEONE' was supposed to call you and let you know...
ME: Well 'NOONE' called me, and I didn't receive a letter.
yada yada yada.... sigh So I had her give me the new day and time in writing :) I left with FIL and brought him home - left him in the care of my DD and went shopping (hence the 'goodwill' find in a post yesterday). I really do like this office, it was just an inconvenience yesterday...
Today I'm having a friend over for lunch, and maybe some sewing :)
Ciao.

Dear Songbird, welcome to my world of dr appts. I am in very good company!

mpattylou
March 19th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Around here it is the practice of Dr and dentists to call a day or two ahead of appointments to remind you. Seems like we will each have to do the reverse....call the Dr or dentist to make sure the appointment is still the same time.

Midge
March 19th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Good morning everyone! It's chilly here this morning. After the winter we've had any weather that doesn't call for long underwear beneath the jeans is merely chilly, not cold. We may get a teensy bit of snow tonight, but nothing like what is forecast for our poor neighbors to the east. Blondie, I'm with you on life in the country and animals that are dumped off by humanoids who didn't deserve them in the first place. What levels of heartlessness and cruelty do these faux humans descend to in other areas of living? I guess we are lucky around here with a strong contingent of rescue organizations by breed and also just charitable organizations. They comb the county pounds and take the dogs and cats they can within the goals of their groups. There are kill shelters here, but except for one notable nearby county that got lots of bad press last year for their nasty nasty ways they do try to work with the rescues and get these dogs fostered. My own dear cocker spaniel Tucker came from the county kennel, picked up by the dog warden just hours before I arrived there. So I was first in line to get him if he wasn't claimed by an owner. And he wasn't. It was obvious he had been on the streets for a long time - skinny, matted, terrified of everything and especially men in watch caps or hoodies. It did take a long, long time for him to calm down. I volunteer at the APL to walk dogs and do some basic training with them. It's so nice after many many years working in healthcare to deal with beings who are nothing but appreciative and positive.

Songbird, you are way way more forebearing and forgiving than I am. The encounter at the doctor's office would not have ended the same way if I had struggled in there with an elderly relative who fell on the way in and then got summarily dismissed. Just wondering, as a nurse, should your fil be using some type of assistive device to prevent falls? Is it a problem of balance or weakness? The solution is different depending on the problem. Where there is one fall there is likely to be another. Your primary care provider can help with this and Medicare pays for these devices if prescribed.

Granny Fran
March 19th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Oh, Songbird, that is so frustrating. Too bad they could not work you in while you were there.

Mary, I understand about the work ethic....seems everyone wants a job, but doesn't want to work...glad I retired.

Blondie, we are getting ready to adopt a kitten to keep Buddy company, he misses Tweetie. So sorry that your road is a dumping ground. Why do people do that? Would they just dump their kids if they were tired of them and expect them to survive?

Monique, enjoy your lunch and the end is almost there on your quilt. Yea

Barb, good luck with your trip to Cuba..... gotta laugh each time I see that as I picture a boat off Florida.....

Ginny, it's too bad ol man winter is still headed your way, but have fun with the stories and "picking."

Donna, lets see some pics of the sewing room you will visit. I need some ideas.

April, it's like that here when two snowflakes are predicted. LOL Also the grocery stores. Doesn't anyone have a food stash??

Great day to all, the sun is trying to shine here, but rain is predicted.

WendyI
March 19th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Blondie I think this is the first time ever one of your posts made me sad. I hate that we have become such a disposable society that we now consider pets and even people, disposable! It's maddening! I hope the dogs can get rounded up and find good homes. So sad.

I met a new friend! She is a mom to two little babes under the age of three...recently divorced from just a HORRID man. I can't WAIT to meet this piece of junk and let him know I've got her back. I may be going over to visit with her tonight and meet her babies. We met at my divorce meet up group last night and got texting afterwards and found out she lives within walking distance of me which is really nice. There were a few new people there last night and all were very nice. Trying to get out as much as I can. Going for lunch with a co-worker on Saturday and then out Saturday night to a pub with people from my divorce group for snacks and beer. I don't really want to do ANY of those things but feel so much better once I do.

I was counting days until my move but decided to change it to weeks (it's a smaller number!). 6 weeks left...although could be a bit less...hoping I can get in a few days early and get my kitchen set up. I know April is going to be a crazy month. Starting to look forward to moving and getting settled but still know it's going to be a painful time.

Sending lots of love and (((HUGS))) to those who need them today! xox

Carrie J
March 19th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Morning All! :D
Blondie, I'm with you on the "strays", they themselves or rescues have given us some of the most wonderful furry companions ever! And coming from the country to a small town, LOL, loaded with College kids.......all I can say is it's proof of a throw away society today. We've taken in, fed and found homes for multiple cats and dogs here in town. And the Animal Shelter here in Commerce is absolutely deplorable, hearts of stone don't even come close to describing their methods! This is something that makes me insanely angry!! And for every College kid that gets a pet here and dumps them, I'm wishing for a major KICK to their backside! There is a rescue group the next town over that is so awesome. And you wouldn't believe the discussions we've had about college kids. Ok, off the soapbox!

Norma, ugh, yeah, surely been there done that! Gotta love the disrespect and inconvenience for a person's time (other than their own) and the fact that they can't seem to understand the spoken word! Geesh! Glad your FIL is ok, and hope you have a great day today, and hope you run across MORE great finds!

Rainy, foggy a chill in the air here today. Yesterday was a blur, so today I'm looking forward to a quiet, no events planned kinda, sewing kinda day. Hope everyone has a great one, Hugs and Blessings to all! :D

songbird857
March 19th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Songbird, you are way way more forebearing and forgiving than I am. The encounter at the doctor's office would not have ended the same way if I had struggled in there with an elderly relative who fell on the way in and then got summarily dismissed. Just wondering, as a nurse, should your fil be using some type of assistive device to prevent falls? Is it a problem of balance or weakness? The solution is different depending on the problem. Where there is one fall there is likely to be another. Your primary care provider can help with this and Medicare pays for these devices if prescribed.
Midge - we have considered this, either a walker or a cane; the trouble is convincing FIL to use one! He shuffles when he walks, his foot caught on the sidewalk yesterday - Thank God, that is the first time something like that has happened since he has been here (over a year now...). He also walks with a top heavy forward gait. It would make ME feel better if he would agree to using a cane, but it's gonna be a hard sell to him ;)

MayinJerset
March 19th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Oh, 4" of snow expected to begin around lunchtime tomorrow so I better get my packages packed and to the post office today. 2 of the items I'm mailing are heavy so I thought the flat rate boxes would work out best cost and size wise but the boxes are either too small or too big. Other item I'm mailing is a soft one so I'm recycling a vinyl envelope that DH received some books in.

Might have to stop at supermarket too as we're out of frozen peas, DH's favorite green veggie. He made do with a mix of veggies last night but his blue plate special dinner wasn't the same. Don't know how I didn't know we needed some but will get extra packages. Might send him into the market while I wait in the car because once I get in there I'll be picking up more items that can really wait until our next big food shopping

Sending a bit of Sunshine to everyone. 104503.

irishrn
March 19th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Almost good afternoon here! My days have been busy since the arrival of my dog boarder Taylor!
My GF had to drive from NC to Toronto to get her annulment today so I offerred to take her rescue for the 5 days she'll be gone!
My rescue Casey is not impressed with the " intruder" so I have to keep an eye on the boys. But it's funny to watch them wear themselves out peeing over each other's pee! Then they get to running the zoomies in the yard and end up coming in for a nap!!
Oh the quiet!!! Then DH takes a nap and the world is quiet! If only for a little while.
My other GF got married today so I'm going to be cat sitting for a few days! Do you see the animal theme going here?
Fits in with Blondies good morning today!! All of them rescued and all of them loved!
But Casey will love it the most when Taylor goes home on Sunday!! :-)
Hope everyone has a great day! We will have rain, but we need It!!!

Angelia
March 19th, 2015, 01:05 PM
Midge - we have considered this, either a walker or a cane; the trouble is convincing FIL to use one! He shuffles when he walks, his foot caught on the sidewalk yesterday - Thank God, that is the first time something like that has happened since he has been here (over a year now...). He also walks with a top heavy forward gait. It would make ME feel better if he would agree to using a cane, but it's gonna be a hard sell to him ;)

Maybe a cane with flames on it! :)

toggpine
March 19th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Blondie's midnight visitors may not be strays but dogs "let out for a bit of exercise".
We've had more problems with domestic pets and our livestock than we have ever had with wild predators. The last ones who came nosing around the livestock and destroying our newly planted garden were sent home with flagger tape tied to their collars with the RCW number that gives me permission to shoot their dog for harassing my stock. I haven't seen that pair out again. I have some pretty nasty photos of what the neighbor's pets did to our herd of sheep about 15 years ago.

As for rescues, we have a cat and one of our dogs that are rescues. Very pleased with them. This is Eve watching the new babies. Considering 6 weeks ago she was arrested for eating chickens because her owners didn't keep her home or give her a job, I'd say she's doing well.

Simply Quilting
March 19th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Good morning. Fairly quiet here. We have a little bit of rain and a little bit of fog. A friend and her two boys are coming over this afternoon for a while. Then I am hoping to get some sewing done this evening. Working on a project that using techniques that I've never tried before so hopefully everything goes well as it is a gift and I can not get anymore of some of the fabric.

We have two animals from the rescue. Thankfully, our local animal shelter works hard for the animals. There is a puppy parol program with the local prison where dogs are sent to be trained and they work with several rescue groups. Sadly, living in a college town, there are always plenty of strays especially right after graduation.

Have a great day everyone :)

KPH
March 19th, 2015, 02:37 PM
The grandbabies have gone home. The house is way too quiet.

Jonathan and mom had been to a birthday party the week before and were exposed to strep. Sniffles, sneezes, sore throats invaded the house. By the time they left, their whole family was feeling poorly. And joy beyond joy, they gave it to Mom. Sigh.

Hospice came today, her lungs are really rattly and antibiotics are on the way. I hope DH and I can stay clear of the crud!

While I miss Esther and Jonathan, I'm happy to have my sewing room back. I've already started on a Boston Block border for my quilt that I was working on before they came. It feels good to get back to work!

Have a great day everyone!

Katrina

PS Thank you Preeti for your tutorial on the Boston Block! I've had so much fun this morning!

WendyI
March 19th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Blondie's midnight visitors may not be strays but dogs "let out for a bit of exercise".
We've had more problems with domestic pets and our livestock than we have ever had with wild predators. The last ones who came nosing around the livestock and destroying our newly planted garden were sent home with flagger tape tied to their collars with the RCW number that gives me permission to shoot their dog for harassing my stock. I haven't seen that pair out again. I have some pretty nasty photos of what the neighbor's pets did to our herd of sheep about 15 years ago.

As for rescues, we have a cat and one of our dogs that are rescues. Very pleased with them. This is Eve watching the new babies. Considering 6 weeks ago she was arrested for eating chickens because her owners didn't keep her home or give her a job, I'd say she's doing well.

Cathy this is a very well known phenomenon for sure. Family pets "let out" for the night to roam and they form packs and degenerate to their feral roots. They used to cause a LOT of harm to livestock where I grew up, particularly chickens!

Eve is absolutely STUNNING!! Thanks for sharing her pic!

quiltingtrish
March 19th, 2015, 05:36 PM
I am usually a patient person but if I am expected to show up at an appointment on time so I don't waste your time then don't change my appointment - give me excuses for not notifying me and then waste my time. Ooh, what a pet peeve of mine.

Getting ready for snow again tomorrow here too. You should hear the kids at school - "but it's the first day of Spring". So, I had to explain to them what that is all about. How about the first day of Winter - didn't it snow in October and November? I told them the Spring temperatures won't be here for good until the middle of April. They weren't happy about that. Oh well.
All I know is I finally got to check the flower beds today and there are little green sprouts popping up (which I carefully covered up with extra leaves), the robins are back and singing, and the geese are flying back. It's nice to know what's coming.

Celebrated my Dad's 89th birthday yesterday with my 2 sisters - how thankful I am to have them all. We had lots of laughs, some of which had us almost rolling on the floor.

Have a good day all - love reading what everyone is up to.
Hugs,