PDA

View Full Version : The Night Owl Nook

kimsophia
March 18th, 2015, 01:56 AM
Good evening or early morning to all night owls! I hope you are having a pleasant evening.

I'm down to the last 12 inches of hand quilting. I have to redraw the quilting lines since the repair area has stretched. This area is almost all feathers. Only a few straight lines are left. This part might benefit from some basting spray...

I saw my first robin yesterday and several more since! Woo hoo! :D @,@

bubba
March 18th, 2015, 02:05 AM
I probably will be a night owl tonight!!! I fell asleep on the couch this afternoon and didn't wake up till 7pm!! Since I got my Irish on Saturday, due to a mix up in my head, we had Cornish hens for dinner tonight. They sounded halfway Irish! Now MM has left to work and I am watching TV and messing around on the computer.

Hopefully tomorrow I will get to sew. Our youngest daughter, who is 34, has a kidney infection and is quite ill, so I took care of her today. While doing that, the school called and one of her girls was sick so I had to go get that one too!! I know the kidney infection is not contagious, but anything else makes me nervous because off MM and the risk of him getting sick. I came home and scrubbed myself!

Simply Quilting
March 18th, 2015, 02:26 AM
I feel like I finally got some sewing accomplished tonight. I made a small table topper for Mom. Then I made three hexagons using the 60 degree rulers from Creative Grids. The more I've used Creative Grid rulers the more I like them. They don't move around when you are cutting. The hexagons are part of a table runner that I'm working on. I worked on reorganizing a little bit of fabric. I also sewed up two little fat quarter bags. On Saturday, I picked up a drawstring threaders and a loop turner to help with this project which the have. Both of them work well but I think the loop turner is faster. Plus I rethreaded a pair of shorts tonight. And I did manage to make sure the children were taken care and put to bed. I'll admit that I am excited because I finally had some energy to get some things done tonight.

I need to get to bed because there are several things on the agenda for tomorrow.

Pat, I hope that you and MM stay healthy and that both your daughter and granddaughter get feeling better.

Enjoy the night everyone :)

stationarymom
March 18th, 2015, 02:29 AM
Hi we're entering the deep freeze again here,the weatherman said it should be -3 in the morning.My dad flew in from Ok. tonight he was shocked by the cold that met him because it was 74 when he left home today.

toggpine
March 18th, 2015, 03:06 AM
I'm packing it in a bit on the early side for what has passed as normal lately. Night chores are done, milk is pasteurized & cooling, so I'm going to go try to catch a few extra minutes of sleep.

I think it was Pat that asked what we 'do' with the goats. I used to show for a number of years, which is why the herd had gotten so large. We were maintaining show strings of several breeds. Now we have them for home milk, and Emily is thinking about showing in 4-H. This year is some serious herd-purging. The old ladies have all been bred and we'll see what they produce. We will select a few replacements from this year's kid crop and go from there.
I have also raised goats for meat and fiber (angora goats = mohair fiber). While tasty to eat and pretty fiber are a bonus, neither breed really did much for me. I can't knit or crochet, although I can spin.
We like the milk and have enjoyed making ice-cream, pudding, and cheese with it. (Side note: I do NOT like the strong, musky flavor of most goat cheese. You can also find it in the milk. YUCK! We have selected & bred does that don't have that trait. They are the only ones I use for house milk, and the flavor is checked before every serving or use.) Off THAT soap box now....
We will keep a smaller herd of show quality goats so Em & I can dabble in the show ring if we want. As long as it stays fun.

Off to tuck in for the night!
Hugs, Cathy

dlsnaples
March 18th, 2015, 04:04 AM
I had a neutered Nubian when I was in college. He was raised with dogs, housebroken and thought he was a dog.
Fast forward more years than I care to admit and I find myself trying to talk DH into another goat.
What is the best breed for milk?
I do knit and crochet, but do not spin. Are the angoras a "nice" breed for strict amateurs?

snippet
March 18th, 2015, 04:26 AM
It's been a good day for me. I got up early and put the corned beef and potatoes in the crock pot. Later in the day, I took out the meat and added the cabbage. Gosh I love this stuff.

My quilting trio got together as usual tonight. I took the corned beef & cabbage with me. My sister and I were raised on it, but our friend had never had it before. Gosh, she's 62 and never had corned beef? That was odd to me.

Anyways, we sandwiched about 24 trivets and 3 table runners, then sewed them together. I took them home and will birth, iron and quilt them. I don't know what y'all call it, but birthing a quilt is what we do when you sew around the project leaving a small gap so you can reach in and turn the project inside out. That's birthing. ;)

And - even better - it started raining about 3pm and hasn't stopped yet! Nothing hard, just a nice steady rain. It's so nice to hear the rain. I should get one of those outdoor water fountains that cascade. Such a calming sound.

bubba
March 18th, 2015, 04:33 AM
When I made our corned beef and cabbage the other day, when it came time to do the cabbage, I took out the meat and potatoes and poured the broth into a saucepan and set it to boil. Fannie Farmer said you put the cabbage in for three minutes and it would be done. Best boiled cabbage I've ever made!!

snippet
March 18th, 2015, 05:18 AM
yep, you gotta cook the cabbage in the water from cooking the meat. I wonder if your 3 minutes on the stove equals my 13 minutes in the crock pot on high? lol doesn't matter, I'll eat it all! yum yum

ok, I'm fixing to go to bed. Nite!

toggpine
March 19th, 2015, 03:47 AM
I had a neutered Nubian when I was in college. He was raised with dogs, housebroken and thought he was a dog.
Fast forward more years than I care to admit and I find myself trying to talk DH into another goat.
What is the best breed for milk?
I do knit and crochet, but do not spin. Are the angoras a "nice" breed for strict amateurs?

No. If you were into spinning, I'd say maybe. You will have to find someone to shear them for you at least once a year. Their fleece picks up all sorts of wonderful hitch hikers of animal, mineral, and vegetable types. They can have delicate constitutions too.

I'd stick to the standard dairy breeds for milk. How much milk do you want and for how long? If you want it all year long you will probably need more than one goat. (Better for them too.) Some of the choice will be asthetics. What do you want to look at in the pasture. I know you don't milk the hide or the ears, but you do have to look at it while doing chores. Some folks are intrigued by the tiny ears of the LaMancha goats and others are completely grossed out by that. Once you choose a breed based on size (milk volume is a factor with the Nigerians) and color then you can select your goats based on milk production and flavor. Personally I can not stand that musky flavor in my dairy products. If it's there in the fresh milk it will be amplified in cheese, ice cream, etc. Buy a doe in milk if you are getting started. You can test milk her and taste test the milk too. Ask the owner about that before you show up. Offer to bring sample equipment. (Clean glass pint or half pint jars with lids and rings with a small ice chest full ice and some water.) Take a sample from a complete milking (give the bucket a bit of a swirl before pouring.) Mark the lid with the doe's name and tuck it into the ice water bath while you talk about the doe or whatever.
Observe how she stood to be milked, which side she was milked from, did she lead easily to the stand, etc. after a little while check the sample to see if it's cold. Take a taste. If it has a skunky flavor, move on. If it's decent, ask to take the sample with you and see how it ages over the next day or maybe two. (Sometimes you need to collect milk for a few days to make a decent batch of cheese.)

Be honest with the owner why you are looking for a goat and that you want to make the right choice for your family upfront. As a breeder, I'd rather you be straight with me. Don't expect me to hold milking times for you though. If you want to see a milking, work out a time that is good for both of you, but know the goats are not going to want to wait all freaking day. Do NOT be late to that appointment. If something comes up, and you get hung up in traffic, etc. call immediately.
Don't be afraid to say you are not interested in the goats you see if you aren't. If there is one you are fancying, but want to think about it for a day or so. Ask about putting down a deposit, and if it's refundable if you change your mind in the next day or two.

Wow. That was a ramble with a bit of a rant. Sorry. We've had a few issues with farm ettiquite around here lately.

I hope you can convince your hubby that getting a few goats would be fun. Build your fences and the shelter first, then they will stay where you want them and all will be good.