PDA

View Full Version : Survey says.....

bubba
March 16th, 2015, 09:35 PM
The moustache bag I made yesterday was from a pattern a shop owner gave me at Sew Expo. She wants me to make her samples for her. I send her a message that included what I thought of that pattern, to include the mistake I found, and included pictures of the bag. She was quite impressed.

Now, here is the question. She will provide me with all the materials and wants to know what the amount I would charge her would be to make the bag. I'm thinking I would make them for her for half the price I make them for everyone I sell them to since she is providing the materials. Does that sound right? I sold that bag from yesterday for $50, so it would cost her the materials plus $25. In my head it sounds fair, but I'd like to know what you think too.

Altairss
March 16th, 2015, 09:42 PM
I think that is very fair she will get a great sample plus feedback from someone that is very skilled and understands patterns. You will get a new pattern along with the chance to add new bags to your line and further put your work out there. that's assuming you get to keep the pattern and I would ask to have that included so to speak. Just spell out expectations up front so you will know if you need to provide each new sample by a specific date. You don't want to feel pressured by really tight time frames when you are also filling customer orders so find that out so you can work around it if needed. I think she would be lucky to have you do this for her.

K. McEuen
March 16th, 2015, 09:52 PM
How long did it take you to make the bag? At $25.00 she may be getting off cheap.

bubba
March 16th, 2015, 10:17 PM
Just a couple of hours.

Granny Fran
March 16th, 2015, 10:25 PM
Sounds fair to me, but I do not have your bag making skills. For a couple hours work, proofreading and feedback, I think it should work.

BTW, do you get to keep the bag you make for her? or just the pattern?

K. McEuen
March 16th, 2015, 10:28 PM
So you are making $12.50 an hour for two hours work. If she gives you a more difficult pattern I hope you let her know it won't be done for the same price.

Deegles
March 16th, 2015, 10:30 PM
I would make sure the person that you are dealing with only gets one bag at that price, so she doesn't have you making a gob of them....unless that is what you want. Sometimes when we sign up for a project like that it snowballs with "My friend just loved the bag and wants one just like it". Or "I'll take three more." Make sure you are clear with the rules up front. I think it sounds like you maybe coming out on top of this deal.

bubba
March 16th, 2015, 10:31 PM
I keep the patterns and any fabric left over. The patterns are already on the market, so I am not 'testing' them, just making sample bags for her booths. I knew it would average out to $12.50 / hour, but I have no clue if that is too high or too low. I have never done anything like this before. I think it would be making only one of whatever she sends me, as she displays them in her booth. When I spoke to her, she said would be sending enough fabric, probably for two bags and I could do whatever I wanted with the extra fabric after I made the one.

K. McEuen
March 16th, 2015, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't charge any less than $12.50 an hour and if you are going to get enough extra fabric with each one for another bag that is a good deal.

Is she sending all the interfacing and fleece too?

icul8rg8r
March 16th, 2015, 10:35 PM
I think it sounds fair ... as long as she posts your name/phone number so prospective clients can order the bag from you if they don't want to make it themselves. KWIM?

bubba
March 16th, 2015, 11:07 PM
She is sending everything it will take to make each bag, including the pattern and then I send the finished bag to her. I think I will tell her $15 / hour the more I think about it!!

Hulamoon
March 16th, 2015, 11:18 PM
$15 sounds good to me.She will have those samples forever unless she resells them.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
March 16th, 2015, 11:27 PM
Bubba, honestly, I think that's too little. You are highly skilled; and 12.50 is only a little bit more than I pay our household help.

Take a look at this & do a web search for pricing your work on etsy -- How to Price Your Etsy Merchandise - For Dummies (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-price-your-etsy-merchandise.html)
Not that you're a dummy! But I think we tend to undersell our skills as craftspeople. It's reasonable to give her a "wholesale" price but I think you are selling her and everyone else your bags for too little. Handcrafted, one of a kind, for fifty bucks?

I hope I'm not being obnoxious! Think of it as tough love. And raise your prices!

kaydee
March 17th, 2015, 01:22 AM
Don't under price yourself, Bubba. Remember, at some point she is going to probably sell the bag(s) at which point she will probably recoup most, if not all, of the money she put into them. She's probably also going to write all of it off, upfront, as a business expense.

You also might want to make sure you have your taxes in order (i.e., declaring the income from selling the bags), as she is likely going to report the money she is paying to you.