PDA

View Full Version : Quilter Hybernation?

DramaMama
March 16th, 2015, 05:14 AM
Started quilting late last summer.

Seems like this forum had LOTS of new posts through the fall/winter and less so since the weather has become nice.

Made me wonder: do many on the forum mostly quilt during fall/winter months? And then in the spring/summer engage in outdoor activities (e.g., gardening, etc.)?

:icon_beuj:

Suzette
March 16th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Yep, for me it just works out that I do quilt less in the warm months than in the cool ones. Summer's are very busy for us and I do have an outside job, so I don't quilt nearly as much in the summer as I do in the fall and winter months. But I still manage to make to time to get into my quilt room a couple of times a week throughout the summer. My love for quilting doesn't wane in the warm months, just my time to do it! :icon_bigsmile:

Iris Girl
March 16th, 2015, 07:58 AM
I think this goes without saying.I believe most people like myself are much more active outside with things then indoors.Longer days sunny warm weather.Who would want to be indoors?

asta
March 16th, 2015, 08:18 AM
It used to be the opposite for me when I was teaching, not much time during the school year but lots of free time in the summer but since retirement I do quilt more in the colder months.

MomGram
March 16th, 2015, 08:24 AM
I quilt more in the summer. Here in AZ it is too hot in the summer for me to be out in the day.

Plentziana
March 16th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Have you reason, the winter season is a sadder and the days are shorter, so we are more time at home making feel the need for sewing and summer day out and encourage arriving home late no time to quilt, I attend to summer two granddaughters,because their parents have to works more hours for your business and how we´re beautiful beach enough time in it, also in my country parties cities are held in the summer and we had a great time, you see the summer is my busy time, but also quilt a little when you can because it makes me happy too

Marta
March 16th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Because of the heat I sew much more in the summer. During our cooler months. ( thats about 3) I divide my hobby time between sewing, baking and outings with family and friends.

GrammaBabs
March 16th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Let's just say that THIS WINTER has been a banner quilting year!!!!
Here in New England we broke the record yesterday.. another 2" and I can say I have finished 7 quilts this winter with 8 in progress...Luckily we never lost power... only ONCE on a bright clear day..LOL,,, Isn't that always the way...
Oh, and every night it is a given that my hook or needles are going in front of the TV...
Such is the life of a retired gal who just can't sit with her hands "folded"....:)))))

buckeyequilter
March 16th, 2015, 09:06 AM
I think my quilting pretty much stays the same, summer and winter.

I work all day so when I get home from work I don't really want to go anywhere. In the summer and fall, we do get out and about on the week-ends, usually Saturday. I like to stay home on Sunday just to get things done or relax.

janbee
March 16th, 2015, 09:09 AM
I quilt year round. We have really hot summers and spending time outside, for me at least, are relegated to early mornings and late afternoons.

Juliebelle
March 16th, 2015, 09:23 AM
I quilt more of my quilts in the winter and during the summer I mostly piece. It is pretty hot inNC during the summer so I do not like the quilt in my lap. Also we do more outside in the warm months, garden, yard work and just being outside.

Preeti
March 16th, 2015, 10:03 AM
I quilt all the time. Can't quilt enough.
Spent all my weekend playing with fabric...silly me.

kensington
March 16th, 2015, 10:47 AM
My yearly break from quilting is after Thanksgiving to the first of the year, unless there is an immediate need. I can't do the holidays and sewing at the same time, my sewing room becomes a staging area for all things Christmas I do. LOL.

I got back on it the first of the year, I made two quilts in January, and have one top I am about to finish up in the next day or so... I hope to ship two off to the quilter by the end of this week! I actually send my last one to be quilted by my quilter the last week of October if I need it back by Christmas.

I sew in the summer, and spend time in my pool. I'm not a "HEAT" of the summer kind of girl, so I will stay in and sew in the cool of the house during July and August.

Bjvarizona
March 17th, 2015, 02:26 AM
Sew year round so far. I only returned to sewing A LOT this past year but can't imagine going more than a day or two without sewing something. Four lap quilts finished so far this calendar year, oops, no make that five. Plus three flannel " not really quilts" blankets, also.