PDA

View Full Version : Some one called ChurnDash

GrammaBabs
March 15th, 2015, 07:44 PM
I calling out to the person on QBM that showed a ChurnDash quiot made with different sized "double sliced something or other" that was done as a group project... They were all different sized and assembled in mixed form... for a stunning (IMHO) quilt... I'm wondering if she could share how that is done? I'm not too savy with that sort of thing... I know it's the same process, but not sure how to down-size the measurements so that the blocks will fit together nicely as they do in this quilt! Barbara (aka GB)

K. McEuen
March 15th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Here is the link to the quilt that Barb is talking about, it might help figure out who did it.

https://quiltsby.me/projects/Churn-Dash/sirocco

Not all the people on Quilts By Me are on the forum though.

Deegles
March 15th, 2015, 08:18 PM
I am not a math wiz either, but the logic to me is this: Could the large ones be made from layer cake? The medium ones be made by charm pack? And the super small ones be made from jelly roll? All is one size cut down by half.....I am not sure of this quilt but if you get no answers try those three sizes with scraps and see if they will fit together.

Heather
March 16th, 2015, 12:45 PM
This was driving me nuts last night because I knew I'd seen this quilt before in reds and creams. I found it this morning, on an etsy store called thequiltingbugg (it was sold). Alas no pattern, but it was called a "Bohemian Churn Dash". I googled bohemian churn dash but didn't find anything further, sorry. The etsy shopkeeper has an email posted, if no one else comes forward maybe she would direct you to where the pattern could be purchased.

Heather
March 16th, 2015, 12:55 PM
I just hate a mystery - I think I've found it. This blog references it as being a pattern from APQ Feb. 2008 issue.
Twiggy and Opal: Finished Quilts (http://twiggyandopal.blogspot.com/p/finished-quilts.html)
Sorry couldn't edit my post.

fatquarters
March 16th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Quilts by me????? first time I ever seen that site, thanks

kensington
March 16th, 2015, 02:12 PM
She simply made the same block in four different sizes. The large one first and then figuring what sizes she needed to make other large blocks comprised of the smaller Churn dash blocks.

I think you are right, once you find out the size of the large block, you can factor down to the smallest one from there.

Wow... it sure looks a 100% better with the cream background rather than the colored. That is WAY too busy!

kensington
March 16th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I calling out to the person on QBM that showed a ChurnDash quiot made with different sized "double sliced something or other" that was done as a group project... They were all different sized and assembled in mixed form... for a stunning (IMHO) quilt... I'm wondering if she could share how that is done? I'm not too savy with that sort of thing... I know it's the same process, but not sure how to down-size the measurements so that the blocks will fit together nicely as they do in this quilt! Barbara (aka GB)

At first I thought she used 12, 9, 6 and 3 inch blocks

But, I am leaning more towards 15, 9, 6 and 3 inch blocks. Seriously though? A 3 inch?? ROTFLOL!

GrammaBabs
March 18th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Thanks Gloria... I had almost forgotten this post... LOL... I get way too many thoughts in my head when "seeing quilts".... I will have to get DH;s involved if I try this one... he's the "measurement man"... retired CNC machinist... you should see us at night when I'm trying to concoct knitting and crochet patterns for "size" with pattern stitches... thank God for my calculator...LOL

GrammaBabs
March 18th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Thanks Heather... I know what you mean... can't believe I forgot this!!! Must be the new meds....:)))))
I just hate a mystery - I think I've found it. This blog references it as being a pattern from APQ Feb. 2008 issue.
Twiggy and Opal: Finished Quilts (http://twiggyandopal.blogspot.com/p/finished-quilts.html)
Sorry couldn't edit my post.