PDA

View Full Version : Friday - Is it Spring Yet?

Blondie
March 13th, 2015, 07:02 AM

Hello Folksies ~ let's all Welcome Fridays and weekends in general,

Forget everything you've ever heard about Friday the 13th. This has been as delightful a week as I have had in a long time. Sure, there have beens ups and downs, good news, bad news, sad news, happy news and everything in between. However, I was able to sit and stitch to my heart's content on one day and part of another. That's what I call F U N. I also practiced FMQ and will post more on another thread about that because I need to find out some answers and not all members read the daily morning posts.

What made my week so lovely? Well, it started out actually last Sunday evening. My SIL Steve called me out of the blue just to chat. At first I thought, omgoodness, is something wrong? Is Sarah okay? He said he just missed me and wanted to know how we were doing. Then, of course, on Tuesday I was able to drive over The Hill into Virginia to their house for a quick visit. Then yesterday, DD surprised me at the salon for a visit. I was getting ready to walk across the road to home, so it was perfect timing. No interruptions. We planned out our weekend and both of us agreed that we are so ready for outside time on the lawn and cookouts on her deck. After work tomorrow, Sis and I will go to DD's Sarah for an afternoon gal pal time. DD's school and work schedule make it difficult for us to get together as often as we did last year. We are all looking forward to it. Mom may actually join in this time. I sure hope so. She can come up with quite some humdingers at times. You know, like that commercial with the old gal who says "Your father always liked it when I wore leather. He was a dominant man" - that kinda thing. lol. Always cracks me up.

I know that Spring is officially not here. I am so jonesing for it. Seriously. Today will be in the 50's and kinda dreary but that will not stop my longing. I went to Sister's house last evening after dinner and noticed her mini daff's are already blooming. Goodness, gracious, they looked so lonely standing as regal as a mini one could amid the leftover debris that comes with winter weather. I will really break into a smile when I see my forsythia, the true harbinger of Spring, bloom with wild abandon.

Okay folksies, now that I have officially started my day with my coffee and you, I will be off to read my emails and remind myself that rain is merely liquid sunshine.

Please remember our members in positive thoughts and prayers who are in the middle of trials, sorrow. Don't forget our precious sister Jewel, when you read this. The memorial for her son will be tomorrow.

Blessings, hugs and some hopeful springtime smiles for all.

Bubby
March 13th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Morning Blondie & Everyone,

I'm ready to leave for Cuba with Steve for another day of work. Tomorrow I will go alone and one of our tenants wants to help me clean. Yesterday we got all the ceiling lights and the living room ceiling fan replaced. Today more of the same. This has been a busy and tiring week. It rained all night and they are calling for heavy rain all day.

More trouble with our tenant in #11 and the police were called again.

My DD has found out that among other things she has a hiatal hernia. I'm waiting to see what the docs plan to do about that. They are checking her for other things. She was scoped yesterday and they took a few biopsies. We are waiting and praying for a good report on these.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Friday. Hugs....

Blondie
March 13th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Good grief, Barb, your DD has really been having a difficult time! And what can I say about Number 11? I don't understand Mo. law if you cannot evict her for uttering threats, etc. That is just plain stoopid.
Praying for you, sister.

Ginny B
March 13th, 2015, 08:12 AM
Good morning and Happy Friday. No signs of daffodils in my yard yet. Maybe some crocus soon? Glad you have had such a lovely week Blondie and it sounds like you have a fun time planned with your sis and dd. Hope your mom can join in too. Barb, I hope that your dd finds some relief and resolution soon. I can't believe that tenant #11 cannot be removed. When is her lease up?

Looking forward to a nice weekend despite the rain we are expecting. Tomorrow we were supposed to go to a friends for dinner but it has been moved to Sunday so that will actually work out better for us. We can get our usual "Saturday chores" done.

Have a great Friday everyone.

songbird857
March 13th, 2015, 08:13 AM
Mornin' all...
My baby is turning 20 on Sunday.... sigh..... Nothing fancy, she will invite a few friends over tomorrow and we'll do a burrito bar. For dessert? Something with chocolate :)
Still no hardware for the bag ((((if you look closely, you can see me pouting here...))) - that baby is due any day now.

UPDATE::::::::: on the FIL and the earwax story... too funny (or at least twilight zone worthy):
So, for the past week, FIL has been grumbling about the noise in his ears. He said that he went to the dr. and they did nothing. I reminded him that HE is the one who wouldn't let them take the wax out, so he had to wait for the appointment with the ENT (which was yesterday).
For the past 2 days he was complaining that he had terrible pain on the left side of his face (the side where they actually did get some wax out). I gave him some of his scrip strength Motrin every 4 hours, knowing that we would see the ENT. The evening before the appointment, he was pretty pouty and went for a walk. My hubby went to check on him and found him sitting on the steps of the neighbor's house - he asked him if he was alright - my FIL said "I have pain and your wife won't give me medicine".
Hoo boy.... um, yeah. ok. I normally don't give the gritty details of some of his not so nice behavior, but it is relevant here :)
Basically, he was pretty whiny.
So, we went to the ENT yesterday, long story short - she cleaned his ears out (you definitely don't need details here!).
We came home, he was grumpy because of the process, didn't feel like eating lunch, and went to take a nap.
He got up from his nap, and took a walk shortly thereafter. FIL came in from the walk, sat down on the couch, and I went over to him to set up the computer for him with Portuguese news.
Here comes the twilight zone part...
ME: Are you feeling any better?
FIL: Oh yes, I feel ok.
ME: Oh good! That's good :) Do you still have any pain in your face... is there pain??
FIL: Pain?? ??? ???? (he laughs here)... it's cold outside.

Yes, Lord. You have taught me more this year than in the 28 and a half years that I have walked with you.

Have a great day, everyone ;)

MayinJerset
March 13th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Dear Lord, Please give our songbird the patience to deal with her FIL or she'll be living in the Twilight Zone permanently.

Barb, I'm exhausted just reading about all you have been doing.

Sunny out and supposed to be warm so that's good news. DH and I plan to pack up boxes of stuff for Good Will and do some errands after we drop the boxes off. Tonight I get to use my new walk in tub. Tub cutout procedure was done yesterday and it needs 24 hours for the epoxy to cure. It took about 4 1/2 hours, technician covered everything, explained the step by step procedure, checked with us when he had a template for cut out, also where to install safety bars and everything looks great - 4" threshold into the tub has safety gird but I think I'll just step over it. I think we'll get old wall paper down and have DS#1 paint the room, a new shower curtain and it will look like a new room.

Granny Judy
March 13th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Hugs and prayers for you, Songbird and Barb. Life's trials are often pretty hard to deal with. I kept asking "is this a test?"' " Did I pass?" when taking care of sick hubby and elderly Mother. Both whined to each other and ganged up on me. Or it sure seemed that way most days. Both have passed and I miss them, but not the "trials".

Nothing planned for today.. just enjoying our warmer temps and looking for flowers to bloom. Daffs are slow to pop their heads up out of the ground this year. So I will just pick up tree limbs and clear out the flower beds this week end. Gosh, I need the exercise!! I really let myself go and became a couch potato this past winter.

Hugs to all.

WendyI
March 13th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Morning ALL! Blondie again thanks for the smiles. I'm not surprised your SIL missed you at all. How could anyone not love and want to be around you with all the smiling! I bet you give great hugs too! Barb, I don't recall reading a post about tenant number 11 but that stinks having a tenant like that. Sure sounds like a lot of work being a landlord...hope it's worth it! Songbird...you're a far better person than me. Your FIL sounds like a spoiled child! Good for you for putting up with him! Ginny enjoy your Sunday! Dinner with friends is always great! May, can't wait to see pics of your bathroom reno! Paint gives so much new life to a room. Judy have fun getting off the couch...I really should come join you.

Nothing exciting here today. Getting lots of bday wishes from family and friends...ate myself two donuts today...I NEVER eat donuts! But since neither Scott nor my son wished me a happy birthday, I was feeling down and decided to apparently punish myself by eating two of them! I quite enjoyed them tho with my morning tea.

Tonight two friends from my divorce support group are coming over for dinner and wine and then we may pack a few boxes. Still have to pick up some wine. First time I've cooked a meal in almost three years other than KD. Should be interesting! Wishing you all an awesome day!! Sending ((HUGS)) to Jewel and everyone else who needs them.

Amy R
March 13th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Prayers still on the way for everyone. And hugs and happy thoughts.
Wishing Wendy a happy birthday!!! Virtual hugs to you!
Bubby, good Lord the trials!!!

Frank went home from the hospital yesterday and is on his way to recovery. His hormone test proved the surgery to remove the tumor from his pituitary didn't harm the gland. They got all or most of the tumor out. I can't imagine how the wait feels to find out if its cancerous or not.
Poor mama needs a root canal on the tooth she just got capped. YUCK!

Looking forward to the weekend. I'm going to start cutting some baby quilts for the hospital. I'm going to donate them in honor of my friend's lost baby. She's taking it really hard. Please say a prayer for her!

On a brighter side, it's been sunny and beautiful most of the week. Sophie and I have already been playing outside with chalk and bubbles. I can't wait to see butterflies, she and I get so excited when we see them! I combined that, and our love of bubbles and stars and had a tattoo done. I told her the little butterfly is her, and she said "can i hold it in my hand?" Adorable. The "orbs"/bubbles are taurus (her sign) and aries (mine) in between the butterflies. I know some people disagree with tattoos and body modification but for me it's wearable art with deep significant meaning. My first tattoo is 16 years old and I've never regretted any of them.
Here's a pic!

Forecast is rain today and tomorrow but I'm hoping to sneak in a walk or something to help keep soph's mind occupied with good things LOL.

Claire Hallman
March 13th, 2015, 10:44 AM
I would love to see bathtub pictures, you got that going on really quickly.
What is KD cooking? Happy Birthday to you Wendy, those guys don't understand how important it is to say to a gal. You can still teach Liam to be more considerate, it is not too late.
Hope everyone has a great day and week. I will be gone the next two so carry on quilting without me.:D

shirleyknot
March 13th, 2015, 11:07 AM
My maple tree is in full bloom, with little stamens hanging out all over the place. Got a couple of daffs open this morning too. Almost missed that, it's raining so hard.

Simply Quilting
March 13th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Good Morning!

Blondie, enjoy your weekend.

Barb, my mom had a hiatal hernia for years with very little problems. Last year the doctors did go in a do a scope surgery to fix it. Praying for wisdom and a good report for your daughter. I hope that your life gets to settle down soon. Have a safe trip to Cuba today. As for #11, it just amazes me the things that she can do yet you have no rights to get rid of her.

Songbird, hoping that you have a calm peaceful day.

May, enjoy your new tub.

Wendy, enjoy your time this evening. May this birthday mark the beginning of a wonderful new full of adventure time in your life (though I understand it is hard to see that now).

Amy, glad Frank got a good report. And continued prayers for your friend.

Prayers and hugs for our forum friends who need them.

Our trees are starting to get buds on them which is a little nerve racking because it is way too early. We have been enjoying going outside this week and will be meeting with a group of friends later to play in the park. Then this weekend has lots of fun activities planned.

Have a good Friday and a wonderful weekend everyone :)

Over40momma
March 13th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Just popped in to check on you all. Some busy times and some very "interesting" times by the look of it all. It is quiet here and have been enjoying the delicious taste of temperatures above zero. The sun shining and the change in the air is like a renewal of hope......that gift of spring, yet to come.
Still waiting on the centre to begin treatment for my youngest daughter, and until then, we are keeping pretty much to as close to normal as possible. I did get a call from her assessment psychiatrist just to let me know that she is not being forgotten and is at the top of the list. She made my day by telling me that, despite my mistakes and not catching the issue as fast as I would have wanted, the safety and quality of her home life is all that has kept that sweet child from suicide. As much as that pleased me, it also scared the daylights out me.....as I am sure it would any mother. Our instinct to protect is so fierce. We have all learned to concentrate on what we CAN do, living more in the moment. In an ironic twist, it is my daughter who has been badly damaged yet we are all learning from her. She has such strength and such gentleness laying in those still waters.
My father always said tragedy and trials were what made you learn the most about yourself. His passing still does not seem quite real. I talk to his picture sometimes, and I swear I can hear him in my head and heart.
If all this seems depressing, please it truly is not. We have so much that we are thankful for, and joy does sit upon our shoulders.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Have a fantastic day and weekend. Now off to look at all the beautiful creations you have all worked so hard on.

MRoy
March 13th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Good morning or afternoon depending on where you live. It's a rainy day here, but it's not bone chilling cold and that's a great thing.
My 1st cousin passed away yesterday after suffering a massive stroke earlier in the week. He had Alzheimer's and the person we all knew was lost years ago. He's at peace now and back with the wife he loved so much.

I'm sending positive thoughts and prayers for all who need them. I hope everyone has a good weekend.

toggpine
March 13th, 2015, 02:20 PM
It seems like everyone has their plates full around here!

Spring has come to the little farm. Our March babies have all arrived. The fruit trees are just about ready to pop their buds. The Daffs are up and some are showing their faces.

I'd like to get back into the sewing room for quilting, but I'll be just lucky to get the few items mended that are on the table.

Laundry needs rotating, so I'll wish you all a good day and get on with it!
Hugs, Cathy

RockinLou
March 13th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Goodnight friends, I enjoyed today's post over the last of my decaf coffee...

My sister had hip surgery yesterday, I'm told it went well and she should recover smoothly. If she can avoid the flu her kids brought home, that would be great.

I had a decent week at work, and some nice friends over this afternoon. I'm plum tuckered tired, but it will all be good. Im ready for the weekend and am living in the world of indecision regarding my next sewing project.
DH has an appointment in the morning, I'll be staying home resting with the kiddos. There is a movie here in English though, the 2nd most exotic marigold hotel... I'm going to go tomorrow as there is a good non-violent movie in English about 2 times a year here in Almaty.

shirleyknot
March 13th, 2015, 02:42 PM
I so often feel invisible here..........

auntiemern
March 13th, 2015, 03:03 PM
My oh my...it is raining and dreary....BUT..I am in heaven. DH left yesterday to go to the lake with his youngest son. DD is getting around just fine, so I am not needed there. That means 3 whole days of me time. WOO HOO. I am one of those that really needs that alone time.
Blondie, so glad you are going to have a fantabulous week end. Barb, I don't know how you do it. Amy, love the tat. Shirley, you are anything but invisible here. Wendy, happy birthday. I totally get the whole donut thing. I dearly love donuts. But...I have gained a lot of weight in the past 20 months. I have been trying to eat better. Cut out all added sugar, soda, and pasta. Trying to only eat good carbs. But when I got the news about my feet, I just kinda said to H with all of it. Unfortunately I had to drive right past a Krispy Kreme...I do love them. Ordered 4 and a milk..and woofed them puppies down like they were nothing. I know it didn't hurt anyone but me, but sometimes ya just gotta be a rebel.
Hugs and blessings to all. Prayers for those in need.

WendyI
March 13th, 2015, 03:13 PM
I so often feel invisible here..........

Awwwww honey...I'm so very sorry you feel this way!! (((((HUGS))))) I know it's never intentional!

Quiltfreestyle
March 13th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Shirley, do you have the kind of Maple tree that gives syrup? I've always loved maple syrup & being able to make your own sounds likes a great thing...

DH & I are enjoying a few days babysitting our youngest GS. He's just a year old & such a happy loving baby. He is so close to walking without holding on that DS & DIL said not to tell them if he takes his first steps. They are enjoying a much needed vacation, the first since the baby came. LOL I'm spending half my time sending pics to them & email updates. Something tells me they miss the kid. Haha
The other thing I've learned is we aren't in our twenties anymore. This kid is fast & I'm not as fast as I used to be.. BUT I've decided this is what a happy life is all about..
Hugs & love to all who need it

WendyI
March 13th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Wendy, happy birthday. I totally get the whole donut thing. I dearly love donuts. But...I have gained a lot of weight in the past 20 months. I have been trying to eat better. Cut out all added sugar, soda, and pasta. Trying to only eat good carbs. But when I got the news about my feet, I just kinda said to H with all of it. Unfortunately I had to drive right past a Krispy Kreme...I do love them. Ordered 4 and a milk..and woofed them puppies down like they were nothing. I know it didn't hurt anyone but me, but sometimes ya just gotta be a rebel.
Hugs and blessings to all. Prayers for those in need.

LOL Marilyn! Krispee Kream is EVIL!! We had one here but I live in such a health conscious community it only lasted I think a year and it was gone. There is one in Mississuaga (outskirts of Toronto), and every once in a while we will stop in and get them hot. I was bad and had another donut at lunch!! I feel like such a rebel myself today! lol

quiltingtrish
March 13th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Tried to go out in the yard after work today but it's too muddy to check for Spring. I'm sure we have little something's hiding under the leaves that we leave in the flower beds protecting them from all the snows and winds.

Went to the Lancaster quilt show on Wednesday and am trying to decide if I can justify the cost of the Block-Rock-It machine for my Grace Frame that I already have. Yes, I want it but I am also trying to pay off some old debts which I am leaning towards to be more important. I am not planning on doing quilts for others to charge them so there won't be any justification there. Oh, goodness. If that's the only decision I have to make at this point in my life, I am very blessed.

Hey there Blondie - Katie is in your neck of the woods. She is stationed at New River down on the coast for the next 3 1/2 years. I don't think you are anywhere near that but since it's the same state, you never know - I might just give you a holler and pop on by. Oh goodness, wouldn't that be something to go visit Blondie! Summer is coming and I don't plan on working this summer. I might need a vacation to get away from it all.

Off to start the weekend. Not sure what I'll get in to yet - hopefully something quilty.
Hugs!