PDA

View Full Version : This is very disturbing

rebeccas-sewing
March 13th, 2015, 06:09 AM
I felt I needed to share this with all of you. My daughter's boyfriend shared it on Facebook and I became very concerned since I know people who have this stuff throughout their homes. Try to ignore the heavy breathing from the person taping from his TV. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su2yA-TxnlU&feature=youtu.be

Blondie
March 13th, 2015, 06:31 AM
Heard this heavy breather when one of my cousin's saw it posted on FB as well. Another thing to be concerned about is the growing number of DIY'er's who make bed headboards for their children and themselves out of pallets, which also contain formaldehyde. While projects look cute, artsy, do you really want your kids or yourself to put your head in such close range to this?

rebeccas-sewing
March 13th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Definitely not, Blondie. So many of us just go blindly into these projects trusting that the materials are safe. It's so important to do some research when using certain products made in today's world. So many things are made without any concern for health and safety. It's all about how fast it can be produced and how much profit is to be expected from it.

Blondie
March 13th, 2015, 07:17 AM
To be politically incorrect here (and I don't care, so don't send me hateful pm's) - why are we still so blindly accepting anything from a country that still is under communistic rule - that is making buck off their worker's back, who still live in abject poverty on pennies a day? Thank you for bringing this to so many who may not be aware of it. For that matter, since you are in The Netherlands at the moment, you may not know that a LOT of our food products here in the States, both fresh and frozen are from China and South America. Salmon from China? How fresh can that be? Don't we have salmon here? etc. etc. Over the counter medicines that contain unacceptable ingredients. Children's items with formaldehyde in them. etc etc.

I find it more than disturbing and go out of my way to pay a bit more for Made in America. And no, I really can't afford to, but, stubborn me, if I can't grow it, I buy it from someone in this country who can for the most part.

Granny Judy
March 13th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Yeah for Blondie... and I, TOO, (meaning ALSO) do NOT BUY anything made in China.
Walmart is loaded with their "stuff" and I don't buy from them, either.

But we are surrounded with products from other countries. It gets overwhelming at times. but I'd rather do without then add another penny to a communist country.

dwil23
March 13th, 2015, 09:39 AM
To be politically incorrect here (and I don't care, so don't send me hateful pm's) - why are we still so blindly accepting anything from a country that still is under communistic rule - that is making buck off their worker's back, who still live in abject poverty on pennies a day? Thank you for bringing this to so many who may not be aware of it. For that matter, since you are in The Netherlands at the moment, you may not know that a LOT of our food products here in the States, both fresh and frozen are from China and South America. Salmon from China? How fresh can that be? Don't we have salmon here? etc. etc. Over the counter medicines that contain unacceptable ingredients. Children's items with formaldehyde in them. etc etc.

I find it more than disturbing and go out of my way to pay a bit more for Made in America. And no, I really can't afford to, but, stubborn me, if I can't grow it, I buy it from someone in this country who can for the most part.

Dear Ms Politically Incorrect!

I don't care if you are PC or not - you are 100% right! I admit to being guilty of not always checking for where soemthing is made, but I promise to try harder.

Now, my 2 cents worth on laminate flooring: RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN in the opposite direction. When I bought my house last year it was wall to wall sculptured multi colored carpet from 1990. Clean and in good shape, but carpet none the less. With all our four legged friends, carpet of any kind is not a good idea. My real estate agent mentioned that she had laminate flooring that she had in storage that was bought for a project that never got done and I could "buy it cheap". Seemed like a good idea since we could install ourselves. DS and DD spent hours putting it down and it looked nice. Until the first pet mishap. Then the seam started swelling. Then a glass of water got turned over and not cleaned up quickly enough, another swollen seam. I HATE THIS FLOOR!!!! I am afraid to step out of the shower for fear a drop of water will go unnoticed. I literally walk from the shower pulling a towel on the floor behind me.

I'm not sure where this was made, it was bought at either Sam's CLub or Costco, she couldn't remember, a few years ago. Funny thing is it clearly states on the box "25 year water warranty". I guess that means it would take 25 years for it to totally disintegrate. I am hoping to replace it soon.

WendyI
March 13th, 2015, 10:03 AM
I have bought cheap laminate before (installed it in our old house) and there is a massive difference between cheap laminate and expensive. The old adage holds true, "you get what you pay for"....and in this instance, "Caveat emptor" has never been truer - "buyer beware". Sadly the buyers in this case could not be aware because the boxes were not even labelled correctly...but lets be honest...who the heck knows what those coded labels mean anyway?! It is almost impossible these days to be an informed consumer because even when you try to ask the right questions, you're lied to. Even when you read the labels you are being misinformed. The government and advocates say to make your voice heard with your dollars but if you don't KNOW the products you are purchasing are evil how can you decide not to buy them?! It's maddening! So I'm with you Blondie...buy locally if you can...but really, we should all go back to growing and building on our own...and who has time for that?

Snip Snip
March 13th, 2015, 10:35 AM
We who buy all that soft cuddly fleece and minky....do we know where it is made? I see a lot of quilting cotton is made in Pakistan, India, South American countries, but I bet the fleece is made in China. Made from petroleum, right?
The thing is, we have become a nation of shoppers, and we think we need all that stuff made in China, all those knick-knacks and cute spring decorations, Christmas decorations, and yes, fabric.
Perhaps the best way to make a statement is to stop buying "stuff." And I agree with WendyI. We should start thinking "local."

Midge
March 13th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Rebecca, Blondie, Wendy, everyone - it made me sick when I first saw that 60 minutes segment on the Chinese laminate flooring. Like you, I know people who have this flooring in their homes and when I see the babies crawling on it and the kids playing on it, I just cringe inside. Same thing goes for all that cheap wall to wall carpeting - full of formaldehyde. Ditto for all the cheap furniture. And you see this so often in these new developments where the houses are "tight" for energy savings, therefore keeping those fumes in the house. As this issue gets investigated - and it already appears Lumber Liquidators knew the formaldehyde levels were high in the stuff and kept selling it anyway - the company will go broke and then a few months later some other company will pick up where they leave off. The problem is wanting cheap goods, of course. That is what made Wal Mart the giant it is and killed mom and pop businesses all across the country. It's nearly impossible to buy American in a lot of things because the industries have moved out of the US. We have all participated in this, too. Shoes made in this country? Forget it. Textiles, a subject near and dear to our hearts are manufactured overseas. I'm not saying all foreign goods are bad or harmful. Far from it. But how many instances of Chinese industries knowingly selling adulterated or harmful products do we have to put up with before we revolt? Remember the baby formula adulterated with melamine? Killed more Chinese infants than those from other countries, but right after that the nasty pet treat/pet food scandal started, and that is still going on today. This is getting long, and I know I am really on a rant here, but I am even more concerned about the so-far invisible long term health consequences of this chemical nightmare. Stop buying cheap crap you can live without and save your money to purchase a quality product!

dwil23
March 13th, 2015, 11:08 AM
We who buy all that soft cuddly fleece and minky....do we know where it is made? I see a lot of quilting cotton is made in Pakistan, India, South American countries, but I bet the fleece is made in China. Made from petroleum, right?
The thing is, we have become a nation of shoppers, and we think we need all that stuff made in China, all those knick-knacks and cute spring decorations, Christmas decorations, and yes, fabric.
Perhaps the best way to make a statement is to stop buying "stuff." And I agree with WendyI. We should start thinking "local."

I might be wrong, and should check this out before posting, but don't have the time now. But, if I remember correctly, our beloved MODA fabrics are produced in China. I seem to remember this from the video on their website. Someone shared it here again recently. At any rate, they are imported.

Midge
March 13th, 2015, 11:29 AM
I might be wrong, and should check this out before posting, but don't have the time now. But, if I remember correctly, our beloved MODA fabrics are produced in China. I seem to remember this from the video on their website. Someone shared it here again recently. At any rate, they are imported.

Check out this interesting blog post. We aren't the only ones with concerns. She says Moda emailed her that their fabrics are produced in Japan, Korea and India. So that's a plus. It's not that all foreign manufacturing is bad, but I have no trust whatsoever for Chinese manufacturing.

Over40momma
March 13th, 2015, 01:47 PM
My husband and I have constant battles over products ranging from food stuffs to furnishings. He still goes for price but it is slowly getting through his head because I have put my foot down and REFUSED to allow anything into our home that does not conform to proper farming practices or labelling practices.
Being in Canada doesn't protect you either because the labels are just as messed up here. One trick is that the product is brought in raw and then "put together" or "bagged or jarred" here and they are allowed to say it's Canadian. I have shown him how to beware by looking for anything that says "Distributed by" and the country it is from. This is a good way to dessiminate where all or part of that product was grown or manufactured.

alliek
March 13th, 2015, 02:15 PM
I doubt we could manage our lives without imports. BUT we can try to be educated on what imports are safe and if we can find the same product here. Problem is not China, the problem is with corporation owners here in the USA. However, I doubt we have the manufacturing capability here anymore to manufacture! That sure would solve a lot of unemployment problems across this country. We once were a nation that had an enviable record of items that were manufactured. Well, I'm sure I don't understand the entire workings of a large corporation, just seems like common sense to me. I saw that program about Lumber Liquidators flooring. That was the only manufacturer they mentioned. Last night the CEO was on a program and said the flooring was not a danger because the formaldehyde problem was between the top and bottom layers and only if the ends were exposed it might be a problem. He did admit the levels were higher than they were supposed to be and that they are fixing this although they do not, and several other manufacturers do not, agree with the testing methods used. Unless you are able to do your own experiments, you are left to wonder and guess! I've had laminate in a previous home, and had a good experience with it as others I know have had. If it isn't installed correctly, however, you can have shifting and spaces.

irishrn
March 13th, 2015, 06:28 PM
I saw the 60 mins presentation and learned a lot as I will be looking for hardwood floors sometime this year. But for me, the issue of imports has been a raging battle in our home for years! It started with seafood only from the USA. I will not eat any imported seafood! But when the TV needed replacing, DH had an entirely different opinion about price vs country! What a fight!!! But we were hard pressed to find any in our area that were not imported! Clothes........ Only made in America or Europe!
But food.... Lots of great food comes from other countries! So I can be swayed sometimes! Especially vegetables!!
Onions from Peru are the best!!
So yes, it is buyer beware! We should be supporting our local growers and manufacturing!!
Now for fabric....... I'm a wus!!! If I love it I have it!

Blondie
March 13th, 2015, 07:07 PM
I don't mind imports. I remember a time when imports were something exotic. I just question my own concept of fresh seafood from China or Chile and I also am a firm believer in what you compromise to get, you eventually lose. My main issue with China has been the unfair trade issue and their poor treatment of workers.
Years ago - not that many years ago - I was invited to join in a co op of sorts by a few well named artists to open a manufacturing plant in China. Two of my friends, who will remain nameless, went in and bought a factory. They mass produce home designer items and other decorative things, like quilts, dolls, etc. You can purchase their stuff in big box stores. Now and then, one of them will say, Blondie, you really missed the boat on this one. Those Chinese work non stop and really put out the merchandise. She has made money hand over fist. When at first she and my other friend went overseas to shop for a factory, licensing, etc. they came back to the USA with tons of photos. So, when years later she tells me how they work non stop, I still see those faces and realize I can sleep better at night knowing I did not run a sweat shop. And I still prefer my one of a kind hand made creations.

MaryD
March 13th, 2015, 09:57 PM
In Australia we have recently had a spate of Hepaitis A cases - all seemingly from frozen berries grown/packed in China. I have always tried to avoid made in China stuff, particularly food.

I used to buy New Zealand produce (almost as though it was another state of Australia) but their labelling is fairly lax too. Bulk tomaoes can be imported from China, packed in New Zealand, and labelled 'produce of NZ'.

dwil23
March 13th, 2015, 10:07 PM
I don't mind imports. I remember a time when imports were something exotic. I just question my own concept of fresh seafood from China or Chile and I also am a firm believer in what you compromise to get, you eventually lose. My main issue with China has been the unfair trade issue and their poor treatment of workers.
Years ago - not that many years ago - I was invited to join in a co op of sorts by a few well named artists to open a manufacturing plant in China. Two of my friends, who will remain nameless, went in and bought a factory. They mass produce home designer items and other decorative things, like quilts, dolls, etc. You can purchase their stuff in big box stores. Now and then, one of them will say, Blondie, you really missed the boat on this one. Those Chinese work non stop and really put out the merchandise. She has made money hand over fist. When at first she and my other friend went overseas to shop for a factory, licensing, etc. they came back to the USA with tons of photos. So, when years later she tells me how they work non stop, I still see those faces and realize I can sleep better at night knowing I did not run a sweat shop. And I still prefer my one of a kind hand made creations.

As with anything there is always more than one side to a story. I've always felt conflicted a bit over this issue, because I realize that sweat shop or not, the people that work in them need to make a "living" somehow - no matter how meager. And yes, I realize that there are others that are making the big bucks off their backs, but, would the people that work in the sweat shops have any employment at all if not for "the evil big box stores" that everyone despises?

So, I have taken the middle road on this one. Use common sense - no food products, consumable pet products, and like was said earlier, don't spend money on stuff you really don't need anyway, regardless of where it is made. (that last statement does NOT apply to fabric, of course ;-) ) And Blondie, I agree I would sleep better at night, too.

Deegles
March 14th, 2015, 12:08 AM
Ah, it is difficult to buy things that are made right here in the states. Most denim pants are made of USA fabric (cotton is grown here and is loomed here sometimes but goes all over the world to be cut and sewn) but actually sewn in mexico. I have been on a mission in the last couple of years trying to replace the crappy things that break from china and buy things made in America. It is difficult. I have successfully changed my dinnerware to HLC and got rid of the cheap crap from china. Most textiles are made in foreign countries. You can thank NAFTA for all of our Wal-mart made in China crap. It has slowly priced us out of jobs, and if it is made in america you are paying an american wage to buy it.

I can only think of a couple of things that are actually made in the states. Some New Balance shoes are made in america. If I am searching for shoes I try to get the ones made here. Lots of pharmacuticals are made here. Chocolate candy is made here. Some lawn mowers are made here. Can anyone think of more? Even though cars are assembled here, take for instance a toyota, most of the parts are manufactured in Japan. BTW a japanese build toyota is probably a better, longer lasting toyota than todays pieces of plastic glued together in the form of the car. They just don't make things like they used to. *sigh*

Deegles
March 14th, 2015, 12:11 AM
Oh and I forgot.....a lot sewing machines for years have been manufactured in Japan.

K. McEuen
March 14th, 2015, 12:39 AM
My Toyota Tundra was built in Texas and contains more American made parts than the same year of Ford F150.

stationarymom
March 14th, 2015, 01:28 AM
I saw the interview they did with a worker in a chinese factory making this flooring and he said even if the box says that it meets U.s. standards it is not true because the factory puts faulty flooring into boxes saying that it is safe.

CarolynK
March 14th, 2015, 10:14 AM

Blondie, you're not politically incorrect at all. I totally agree and I myself do the same to buy Made in America. That being said, it is sometimes difficult to actually KNOW where something is made because some companies are ambiguous in their divulging that information. Like Karen said about cars and trucks, I buy FORD because I like them but they are not "Made in the U.S." as we are lead to believe. Sure some parts are but not the whole. Hubs works for Beechcraft [now Textron (Cessna)] and they sent a whole plant down to Mexico to build parts and 99% had to be re-drawn and re-built when they were received here. We have outsourced so much for the almighty dollar and look where we are. Really sad that the consumer and ultimate user is so in the dark. That's my rant for the day.

Heather
March 14th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Heard this heavy breather when one of my cousin's saw it posted on FB as well. Another thing to be concerned about is the growing number of DIY'er's who make bed headboards for their children and themselves out of pallets, which also contain formaldehyde. While projects look cute, artsy, do you really want your kids or yourself to put your head in such close range to this?

Amen to this. I cringe when I see pallets being used, used to work in warehousing and distribution and I.would.never.ever. re-use a pallet.
DH wanted wood floor in his office, and we went to L.L. to check it out about a week before the story broke. Needless to say we will not be purchasing anything there. Sadly, it's hard to determine exactly where your product originates, as others have mentioned. And not to get too far off topic here, but this is also why I wash my fabric. You have no idea what else may be or previously was in the shipping container with it.