PDA

View Full Version : Which machines have the hover feature?

kaydee
March 12th, 2015, 01:08 PM
I am curious. I see everyone who has a Pfaff mention the hover feature. Do other brands have this as well? If so, which ones?

Thanks for your help.

K. McEuen
March 12th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Hover?

Has a Pfaff and has no clue what you are talking about ...

kaydee
March 12th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Maybe I'm not spelling it right. I'm talking about the feature that Pfaff owners mention where the presser foot lifts a slight amount when you stop sewing (which allows for you to easily turn the fabric or use your stiletto to tuck in a seam allowance).

KnitWitRosie
March 12th, 2015, 01:33 PM
I believe most Vikings do too (at least mine do). Viking and Pfaff are "sisters", so it makes sense that they have similar features. The "floating" feature means the foot just hovers over the fabric, not actually touching it whereas the spring-action foot actually "hops" up and down compressing the quilting sandwich.

I don't know what the benefit to one over the other would be in regards to quilting. I've got both feet but have only used the spring-action one so far.

Claire Hallman
March 12th, 2015, 01:38 PM
I have a Viking, too and it has the free motion floating feature. I love it and only once tried the hopping foot. I went right back to the floating since it works pretty well for me.
It also raises the presser foot when I stop the machine with needle down. Love that feature, too.

K. McEuen
March 12th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Maybe I'm not spelling it right. I'm talking about the feature that Pfaff owners mention where the presser foot lifts a slight amount when you stop sewing (which allows for you to easily turn the fabric or use your stiletto to tuck in a seam allowance).

Ah, my Pfaff was more than likely made before that. I've had it a while, but still love it.

But, reading what Jess said, if you are talking about while FMQing, mine does have a point where the presser foot doesn't go all the way down, as with regular sewing, that you use when you put the darning foot on. My foot isn't spring loaded and doesn't really hop, so this allows the fabric to move easily under the foot, while the machine still reads the foot as being in the down position. Of course on mine it is all manual, nothing automatic in this process.

Of course now the machines probably do it for you.

Doloris
March 12th, 2015, 02:56 PM
I have a Brother Dream Creator and it has the "hover" feature too. When I stop sewing the presser foot raises just a little so I can adjust the fabric. I think it is called the pivot feature on mine.

Iris Girl
March 12th, 2015, 03:04 PM
I have a Pfaff 4.0 . I will * hover* if I stop needle down and let me pivot freely. Is that what you mean? My old manuel 1540 does not have this feature. It is an electronics feature.

songbird857
March 12th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Viking Topaz here - has that feature and I LOVE IT!!!

bubba
March 12th, 2015, 03:28 PM
My Babylock has it, with the option of using it or not. On some machines it's called pivot instead of hover.

MBCA
March 12th, 2015, 05:30 PM
My viking saphire has this feature where the needle is down and the foot raises enough to pivot.

fatquarters
March 12th, 2015, 06:51 PM
I have a phaff and LOVE this feature. now have a new Bernina, that does have this feature, but I HATE the way it works

Genny
March 12th, 2015, 06:56 PM
I am curious. I see everyone who has a Pfaff mention the hover feature. Do other brands have this as well? If so, which ones?

Thanks for your help.

My Brother Quattro Triology has it and I love it! Its called pivot on mine.

Marebear
March 12th, 2015, 07:18 PM
My Viking Sapphire has it and I love it too!

JCY
March 12th, 2015, 09:43 PM
I have never heard of the "hover" feature. My Viking Opal 670 does not have it. I don't have a problem just lifting the presser foot to rotate the sandwich.

kaydee
March 12th, 2015, 11:09 PM
JCY, for me it's not about the turning. It's about piecing. I often piece 3-4 quilt tops per week, and stopping and lifting the presser foot every time I need to tuck a seam allowance under the foot really slows me down. This is especially a problem with flannel tops as the flannel does not lay down as nicely as regular cotton.

lmanna
March 12th, 2015, 11:23 PM
My brother VQ2400 does. It's called the pivot feature.

snippet
March 12th, 2015, 11:58 PM
I have never heard of the "hover" feature. My Viking Opal 670 does not have it. I don't have a problem just lifting the presser foot to rotate the sandwich.

Once you use this feature you will realize how great a timesaver it is.

TracyInBoise
March 14th, 2015, 03:06 AM
Several Bernina models have it....with a programmable option for whether the presser foot stops all the way up, all the way down, or slightly up. You can also use the free hand system with many machines to raise and lower the presser foot with your knee.

bubba
March 14th, 2015, 03:27 AM
My older machine does not have it, nor does it have the thread cutter, which is why I wanted a new one. So, Jill, the Babylock Aspire has both. As you know, I make a lot of purses, and it really comes in handy for that! When I am making other things, I just turn it off so it does not bother me. I have been paper piecing the past two days and have it shut off. For that, I think it would make me crazy. However, the thread cutter is sure nice to have for it!

rebeccas-sewing
March 14th, 2015, 05:34 AM
I do like that feature on my Viking. In appliqué tutorials I've watched, it really comes in handy when machine sewing around the edges of the appliqué. There is so much pivoting that happens during that application. Being able to pivot is very efficient for that purpose.

Bubby
March 14th, 2015, 06:35 AM
I don't think my Janome 12000 has that feature. I'm still learning all the features it has.

Lindagie
March 14th, 2015, 11:54 AM
My Pfaff 5.0 has it and I love that feature for so many reasons. Didn't know that I would love it as much as I do, but when I use my old Pfaff I sure do miss that feature.

Genny
March 14th, 2015, 11:54 PM
I don't think my Janome 12000 has that feature. I'm still learning all the features it has.

Bubby, I tried to send you a private message but your mail box is full...:D...

Your Janome 12000 does have the pivot feature and it works great! I used it all the time when I had this machine.
I'm trying to remember how to set up the pivot feature on your machine and if I remember right theres a box at the top left on your machine screen that has a + and - on it where you can change a few of your settings. Go into that and at the bottom of it there's a square (I think its the last one on the right side) and touch it. It will turn yellow and then the pivot feature is set. Hope this makes sense...if not...you manual will probably explain it better.

Meghan Plamondon
March 16th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Pfaff performance 5.0 has it, and needle down , works like a charm! Wouldnt live without it !