PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial of Burst Block by Rob Appell

Peg
March 12th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Recently I viewed the tutorial Burst Block by Rob Appell and fell immediately in love. So many choices ran through my head, and then to my dismay, instructions were only on the video, nothing I could print, purchase or download. I have watched the video, numerous times, trying to take notes, going back to my workroom, but I simply can not get it right. I am fairly new to quilting and this is very flusterating.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 12th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Just concentrate on how he makes his pattern, which is fairly clear. If you have a workable pattern, the sewing of each block doesn't look too difficult. Sewing very accurate seam allowances will be the key to making these blocks fit together, in my opinion. One member built one block and used it as a center block on a tote bag, which I thought was a great way to use a practice block!

Midge
March 12th, 2015, 11:16 AM
How frustrating for you! I get it - you are excited about this pattern and now you can't make it come out right. He is very clear about his measurements, so you should eventually be able to work it out. I suggest drawing the design on graph paper first to his measurements. If you don't have any graph paper at home right now, no worries. Here is the link for a site with downloadable printed papers, including graph paper. Try it out. I think you will solve your problem and then be able to trace your drawing onto Peltex or template plastic. Whatever you are using.

KPH
March 12th, 2015, 12:32 PM
If you noticed on his example his colors didn't all match up, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think it's the contrast that makes it so awesome.

Katrina

KPH
March 12th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Why don't you email him, or leave a comment on the tutorial for him to reply to.

BillNye
March 12th, 2015, 03:35 PM
We are actually working on doing the written instruction, we won't have them in sync for a few months, but they are coming!

hmstock
March 12th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Thanks for sharing your frustrations with us, Peg. For now, until we can get the full written instructions prepared, here's a diagram you can download to help you with the math of it (this is not to scale, but a great reference): http://mansewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/burstblock.pdf

We hope this helps!!

Hulamoon
March 12th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks for sharing your frustrations with us, Peg. For now, until we can get the full written instructions prepared, here's a diagram you can download to help you with the math of it (this is not to scale, but a great reference): http://mansewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/burstblock.pdf

We hope this helps!!

Thanks for the print out!

karencoffey
April 14th, 2016, 11:37 AM
do you have the written instruction yet for the burst block. i have tried and tried and i cant get my right. :-(