PDA

View Full Version : I love a bit of sassy advice!

stitchwishes
March 12th, 2015, 01:03 AM
Well, I just adore bits of sassy advice that make me feel good! I was just perusing stitching and sashiko videos and came across a piece of wonderful advice, especially for a beginner like me.

http://youtu.be/Qt4El9Accm4
"If people are going to look that close at it, they don't need to see your piece anyway."

I just loved hearing that! This week I finished my first attempt at Big Stitch on a table runner. I talked myself through my uneven stitches, and partway through gave up on marking lines and just got it done with very few corrections. I let it be fun and a learning experience instead of a source of frustration, and it ended up being exhilarating and I love the result. Honestly, for this project I think it would not look right without some ...character. :D

GuitarGramma
March 12th, 2015, 02:09 AM
Good for you! I've always had this mindset. I don't want my quilts to look like they're mass produced, they need to have some character (which I'm, ahem, really good at imparting).

There's a saying that there are no quilt police. I'm not sure if I believe that, but I sure know that they won't be allowed into my sewing room without a search warrant!

cindirae
March 12th, 2015, 06:55 AM
My mantra is: If I stand 6-feet back from my quilt and can't see the "mistake", it's not a mistake. Period. Otherwise I'd spend all my time frogging, and that's no fun!

shirleyknot
March 12th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Humans aren't perfect, so how can what we create be perfect? I say be the best you can be and embrace your little imperfections. Thinking otherwise is far too judgmental for me.

"Judge not....................."

Preeti
March 12th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Read Liberty's signature.
"Only God is perfect, my quilts don't have to be"

Personally, I believe if it is beautiful and brings joy to me and happiness to the recipients then it is PERFECT!!!

dlane2530
March 12th, 2015, 11:33 AM
I keep losing my seam ripper...mistakes look much less mistakey when you lose your way to fix every single one!!

shirleyknot
March 12th, 2015, 11:43 AM
I don't OWN a seam ripper, lost it years ago and never replaced it.

Alpha O
March 12th, 2015, 11:59 AM
2 old sayings:

Man on horseback, running for his life, will never notice a thing like that.
If it's perfect, the devil gets in it.

Art professor used to tell me to get my nose out of what I was doing. All you see is mistakes.

stitchwishes
March 13th, 2015, 06:32 PM
Hah, you all are too funny! I'm what I call a recovering perfectionist, I'm trying to be perfect at that. I was fighting with my internal quilt police as I was stitching, and they were mostly trying to get me to stay on the fabric, not within any lines, lol!

It's interesting, I'm just getting started with quilting and already see what a tremendous learning experience it is - for life in general!

TamiLee
March 13th, 2015, 08:46 PM
I just love this!! All comments are great.
I especially love how we give our projects "character"! And the older I get, naturally the better one gets, due to all the practice :D , but the more I truly appreciate the "character" in everyone's projects - mine own included! (even though I can tend to be a bit of a perfectionist with my own projects. :D)