PDA

View Full Version : I Must Be A Troubled Soul

janbee
March 9th, 2015, 09:16 AM
We have moved to our new (well not new but you know what I mean) home. There have been numerous discussions on this forum of how buying fabric is therapy for our soul. All I can say is I must have been a troubled soul many times because I have so much fabric to unpack. Not only do I enjoy quilting but I love making apparel as well and then there is the fleece. I have lots and lots of fleece because who knows if I might be able to find a certain design again. I am not quite to the point of being able to go in competition with Hancocks or Joanns but almost. I love every single piece and as I am putting my sewing room together I have had the opportunity to love on each piece and plan what I am going to do with it--again. You know that old saying "the person who dies with the most fabric wins", I think I "won" a long time ago. I don't have any friends who are sewing and quilting enthusiasts like I am so I have nothing to compare my wealth to but I figure I am pretty rich in fabric. Seriously, I have promised myself I won't buy anymore fabric for the rest of the year except for quilt backs or necessities to finish a quilt or garment. We will see how that works out. I thoroughly enjoy this forum and all of you. I have missed you while I was packing up and moving and then when I came down with double pneumonia two days after moving in a snow storm. We are now back to what is normal for hubby and I though I am still weak and have a lingering cough. He is off to work and I am off to unpack more boxes until I plunk out and have to rest. Happy quilting.

alik57
March 9th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Been there, done that with the move but I downsized from a 3 bed home to a 2 bed condo and then the "child" came home to live after college. I lost my sewing room and with that went my fabric stash. No where to put it so I got rid of it all. Everything went. Fleece I made scarves and hats for the homeless shelter and then I donated most of my cotton quilting fabric to local church organizations for their quilting guilds. I think back now on what I would have kept and I can't even remember what I had, there was so much of it. Now I only purchase fabric for whatever I'm making as there isn't any room to store it. :(

Feel better soon! :)

LynneLeavell
March 9th, 2015, 11:44 AM
I have a fabric stash to beat the band. When Piece Goods went out of business I bought a lot of the girly fabric hoping my daughter would like it. Well No. She is a tom boy if there ever is one. We have always said that my son should have been the girl and daughter the boy. So as she out grew the girly girl fase I would put that fabric in yard sales. Some I kept hoping that one day I would have a granddaughter. Well No. I have three grandsons. Would not trade them for anything. So now my stash is going more to the boy side. Needless to say out of the fabric that I have, that I have bought to do a certain quilt with or a certain tote bag with, or a certain change purse or wallet with, it is still sitting there. Whenever I start I new project I go and buy more. I have told myself several times that I am not going to go buy more fabric. So far I have stuck kinda close to that.

Have a great day everyone.

CraftHer
March 9th, 2015, 08:30 PM
When I got married 5 years ago, we had a yard sale because we had at least 2 of everything. I decided I would downsize my stash. I had is all displayed and people went nuts over my fabric! They would pick up one piece and then I would tell them "I bought this to go with that" or "These two or three go together". Wow, it was so hard to watch all these strangers leaving with MY fabric! Of everything we sold that day, that was probably the hardest. :)

quiltingtrish
March 9th, 2015, 10:25 PM
Good to have you back and I hope you feel better soon. They say it's good therapy just to sit and pet your fabric too.

alliek
March 9th, 2015, 10:56 PM
Yikes, moving is stressful, thankfully, you had your fabric to sooth your soul. Take care of yourself and get back to good health and God Bless your "new" home!