PDA

View Full Version : I love BLOCK magazine...but...

ShannanMN
March 6th, 2015, 04:32 PM
I love BLOCK magazine... really I do... we searched out every back issue and have tons of patterns marked - Jenny makes it so simple... BUT... I do have one small complaint... I think it would be EVEN better if there were equivalencies given in yardage fabrics in addition to precuts. In some cases I realize that doesn't make sense (i.e. Jelly Roll Race) but one of the things my husband and I love the most about quilting is picking out the fabrics. While I think precuts are brilliant, I think offering both the precut options AS WELL AS yardage alternatives (and cutting instructions) would be really helpful. I can certainly do that work on my own, but it would be most helpful if y'all did it for me!

:icon_heh:

K. McEuen
March 6th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Just keep in mind that M* is the world's largest seller of precuts and that is how most of their patterns are geared.

A Layer Cake and and Jelly Roll both have just under 3 yards in them. A charm pack just under one yard. From that you should be able to figure out what is needed.

redcaboose1717
March 7th, 2015, 12:29 AM
I am wondering what happened to my subscription to the block magazine.....due to the fact that I was hospitalized from Dec to Feb...I positive that I haven't received a magazine in quite awhile.....
Has anyone else experienced this ? ....I think a call to MSQC is in order about this....I love the magazine, I really do.

JCY
March 7th, 2015, 12:44 AM
Make sure the expiration date on your credit card is current. But if that were the case, I think they would have notified you by e-m. That happened to me. I just had to go in on change the info., then my billing went through.

How are you doing now that you're home? Kidneys working okay?

MariaNaito
March 7th, 2015, 02:29 AM
I think when plain solids are used for a Layer cake (like all white )or a JR then yardage could be given. ( I often work that out myself, but would be nice if it was shown.But for the precut patterns not needed as that is the whole point , to use the fabulous pre selected cuts selections

rebeccas-sewing
March 7th, 2015, 05:59 AM
I'm with Karen. MSQC is a company that focuses on precuts. There are a number of resources online that will give you estimates for yardage.

Iris Girl
March 7th, 2015, 07:33 AM
I also agree with Karen. Precuts is the main attraction here. Karen has given basic yardage to the precuts. Its pretty easy to figure from there. After all we need to do some of the work or we could just buy premade quilts. I find joy in all aspects of quilting including figuring yardage..besides a little extra never hurts.

Suzette
March 7th, 2015, 08:23 AM
While it's true that offering a huge selection of pre-cuts is one of MSQC's main claims to fame, they do sell yardage as well, so it absolutely would still benefit them (and us) to put yardage amounts in their pattern instructions as well. :icon_bigsmile:

icul8rg8r
March 7th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Easy to convert charms to yardage ... 36" / 5" will give you seven 5" strips then divide 40 (wof) / 5 = Eight 5" squares. So 1 yard fabric will give you 8 x 7 = 56 charm squares. I'm not that great at math, but this one was pretty easy for me! I like cutting my own precuts from yardage.

Juliet Taylor
March 7th, 2015, 09:54 PM
I know it takes time but you can convert it :) I do it when I see something Jenny made and since I have no precuts at all in my stash I convert it :) it just takes some minutes after all :)

kensington
March 7th, 2015, 11:37 PM
You can't please all the people all of the time. And actually, you can only please some of the people some of the time... Block works for me.

I got home from Disney World today and my copy was waiting me to put on my p'J's and crawl under a quilt and spend some down time just relazzzzing. It turned into a really good nap. LOL

tiffanym
March 12th, 2015, 07:13 PM
I am wondering what happened to my subscription to the block magazine.....due to the fact that I was hospitalized from Dec to Feb...I positive that I haven't received a magazine in quite awhile.....
Has anyone else experienced this ? ....I think a call to MSQC is in order about this....I love the magazine, I really do.

I got an email stating my card was about to expire. Perhaps that happened while you were away?

kensington
March 13th, 2015, 01:33 AM
While it's true that offering a huge selection of pre-cuts is one of MSQC's main claims to fame, they do sell yardage as well, so it absolutely would still benefit them (and us) to put yardage amounts in their pattern instructions as well. :icon_bigsmile:

The issue really isn't about the yardage. Jenny designs and make quilts using precuts, so that is what they are and why there is a Block magazine. She is about the precuts. They break that pattern down in multiple ways now. It's OK that we figure up yardage if we want to use it for the quilts she makes with precuts, but that just isn't what Jenny does. Block is about what Jenny does.

I hope that makes sense.

Vonnie
March 13th, 2015, 12:00 PM
If memory serves me (sometimes it short changes me) M* did do up a nice little yardage chart. Maybe just reprint it in the back of the book along with other how to tips. And maybe also the chart that they have which shows how many charms/cakes/jr's to make a crib, twin, queen or king quilt. All could be in the back of the book and not take up space adding to each pattern.

When watching the new tutorial this morning I was thinking there was enough of that layer cake left over to make two more Dresden blocks. That I think would make a nice twin size quilt. Or a couple of matching pillows.

tamsterg7
March 13th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Matching pillow shames - GREAT idea!

Jean Marie
March 14th, 2015, 01:47 PM
In the back of the magazine there is a pre - cut glossary that tells you how much yardage each pre-cut is equivalent to.

babaz
March 18th, 2015, 06:24 AM
JENNY has thousands of bolts of yardage for sale, including solids. Her Kona is more than reasonable and buying yardage from her is going to put back into her business. If she would include it in patterns, I would buy from her and it would be a great service for those of us who have to drive f or 45 min to get to a fabric store. Some of us like v e the pattern. But would also like to pick our own yardage colors from the same designers...Ok, steam let off now...toot toot!

beckiedaisy
April 1st, 2015, 09:02 PM
This happened to me to I paid for it in December and the new issue was suppose to be out in Feb. so I emailed them and they said if I didn't get by March 10th to give them a shout out, it arrived on the 4th of March.

Lilly
April 1st, 2015, 11:48 PM
Looks like we have 2 threads running at the same time on this thread - or am I just confused?

BillNye
April 2nd, 2015, 11:00 AM
1) that's a good suggestion on fby measurements, we need to do it in a way that doesn't confuse or distract (we like the simplicity of just the precut measurement)

2) subscriptions are gonna get cooler in about 2 months too :)

Bratbear
April 2nd, 2015, 02:22 PM
1) that's a good suggestion on fby measurements, we need to do it in a way that doesn't confuse or distract (we like the simplicity of just the precut measurement)

2) subscriptions are gonna get cooler in about 2 months too :)

I think it is so wonderful that take the time to read our post. Thank You!!!!

Fabriclovr
April 2nd, 2015, 02:32 PM
When I changed credit cards, I forgot to update it here. When it came time for the next issue and they couldn't process it, I got a nice little e-mail that said "Oops, something went wrong with your cc, payment" I fixed it and had the issue in my hands in just a few days. Thanks M* for being on top of things when we forget!!