PDA

View Full Version : Here comes Friday

Blondie
September 16th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Happy Friday, everyone!

Oh what a difference a day makes. I can feel the cool air that blew in last night. It feels great! I know, I know, soon enough we shall ALL be complaining about how cold it is, how deep the snow is, how slick the ice is, and on and on with our litany of complaints about the weather. However, right now, right here, this minute where I am sitting, it feels great to NOT to have the A/C on. I love sweater weather. And I also know this won't last very long and we will be hot again in a few days.

What's everyone got on tap for this weekend? This weather makes me want to go see a football game and tailgate!

Bubby
September 16th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Good Morning...DH and I are leaving for Springfield and his surgery at 9:30. It's raining and windy, so please pray for our trip and the surgery...thanks!!! We should be home this evening. They have scheduled DH for 5 hours, with surgery being about 2 hours, then there's recovery room, etc. I'm taking a good book and a new quilt mag.

Thanks for your prayers.....Barb

quiltingtrish
September 16th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Good morning everyone! I love the sweater weather too. It is my favorite time of the year. I try not to think of what's after that.

DH and I have a wedding to go to tomorrow. It's for my best friends son. It's in Mt. Airy, MD and supposed to be a lavish affair starting at 4:30 PM. I hope we sleep in tomorrow morning cause it will be a late night 2 hour drive home but we are looking forward to it. I hope someone gets our photo since we'll be all dressed up.

For today though, off to school this morning. Very busy there but the days fly since it's one nonstop class after another.

Haven't had a chance to pick up my next project. I hope to do that sometime tonight.

Prayers coming Barb! I hope the day goes fast for both of you.

Have a good day everyone!
Hugs,

Loonwatcher
September 16th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I love the sweater weather too. It is my favorite time of the year. I try not to think of what's after that.

Me too!!! Down in the 40's this morning. Supposed to be nice all weekend. I've got some sewing planned. Not sure which item on the list I'm going to tackle but it should be fun.

Barb, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your DH. I'll be away from the computer until Sunday night so I'll be on pins and needles until I'm back Sunday and read that ALL WENT WELL!

Everyone have a great weekend.

Sandy Navas
September 16th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I have Barb and her DH in my prayers for the day. Thinking of Blondie and Nancy all wrapped up in sweaters while my internal furnace keeps me warm and toasty. I did put the electric blanket on the bed last night and warmed my Roomie's side up since he always complains of cold feet. I looked for a sweater when we were headed out for dinner last night and couldn't remember what I did with all of mine when I cleaned out my closet the other day. Hope they weren't in the things I took to donate.

Trish, we're all hoping you have a wonderful trip, enjoy the wedding and insist that someone takes your photos. Sure glad your son wasn't injured in his fender bender, and sending healing prayers for Katie's knee. That's a real bummer.

Okay, we'll see who is keeping up. I did mention that I was seeing my eye doctor yesterday for follow-up on my eye pressures. I have received several inquiries/comments, so I will share. Back in the 70's I suddenly lost my vision in my right eye. Took a couple days before I got in to see the ophthalmologist only to find the damage was to the optic nerve and permanent. Oh, we did try many things, but recovery wasn't to be. I have peripheral vision in that eye and have adjusted through the years. The final decision was that I had a serious sinus infection and the infection spread through bone into the nerves in that eye.

Fast forward. Sometime early 2000's I was having a routine exam by my optometrist. He determined that I was loosing vision in my left eye, inner lower quadrant (towards the nose). He sent me for referral and the downward spiral started. Yes, I have glaucoma. Yes, I had early cataracts. Yes, I had signs of macular degeneration. All three FATAL vision diagnoses. I was started on special vitamins for the macular degeneration, eye drops for the glaucoma, and a constant watch on the cataracts.

I never do anything easy. Turns out I was allergic to the eye drops for the glaucoma. They tried something else. I was allergic. The third one was a charm but did nothing to lower my eye pressures. Nor did the next one. I had laser surgery to open pores in the eyes to aid in fluid drainage. No good. Had another laser surgery. No deal. Had another laser surgery. Still no help. Change drops - still no good. Laser surgery again. Pressures are still up. Added another drop. Pressures still high. Meantime I've had cataract surgery on both eyes - on the right 'blind' eye to help preserve the vision I do have there, and on the good left eye. Believe me that was not an easy decision to make - what if I turned out to be one of those who did not have a good success? But, it worked.

I have very frequent checks on my eyes. Last check up was back in late July and with pressures still in the danger zone new eye drops were added to my regimen. Follow-up yesterday showed I still had danger zone pressures. Bottom line? It's time for a decision. They have tried to go the easy route on me because of the prior damage to the right eye. However, if they do not reduce the pressures there is a very strong chance that I will lose the vision in my left eye sooner than later. Currently, though, I am functioning just great and have no restrictions on my vision other than the obvious loss of vision in the right eye. Decision time. The next available option is to have surgery where they puncture the eye and put in a drain. The downside is that most patients have about 10 days to two weeks of healing time after this and will essentially be blinded during that time. With my right eye being bad that will leave me at my spouses disposal . . . he may just want to dispose of me by then. Upside is that not all patients have to put up with the few weeks of blindness or blurry vision - some snap back almost immediately. So much depends on your healing time. Fortunately, mine has been great on other surgeries. However, not knowing the material in the drain causes me concern because I so often react to things - surgical tape is a big no-no to me, as is latex. So, sure don't want a latex tube inserted in there - I was so shook I didn't even ask all the questions that are popping up now.

I see the doctor again on the 17th of November and at that time we'll discuss in more detail and see where we go from here. I'm going to make sure DH and DD attend with me because they both think clearer about this than I do.

Sorry to be so long-winded . . . I'm not staging a pity party here, so don't take it that way.

If you got this far in reading all I ask for are prayers now and then.

meemeecyn
September 16th, 2011, 10:14 AM
No pity party taken, Sandy. You are a remarkably strong woman, who always sees the upside of things! I have never witnessed you having any kind of pity party. It is no wonder you are scared and worried. Anyone would be. Know that your friends are praying for you now and at your 11/17 appt. and anytime in-between. It is good you taking support along. The news is shocking and it is normal for the brain to shut down. Take care, Dear Friend.

Prayers for you and DH, too, Barb. You'll have a long day.....hope not too tired to feel the electronic hugs coming your way.

Enjoy the refreshing air, Blondie. I know exactly the feeling of crispness you are talking about!!!

Have fun at the wedding, Trish! Woohoo!!!

Have a great weekend, Everyone.
Cynthia

janluna
September 16th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Barb, prayers are with you and your husband and the doctors.
Trish, prayers for a safe trip in both directions and an enjoyable time.
Sandy, my love, my heart goes out to you. All the diseases you have going on are so very serious! Prayers for the right decision to be made and a healing for your eyes. Start writing down all your concerns and questions now, so you forget nothing to ask or tell the doctor. For instance, the fact that you are allergic to latex and the meds they have had you on that didn't work. Sometimes doctors need reminding of them, especially the latex allergy if you end up with surgery. And I mean the Doctor, not the nurse who does the intake for the patient. They get their wires crossed sometimes and the docs miss what the nurse wrote down. I know this from passed experiences. If they seem bothered that you have questions, leave and get another doctor! We will pray for you everyday until this is resolved. I also have cataracts they are watching and glaucoma runs on both sides of my family. They watch my pressure close and have since I was a 4 year old kid. My husband and I will pray hard everyday for you.
As for the cooler weather, bring it on! You can always put on layers to get warm but you just can't take enough off to get rid of the heat. Especially the way this summer has been. Besides I feel better in cooler weather. I love the fall. It is my favorite time of year.
Oh Trish, tell your friend's son that the 17th of September is a lucky day to be married on. That is our anniversary and this is year 46 for us.
Prayers for everyone and special ones for Sandy and Barb. Hugs, Jan

This is extra for you Sandy: <\\\\\X

janluna
September 16th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Sandy, sorry for being so vocal, I'm just worried for you. Hugs, Jan L.

KiltedQuilter
September 16th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I'm busy here taking 5 minutes at the computer while the baby sleeps. Watching the rain, yuck.
I am thinking about all of you!(well, not all of you but the ones who NEED it, if you get me!) :D

EsGrandma
September 16th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Dear Sandy and Barb - my prayers are with you. Trish, Enjoy the happy times! Update on my son (thanks again everybody for your prayers and warm thoughts!!), they are all home and my son has called a couple of times - now, if he will call his sister - maybe we can start to heal. Thanks, Linda

sally
September 16th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Good Friday morning to you all. Sandy my heart goes out to you and you are so in my prayers as are Barb and her hubby. Have faith! WE are off to the Us this weekend...Cashmere Washington for an antique fair. Weather is cooler here to...love Sweater weather...love sweaters if the amount in my closet is any indication...lol

May you see God's light on the path ahead
When the road you walk is dark.
May you always hear,
Even in your hour of sorrow,
The gentle singing of the lark.
When times are hard may hardness
Never turn your heart to stone,
May you always remember
when the shadows falló
You do not walk alone

Hugs Shauna

Sandy Navas
September 16th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Sandy, sorry for being so vocal, I'm just worried for you. Hugs, Jan L.

You know I love you, right?

That goes for EVERYONE here - and all their warm wishes and prayers.

Sandy Navas
September 16th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Sweaters: I mentioned that I had searched for a sweater last night and feared I may have donated ALL of mine. So, with a chill in the air this morning I started searching again. High and low in my bedroom and closet. NOTHING. I was near panic. Then this old feeble mind did a remembering moment (sometimes I forget what those feel like) and remembered that I had cleaned out our hall closet recently. Lo and behold - there are all my sweaters, hanging neatly in the back of that deep, deep closet.

Watch the weather climb into the high 90's again next week.

toggpine
September 16th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Morning All!
I should be at the state fair helping with the 4-H/FFA animal haul-in this morning. I have 75 pounds of tomatoes rotting on my front porch. My husband's dear friend brought them home from Yakima for me. This would have been very welcome if they hadn't been in the first stages of decay when he bought them. Now they have bounced home in his car, and then bounced home in the back of my husband's truck. They are juicing themselves on my front porch. UGH! Some look salvageable, I am just hoping that there are more good than bad. The chickens will get some fine snacks today and the compost pile will get the rest. I can't put off processing them at least minimally without ruining even more. So this morning is tomato hell, then I'll take a nice shower and head in to the fair to help where I can before heading home to get ready for all of the judging contests tomorrow.
Barb, safe travel and prayers for your husband and his surgical team. Smart move with the book & mag combo. I have a few "waiting" projects that I take with me for those situations.
Sandy, no pity, just concern. I hope there is a happy resolution to this. Glad you found your sweaters!
Shauna, safe travels for you as well! It sounds as if you do A LOT of traveling for work too. I hope you find some great stuff on your antique treasure hunt!
Well, I have dallied here long enough. Those tomatoes are not going to clean themselves up.
Take care! Cathy

LynneLeavell
September 16th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Sandy and Barb prayers are with you both. Trish have fun at the wedding. Blondie enjoy the cool weather bacause like you said it is liable to be hot again real soon.

My Chapter of the Eastern Star that I am a member of here in Georgia is having a yard sale and bake sale while the Mason's at the same lodge are having a Bar B Que. So hopefully I will get some work done on my youngest Grandsons' Christmas stocking. I'm crosstitching it so I will have it with me tomorrow working on it when I can. Then tomorrow we will have all three of the Grandsons. The hopefully Sunday I can get some sewing done. Going to a local quilt show on Sunday for a little while.

Hope everyone enjoys the weather if it's good where you are. Becareful if it's bad where you are. Sandy and Barb again prayers for you two.

bakermom
September 16th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Barb and sandy, prayers for both of you. eye issues are very scary. my mom has glaucoma and has dealt with the drops for years,as well as laser treatments. because of that I am always on edge when I have my exams. Ihope they find an answer for you Sandy.

oldgurl4
September 16th, 2011, 12:43 PM
MORNING!!.... Everyone
Sorry!... But I can't Stay... Got sewwww Much to CUT!

Yeayyy.... And I can't Wait!! Hee-hee

Blondie and all of you getting nice cool weather...please send some down here.
It still humid.
I'm so looking forward to the Fall Coolness.

Hi Trish!! Have fun at the Wedding... Ohh!!! Plz Do have a BUBBLY For Me ...
Okay make That "2" BUBBLIES...Hee-hee and don't forget to send Pics!

ROGER ~n~ OUT

TTYL

HandsOffItsMine
September 16th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Aloha Friday to all,

Blondie, snuggle yourself in a sweater.

Barb and DH, prayers and healing light to you today especially.

Trish, bring a pocket camera and make sure to ask to have pictures take, pick your designated driver. ; )

Sandy, you're not the self pity type of gal! More like "The facts Mame, just the facts." : ) Diseases dealing with the brain and sight are especially stressful, who we are is such a part of those organs. Get a 4x6 notebook that will fit in your purse, and write down your questions in the front and your symptoms in the back - that way you can just keep adding on and the subjects don't get inner mixed. Always good to bring a someone with you that can be the second set of ears and Q/A person. Know that you're in my prayers.

Shauna, assigning an angle to sit on the dash on your long trip! Have fun, put up some picture of your finds!

Hmmm Cathy, rotting tomatoes...not going to volunteer flying out to help you. Just too yucky! ;/

Lynne, happy cross-stitching, enjoy the GSs, we miss ours terribly. We'll be Skyping this weekend to see them.

Need to pick up some cheap felted backed table clothes and clear push pins, we have two small sliding closet doors (original 1970 pressed homosote) that I'm going to use as a design wall. Don't know yet how I'm going to improve the lighting as it's an interior room, no windows. Has one weird light mounted on a vertical wall. What was that architect thinking?

Wish everyone a wonderful day. Prayers to all in need, TTYL Ruby

csarina
September 16th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Sandy I was told I had a cateract in my left eye and MD in my right and was referred to the Eye Hospital. Fortunately the MD is mild just now but there is a watch being kept on the cateract and at the right time it will be seen to. I am taking vitamin supplements .......the thought of lossing my sight terrifies me.

I have a friend who has glaucoma, she is registered partiaslly sighted but she still manages to quilt.

I do not envy you the decision you have to make, I will be thinking about you.

Blondie
September 16th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Hi Ladies,
Just home from the salon; short day for a Friday. Lots of folks deciding to enjoy a cool drive to the mountains, so I didn't make much money today. Sigh. I love self employment but sometimes it just sucks to have my bank account.

Barb, have been praying all day for hubby and you. It was a wonder I could shampoo since in my heart my arms were around you both.

Sandy, Sandy, Sandy. You are such a marvel to me. I understand the no pity party thing. So glad that you are here ~ where we are family - we don't pity, we rally for each other, pray for each other and love each other. Every family has one or another that needs extra of all of the above at some time. We have all been there, done that. I am just thankful that you can share with us so we can stand in the gap, praying for you. I pity those who don't have anyone.

Jan, my heart is breaking right now. I am still praying for miracles for Emily. Know you are in my prayers too. She is one tough kid. God bless her.

Off to check on the Moms. She has been very quiet today. I haven't received one phone call at work from her today and trust me, that is very unusual. I betcha she is getting into trouble. Check in later.

sewmuchjan
September 16th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Sending prayers ans hugs to Barb and her DH and for Sandy and her "Roomie". God Bless and keep you all in His arms.

For everyone else hugs and safe trips and have a fun day. Happy sewing toooo!!! :)

Love and hugs
Jan G

toggpine
September 16th, 2011, 04:37 PM
The first box of tomatoes is done. I nearly wept my eyes out chopping up the little onions we managed to harvest out of the garden this year. Small, but powerful! Whew! A few of them will go far in the sauce! I was able to save a little more than 2/3 of them. My super-size milk pail is ready for a trip to the chicken pen though, or a good political rally! Ruby, I wouldn't ask you to handle them, I'd just be happy to have the adult conversation!
Em & I are having a lunch break and then I'm going to get on to the next two boxes. Em's been randomly helping me turn the crank on the Squeezo. She goes until her arm is "done". I think I'll freeze most of the rest of them for processing later. I don't really care if they break down since I'll be pulping them anyway. I just don't have two days to sit and mind the stove while this stuff boils down. I think I'll try one batch with some pureed veggies. We have some of the carrots left from our 48 pound gift, and a few small zukes from the garden. The extra nutrients will be good and since it all looks like tomato sauce the boys won't know!
The grandson is here today. Momma was running a fever, so daddy went over to pick him up last night. He sounds like the cat when he cries. He has been a good baby so far. I finally got to hold him while daddy was making him a bottle this morning. He seems a lot smaller than Em was. That was 5 years a go though, so who knows what my feeble mind really remembers.

The turkey sammie is gone, so I don't have an excuse to still be sitting here. Back to the pile of skoogie tomato boxes.
Cathy
P.S. The house smells wonderful!

Angela C.
September 16th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Hi, Blondie.....I feel the crisp air too. I love it!! This morning was 46* and I could have jsut laid out on the back porch and went back to sleep, though, other things were calling my name. I am fairly new here, so, since I don't know many of you as yet...I'll jsut say that I will pray for the hand of Jesus to be upon all of you that need it, I know I do.

Hubby will be working late, as usual, has been working 10 to 12 hours a day since March (Praise My Lord), we prayed for help with our finances and He answered with overtime....bigtime. Amen!!! Tonight my youngest daughter and I will be heading out to the local Auciton house, not far from here (so Blondie if you ever want to come it is right above Laurel Park Tire in the shopping center wher Dollar General is). TOngiht there is going to be some Estate items there......jsut a couple jumped out at me (wooden thread spools and quilts) now why in the world do I need a wooden spool? lol. I guess I could get enough to build a coffee table with them. lol.

Hope all is well with everyone and may you all have a wonderfully blessed weekend. Until next.....Toodles!!

Bubby
September 16th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Sandy, Oh Sandy! What a burden on your mind and heart. I can understand your apprehension and fear. The only thing I know to do after I have all the facts straight in my head is to lay the whole thing at the Lord's feet and let him take and carry the burden for you. This is much easier said than done. You have loads of support and prayers from our group and I know your DH is yur rock. One day at a time...one step at a time. My prayers are definitely with you and will continue to be with you....HUGS....Barb

HandsOffItsMine
September 16th, 2011, 08:07 PM
LOL Cathy, I bet my arm would be "done" before Em's would be. Don't you just love what kids say.

I bet that the house smells wonderful. To have all those veggies from your own garden, the closest I'll get is the Farmer's market tomorrow morning at the Waianae H.S. It's very small, but there is a young Hawaiian couple there every week, that DH and I go back to when in need. She's expecting her 2nd one, almost at the end but only looks like an oversized cantalope. ;)

Enjoy the GD and the baby, so miss our GSs.

Hugs, Ruby

Blondie
September 16th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Dang Angela - I haven't been to an auction in forever. I used to go to one that was on the Boulevard in Spray section of town. That's been awhile back. Depending on the wooden bobbins - if they are reasonable enough and a nice size you may consider getting them. I have a lamp I made in my LR from old wooden bobbins taken from one of the closed down mills here. I still have the yarn on them, lol.
Same could be done with spools and that would look neat-o in your living room or your sewing room. Just a thought.
Of course, I bet those quilts will be gorgeous. Take pictures and have a good time. Love auctions.

Hi, Blondie.....I feel the crisp air too. I love it!! This morning was 46* and I could have jsut laid out on the back porch and went back to sleep, though, other things were calling my name. I am fairly new here, so, since I don't know many of you as yet...I'll jsut say that I will pray for the hand of Jesus to be upon all of you that need it, I know I do.

Hubby will be working late, as usual, has been working 10 to 12 hours a day since March (Praise My Lord), we prayed for help with our finances and He answered with overtime....bigtime. Amen!!! Tonight my youngest daughter and I will be heading out to the local Auciton house, not far from here (so Blondie if you ever want to come it is right above Laurel Park Tire in the shopping center wher Dollar General is). TOngiht there is going to be some Estate items there......jsut a couple jumped out at me (wooden thread spools and quilts) now why in the world do I need a wooden spool? lol. I guess I could get enough to build a coffee table with them. lol.

Hope all is well with everyone and may you all have a wonderfully blessed weekend. Until next.....Toodles!!

Sandy Navas
September 16th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I want to go to the AUCTION! I promise not to outbid my friends!!!! I have a huge display of wood bobbins on my fireplace mantle, and boxes of old wooden thread spools, too. I buy up all this stuff with ideas in mind (for instance the spools were supposed to be hung with prim little flags over the sliding doors in my dining room) . . . not done yet. I'm funny at auctions. One of the first ones I ever went to was because they had a bunch of butter churns (Daisys) and I wouldn't bid high enough to buy one. Yet I spent more than what the most expensive one went for on a bunch of junk! Go figure. Less for more, right? Anyway, one of the things I bought that night was a cardboard sewing box with a lot of old threads, ribbons, lace pieces. Thrill of thrills though. Think I paid about $10 for the box and when I got home I found there was a secret bottom in the box. In the bottom were 18 different collar and cuff sets for women's dresses. Some were crocheted, some were fine muslin with embroidery, some plain, some with lace and ribbon adornment. Always wanted to put them in shadow boxes and display but they are still wrapped in tissue in my dresser . . . . Maybe I'd best sit this one out.

toggpine
September 16th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Ruby,
Our garden was pretty lame this year. The onions are barely big enough to be considered "pearl" sized. The three zukes are 6 to 8" long and maybe 2" across. All of MY carrots were eaten off in the ground by the Carrot Fly larvae. (Hmmm, wonder how they got that name?) We ended up with a 48# bale of organic carrots from the feed store. Apparently the grocery store wouldn't accept them. The local guy had three pallets of them and took them to the feed store. So if you happened to show up on that day, you got at least one 48# bag of carrots. Our neighbor brought home carrots for everybody!
We have A LOT of little Emilys on this forum. Mine is my daughter. My step-son just had his own son with is ex-girlfriend. I wasn't really ready to be a grandma @ 40, but not much I have to say about that!
ONE MORE BOX! UGH! I thought this would go sooo much faster! Who said this wasn't a full time job?!?!?
C

toggpine
September 17th, 2011, 02:48 AM
OMG! NO MORE TOMATOES!
The last box must have been the "seller" box. I only had one or two that were really bad.

I don't think I'll be in the mood for anything with a tomato base for a few weeks. I'm going to get these cooled off and in the fridge. I'll put them up tomorrow when I get back from the fair. Sheesh! Next year when I think I want to do this again, some body smack me upside the head if I decide to do it during the state fair.

Another hour or so and I can hit the sack!

See you all tomorrow evening! Cathy

Ashenhurst
September 17th, 2011, 04:26 AM
I agree that the weather is changing and soon winter will set in and coffees will be in high demand. Can't wait to experience fog and jackets.

Alana
September 17th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Dears Sandy, of course my prayers will be with you. So much to go through.....I'm sure when you go for your next appointment you will remember everything you need to ask. Write it down if you think you may forget. Having DH and DD with you will be great support for you.
Praying for a bright out come....