PDA

View Full Version : a little dissapointed in a pattern in the BLOCK

sewitseams
March 2nd, 2015, 06:05 PM
I had everything I needed to make the "Big Star" quilt. (the one with charms all around a center star) The instructions in the block magazine said to use 10" squares...etc...etc. I started making the large star just as the instructions called, but had a time with it. Finally decided there was a problem with the cut size of the squares in each corner...so I adjusted for that and the block came out looking great. BUT, then I could not for the life of me get the charms to match up. SO, I went to the turtorial and there Jenny instructed the use of a 9" square (not 10") and a different cut for the corner squares. WHAT!! I spent all morning fooling with this, hoping to have an easy project quickly finished. Now, I got nothing. I used my fabric for the big star and have none left. To find a "good" in this, I will just take the 4 charms packs and make a quilt with them. It was for My bed anyway. And, as for the big star, I will probably put a border on it and finish it for a table topper. Not really the finish I was looking for. :(

cmhquilter
March 2nd, 2015, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the post. It was one on my to do list.

BarbO
March 2nd, 2015, 09:50 PM
Ohhh...I feel badly for you :(

I had the same experience with a pattern I purchased when we had a speaker at our quilt guild. I had intended on making 5 small Xmas wall hangings - that didn't happen! Someone at that pattern company must have skipped school the day that math lesson was taught! Personally, I have only tried a couple of MSQC patterns as I am just returning to quilting after a 10+ year hiatus. I am still reading, re-reading, measuring (3-4 times!), and then cutting LOL I'm not going to mention that I'm 10+ years older and need to do that as well - just for my sanity!

I'm glad you made the best of your problem :)

~~Barb

kmerfeld
March 4th, 2015, 08:30 PM
I was little nervous seeing this since I have all the stuff for it. I looked in Block at the pattern/instructions and not seeing where you saw to use a 10" square?? It does say to use a 8 1/2 one and 8 7/8 squares....

K. McEuen
March 4th, 2015, 09:28 PM
Just as a clarification - the original poster is talking about the Big Star Charm Quilt.

verenaerin
March 5th, 2015, 04:09 PM
The same thing happened to me. I even called them to them them, but they said there was nothing wrong with the pattern. I was 9 months pregnant and not going to get into it with them. I was able to adjust some things and make it work. The thing is, I picked that pattern because it was supposed to be an easy no brainer, so much for that idea.

Nancy B
March 14th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Hi all, when is BLOCK shipped? Mine is shipped to WA, if that makes a difference. Or when should I expect it to arrive?
Will someone email to let me know when the subscription is expired or soon to be?

K. McEuen
March 14th, 2015, 05:43 PM
Hi all, when is BLOCK shipped? Mine is shipped to WA, if that makes a difference. Or when should I expect it to arrive?
Will someone email to let me know when the subscription is expired or soon to be?

The magazine shipped a couple weeks ago. The store sends an email if your subscription is in danger of not being shipped due to an expiring credit card, but you are on auto-renewal until you go into your account and turn it off.

Terry L
March 15th, 2015, 01:05 AM

I have sent 2 emails to the store asking about mine that has not made it to my mailbox. I would send an email asking about it

babaz
March 18th, 2015, 06:02 AM
So did you order a kit with pattern? Or use pattern out of Block magazine? I try to make 1 sample block before I cut all the fabrics...(sometimes that doesn't work either, I get brain fog) haha. Sounds like you have a plan though. Baby here by now...;)