PDA

View Full Version : Rough Monday Morning

Sheep Farmer
February 23rd, 2015, 10:37 AM
Lori posted about how Murphy has visited her this morning, and I'm thinking I'm having a bit of a difficult Monday as well.

I have a ewe in labor (first-timer)... well, the problem is she is NOT in labor but she's had a waterbag hanging out for 24 hours now. I still see movement in her belly, but I'm starting to panic now. I don't have any Oxytocin on hand to give her, so I have a call in to the Vet to see if they can come out to check her or I can just stop by and pick up a dose of Oxytocin.

Ugh!

Why can't things just be SIMPLE!!! 102075

Sandy Navas
February 23rd, 2015, 10:43 AM
Sure hope your day improves and this young ewe turns out to be a wonderful mother.

MayinJerset
February 23rd, 2015, 10:44 AM
Oh, Hope you get the ewe help soon.

Midge
February 23rd, 2015, 10:49 AM
Oh dear, now there is a real Monday morning problem. I sure hope you can get the oxytocin to your ewe very soon and healthy lamb to follow. Let us know how things go, okay?

WendyI
February 23rd, 2015, 11:09 AM
awwwww...poor wee thing! Hope you can help her along. Good luck wee momma!

LRM
February 23rd, 2015, 11:35 AM
We have cows ready to deliver any day. I always worry about those first timers. We have had to assist sometimes. Usually all goes smoothly, but sometimes...
I hope your ewe delivers soon. I worry because we have high winds and very cold wind chill. Not great conditions for delivery. Luckily no snow and daytime temps should be high enough to prevent any frostbite or worse. Good luck!

Bubby
February 23rd, 2015, 11:48 AM
I hope things work out for your ewe.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 23rd, 2015, 01:09 PM
Wow! That's a problem us city folk never have! Good luck with your new mom and babe!

klgls
February 23rd, 2015, 01:22 PM
Ewe have a problem - poor little one. Hope everything works out okay.

Sheep Farmer
February 23rd, 2015, 01:26 PM
I took my ewe to the Vet.
She was only dilated at 2.
Babies may already be dead.
They're doing an emergency C-section now.

I'm hoping at least one baby is alive. ...

Jean Sewing Machine
February 23rd, 2015, 01:44 PM

That is sad.

toggpine
February 23rd, 2015, 01:49 PM
They are amazingly resilient. I can understand though. I've been in your muck boots before, & it's not fun. On the positive side, we re-bred the doe we had to have a C-section on and she kidded normally. Ask the vet about it. In our case, the kids' front legs were interlocked and we couldn't figure out the pretzel twist to get hem undone. If the ewe just has a narrow pelvic opening, not a good candidate for re-breeding.

Kidding starts for us this week. (Dang! I had better get the supplies together and down in the barn today!) The new babies are what spring is all about.
Prayers for a successful delivery!

Sandy Navas
February 23rd, 2015, 02:16 PM

Breaking my heart.

Midge
February 23rd, 2015, 02:22 PM
So sad about your ewe. Not a great start for lambing, is it? Hope the other ewes are doing well.

Sheep Farmer
February 23rd, 2015, 02:35 PM
Called the Vet.
C-section went well; ewe is up and standing.
She had twins; both were dead.

I will bring her home and milk her to freeze her colostrum and milk.
At least another lamb could possibly use it.

SuzyQue
February 23rd, 2015, 02:51 PM
Oh, so sorry for your losses. Not a great day to start the week, nor the spring season.

RockinLou
February 23rd, 2015, 03:28 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about the lambs. I'm glad to hear she is okay.

Midge
February 23rd, 2015, 04:09 PM
Sorry about the lambs. But with milking her, at least something positive can come from this situation.

TRLSRL72
February 23rd, 2015, 04:25 PM
Sorry for your loss, so sad.

MRoy
February 23rd, 2015, 04:51 PM
I'm sorry about your lambs, but glad the ewe is okay. We've had three calves born during this snowy, freezing weather with more to come. So far they are doing okay. Neighbor brought a newborn calf to our shop to warm him up this morning.

lapeoples
February 23rd, 2015, 05:22 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry. We sometimes run into issues like that with the horses. It's never easy when you're not able to save the babies.

Momama
February 23rd, 2015, 05:44 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry, mama needs little extra love.

Grandma G
February 23rd, 2015, 06:43 PM
So sorry to hear this. Glad the ewe will be okay but so sad about the twins. I'm sure you will be more than happy to get this miserable Monday behind you.

Sylvia H
February 23rd, 2015, 06:48 PM
I'm sorry you lost the lambs. Raising livestock is not for the faint of heart.

toggpine
February 23rd, 2015, 08:56 PM
Sorry to hear about the lambs. Smart thinking about the colostrum! It's always better if you can feed some from your own farm if there are complications with other lambings.

Prayers for a better lambing season and for your ewe to mend quickly.

Simply Quilting
February 23rd, 2015, 10:00 PM
Sorry to hear about the lambs. Glad that the ewe seems to be doing okay.

Kat 2
February 23rd, 2015, 11:43 PM
Sorry about the twins and glad mommy is up and moving. Hope tomorrow is a better day for all.

stationarymom
February 24th, 2015, 02:01 AM
I am so sorry for the loss of the lambs.I hope the ewe does fine from here.

bscuzz
February 24th, 2015, 02:53 AM
Oh, so sad to loose the babies, hope the mom will be fine. Are twins typical, must have been tough for the ewe, it being her first birthing - poor mommy!

dlsnaples
February 24th, 2015, 03:28 AM
I'm so sorry about the twins. Will the ewe be able to deliver vaginally next time? Was the vet able to determine the reason she could not deliver them? How long will you milk her ---- i didn't know you could do that with sheep. How long can you keep the milk in the freezer?
I am a city girl, but did have a neutered, male Nubian goat while I was in college. I worked as a vet tech. Long story.......
I have been a lactation consultant and old labor nurse for about 38 years. I like to learn about all mammals pregnancy and lactating history.

dlsnaples
February 25th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Binding Belle, how are you coping today? Will Wednesday be a better day for you?
Sending warm thoughts and prayers to you and for your little mamma. Prayers that the rest of your deliveries this sprig will be easy.

WendyI
February 25th, 2015, 03:07 PM
So sad to read that the babies did not survive. :'( Hope the ewe (and you) are recovering. (((HUGS))) xox

Sheep Farmer
February 25th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Mom is doing okay for now. She won't be out of the woods for another few days for sure. I just need to keep any infection from taking control (because the babies had died inside her). I'm giving her Penicillin injections 2x daily and every 48 hrs I'm giving her pain meds. I've also got her favorite food there with her (alfalfa) but right now she's just not eating too much. She will be able to have babies again with no problems. Just for some reason this time around she did not dilate enough to pass the babies, and they died.

On a brighter note, I did have a ewe deliver triplets this morning. ALL BOYS! Most of my ewes have triplets and some have twins and I have two that have large singles. One of my gals had quads last year! I usually leave all the babies with the mom unless I notice one not thriving as well as the others. I also sometimes pull one of the babies and get it started on a bottle and sell it as a bottle baby since there is a good demand here for bottle babies.

Here's mom with her three babies:

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s626/VonTassenFarm/Sheep/2015%20Lambing%20Season/20150225_132514_zps36vrutpr.jpg

Amy R
February 26th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Awwwww they are adorable. The circle of life!

Sheep Farmer
February 26th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Thank you.
I'm heading up to the barn now to see if we have any new babies this morning. http://yoursmiles.org/ssmile/fun/s0252.gif

WendyI
February 26th, 2015, 10:29 AM
awwwww....so much fun!!

What exactly do you mean by bottle babies? People keep them as pets?

Sheep Farmer
February 26th, 2015, 03:52 PM
@ Wendy - Yes, people like to feed the lambs bottles and keep them as pets. One lady loves her bottle baby so much that at 9 months old she was still giving it a bottle. The lamb would be out with the rest of her sheep, and she would call her bottle baby and it would come RUNNING as fast as it could for that bottle. I have a grown ewe who was a bottle baby and she's already had babies two years in a row; but if she sees me with a bottle in my hand, she'll try to suck from it.

"Serious" sheep owners will just give the bottle for 30-45 days and then it's weaned. They don't have much time to feed lambs with bottles. I have a bucket with six nipples that I use to feed any bottle babies I may keep, but I will still go out with a couple of bottles in my pockets just cuz it's so much fun to bottle feed the little lambs. http://yoursmiles.org/ssmile/fun/s0266.gif

Jean Sewing Machine
February 26th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Those little ones are so precious!