PDA

View Full Version : Monday - I fee like singing!

Blondie
February 23rd, 2015, 08:50 AM

Happy Monday, Folksies!

Sandy heat wave must've made it to NC quickly, because it was close to 50 yesterday and the snow started melting! One week of being housebound with a husband and a Mom is almost too much joy for this blonde. I am positively giddy with the thought of a quiet moment all to myself. Sure, school is on a two hour delay but in just a little while, when I see the headlights pulling out of our drive, I promised myself to do some old fashioned flat footing all the way to the coffee pot. I have a few hours before I have to carry Mom for a totally unnecessary (IMHO) MRI of her back. But even that foolish waste of my time and talent cannot quench the spirit inside of me that is silently screaming FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HISTORY I LOVE MONDAY!

Now if I could just officially end winter today for everyone who needs sunshine and warmth, trust me - I would. Snow should only be for those who want to ski - and only in those designate areas. Everyone else should have snow on weekends, be gone by Monday. Oh, wait. Everyone everywhere should have at least ONE snow day from work and school. After that it is boring. Unless you have me in the mix. Oh yeah, I'm a live wire.

Blessings, prayers hugs and loads of smiles for all.

Ginny B
February 23rd, 2015, 08:58 AM
Good Morning Blondie. You sure are chipper on this Monday morning. It's Monday and it's not snowing! First time in a number of weeks. We are even above freezing. I have already gotten one load of laundry washed and heading to the dryer. I want to head to my sewing room for a bit before leaving for work too so I'd better get off this couch and get moving.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Monday.

Bubby
February 23rd, 2015, 09:27 AM
Morning, I just came in from the deep freeze outside our front door. Dottie will not go potty outside this morning. There's no way we can take our trash to the end of our driveway for pick-up this morning. I doubt even the trash guy in his big truck can navigate our road. Everything is glare ice. I'm so sick of this. I think I have frostbite on my hand. If so, it's not serious, but it's a nuisance and looks ugly until the skin peels.

The plumber is supposed to work on our frozen water pipes at the apartments this morning. One of our tenants is moving out and I can't get there to inspect the apartment, which is understandable except to the irate tenant.

Jeff is improving steadily. He tried to sleep on his side last night but it was too painful. He's getting around better and the swelling in his left leg is getting much better and he is finally able to bend his knee. He's got cabin fever.

I hope everyone is faring better than we are with this awful weather. I truly have compassion on the folks on the east coast where they have no place to move the snow to. I'm happy to hear some of you are warming up. I haven't turned on the weather yet this morning but I have a feeling it will be more of the same. Jeff and I decided we are going to add on to our house and put in a fireplace. The propane man can't get down our road to bring us gas. We have less than 25% and in a few more days we will be in real trouble if we can't get gas.

Sorry everyone for my gloomy message. This winter is really getting me down.

Granny Judy
February 23rd, 2015, 09:32 AM
I gotta say Monday isn't too bad here.. tho we are in the single digits.... at least it is above zero! AND the SUN is SHINNING..

Am looking at my stash for border fabric so I can put this Hunter star quilt on the finished list. Might take me another month, but that Is what quilting is all about. I am enjoying every step along the way.. Just remember to slow down, take a deep breathe and imagine a finish that is perfect... (at least a finish)

I have the bad habit of wanting to start another top,, but holding off and looking at my progress instead of my WANTS.

MRoy
February 23rd, 2015, 09:40 AM
Good morning! It's really cold here and heading for single digits but the snow/rain has stopped. That's a plus! Blondie, enjoy your alone time today. It's nice to be with family and it's nice to be alone sometimes too.

Barb, you can vent here anytime. You've had so much to deal with this winter. I hope Spring comes soon in Missouri and things get better. Jeff's improving and that's great!

This is usually sit-n-sew day, but with it getting colder all day and parking lots already slippery, I'm going to stay home and sew. I'm putting the first border on my Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt. I cut the strips at 2 1/2", then after sewing on two strips, I remembered she usually uses 2" strips. It would've been a good idea to check first. I'll be trimming 1/2" off the border today.

MayinJerset
February 23rd, 2015, 10:17 AM
Great to see Blondie posting and so happy that she's not snow bound any longer.

Big 44 degrees yesterday melted latest snow fall and made DH very happy, all he had to do was park our cars in the street so driveway snow would melt. DS#2 and DIL were over for lunch and they helped clear out some boxes in the garage, we had just few Keeps but most everything was boxed for Good Will. Keeps were mostly photo frames, DIL took a few and DH kept some for his photography prints. Best of all was that the Christmas dishes I'm giving to their oldest DD were safely packed and they took them home to hold for their DD and her DH until they move. 102071 102072 Later I'll add some old sheet sets and towels and we'll make a big drop off at Good Will this afternoon. Found some framed embroidered pieces and one was made my DS#1's DW many years ago - going to send it to their oldest DD in CA as DIL passed away a year and a half ago.

Time for a coffee refill, so join me for a cup as

WendyI
February 23rd, 2015, 11:13 AM
Liam was disappointed that he had to go to school today...they were predicting -39 temps but they must have changed their minds because the schools close if it's to reach -35 at any point during the day. I slept in this morning. Thought I turned my alarm on last night but I turned it off instead. uhg. Work is really dragging lately and I'm anxious to get back to my normal routine...they are "weaning" me back into things and "managing" me with kid gloves which is a bit frustrating. I know I need some of that but it's a bit much. OH well...at least they are being understanding.

Hope you all have a great day! (((HUGS))) xox

LRM
February 23rd, 2015, 11:32 AM
It is windy here! We get fierce east winds -- 50 mph or so-- that come out of the canyons and put us in the deep freeze. The winds are relentless. Semis overturn on the freeway, small sheds collapse. We get it nearly every winter a couple of times and it is just so tiring. Every time it happens I think of those who lived through the dust bowl years and think how grateful I am for a secure home and central heating! What sacrifices out ancestors made to settle this great land.

I didn't do any quilting or sewing this weekend. I had lots of work and I spent Saturday with my DD taking a cooking class. It was a great, fun day.

Today won't be so fun at work. We do peer review every 5 years. Employees are supposed to present themselves and their accomplishments according to clear criteria. One of my colleagues did a very poor job -- even going so far as to state that she didn't have time to do it. She is often a martyr about things and this puts us in a very bad position because it is like she dared the committee (most of us with the same rank, but fewer years of experience) to rate her as "unsatisfactory". I've worried about this all weekend. I like her, but she didn't do what is required. Sigh.

Carrie J
February 23rd, 2015, 12:54 PM
Good Morning all! :D Heavy sleet woke me up at 6 a.m., did I get up? Nooooo, snuggled back into the covers and slept til 9, lol! If we could control the weather, it's be like the Bahamas everyday! We've finally gotten "white on the ground", even though it's ice and sleet. NE Texas has shut down, LOL! We're such weenies when it comes to Winter precip. Though it's going to be nasty, I plan on diving into the sewing. Hugs and Blessings to all, and especially those that need them.......................coffee time! :D

RockinLou
February 23rd, 2015, 01:03 PM
A pretty good day here... I'm wishing I could come home from work earlier and spend more time with my kids... But isn't that the wish of every working mom?? Sigh...

This evening I sat with my daughter and we read the directions for two steps of a pattern and she attached a ruffle to a placket for a nightgown for her doll. We agreed to take it slow and do it one piece at a time, little pieces all week. It's driving me crazy not to sit down and stitch it together!! Self control....

I did finish binding a wall hanging, and I do have a pile of math papers to take a look at....

Simply Quilting
February 23rd, 2015, 01:07 PM
Good Morning! It is cold here this morning. The up and down weather sure plays havoc with my migraines. I made a quick trip to the chiropractor this morning and took some pain meds. I have to drive one of the children to the dentist in the city for two fillings and a mouth guard adjustment today. Then if I get to feeling like it, a quick stop at Target to pick up a couple of clear boxes for fabric.

Barb, I hope that the propane man can get to you soon. {{{Hugs}}} for everything that you are going through. Glad to hear Jeff is doing better.

Blondie, glad that you can get out and about.

Louise, you have a co-worker that would not be fun to work with. I have a friend who has to work with a lady who decides that if she doesn't want you there she will find a way to get you fired. She ended up getting the people above her fired and took over their job.

Have a wonderful day everyone :)

ceiliam
February 23rd, 2015, 01:27 PM
Good morning, dang it snowed here, we have been having weather in the 60s and 70s, oh well i am not complaining just surprised. We have not had it like most of you. Bubby i hope the tennant issues get resolved soon. Blondie, always look foreward to your happy posts. Louise with your decription of winds , I know exactly what area you live in. Yes you do get some terrible winds. Got one quilt top quilted over the weekend, started another one. Need to get up and moving, or move the dog who is to big to be lap dog, but but doesn't let that stop him. Have a safe, warm wonderful day everyone

auntiemern
February 23rd, 2015, 03:22 PM
Good day all. I have no idea about the temps outside. My butt only goes outside if it is absolutely necessary, which it hasn't been since Thursday when went to see Bubby's program at school, and to take my van to our mechanic. I got 3 of the tops that were given to me at the retreat bordered, sandwiched, quilted and bound this weekend. Will work on another today.
This week will be busy. Tomorrow Gabe has 2 MRI's of his head and spine to find out what is going on with the fluid build up at the base of his head, then consult with neurosurgeon. Wed is oldest DGD's 12th birthday.She wants to go to O'Charley's for her b'day dinner. Fri have to take DD to doc to have her cast taken off, and hopefully a walking cast or boot. Will also schedule her surgery for the other foot. Never a dull moment in Granny Land. Hugs and blessings to all. Prayers for those in need.

buckeyequilter
February 23rd, 2015, 03:46 PM
Good afternoon.....

It's a bit cold here today, 8 here right now. I have a doctor's appointment in a little bit, blood pressure check and med refills.

I am working on 2 quilts - go as far as I can on one. I've had to order fabric for both of them, some of the fabric came today so I'm cutting that now. I'm waiting on the pattern to get here for the 3rd one and then will have to order some fabric for it. They are all going to the same family. When I get them all finished then they'll get them.

I need to clean house......uggh. I want to open the windows but not at 8!! I am so ready for spring.

Well need to get some things done before I have to take off.

Have a wonderful day!