PDA

View Full Version : Stinky

brook
February 21st, 2015, 03:16 AM
Every year I have to deal with skunks going into my backyard, and then they seem to spray right by my windows. It gets old real fast. So, a few years ago I found a company that makes animal repellents. The repellent works with the animals natural fears, which are the smells of predators. Skunks have a fear of foxes, so their repellent is granulated fox urine. (Go ahead and laugh. I think its funny too) But, it does work.

Today, when I received my order, I didn't remember what I had ordered, so I opened the box, inside, by my front door. At first I thought some dirt had gotten inside the package, then a lot of dirt, then when I lifted the bottle out of the box, the lid was completely off and the fox was everywhere! :icon_mooooh: It smelled sooooooooo bad! It's not something you can toss in a trash can because wherever it is, it stinks. I put it in a trash can to put it into a trash can, now both of them stink. How to get it off the floor, you ask. If you vacuum the vacuum will stink. Sweeping it gets it up, but the hidden granule disappear in cracks and crevasses. Finishing it up with a damp cloth wasn't such a good idea either (nothin' like getting rid of wet pee.) :P
So, I'm hoping that I've gotten it all up, but I guess I'll find out with my next visitor. :0

Bjvarizona
February 21st, 2015, 03:20 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry for your problem! Good luck. I have no words of wisdom for you but lots of words of sympathy,

MayinJerset
February 21st, 2015, 03:42 AM
Sorry about that Foxy Lady, maybe the company you purchased it from would have a solution to rid you of the stink.

bubba
February 21st, 2015, 04:46 AM
You really should have prefaced this with the line.............

PEE BEFORE READING!!!

I may have wet myself!

Vonnie
February 21st, 2015, 05:03 AM
I don't know if this will work on fox pee, but it worked on my dog's pee. In his later years he could not control his bladder. So I would soak up what I could with an old towel, then pour hot water mixed with white vinegar over the carpet, get it really saturated, then lay old towels over it and walk on the towels. I usually repeated this process. It took care of the pee smell.

You could probably put water and vinegar into a spray bottle and spray the area then wipe it up. Don't know if it would damage wood floors though.

I also used the vinegar in the washer when washing those old towels.

Hope you find a solution.

Aussiejan
February 21st, 2015, 05:24 AM
You really should have prefaced this with the line.............

PEE BEFORE READING!!!

I may have wet myself!

You should have done the same for your post BUBBA! - I almost chocked laughing! Thank goodness I had been to the loo (as we call it)! ;)

rebeccas-sewing
February 21st, 2015, 05:53 AM
Yuck! What a dilemma!

Bubby
February 21st, 2015, 09:36 AM
I feel for you. I know how awful concentrated animal urine can smell. Jeff uses some of those 'scents' when he hunts. I think white vinegar is your best bet. I know there are things that smell worse than skunk spray...sorry you are going through this.

quiltingtrish
February 21st, 2015, 09:43 AM
Oh dear! I hope it doesn't now attract more foxes looking for love!

Amy R
February 21st, 2015, 12:26 PM
There's a mixture online, something about baking soda, peroxide and dish soap... i tried it once and it helped a lot.

Good luck with the skunks, that's a stinky situation!

shirleyknot
February 21st, 2015, 12:52 PM
Use the products made to remove pet urine, found at most pet supply stores. Cleans it right up. And next time, just ask the male members of the family to leave a little "water" around the yard now and then. Cheaper, and still works. Especially if they eat quite a bit of meat. It's that "predator" smell you want.

JCY
February 21st, 2015, 12:53 PM
We have skunks in our neighborhood, too. (In the city) I hate that odor! We've had 2 incidents this spring of skunk odor. If it happens in the night, it will wake me up & I have to shut the BR window. A few yrs. ago, one got under our next door neighbor's deck & sprayed. Their house reeked for ages. I could even smell the odor on her clothing. It was awful. I think he dipped some rags in ammonia & spread them around the perimeter of the deck. He also worked to close up any openings where a critter could get under the deck. Now if I just knew how to get rid of the neighborhood rabbits! We've had a lone rabbit inn our yard for almost a year. It dug under & lives under our shed. Recently another rabbit has been visiting. Hmmm. I wonder if it's mating season. If any little rabbits show up, I'll have to hire some mitigation to get rid of them. There are rabbits all over our neighborhood. I can tolerate one, but won't put up with a whole family!

kimsophia
February 21st, 2015, 01:44 PM
Every year I have to deal with skunks going into my backyard, and then they seem to spray right by my windows. It gets old real fast. So, a few years ago I found a company that makes animal repellents. The repellent works with the animals natural fears, which are the smells of predators. Skunks have a fear of foxes, so their repellent is granulated fox urine. (Go ahead and laugh. I think its funny too) But, it does work.

Today, when I received my order, I didn't remember what I had ordered, so I opened the box, inside, by my front door. At first I thought some dirt had gotten inside the package, then a lot of dirt, then when I lifted the bottle out of the box, the lid was completely off and the fox was everywhere! :icon_mooooh: It smelled sooooooooo bad! It's not something you can toss in a trash can because wherever it is, it stinks. I put it in a trash can to put it into a trash can, now both of them stink. How to get it off the floor, you ask. If you vacuum the vacuum will stink. Sweeping it gets it up, but the hidden granule disappear in cracks and crevasses. Finishing it up with a damp cloth wasn't such a good idea either (nothin' like getting rid of wet pee.) :P
So, I'm hoping that I've gotten it all up, but I guess I'll find out with my next visitor. :0

You poor thing. It sounds like something that would happen to me...

But I must ask, did you put any out in the back yard?

Midge
February 21st, 2015, 01:59 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of this trouble. It must be horrible. I agree with shirleyknot that going to a pet supply store is your best bet for a first step. You must get one of the enzyme solutions that digests the proteins in the animal urine and therefore eliminates it. Baking soda and vinegar will definitely not be effective on male fox urine. Nature's Miracle brand cleaner is a good place to start. Definitely do not waste your money on supermarket "pet stain off" sprays. You need a good soaking down into the cracks. Hope you don't get water damage. Do you have or do any of your neighbors have a black light? Think teens for their room decor. Borrow it and shine it on the floor before you start. The dried urine should show up with the black light. There is also an odor eliminator that comes in a bag you can hang from a doorknob. It will help until the enzyme solution does it's job. Can't think of what they are called right now. I'll post it if I think of it. Hope this works.

Carlie Wolf
February 21st, 2015, 07:07 PM
You might want to try a product called Nilodor or something like that name. It's sold in a lot of hardware stores. I would think something like Lowes might have it too. It doesn't just "cover" the odor it neutralizes it. It takes care of all kinds of nasty odors and is quite good. I've used it over the years when nothing else will work. i.e. male cat spray, skunk spray etc.

dwil23
February 21st, 2015, 09:04 PM
I would try white vinegar first, too. If that doesn't owrk, there are several other products that are good, but pricey. One is SCOE-X, I think? Order from Amazon. That stands for Super Concentrated Odor Eliminator.

Good luck~ at least the skunks won't come to visit!

bubba
February 21st, 2015, 10:45 PM
Believe it or not, our youngest daughter loves the smell (stink) of skunks!!! If we smell it when we are out driving, we sometimes call her and she gets in her car to go over for a quick whiff!!

mpattylou
February 22nd, 2015, 02:56 AM
I had luck getting rid of skunks under a shed by throwing a few moth balls under the shed. I might have overdone it a bit in my haste to get rid of them....put a whole box of them under the shed and all summer whenever I would mow around the shed I could smell mothballs. No skunks tho! I would try one at a time and see how many it took to do the job.