PDA

View Full Version : My mailbox is frozen!

RiverMomm
February 18th, 2015, 12:13 PM
My mail is delivered to a community mailbox. It's only a couple houses away from me. I don't go everyday because it's darn cold to walk there. Hey,don't laugh, that is a long walk when the temperatures are below zero (that would be -18C for Canadians), not even counting the wind chill! So, I walked to the mailbox yesterday and there was a key in the little box which means there is a package waiting for me in a bigger mailbox. Ohhhh, happy dance. But when I tried to open the bigger mailbox . . . nothing. The lock was frozen. OMG, I have goodies waiting for me and they are only an inch away and I can't get them. I walked back home, wrote a half English/half really bad French note on some cardboard so the note would stand up by itself and left it in my little mailbox.

Wish me luck today. Hopefully the mailman will see my note and somehow get my package to me. Move it to a different box or fix the one it's in. Maybe bring the package to me?

WendyI
February 18th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Oh how disappointing!! Hope it unfreezes soon! You can try spraying some WD40 on the lock...that sometimes unfreezes it.

Swedish leo
February 18th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Ouch that is cold weather!

And so frustrating to have a package and not being able to get it!

Hope the postman can fix it soon!

bubba
February 18th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Squirt the lock with some rubbing alcohol.....

Midge
February 18th, 2015, 02:51 PM
What Wendy said. I have used the WD40 method with good results. However, when your kitty finds the removable thin nozzle, it's so long to that solution. Another solution is to buy car lock de-icer, which comes in a little canister, again with a thin nozzle you can press into the opening. This stuff works, too. The old-fashioned emergency approach is to use a cigarette lighter to heat up your key. Quickly stick that into the lock. Works, as long as there is enough key length to hang onto and not burn your fingers. WD40 or lock de-icers are better because they force the water out of the lock mechanism.

Cathy F
February 18th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Hope you get that open soon! To know you have a package so close at hand and not be able to get is just so frustrating!

YellowCockatiel
February 18th, 2015, 03:10 PM
So close and yet, so far away. Hopping you get your package soon.

Liberty
February 18th, 2015, 03:24 PM
I remember when I learned to drive my dad got my a lock de-icer (my first car didn't have the fancy remote).

Maybe they still have those somewhere?

Good luck!

Monique
February 18th, 2015, 04:44 PM
I hope you can get to the package soon. If not call the post office directly.