PDA

View Full Version : The Big Chill for Night Owls continues

MayinJerset
February 18th, 2015, 02:09 AM
even though we're not 30 something's like the movie characters. No plans to go anywhere unless it is very necessary as this cold spell has been very bad for my arthritis, I can hardly lift my right wing so no flying to my tree tonight.
What have you been doing during the Big Chill? Are the roads in your area passable, schools and workplaces open as usual?

pcbatiks
February 18th, 2015, 02:14 AM
May....sure hope your wing feels better soon. I hope you'll get lots of sunshine and no more snow!

We have azaleas starting to bloom already.....even though it's chilly for us. Seasonal allergies are already starting too!

jjkaiser
February 18th, 2015, 02:30 AM
It is freezing here in Wisconsin the winds are sharp and nasty. The high temp for Thurs is supposed to be 2 below zero. You have flowers blooming??? I'll be right over lol. The roads here are ok, and only about 6" of snow right now. Schools might close bc of cold, lots of kids take the bus. Me I am hibernating in my house, working on 2 quilts and a fresh novel from the library if I need a diversion.
Plenty of wood for the fireplace and a few bottles of wine in the pantry if needed. Also have plenty of coffee and dog food. DH has loaded up the DVR with old movies for us. Only thing missing is chocolate. Stay warm everyone!

Judy, USMC
February 18th, 2015, 03:19 AM
jjkaiser ~ I have some chocolate I'll trade for wine!

While I'm here in the Cincinnati area I miss being home in NC where we may get an inch of snow every-other year. Got about 5 inches yesterday but the neighbor snow-blowed (is that a word?!?) the driveway and they salted and plowed the roads so they are clear now. Southbound I-75 was a mess with travel down to 5 mph in areas. School was closed Tuesday and will be again on Wednesday because the snow is going to start again in a few hours.

Also hear there were record setting lows in the area ... the max here was 7F I believe. I refuse to fly to a tree branch that has snow on it so I'll be snug under the covers tonight dreaming of my Carolina snow-less home.

stationarymom
February 18th, 2015, 03:33 AM
May take care of that wing,it's to cold for the tree tonight anyway.I finally went out for dinner tonight I just couldn't stand being in and it wasn't snowing for once.All of our roads are one lane if that and the sidewalks I don't know when they might be visible again.

Sylvia H
February 18th, 2015, 03:42 AM
Hoot! I am joining you tonight. I fell asleep on the sofa early, and now I am awake and can't go to sleep. I don't like that, as it messes up the day, but it happens more often than not. I moved furniture around in the living room to have better access to the baseboard heater. Finally, it is warm in my house. For the last two days, everything I touched in the living room was cold.

I think I am starting to get cabin fever. I will take any excuse to get out of the house right now! Fortunately, not enough snow to create problems on our roads. I went out for a few groceries today, and will try to find a few errands to do tomorrow as well.

bubba
February 18th, 2015, 03:47 AM
I'm so sorry you guys are still being hit.....doesn't look lake an end is in sight yet. It actually hit 60 today and I was driving around town with my sunroof open! I even got my car washed.

I purchased a new wallet pattern today and got it cut out and all ready to sew tomorrow. It's going to match my Bonnie Bucket bag I made last week....I can't wait! I didn't have enough of the pink I used for the lining though, so I'm using a soft green instead

Here's hoping for the great thaw!!

toggpine
February 18th, 2015, 04:12 AM
Yeah Pat, I wasn't going to bring up our weather here. I thought it might adding insult to injury!

I went to Best Buy today to find a connecting cord from the PC to the projector. Hmmm. They aren't universal. Who does that? These products were certainly NOT designed by a woman. All phone jacks are a like, all charging plugs should be the same, all projector connector ports should be the same. I mean really! Although, I'd also make all of the rotary blades interchangeable too.

Em spent her gift certificates to Build-A-Bear on some new clothes for her current bear. She thought about making a new animal, and I really thought she'd go for the elephant. (It was in her budget.) We talked and since Chocolate Bear spends a lot of time in the toy bin, it might be wiser to buy some new duds for Sparkle Bear (her constant companion) instead. I may see if I can make a skirt for the bear from some scrap fabric I have around here. I tried a nightie last Christmas and flubbed up the neck hole, but she doesn't care. It matches her PJs and that is what matters.

I'm going out to check on all of the critters as the coyotes were really pitching a fit earlier. Things seem much quieter now.

Sweet dreams and warm hugs for everyone!
Cathy

bubba
February 18th, 2015, 04:59 AM
I just want to know.....is it really so cold that your eyeballs hurt??

Sheena
February 18th, 2015, 05:40 AM
Sorry to hear about your poor wing. I hope it's not affecting your quilting abilities :(

It's very mild here in England. We've only had one day of snow and I'd like a bit more so send some over!

We've got some crocuses blooming in the garden, but nextdoor has more :(

Tina W
February 18th, 2015, 09:09 AM
It's been to cold to go out. This cold is not good for my knees so I have been cutting fabric to work on a quilt I am making for my niece who will be graduating from high school this year. The quilt name is Little Dancer and I am cutting a lot of half hexes and triangles. I have gotten a lot cut in between shoveling out after our storms. Everyone have a great day and stay warm.:icon_wave:

Bubby
February 18th, 2015, 09:12 AM
I shoveled a LOT of snow yesterday and put ice melt on the sidewalk...then it snowed again all afternoon. While walking Dottie yesterday she jerked me off my feet and I landed in the snow on my right hip. At the time I thought I was perfectly fine but this morning I'm pretty sore.

May, I hope you feel better soon. This cold damp weather is murder if you have arthritis. So far I just have it in my right hand (index finger), which used to be my quilting finger when I was a hand quilter.

Stay warm Everyone.

MayinJerset
February 18th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Barb my index finger is the worst as it also is my computer finger, darn finger has a nerve messing with my two fun pastimes, quilting and here at the forum.

kimsophia
February 18th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Hello Night Owls,

I would have been with you but an odd thing happened-I fell asleep around 9:30 pm and didn't wake up until my husband was moving about at 6 am! Good grief, is this what the rest of the world lives like? Well this morning I'm up rearranging my "fabric board" which is laid flat because I haven't sewn a sleeve to the batting to hang it on a curtain rod. And it is looking very well, and I'm quite excited. I increased the pattern size to Queen and I wasn't quite sure how that would affect my fabric needs. I flat out never considered that making it longer would require more rows...lol It looks like it needs two more rows and an extra column of width of 8 1/2 inch blocks. I do have enough fabric using some extra of what I've got started plus one new row made out of a hoarded Kaffe orange millefiori pattern.

https://www.fabric.com/buy/ep-492/kaffe-fassett-millefiore-tomato

I'm quite pleased with how it looks and am doing better at fabric cutting accuracy (although I made a little nick to my wrist) :O I even have a turning mat, I just wasn't using it and was bent crooked and cutting toward myself...duh.

"The Full Monty" is on so I need to watch for the gnome window scene...