PDA

View Full Version : It's Tuesday and another bitter cold day here

Monique
February 17th, 2015, 09:15 AM
SPRING where are you? It can't come soon enough for me. Another bitter cold day here and I HAVE to go out. I am working today. Another little post office right in the home. Three hours closed this afternoon. So quilting and watching movies today and getting paid to do it. I love my job.

I have a baby quilt sandwiched and ready to go. I was going to machine quilt it but decided to hand quilt instead.

Where is Blondie? Did I miss one of her posts? I hope all is well!

Have a great day friends. Stay WARM and SAFE is all I ask.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 17th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Good morning! Monique, I don't envy your numbers when it comes to cold! We're just at 20, that's cold enough for me!

I've spent a lot of time in my sewing studio this past weekend, making lots of bags and pouches! Lots of zippers! I'm having a blast!

My long arm is getting an upgrade and will be delivered on Sunday. I need to clean up the area where she lives! It is also my costume storage area. That will take some magic to put that mess in order! My job for the rest of the week! Yuck!

Hope you all have a good day! Keep warm, or for our members south of the equator, keep cool!

RockinLou
February 17th, 2015, 09:33 AM
BRR... I had the air conditioning on last night to cool off the bedrooms for the kids, the weather turned overnight and we woke up to freezing rain that has since turned to snow. It's getting cold and is going to ice over for sure.

I hope our car gets repaired tomorrow (not starting, but riddled with other electrical issues so I'm not optimistic) and I can take DD to her ice skating lesson. If I can't I might need to hire a taxi, and I really don't want to deal with that!!

Today is mine and DHs wedding anniversary , but it has come and gone with no fanfare, as is the norm. I was nice to myself though and did not bring any evening work home. I hope to stitch down the binding on a wall hanging in front of the TV.

I might even treat myself to some decaf coffee.... Because if I have any regular Ill never sleep tonight!!

Sonic
February 17th, 2015, 09:37 AM
-7F waiting for the bus with kiddo this morning....

Bubby
February 17th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Morning Everyone, It's abut 15 degrees here with 6-7 inches of snow and ice below that. We're all so ready for Spring, but realistically that doesn't happen here until late March or April. I would be happy if I could get to the mailbox, but it's a quarter mile down the road. Maybe our neighbor will bring ours when he goes for his. All our appointments for this week have been cancelled. I can't risk taking Jeff out on ice. He still uses the walker to get around. I will be glad when he gets off the strong meds.

No sewing going on here. Maybe I can clean the sewing room today. I made a pot of beef stew last night and we will have the leftovers for lunch today, so that will free up some time for me. I think I'll make a pot of chili for dinner with some beer bread or yeast rolls.

I hope everyone enduring this nasty weather is warm and safe. Bob, glad your plumbing mystery was solved. I have my fingers crossed for the water lines at the apartments.

Wishing everyone a good day with a special hug for Kensington. Barb

buckeyequilter
February 17th, 2015, 10:17 AM

I AM SO OVER WINTER!!!!

Good morning, how is everyone today! It is 1 here, right now. Today I'm back at work and I thought the roads would be decent....just why would I think that?

Well enough whining about something I can do nothing about.

I ordered the EQ 7 program on Saturday and it was delivered yesterday, so I played with it :) Designed a few quilts, two of them I know I'll make.

Have a wonderful day!!!

irishrn
February 17th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Good morning all! Spring would look very good right now!! It's 25 degrees and we had snow last night, the first snow since last February!! I let Casey out and he looked like Bambi on a frozen lake! But he managed to get in a pee and came right back in!
My DH's DGD is visiting from NY. She can't believe the snow followed her here! I'm wondering if her flight back to NY tomorrow is going to happen??? Roads are a mess!!!
Hope all are safe and warm!!

Amy R
February 17th, 2015, 10:35 AM
good morning, I woke up to 0 degrees today. Wooo! And too early of course. Little one needs to learn to sleep in longer.

Last night we had grands biscuits with crunchy fried chicken tenders MMMM. I finally tried it with some strawberry jam and wow was that good!! I now understand why my southern friends put jam/jelly on their chicken biscuits.

We finally had some snow yesterday, which makes this cold a little more worth it (for me ) LOL. Not sure we'll be able to play in it much with the temps so cold but maybe just a few min.

Trying to sew and keep up with everything at the house. Going to make Uncle Eddy's paprika chicken tonight, and will pay attention to the amounts for the cookbook entry!
Hope everyone is hanging in there. Have a great day!!

sewluvit
February 17th, 2015, 10:36 AM
I am also completely fed up with winter. The only redeeming factor is that I can enjoy preparing good meals and focus on my knitting and sewing!

Sandy Navas
February 17th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Any professional declutterers around here?

Here's to warm happy thoughts and safe journeys!!

MayinJerset
February 17th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Snowing again since last night and freezing too, so what else is new? Glad I got to my doctor appointment yesterday and we food shopped so I'll be indoors today. Poor DH will go out for a bit to clear the cars and driveway - maybe much younger next door neighbors on either side of us will give him a hand with their huge snow blowers but probably not. Also two 20 something young men next door on our right but I've never seen them do any snow shoveling or even grass cutting in the summer.

I'll work on some doll quilts and also gather fabrics for a quilt for DS#1's MIL who is going through chemo. Her name is Rose so I was thinking of using rose/pink colored fabrics.

Got a cortisone shot in each knee yesterday, sure hope they decrease the inflammation in my left knee and crunching in both knees. Doc said cold weather does affect arthritis, no answer from him when I asked if problems decrease once it gets warmer out.

Cathy F
February 17th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Morning all,
Woke up to more snow and another cold day, 20 degrees out there. Will be staying in for sure!
Got some household chores to do today, but after that plan on heading up to the sewing room. I'm in "rug mat madness" mode. I've been making one of every design that came on my disc. Will have to clean up again when I'm finished as I've been pulling fabric out of containers like crazy!
Yesterday made a quick run to the grocery store and was surprised to see only two checkouts open. A lady ahead of me asked why there was only two open since they both had long lines. The checker told her they closed all the other ones by the doors cause it was too cold for anyone to work there. That was a first for here.
Stay warm and be safe if you have to be out in this.

LRM
February 17th, 2015, 11:03 AM

My daughter could seriously be a professional organizer. My sister has hired her in the past. I'm excited because she is coming home for a few days next month and I have a list of organizing tasks. She can't wait (which is weird if you ask me), but I'll take whatever help I can get. She lives in Bloomington, IN. Maybe she needs to take a road trip :)

I started a Summer in the Park quilt yesterday. I got 7 strip sets cut and decided I would just make it scrappy since that only made 7 blocks with 14 "left overs". I'll post pics when I have it a little further along. When I started getting everything prepped yesterday I first did a search of the forum and found all kinds of good advice! This is a treasure trove of knowledge and help.

Stay warm and safe. We are still having our very weird warm-ish weather. Today should be around 50 and I'm not complaining. Here is the view from my walk yesterday. The ground should be covered in snow, the water should be frozen, and those mountains should be packed with this summer's water. Instead, we are in for a very dry year.

RockinLou
February 17th, 2015, 11:08 AM
My sister was a professional organizer, but she stopped working for the business because the owner was too disorganized!! LOL!

I would LOVE to be a professional organizer.... Instead, I just follow Peter Walsh on Facebook. He is now on the Rachel Ray show, but I don't watch that, I watched him on Clean Sweep in the 90s.

ravelim
February 17th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Morning everyone. Going to try to finish that quilting on my football quilt. One thing about waiting to quilt the top. I can see I've become much better at piecing than I was. That's progress. Lol

It's cold but we live in Iowa.

I did my first hand sewing binding yesterday. Looks pretty good but my arthritic hands won't let me do that often.

Dog and DH are back from walk so better look like I'm doing something.

Prayers for all and hugs too.

ceiliam
February 17th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Sandy, when you find the professional declutter send them this way. Hope the weather warms up soon for you all . Really mild weather here this year, however this is desert country and usually lows are 30s, no I am not rubbing it in. Have spent many cold winters most of my 63 years in cold weather. Going to try and finish the rows on button up quilt today. Also hoping to try once again to get the tension working right on my Tira, mutter mutter. I am really frustrated on it I never have this problem may just have to take it in.. just don't get it wish me luck. Hope everyone has a safe warm and great day.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 17th, 2015, 11:30 AM

Send them my way once you find them, I need to clean my longarm's space it's full of so much excess junk!

Navy Wife
February 17th, 2015, 11:54 AM
It's warm and nice in FL today, but not so good in TN. Oldest son is without power since yesterday. They had an ice storm yesterday and last night. Those things are wicked. At least the temps are holding around 30 until tonight. If conditions improve enough for them to travel, I think they will pack up and go to our house for a few days. They can stay warm enough at their house, but the 2 cats can be a problem. One is a lively kitten and won't stay put anywhere!

I think I'll get out and do some shopping today. The rain is supposed to come tomorrow and I can work on the sailboats again.

Grandma Nan
February 17th, 2015, 11:57 AM
So I am getting really nervous about the weather cause this cold has lasted so long. I am totally slipping into Canadian behaviour and looking at pictures of snow and bad driving conditions and checking the temperatures. Yikes!!! We got out just before the frigid stuff started and stupid me- I'm thinking oh well, by the time we come home it will be over. Nope, nadda, not gonna happen- we have to come home next week and I think it is still gonna be realllllly bone chillin' freezin' cold. Oh well, I've been through 61 of these winters and will survive this one too.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

SuzyQue
February 17th, 2015, 12:14 PM
I would love to make the rounds and clean those sewing rooms and even entire houses, but alas............the snow and cold will keep me at home. There is nothing I enjoy more than taking messes and and making order.................I know, I am one sick puppy!

Off to scrub the wood floor, once again before the carpet comes to cover it all up! That room will be clean! Over halfway through the turquoise scraps, so might finish that today, too. Who knows what will come to interfere with my plans!

WendyI
February 17th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Yep...another very cold day here but the sun has been shining for three days and boy I don't care how cold it is if I can see the sun! It's been so grey lately.

Having a lot of anxiety today and work is busy so that's all I have to say. Sending hugs and love to everyone who needs it today...hope Bondie is doing okay. (((HUGS))) xoxo

MayinJerset
February 17th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Somehow our next door neighbor must have read my earlier post hoping that one of our neighbors would help DH clear the latest inches of snow as Mike next door has already cleared our driveway and the walk to our front door, I'm going to bake him some cookies or biscotti.

Carrie J
February 17th, 2015, 02:40 PM
A late Good Morning y'all! I won't even mention our weather, I might get slapped for it! Cold to us, would be Spring temps for everyone else!

Sandy, if you do find an organizer, could ya send them my way as well, I hate wrapping fabric on comic boards (or my version of them)!
Leah, Geesh that's COLD!
Shirley, c'mon bluebirds!
Sunny out at least today, So that's motivation enough for me to get some chores done, and fabric cut for the next project. The sunshine makes up for this weird winter weather we're all wanting to disappear. And it can't happen soon enough! Hugs n Blessings to all, and especially those that need them! :D

Midge
February 17th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Turning out to be a sunny day and hey - big news - the thermometer is all the way up to 11 degrees!! Yay to that!! I can deal with the cold better when it is sunny. OK bad news this morning. My sewing machine power cord was ahem, chewed through. Yes. And I know who the culprit is. Had my friend over for Sunday night dinner and she brought her dog, who my dog loves to play with. Tiny teeth marks and a broken cord. Dang. Just ordered one online because locally it has to be ordered. I am not happy about this. At all. I still have my old machine in the closet, but I would have to buy some oil for it. Guess I will work on something else today.

Just saw on the news that hundreds of thousands of people throughout the south still have no power today. Bet they are chilly. So things could be worse, I guess. Maybe that's why we have silence from Blondie?

Simply Quilting
February 17th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Good Morning! We have made it to the city and back for a dentist check up for the kiddos. One had no cavities, one had two cavities (which will be taken care of next week) and one ended up with a tooth pulled do to an abscess which she never said her mouth hurt at all. And I think just appeared in the last two days.

I talked to Mom this morning and she has been up for a very short walk. She sounded very tired. Today there are a couple of tests to run to make sure everything is okay from the surgery. So she should get to come home in the next day or two.

I actually like to organize. However, there have been days when it seems like the children undo faster than I can keep it organized. Which is okay because I know that one of these days, I will organize and it will stay that way because they will be all grownup and moved out.

MRoy
February 17th, 2015, 03:07 PM
It's a balmy 20 degrees here now after being 0 this morning. We have 9+ inches of snow but where the road has been scraped, the sun is actually melting the snow. But, we're supposed to get up to 2" of snow on top of this tomorrow and way below zero nighttime temps. DH used the skid steer loader to clear the driveways. He pushed the snow into piles in the yard so it looks like a K-mart parking lot now. I told him I'll be mowing around snow piles in April.

toggpine
February 17th, 2015, 03:33 PM
I am NOT going to talk about our weather.

Em & I have some errands to run today. One for me and then we are going to see if there are any new stuffed friends she wants to add to her collection. She has a gift card for Build-A-Bear so that will be a treat for her. AFTER we go to Best Buy and try to find a cord for connecting the laptop to a projector for my presentation this weekend.

Perhaps I'll be able to get back to the never ending sewing project this evening.

Sandy Navas
February 17th, 2015, 03:33 PM
I would love to make the rounds and clean those sewing rooms and even entire houses, but alas............the snow and cold will keep me at home. There is nothing I enjoy more than taking messes and and making order.................I know, I am one sick puppy!

Off to scrub the wood floor, once again before the carpet comes to cover it all up! That room will be clean! Over halfway through the turquoise scraps, so might finish that today, too. Who knows what will come to interfere with my plans!

Oh, how I used to love cleaning and straightening up and organizing and putting things away and making the whole house shine and smell pretty and look fantastic. Alas, after moving so many times, collecting stuff here and there, combining households, and going nuts with matching decor, switching hobbies, and AGING . . .

I actually consider myself very organized. However, deciding what to keep and what to sell and what to trash and what to donate is mind-boggling for me right now. I told Al during lunch that I didn't know why it was so difficult to get rid of things that had been stored away someplace safe and not seen, touched, or even thought of for several years. But there are some sentimental attachments and that's where I'm having trouble drawing the line.

I have weaknesses. True confessions, right? I took three (yes, three) boxes of tablets and other paper out of the bookcases behind my desk. Ever since I was a kid I've had a fascination with paper. I save tablets, buy desk calendars and journals and yet have a very difficult time of marring the finish. And you've seen pictures of my sewing room so you know that 'hoarding' went on to my fabric acquisition, right?

If we could just reverse the hands on the clock . . .

Anyone collect Dutch Houses, sheep, kerosene lanterns????

Sonic
February 17th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Sheep?
What kind of sheep?

pcbatiks
February 17th, 2015, 06:34 PM
Oh, how I used to love cleaning and straightening up and organizing and putting things away and making the whole house shine and smell pretty and look fantastic. Alas, after moving so many times, collecting stuff here and there, combining households, and going nuts with matching decor, switching hobbies, and AGING . . .

I actually consider myself very organized. However, deciding what to keep and what to sell and what to trash and what to donate is mind-boggling for me right now. I told Al during lunch that I didn't know why it was so difficult to get rid of things that had been stored away someplace safe and not seen, touched, or even thought of for several years. But there are some sentimental attachments and that's where I'm having trouble drawing the line.

I have weaknesses. True confessions, right? I took three (yes, three) boxes of tablets and other paper out of the bookcases behind my desk. Ever since I was a kid I've had a fascination with paper. I save tablets, buy desk calendars and journals and yet have a very difficult time of marring the finish. And you've seen pictures of my sewing room so you know that 'hoarding' went on to my fabric acquisition, right?

If we could just reverse the hands on the clock . . .

Anyone collect Dutch Houses, sheep, kerosene lanterns????

I here that Sandy Navas collects sheep! :icon_rofl: :D Sorry I couldn't help myself!

Sandy Navas
February 17th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Sheep?
What kind of sheep?

Stuffed toys, ceramic, artsy craftsy dust collectors . . . unusual . . . large, small, cute . . .

Sandy Navas
February 17th, 2015, 06:50 PM
I here that Sandy Navas collects sheep! :icon_rofl: :D Sorry I couldn't help myself!

The sheep are going to have to find a new home . . . BAAAAAAADD~

Sonic
February 17th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Hmmm...bet they are much cheaper to feed than the flock of Katahdins I've been considering...
:icon_giggle:

Carrie J
February 17th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Sandy raising hand here on the kerosene, oil lanterns/lamps, HUGE weak spot there for me! Sheeps, um no, collected them awhile back, but they were for eating!!! LOL! Leah, definitely!!! :D

Sandy Navas
February 17th, 2015, 10:57 PM
The sheep I used to raise did eat a bunch - but I loved them. Dad sold my herd when I left home. But I loved the 4-legged ones better than this collection that needs a home.

Sonic
February 18th, 2015, 12:48 AM
Aww, sounds like they need to go live on a farm. :D