PDA

View Full Version : Pelsing, Pelsnicklers - update

Sandy Navas
September 12th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Found this information: How many different ways can you spell "Belschnickle"?

Belschnickle is the PA German version of Santa Claus. Through the years, as people have handed down stories of this gift giver - who has sweets and nuts for good children and a switch on the bottom for the naughty children - the name and spelling has changed to reflect local dialect and pronunciation. The following is a partial list of spellings we've seen.

How do YOU spell Belschnickle?

Belsnickle
Bellschniggle (Philadelphia Gazette, 1827)
Belsh Nickel (Annals of Philadelphia, 1830)
Belschnikkle (1839, Columbia, PA /1840, York, PA)
Peltznikle
Belsnickling
Bell Sneekling (1853, Harrisburg, PA)
Belschnicol
Peltz Nickle (1861, York, PA)
Bell Schnickel
Pelze Nicol
Pelznickle
Peltznickle
Pelz-Nickel
Belznickel
Bells-Nickle
Bell-Snickle
Beltzsnickle
Belsnickler/Pelsnickler (Shenandoah Valley, VA)
Pelse
Belsnicklin
Pelsing
Bells-Snickle
Pelze Nicol (“fur-clad Nicholas”)

National Christmas Center's version:

Belschnickle at National Christmas Center

Monique
September 12th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Sandy, were you having a non-quilting day? Who would have thunk it, so many variations.

Bubby
September 12th, 2011, 11:41 AM
What are we talking about????

sally
September 12th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Is is Christmas already....I am not READY!
Signed: Santa Claus

KiltedQuilter
September 12th, 2011, 01:06 PM
:icon_eek: WHO said the "C"* word?? Hmmm...:icon_stunned:

*Christmas

Sandy Navas
September 12th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Okay, okay, okay. Just checking to see who reads what I post. Hee hee!!

Before I left for our weekend trip I mentioned a book I was reading written by Emilie Richards "Wedding Ring" - it's a book about a woman who quilts and she's from Virginia. In the book they mentioned pelsing and I had never heard of it. So today I did some research and that's what I came up with.

Besides, Blondie gave me a sneak peek at her gourd work . . . and it's Christmasy!!

HandsOffItsMine
September 12th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Something else I've learned! Pelsing...I'd never heard of it. I'm a Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet girl. We celebrate Dec. 5th as well as XMas in our house. Always fun, but it's way too early for this discussion. Shame on you Sandy! ; )

Sandy Navas
September 12th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Something else I've learned! Pelsing...I'd never heard of it. I'm a Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet girl. We celebrate Dec. 5th as well as XMas in our house. Always fun, but it's way too early for this discussion. Shame on you Sandy! ; )

Ruby, Ruby, Ruby - put on your red slippers and get ready. Christmas will be here before you know it!!!!!! Gotta get those presents made early so you aren't rushing. By the way, aren't you supposed to be out buying fabric this afternoon????????????????

Blondie
September 12th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Love you Sandy. And it is never ever too early in my house for Christmas. Hubs is as bad as Clark Griswold. He is always foaming at the mouth in anticipation. We put our tree up on Thanksgiving and say, The Heck with the Bird! Bring out the Tree! And we leave it up far too long for my taste, but, it my hubby's most favorite time of the year. We rarely spend loads of money - just have lots of food, friends over most every weekend of the month, and every DVD of A Christmas Carol known to mankind. Plus all the other fun and sentimental movies.

janluna
September 12th, 2011, 11:49 PM
We always put our tree up on Thanksgiving while the turkey roasted away. And we think Christmas should be every day of the year. For the best of reasons. Even so, we never have enough time and still run around like chickens in december. :icon_mooooh:

HandsOffItsMine
September 13th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Ruby, Ruby, Ruby - put on your red slippers and get ready. Christmas will be here before you know it!!!!!! Gotta get those presents made early so you aren't rushing. By the way, aren't you supposed to be out buying fabric this afternoon????????????????

Miss Sandy...OMG I am in Hawaii and Japanese fabric on the brain over load. I've never seen so many rolled bolts of fabrics, hundreds and hundres standing, plus hundreds laying four/five high on tables. Of course I had a certain flower and scale in mind, no one to guide me in the right direction, found something, got it home then realized...it's not 100% cotton. So I will make my blocks with what I bought on Etsy. But if we do an Oriental or Bird theme swap, I have my fabric selection ready.

Their every day price for 100% cotton runs between $4 and 7. For any big projects I would buy a 1/2 yard and wash/dry it to test it. Sure it all comes from overseas, even though I'm sure that all the Moda, RJS, etc comes from there too. They also had some hand dyed batiks that were lovely too. But my eyes and brain were on overload.

I'm still waiting for my order from MSQC with my rotary cutter, the fabric, ruler, and mat are ready. Looks like we all need to make 26 blocks, think I figured out what block I'm going to make. Guess I can still change my mind 'till the cutter gets here. LOL

XMAS...Can't I just go to Vons, stand in front of the Gift Card wall and pick out a bunch, stick them in christmas card envelopes and mail...is that not enough Christmas Spirit?

janluna
September 13th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Wish I was with you. It sounds like quilter heaven! Lucky, lucky girl. Hugs, Jan L.

HandsOffItsMine
September 13th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Wish you were with me too Jan! Could have used the help! Too much for me. Put me at Lowe's in the Kitchen Cabinet and Flooring, I'm fine but this was too much. ; )

Did you see my posting abou the girls rooms the other day? Want to create custom graphics for them.

Sandy Navas
September 13th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Ruby must have felt like I did the day I was able to walk into the shop in Minnesota that sells everything related to fabric (does anyone know the name of that place?) . . . What's it called? Minnesota Fabric Outlet???????

patticakes
September 13th, 2011, 11:20 AM
My first thought is that it was a law firm...LOL! What kind of trouble is Sandy in now???
We always get a real tree from the little stand that goes up in front of the strip mall so our tree does not go up until right before Christmas. That, plus the fact we have a small townhouse, means it's not up too soon or for very long. I dream of the day I can have several trees with different theme decorations on each.
Now I am in the mood for the holidays!!