PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing advice?

clementj33
February 16th, 2015, 02:29 PM
I know this is waaaaaaayyyyyyyy off topic here, but I'm looking for all input I can get before breaking down and calling a plumber! I have 2 faucets that are not running water on the hot side. In the kitchen it is a single handle faucet, and everything is fine when running cold water. Rotate it to the hot side, and the water turns off completely. In the bathroom, the faucet has 2 handles. The cold one works fine. Turn on the hot, no water period. It worked fine yesterday around 2 pm, but by 8 pm there was nothing.

My hot water heater is on the second floor, was purchased last October, and all of the faucets/showers work fine upstairs. The 2 not working are on the main level. I'm in a condo built on a slab, no attic, and I'm an interior unit. It has been below 10F in Michigan for the last week, and the past couple of nights it has gotten down to -12F. I didn't think freezing was possible because all of the pipes to my unit are in interior walls, but maybe I'm wrong? I haven't been able to talk to my neighbors yet to see if they're having problems.

I know this has absolutely zero to do with quilting, or anything fun actually, but any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! :0

FabStripper
February 16th, 2015, 02:34 PM
This might help How to Fix a Water Faucet That Won't Go to Hot | Home Guides | SF Gate (http://homeguides.sfgate.com/fix-water-faucet-wont-hot-43508.html)
It might be frozen pipes since you have two sinks and the temp was so low. Sorry this is happening. When it gets so cold I turn the faucets all on a slow drip and leave the cabinet doors open by the sinks.

Vickie1965
February 16th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Oh boy, I feel for you! I too leave my water dripping. We set records here -26 degrees here this morning, and that's not including the wind chill! Here's what I came across. I was looking for help for my son, who currently has the same problem you are. Thawing Frozen Pipes - HowStuffWorks (http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/plumbing/how-to-fix-pipes3.htm)

BobW
February 16th, 2015, 03:57 PM
I'm having plumbing issues also. Water keeps appearing in my kitchen (on the floor). It seems to be coming out from under the stove, but the landlord is here and has cut a hole in the wall and it is dusty/dry in the wall. So not sure where the water is coming from. I've got water I don't know where it is coming from and you can't get water where it should be. Maybe if we mixed up our problems we'd be ok on a whole. LOL

Yours does sound like a frozen pipes. I have heard of pipes in inside walls freezing, but it is rare. I would open the cabinet doors and if you have a couple of small space heaters, put them running pointed under the counter. I would also turn the faucet on (not all the way) so that as the ice melts it can let the pressure off the pipes.

K. McEuen
February 16th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Honestly I am thinking it might be something other than frozen pipes since it is the hot water, which comes in and through your water heater, that isn't running. It just seems strange that the cold works and the hot doesn't.

bubba
February 16th, 2015, 04:25 PM
I would not call a plumber until it thaws. Ours froze one winter and they were all interior. We just lugged water from the bathroom to the kitchen for a week which was a pain. Of course, if they are not working after the great thaw, then I would call a plumber!

clementj33
February 16th, 2015, 07:20 PM
I've got water I don't know where it is coming from and you can't get water where it should be. Maybe if we mixed up our problems we'd be ok on a whole. LOL.

If only we could do that! I hope they figure out where the leak is coming from soon.

Thanks for all of the tips. I ended up calling the company that installed the hot water heater hoping maybe they screwed up something. They're very nice and sent a technician out at no charge to take a look. Best he can figure is the line that brings the hot water downstairs is frozen somewhere between the hot water heater and where it splits to go to the bathroom and the kitchen. Everything under the sinks faucets looks fine, but the wall behind the bathroom sink is freezing cold. He suggested leaving the faucets on with a slow drip like FabStripper and Vickie do. At least this only cost me a phone call and a cup of coffee rather than the $100 I likely would have had to pay a plumber!

I'm now off to borrow a space heater like Bob suggested. I guess its just a waiting game now, but I'm a Leo so waiting stinks! Its supposed to get up to the downright balmy temperature of 30 by the weekend, so we'll see what happens. The biggest worry now will be if the line cracks.

BobW
February 16th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Well they found my water problem. There was a pipe in the wall on the third floor that had separated. It was in his kitchen. They cut a hole in the wall behind my stove and put a fan there to dry the area out. They will come back and patch it tomorrow. Yea!

Vickie1965
February 16th, 2015, 09:48 PM
My sons pipe froze and split under the sink area. At least it's not in the wall, just an aggravation for now.

Heather
February 17th, 2015, 06:54 AM
This exact thing just happened to our kitchen faucet too, and in our case it's because there is a filter on the hot water under the sink that plugged up. The cold water line doesn't have a filter. I hope you get unfrozen soon!

Monique
February 17th, 2015, 09:10 AM
A hair dryer works wonders too. That is what I use to thaw the pipes out with. Good luck.

clementj33
February 17th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Well, the faucet in the bathroom now gets hot water, but not in the kitchen. Makes doing dishes a pain, but not much I can do about it. I'm a little hopeful it will thaw by the weekend.

Glad they found the problem and could fix it, Bob!