PDA

View Full Version : It is a FREEZING Monday morning

Monique
February 16th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Yes folks I mean COLD! -27C to your -17F. There is no way I am heading outside today. I do have to work tomorrow.

Had a pretty quiet weekend. Dinner with friends on Saturday and then yesterday we were supposed to have dinner and then horse racing after that. We got there early and played the slots for a while, RACES were cancelled. Too cold for the horses. We still had a lovely dinner. I drove home as I was the DD (not daily deal).

Today I will try and get the baby quilt sandwiched that I need for the 28th of this month. Nothing like procrastinating is there. I finally finished the darn rooster weather vane I was working on. I am glad to have that finished and I hope the fellow likes what I did with it. Pictures posted in Show and Tell if you want to have a gander.

That's it for me. Stay warm everyone and have a great day.

MayinJerset
February 16th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Freezing cold here also 101306but will have to go out later this morning for doctor's appointment, followed errands and food shopping. Stayed in all day yesterday and continued to destash my repro and boys fabrics. Keeping anything I think I WILL use that is at least 1/4 of a yard, making as many doll quilts as I can from the leftovers and rest will go to scrap bag for guild's stash.

Needed a neutral background fabric and didn't feel like climbing the stairs to my sewing room. Since DH was going upstairs I asked him to grab me some cream or beige fabric from my fabric cabinet. He picked a so so fabric but it is surprising what you can do with fabric that wouldn't normally be my first choice. So far I have two 20" x 20" boys tops, backs and binding set aside and enough cut for 2 girl tops with backing and binding. Feels good to get fabrics under control while making the little quilts for the Head Start kids.

Came back to add photo of DS#3 and dog Stella in snow in front of his house, he's 6 ft tall and snow is up to his armpits!101307

Midge
February 16th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Good morning Monique. A fellow sufferer here. We set one new cold record last night with - 5F and this morning it is already -9F with a -22F windchill. It was breathtaking out there when I took the dog out. Like you, I am staying home today and I'll probably do some cooking and baking. Had a neighbor over for dinner last night and she made me laugh because I'd baked bread and the house was so fragrant, she couldn't wait to dig in. So we did, and it was grand, even though the main course was a humble mushroom and lentil soup. The wine helped a bit, lol. We watched the Walking Dead. So that was my big evening. Will sew some blocks together that have been laid out and organized into rows to my satisfaction. Not sure what I'll work on if more time is left after that. Have a good one people.

Doloris
February 16th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Got up at 6: 00 to -4* low last night was - 7*. We are not supposed to be above the teens all week. Cut out 2 pro totes yesterday, so I have lots to keep me busy for a few days.
This weather can warm up any time now!!! Spring where are you???

Bubby
February 16th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Morning Everyone,

We got an arctic blast last night and it's continuing this morning and is supposed to go on throughout the week. What perfect weather to stay indoors and sew! I will have to cancel Jeff's doctor appointment for today until further notice. This was just a follow-up with his primary care doctor. Not even sure why this is needed.

Here it is February and I haven't really sewn anything all this year so far. Talk about being in a slump and being too busy with other things. I have plenty of projects lined up for when I can jump back into the fun...Orange Peel Quilt, Spool Quilt, Lady of the Lake, etc. I have oodles of small projects in my mind to make: tots, zippered bags, hotpads and a few table runners. I may sit down and make a JRR2 quilt just to use my new machine for an hour or so. I have four baby quilts to make for friends who are expecting their first grandbabies and a benefit quilt to finish.

May, what a great idea for using up your stash. Doll quilts are so cute and big girls love them, too!

Wishing everyone here a safe and warm day with hugs....

Simply Quilting
February 16th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Good Morning! Thankfully, it is not that cold here. But most of the state (not us) is under a winter storm warning. It has been very busy the last several days. Highlights include Dad's car alternator going out of sewing class during rush hour traffic in the city. Thankfully, I was still in the city and the auto parts store had one and helped him put it on. Friday was a last minute call to work then a birthday party. Saturday the children were bowling all morning. Then after lunch, we made a last minute quick trip to the city as the local pharmacy didn't have any of dh's med (they had the script for a week but insurance is saying that dh takes a different amount - the amount that they are saying would be an overdose) So the pharmacy had to call around and the only store that had some in stock was in the city. So off we ran before they closed. On the plus side, I did get to go shopping at Joann. And because it was late when we got home, dh decided to order dinner in and fix the Valentine Dinner then on Sunday. Yesterday was a day that I just didn't feel good so I ended up in bed all day. Still not feeling the greatest today so not sure what my plans are for the day.

Please pray for my Mom today as she is headed in for her third surgery in less than a year. This time the surgery is for something different than before. However, the recovery time is a lot longer.

Have a wonderful and safe Monday everyone :)

Monique
February 16th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Good Morning! Thankfully, it is not that cold here. But most of the state (not us) is under a winter storm warning. It has been very busy the last several days. Highlights include Dad's car alternator going out of sewing class during rush hour traffic in the city. Thankfully, I was still in the city and the auto parts store had one and helped him put it on. Friday was a last minute call to work then a birthday party. Saturday the children were bowling all morning. Then after lunch, we made a last minute quick trip to the city as the local pharmacy didn't have any of dh's med (they had the script for a week but insurance is saying that dh takes a different amount - the amount that they are saying would be an overdose) So the pharmacy had to call around and the only store that had some in stock was in the city. So off we ran before they closed. On the plus side, I did get to go shopping at Joann. And because it was late when we got home, dh decided to order dinner in and fix the Valentine Dinner then on Sunday. Yesterday was a day that I just didn't feel good so I ended up in bed all day. Still not feeling the greatest today so not sure what my plans are for the day.

Please pray for my Mom today as she is headed in for her third surgery in less than a year. This time the surgery is for something different than before. However, the recovery time is a lot longer.

Have a wonderful and safe Monday everyone :)

I pray that all will go well with this surgery and the recovery time isn't as long as you anticipate.

WendyI
February 16th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Well it's a stat holiday here ... Family Day... Kind of sad for me with my own family having fallen apart. Going to try and do some packing today. Joined two divorce support groups...first has a meeting Tuesday night and the second on Thursday. Really looking forward to the support and maybe making a friend or two. It's minus 37 with the windchill here today so I think today will just be packing and laundry....nothing open today anyway so may as well stay warm.

((((Hugs)))) to all who need them xox

Grandma Nan
February 16th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Please don't hate me but I am so thankful that we chose this month to leave Kingston and go on holidays. The kind of weather you are all describing is the same as we would be getting in Kingston and I just can't bear it. Very thankful to be escaping some of it.

The kids are visiting us this week so it has been a lively house for a couple of days. We all went to Showcase on Citrus yesterday and that was a lot of fun. I wanted the kids to see something "real" like the orange groves and a cattle ranch and to appreciate how many natural resources and native species of birds, bugs, animals, etc. there are and that Florida is not just a land of make believe. O-f course they are doing some of the kid things too- off to Sea World today and then Legoland some other day this week.

Right now papa and I are having a nice quiet morning-we can't and don't want to do the parks. I am happy to sew today and get dinner ready for everyone.

I usually buy my fabrics either from M* or LQS. I often find myself torn on what is better for me to do. I do like to support local small businesses but when the price difference is so much (even paying shipping) I have to try and balance things out. I would say it probably ends up 70 M* and 30 LQS. I just dont have that kind of money to throw around where I can afford to pay $49 for a jelly roll just to support the LQS. Anyway all that to say I know that not everyone here likes Joann but I did find some amazing deals on some pretty nice fabric for the President's Day sale. How do the rest of you balance/justify whether to purchase local or buy online.

LynneLeavell
February 16th, 2015, 11:07 AM
We have 35 degree weather here. We dodged the wintery weather, I was so looking forward to it as I have some major sewing that needs to be done. I think we are just suppose to have rain from lunch time to the rest of the day today. They closed schools in our area just as a precaution. The teacher still had to go in just not the students.

Everyone stay warm and if you can sew today, happy sewing.

buckeyequilter
February 16th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Good morning all.....heading out to my room...have a quilt calling my name.

Gotta go......my fabric is being delivered today:

Have a wonderful day!!!

shermur
February 16th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Morning, Quilty friends! We got freezing rain/sleet/snow; it started last night around 8 PM and is still going. I cannot get into my car and about fell twice! I think I'm staying in today, Halgal13 is off from school anyway.
I need to clean, but the sewing room is calling my name!

MRoy
February 16th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Good morning! It's snowing here in southern KY and the forecast says we may get over a foot of the white stuff today. I know that's not near what some places get, but it's a BIG snow for our area of hills, hollows, and winding country roads. It's the biggest snow we've had in many years. I've got a fire in the wood stove in the basement to help warm the floors. I don't know yet if I'll venture out to the sewing studio today. Happy Presidents' Day!

Carrie J
February 16th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Good Morning all! Headed for coffee, warming up and then sewing today......................currently this is the weather here:

YellowCockatiel
February 16th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Happy President's Day everyone! HD and I are both off work today. Even though it's cold (9 degrees) we are going to bundle up and take a hike. This weekend is the Great Backyard Bird Count. So my HD and I are going out to count birds. Yeah, I know, it's sounds crazy, but he's really into birds.

Still have to clean up the sewing area, still couldn't find the item that I put in 'that special place so that I don't lose it'.

Wishing everyone a good and safe day, stay warm. Saying a prayer for all who need them.

GrammaBabs
February 16th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Valentine Dance was canceled,,, gang came over for chit chat and drinks,,, in the SNOW... but we needed some social time... before the "blizzard" set in on Sunday.... Sun shining now,, DH just removed the snow around the dryer vents... and is pulling some snow off our corner section of roof on the back where the sunroom and house connect. It's been just about a daily event with the snow blower.. and I'm hoping that someday he will realize that i's OK to let the plowing happen as it does here, as it's part of our "service"! However, for him,, it's not "up to standard" and he has a point regarding the accidents, bumps and chips that happen when someone else is doing the work..... :) I'm pretty sure we are past the 80" mark for a total already and more coming Tuesday, then some again on Sunday.... but heck,,, they are only 1 to 3 inches... "piece of cake"....................Thank you God for keeping our power on!!!:)))

LRM
February 16th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Good morning! We have had the most mild winter and will pay for it this summer when there is no water. However, I do live in a desert, so what do you expect?

Yesterday I made a new doll and a little kitten stuffed animal for the doll. I have to admit, it is really cute! Today I'm going to make something with my beautiful Miss Kate jelly roll. I'm trying to decide between Sidewalk Chalk, Summer in the Park, Solstice by Quilting in the Rain, or some other quick use of jelly rolls and solids. I love the line and have been waiting to choose just the right pattern. I realized that any of these would be beautiful.

Stay warm and, if you are like me, enjoy a bonus day away from work.

Sheep Farmer
February 16th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Yep! What Myrna said.
It's snowing here in Kentucky!
I had to go out and feed the sheep.
I dressed warm enough, but there never seems to be enough warmth for my fingertips. Ugh!
I could not find one of the water hoses (buried under the snow), so I said 'screw it, they can eat the snow!'
So far I'm guessing we have about 6-8 inches out there and it's still lightly coming down.
Hubby even got up this morning to help me feed the sheep (and the dogs).
He's from Canada, so he's used to this stuff. 101316

Grama Debbie
February 16th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Was -13 when I got up this morning, -9 driving into work. Brr!

RFREE
February 16th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Its a whopping 19 degrees here near Paducah Ky. We are expecting 10-12" of snow. We haven't seen that much snow in years!!
I got out and caught my 2 ducks and put them in the chicken house. I swept off the back porch and the steps and my yorkie stepped off the step and sunk. All I could see was his head. That cracked me up.
Everybody stay warm and those of you who are lucky enough to be where it is warm.....(PLEASE SEND ME SOME SUNSHINE!!!)
I hate winter:(

SuzyQue
February 16th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Cold here and snow on the ground....about 4 inches. It is white and pretty, but the house seems chilly! We have finished the ceiling in the new guest room, painted 2 coats of white, put 2 coats of yellow on the walls, and 3 coats on the old, dry woodwork. I really hated to cover the wood grain, but the wood is in terrible shape and we have no plans to redo woodwork upstairs......at least not for now. The carpet should come this week sometime and new box springs next week. It seems to be moving along slowly, but it is a happy, bright, clean room now. I really need to get that bedspread/quilt on the long arm!!! I am currently working on my turquoise scraps......I am working in order of smallest sizes of mess. It is so addicting to see those 2 neatly organized boxes and it stirs me to continue. Stay in and stay warm, if you can today! Enjoy the white landscape if you have snow!

toggpine
February 16th, 2015, 03:03 PM
I am not going to tell you that it's supposed to be 60 here today. That would just be mean.

We are going to pay for it this summer too. We are missing 60% of our snow in the mountains, which is where our summer water supply comes from. Darn you El Nino!

I have some work to do on the computer and then I could go out and rip some more weeds out of the orchard. First things, first. I must get the presentation transferred to the new version of Office, or create an entirely new one. (I'm hoping the transfer works, as it will be so much faster!)

It's also mid-winter break, so I'll have a 'helper' at home all week. Oh dear.

You all have a good day and stay warm!
Hugs, Cathy

Sandy Navas
February 16th, 2015, 04:26 PM
Cold here and snow on the ground....about 4 inches. It is white and pretty, but the house seems chilly! We have finished the ceiling in the new guest room, painted 2 coats of white, put 2 coats of yellow on the walls, and 3 coats on the old, dry woodwork. I really hated to cover the wood grain, but the wood is in terrible shape and we have no plans to redo woodwork upstairs......at least not for now. The carpet should come this week sometime and new box springs next week. It seems to be moving along slowly, but it is a happy, bright, clean room now. I really need to get that bedspread/quilt on the long arm!!! I am currently working on my turquoise scraps......I am working in order of smallest sizes of mess. It is so addicting to see those 2 neatly organized boxes and it stirs me to continue. Stay in and stay warm, if you can today! Enjoy the white landscape if you have snow!

Do you have ANY spare energy you could zoom up here?

rebeccas-sewing
February 16th, 2015, 04:42 PM
It was 26F here in Baarn this morning when I walked with Joe to his office. Nothing compared to what many of you are experiencing. I can't even imagine what it must feel like to be in the minus 0 department. I finally have some mittens from REI that are super warm. Forget gloves. They really don't do the job. These are the first hand coverings I've had that actually keep my hands warm. My daughter, on the other hand, said it was near 90F in Orange County the other day. What's up with that? Definitely going to have major drought problems this summer.

ceiliam
February 16th, 2015, 05:16 PM
I am sorry you are all having such cold weather really mild winter here... so I will not tell you about the temp its supposed to be here lol. Took Petey to vet and walk . No sleep again last nite about 3 hours the nite before. am thinking I am going to go lay down . Have a wonderful day everyone Cecelia

Leah53
February 17th, 2015, 03:10 AM
Ice storm here in upstate South Carolina. I wouldn't have known we had a storm approaching had it not been for this.....

Bjvarizona
February 17th, 2015, 04:00 AM
I am not touting our Phoenix weather this winter because I'll want some sympathy this summer when it's 115 or more. We are not snow birds, we are full timers here in AZ. But we do have a daughter and family that live in the mountains about three hours away. I think we may spend some time up there. Or maybe Ireland with our other daughter.