PDA

View Full Version : i think he's trying to do me in!

bubba
February 16th, 2015, 03:14 AM
When MM took Oscar to the vet, she said he had fleas and told him how to treat it. I told him to have fun as I'm allergic to the soap. He bathed him this morning and then put the stuff on him. My eyes immediately started watering. My throat started hurting. My skin started itching. After dinner, I came in the bedroom to watch TV. Just went out to say hi and get a drink and I had almost cleared up. Nope....two minutes of wearing my slippers, which Yoda had been lying on, my symptoms are back and now I have hives on my legs!

I sure hope the fumes clear soon!

ceiliam
February 16th, 2015, 03:32 AM
Oh no, i amm so sorry

stationarymom
February 16th, 2015, 03:35 AM
I hope you feel better soon.

MomGram
February 16th, 2015, 03:40 AM
Ohhh no, I hope you feel better soon.

GuitarGramma
February 16th, 2015, 03:47 AM
Fleas! I hate 'em. But it sounds like the cure is worse than the bugs, literally!

Can you use one of those sites like Frontline to avoid fleas in the future?

In the meantime, I'm so sorry you're having such an awful reaction.

K. McEuen
February 16th, 2015, 04:03 AM
When we lived in Texas, fleas were terrible. I found a wonderful dip at the feed store that was citrus based. None of the nasty harsh stuff usually found in dip and the dogs smelled like oranges!

bubba
February 16th, 2015, 04:15 AM
The allergies are not from coming in contact with, it's from the fumes. Has to do with a severe reaction a few years back. You don't know what will do it till it does! I bathed them both a week ago and I think that's what has been wrong with me all week.

Sylvia H
February 16th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Fleas! I hate them! I haven't had them with the few dogs I have had, but I did have several outbreaks with cats. Did the vet say that if one dog has them, the other probably does as well? The only thing that worked for me (3 Xs!) was to put these smoke bombs in the house, one in every room. I got them at the veterinarian's. They not only killed the existing fleas, but the eggs as well. The cats and I had to leave the house for a few hours, too. "Herding cats" was no fun, since they didn't enjoy being in carriers for that amount of time, but it did the job. Those 'bombs' also killed every other insect in the house as well.

dlsnaples
February 16th, 2015, 06:12 AM
I feel your pain. I am so sorry that you have such a reaction. Do you react to propellants and other artificial scents?
At least the dog will be flea free......

Monique
February 16th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Feel better soon.

Midge
February 16th, 2015, 10:02 AM
So sorry to hear you are confined to one spot in the house. Hope this clears up soon. Are you also allergic to a preventive like Revolution? It works well for my dog, so far, at least, and it also prevents heart worm.

Gina
February 16th, 2015, 10:27 AM
I feel for you...We give our mini schnauzers a pill once a month called Comfortis. Most vets make you buy them in 3 month doses. They are around 20 bucks each. Our vet lets me buy just one every month for each dog. They have worked very well for Chief and Bo. I don't like frontline for dogs in the house. I tried it on them once and they ran around rubbing their backs on EVERYTHING trying to get that stuff off them!

WendyI
February 16th, 2015, 10:53 AM
That sounds awful. Advantage works really well also and no suffering for you....just a drop on the scruff of their necks for a few days and they are good for a while. You should def. check into preventatives. Hang in there!!

bubba
February 16th, 2015, 04:42 PM
The stuff he used was Sentry Guard Plus, which the vet recommended.

I never know what will cause me problems. This all started when I had a severe kidney infection and they gave me an IV and a prescription of Cipro. Within 24 hours I itched all over and my hands were killing me. When we were at the doctor the next morning, I was telling him about this and then I told him my throat hurt...not like a sore throat, but like it was bruised or something. Well, he looked in it and it was nearly swollen shut from anaphylactic shock! Turns out I am deadly allergic to Cipro!!

Then, I started having reactions to different cleaners and shampoos, etc. It got so bad my arms from my wrist to my pits and my legs from my ankles to you know where were covered in the worse rash I had ever seen on anyone! It lasted about three months and was miserable. I have been very VERY careful and really have not changed brands of things we use at all.

I have just been up a short time and sitting out with MM watching recorded shows and it's already bothering me again in just thirty minutes! I took a Benedryl and it knocked me out!!! Woke up itch free and I could breathe! Luckily we are going grocery shopping so we will be out of the house and away from them and that will help.

I'll just stay in the bedroom or sewing room the rest of the time.

Doloris
February 16th, 2015, 05:00 PM

what about Oscar going potty while MM is at work?? He has to be carried in and out. Can he give the dogs another bath in just warm water to help diminish the fumes

bscuzz
February 16th, 2015, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE I'll just stay in the bedroom or sewing room the rest of the time.[/QUOTE]

Pat, I'm sure if you make your confinement in the "sewing room" it will be more bearable!!! Just sit in there and 'yell out to MM when you need something . . . like a piece of See's candy or maybe a Canoli . . . and I'm sure he'll bring it in to you'.

Seriously, it sounds like poor Oscar has put you in a bit of a dilemma - but getting out for a while may be the best thing to do. Hopefully, the cure for Oscar has done it's job and he's 'flea free'! :icon_noob:

GuitarGramma
February 16th, 2015, 06:03 PM
I never know what will cause me problems. This all started when I had a severe kidney infection and they gave me an IV and a prescription of Cipro. Within 24 hours I itched all over and my hands were killing me. When we were at the doctor the next morning, I was telling him about this and then I told him my throat hurt...not like a sore throat, but like it was bruised or something. Well, he looked in it and it was nearly swollen shut from anaphylactic shock! Turns out I am deadly allergic to Cipro!!

You're not the first person I've known to have a bad reaction to Cipro. That stuff is harsh, and in your case deadly!

bubba
February 16th, 2015, 08:13 PM
It was the worse reaction the doctor had seen. The funny part is, as I was in and out of consciousness that day in urgent care, MM had the prescriptions filled and they gave him the sheets with the info and side effects of that drug. He never bothered to read it and never showed it to me until we came home from the appointment two days later! There were seven warning signs listed and I had FIVE of them!!! He felt pretty bad. I asked him why he never looked at it and he said he figured I would when I was feeling better......as I'm thinking, OR DEAD!!!

We just got home after being gone a couple hours and everything cleared up. I think we have been here 30 minutes, my voice is gone again, nose is plugged, eyes are itchy and MM is grumbling that he can't smell anything.........

Grandma G
February 16th, 2015, 08:27 PM

Then, I started having reactions to different cleaners and shampoos, etc. It got so bad my arms from my wrist to my pits and my legs from my ankles to you know where were covered in the worse rash I had ever seen on anyone! It lasted about three months and was miserable. I have been very VERY careful and really have not changed brands of things we use at all.

I have just been up a short time and sitting out with MM watching recorded shows and it's already bothering me again in just thirty minutes! I took a Benedryl and it knocked me out!!! Woke up itch free and I could breathe! Luckily we are going grocery shopping so we will be out of the house and away from them and that will help.

Thank God you aren't allergic to the dyes in fabric!!!!!!!! Yipes!!

Bjvarizona
February 17th, 2015, 03:27 AM
Is Oscar worth all of this? I like B's idea, just hole up in the sewing room and ask for your version of a Canoli!

bubba
February 17th, 2015, 03:27 AM
Oh, it's not just Oscar!! He put it on Yoda too!

dlsnaples
February 17th, 2015, 04:06 AM
How are you feeling today? Sounds like your immune system took a hit when you had that reaction to Cipro. How long ago did that occur? Please be careful, I enjoy reading your comments.

bubba
February 17th, 2015, 04:24 AM
It was a couple years ago, but ever since, cleaning products, or their fumes do me in. I've never had this flea shampoo/treatment bother me before. We have used it in the past and it did nothing to me. My throat is still real sore today and my nose and eyes are all gunky, but I'll be fine. I'm sure it will clear up before we have to do it again in a month!!!

Heather
February 17th, 2015, 07:02 AM
I don't know if it would bother you, but Dawn dish soap will get rid of fleas, too. Allergies like you have are nothing to mess around with, hope you feel better soon.

bubba
February 17th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Thank you Heather!!! Did not know that about Dawn!! That is the dish soap we always use because I'm afraid to change to anything else!!! We will try that this next time!

dlsnaples
February 18th, 2015, 03:32 AM
I react to most everything now. Long story......
We use vinegar, baking soda and of all things ---- rubbing alcohol to clean. I use Dawn mixed with water and vinegar to wash our Pomeranian. I rub it in, let it sit for about 2 minutes and then rinse. It kills the fleas almost instantly. The vinegar also acts like a detangler so his hair is silky soft.
Best of luck to you with the allergic reactions. Are you working with an allergist or immunologist to maximize your health?

bubba
February 18th, 2015, 03:43 AM
If it happened often, I sure would be!!! This has not happened in a couple years now, but I recognize it like last time. I did what they told me to last time and that helped a lot. I've stayed away from them all day and it's a lot better. When I did carry Oscar down the stairs to go outside, I put on rubber gloves so I didn't touch him at all and held my breath all the way down!

maxwellthecat
February 18th, 2015, 03:51 AM
I hope you feel better. When DH takes my dogs for their grooming, they used to make the dogs smell nice. DH had to tell her to stop because, I was having the same reaction as you with the flea stuff. I feel for you, it is an awful feeling.