PDA

View Full Version : Quilting mnemonics helped me earn my PMP certification exam

lmanna
February 14th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Last week I took a very intensive/stressful/draining/crazy PMP exam prep class. On day one we had to have a bunch of stuff memorized and be able to write it down in < 15 minutes. In prep for the class and to keep me focused on studying instead of sewing I brought my sewing machine down for its checkup. It was the only thing I could do to commit myself to this class and passing the exam- as my coach said multiple times: "Focus on Focusing"

Anyway, to help me remember some of these dreadful lists of boring terms I channeled the forum and used my passion for quilting to create some mnemonics. Thought I'd share them with you.

4 processes to create scope baseline: Charms Batiks Applique Panels
4 processes to define activities: ShooFly RailFence Dresden Sawtooth
9 processes in the Executing Process group: Whimsical Quilts And Dreaming of Making Cute Scrappy Pieces
10 processes in the Planning Process Group: We Quilt Something Cute. Cut Risks by Procuring Sharp Sewing Scissors.

Best thing - I PASSED the exam and am now a certified PMP. WOO HOO. Now where's my sewing machine ?

gribzoid
February 14th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Congratulations! I have the PMP and that is one difficult exam!

Susann
February 14th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Fantastic-congratulations!!!! What a fun way to memorize, too!

YellowCockatiel
February 14th, 2015, 12:20 PM

Now back to sewing!!!

WendyI
February 14th, 2015, 01:05 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! (now whats a PMP?)

Neller
February 14th, 2015, 01:22 PM
i was wondering that, too!

LRM
February 14th, 2015, 01:23 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! (now whats a PMP?)

That's exactly what I was thinking! I thought I'd figure it out by your processes, but none of them make any sense to me. The quilting terms -- got those!

Congrats to you. Obviously this was something important and difficult. Doesn't it feel good to check a big, hard task off the list?

Granny Fran
February 14th, 2015, 02:04 PM
I just googled it and am I impressed. Congrats is so not enough for such a great accomplishment.:icon_tup:

lmanna
February 14th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Thank you for all the congratulations. Definitely the most difficult exam I have ever taken. According to what I've read only about 47% of the people who take the exam pass it and that is after after 3 attempts.

The PMP (http://www.pmi.org/Certification/Project-Management-Professional-PMP.aspx)credential is the most important industry-recognized certification for project managers. Edited to add what the quilting terms helped me remember:

4 processes to create scope baseline:
Charms = Estimate Costs
Batiks = Determine Budget
Applique = Define Activities
Panels = Plan Procurement Management

4 processes to define activities:
ShooFly - Sequence
RailFence - Estimate Resource Requirements
Dresden - Estimate Durations
Sawtooth - Develop Schedule

9 processes in the Executing Process group:
Whimsical - Direct/Manage Work
Quilts -Perform Quality Assurance
And - Acquire Team
Dreaming of - Develop Team
Making - Manage Team
Cute - Manage Communications
Scrappy - Manage Stakeholder Engagement
Pieces - Conduct Procurements

10 processes in the Monitoring/Controlling Process Group:
We - Monitor/Control Work
Quilt - Control Quality
Something - Control Scope
Cute. - Control Costs
Cut - Control Communications
Risks by - Control Risks
Procuring - Control Procurements
Sharp - Control Schedule
Sewing - Validate Scope
Scissors. - Control Stakeholder Engagement

Hulamoon
February 14th, 2015, 04:03 PM
How impressive! Congratulations!!

Sylvia H
February 14th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Congratulations! That is an impressive accomplishment.

Grandma Nan
February 14th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Last week I took a very intensive/stressful/draining/crazy PMP exam prep class. On day one we had to have a bunch of stuff memorized and be able to write it down in < 15 minutes. In prep for the class and to keep me focused on studying instead of sewing I brought my sewing machine down for its checkup. It was the only thing I could do to commit myself to this class and passing the exam- as my coach said multiple times: "Focus on Focusing"

Anyway, to help me remember some of these dreadful lists of boring terms I channeled the forum and used my passion for quilting to create some mnemonics. Thought I'd share them with you.

4 processes to create scope baseline: Charms Batiks Applique Panels
4 processes to define activities: ShooFly RailFence Dresden Sawtooth
9 processes in the Executing Process group: Whimsical Quilts And Dreaming of Making Cute Scrappy Pieces
10 processes in the Planning Process Group: We Quilt Something Cute. Cut Risks by Procuring Sharp Sewing Scissors.

Best thing - I PASSED the exam and am now a certified PMP. WOO HOO. Now where's my sewing machine ?

Congratulations . I was a registered nurse for my career but the last 8 years I worked as a Project Manager for an Electronic Health Record and studied PMP intensively but actually never wrote the exam (thats another discussion). PMP can take you a long way. Well done and congratulations.

MayinJerset
February 14th, 2015, 07:01 PM
Congrats - great accomplishment. You did focus on focusing with a quilting twist - you will go far girl!

ceiliam
February 14th, 2015, 10:55 PM
Congratulations,thats impressive

laura44
February 15th, 2015, 02:07 AM
Wow! Congratulations!

snippet
February 16th, 2015, 12:48 AM
WooHoo! PMP and a tuned up sewing machine too! LOL

the PMP is a tough one for sure, I remember how hard I studied for it and it was a crazy time. After passing that one my work decided I also needed CISSP. I can't say which was more difficult. They both take a lot out of you.

Anyways, congratulations!

dlsnaples
February 16th, 2015, 06:31 AM
Congratulations! Quilting does make us smarter! It is a scientific fact.

Trish04
February 16th, 2015, 07:08 AM
Congrats! What a great way to remember! Very impressive

Blue Pig Giggles
October 23rd, 2016, 01:19 PM
I keep telling my school aged kids to take what they knew and applied it to stuff they do not know to help them remember. Thanks for this post! Congratulations on your accomplishment! Now, for me to find my kids and show them your post...what an awesome example of motivating yourself to achieve what you wanted.

WendyI
October 24th, 2016, 10:18 AM
That is something I also am considering investing in for my career. I already am involved a lot with projects, just not the management side. These courses are offered frequently at my work so I should probably take advantage of them.

Congrats again!

seaturtle
October 24th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Congratulations doesn't seem like enough!

songbird857
October 24th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Way to go!! Congrats :)

peggiep
October 24th, 2016, 07:10 PM
Congratulations....I have my PMP too and know how VERY difficult that exam is.

Great way to remember all those processes...wish I had thought of something like that when I wrote the exam 15 years ago...but then I didn't know anything about quilting either. lol Congrats....great accomplishment.

Monique
October 25th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Okay I had to read all about it and CONGRATULATIONS!!

Bubby
October 25th, 2016, 08:44 AM
Huge Congratulations!

snippet
October 27th, 2016, 02:02 AM
That is something I also am considering investing in for my career. I already am involved a lot with projects, just not the management side. These courses are offered frequently at my work so I should probably take advantage of them.

Congrats again!oh yeah Wendy, if your work is offering the courses you should jump on them. And if they pay for the test - don't hesitate! It's so worth it. It's a huge accomplishment and makes an impression in any future career moves. Lots of work though.