PDA

View Full Version : USPS....no sense at all

shirleyknot
February 13th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Why on earth would they ship a package from Arkansas to Des Moines Iowa, destined for Marion Iowa, ALLLLLL the way back to MEMPHIS TN, instead of the last few miles to its destination? Can't ask the USPS. THEY aren't answering, neither by phone nor email. They lose or damage my quilt and it will cost them. LOTS of insurance! You suppose they don't realize Tn is SOUTH of Iowa, about 80 miles from where I mailed it?

Carrie J
February 13th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Shirley, the USPS routes are crazy nuts these days!! No wonder they're going in the hole! Hope your quilt makes it safe and sound!

YellowCockatiel
February 13th, 2015, 11:40 AM
What? That is crazy. Hope your get delivered quickly and safely.

Amy R
February 13th, 2015, 11:46 AM
my cousin had sent a package to my little one from NY. It went way past Ohio to South dakota?! and then back. It is crazy!

Midge
February 13th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Apparently lots of screw ups in their programming. Doesn't surprise me. I'd be upset too if I sent a completed quilt.

laura44
February 13th, 2015, 01:04 PM
They like to send items to their main distribution centers. Doesn't make sense.
I did a layer cake swap on this Forum. The USPS lost the package so I had to send
another one. 6 months later it showed up to the swap host, ripped, dirty, full of rocks
and dirt. You think the post office would have sent it back to me, not sent it on. Sounds like your package is taking a long road trip! (scenic route!)

shirleyknot
February 13th, 2015, 01:12 PM
But my baby brother is COLD and needs his quilt! :icon_razz:

Granny Fran
February 13th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Remember, this is a government program.......sorry DS#2 (he works for the post office in NC).

dwil23
February 13th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Lots of factors involved, so no way of knowing what is actually happening. Yes, there have been major changes to distribution networks recently. On top of that, weather conditions, human error (both employee and customers are capable of making errors) and most often machinery error. I did not work last night, but heard that the computer network went down NATIONWIDE, so don't know if that could have played into it or not.

And, as Fran said, remember this is a government agency. TPTB are pleading their case before Congress for reducing delivery standards and need to prove that we, the employees are costing them way too much. Did I mention contract negotiations are right around the corner? So....just remember......these are the same people who will be in charge of your internet and healthcare!

Ok, now I am going to take my shower and get a nap - so that I can report to the craziness 4 hours early.

Betsy D
February 13th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Last fall I had a package mailed from southern Illinois to southern California. I had tracking, and good thing. It went from here to there, then back here and there, then AGAIN the same. I went in and talked to my local PO. They gave me a local phone number to call, I gave her the tracking number, and she fixed it. Once I got help, it worked out fine. But what a pain!

FabStripper
February 13th, 2015, 02:38 PM
I wonder if they are trying to make work for the other post offices?

Vonnie
February 13th, 2015, 02:41 PM
We are losing our sorting facility here so even a letter to someone in the same town has to go to a major sorting facility which is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from here just to come back here.

RockinLou
February 13th, 2015, 02:46 PM
What??

My mom sent a package from NJ to Kazakhstan and it arrived in ten days... So postal miracles are possible!!!

songbird857
February 13th, 2015, 02:55 PM
I'm tracking a fedex package - yesterday, it was in Rocky Hill, CT, which is about one hour south of me - so I figured, oh great, it will be here today! Nope - It went west to Wawayanda, NY - I won't see it until probably Tuesday because of the Monday holiday...
At least the other order from Connecting Threads is out for delivery right now :)

pcbatiks
February 13th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Probably for the same reason that.......if I want to mail a card to my next door neighbor ....it would be sent to a city 70 miles away and then back to her house. :D

MRoy
February 13th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Anything I mail from here (southern KY) has to go thru Knoxville TN since the postal hub in Lexington KY was closed a few years ago. So any north bound mail has to go south first, then north.

Navy Wife
February 13th, 2015, 03:32 PM
I am 15 miles south of Knoxville, and my packages sometimes go to Atlanta, back to Knoxville, and then to their destination.

shirleyknot
February 13th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Well GEE. After almost 3 days, it is now BACK in Des Moines! Wonder where it will go next? South Dakota?

starlover
February 13th, 2015, 07:11 PM
I had a package ordered from Texas to Texas. It went all the way to Missouri before coming back here to Texas :icon_beuj:

BobW
February 13th, 2015, 07:38 PM
First of all they will only cover the cost of the material with insurance if the item is lost. Labor and sentimental value isn't covered by the insurance. The fact that you insured your parcel means they are tracking it.

They have set hubs that they direct the mail through. It all works in some great divine plan. LOL

shirleyknot
February 13th, 2015, 08:09 PM
I paid for a certain amount of insurance, and I WILL have every penny if it comes to it. And there is nothing at all "divine" about the USPS. They suck, more some days than others.

BobW
February 13th, 2015, 10:29 PM
I paid for a certain amount of insurance, and I WILL have every penny if it comes to it. And there is nothing at all "divine" about the USPS. They suck, more some days than others.

Shirleyknot,

If you read the small print on the insurance forms, you have to prove the value of the item insured. When you ship something, say a quilt you made the only thing you can verify is the cost of the material and you will need the receipts. They will not pay for your labor or the sentimental value. If you ship a flash drive with computer data on it and it is lost the insurance only pays for the value of the flash drive, nothing for the loss of the data.

You can purchase $1,000,000 of insurance but the company isn't going to pay that out if the value of the item isn't that much. You can say you would get every penny of the money, but this is the way the system works. You should check on the facts before you state things. The reality of insurance is the insurance is to pay out the least amount legally possible.

The USPS is one of the best in the world. They are one of the lowest priced shippers. They rarely lose mail.

Quiltfreestyle
February 13th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Unfortunately Bob is right. USPS lost the grandson's quilt for over 6 weeks. You better believe I was all over them every day demanding info, but somehow the tracking simply stopped being tracked !!! Turned out it was being thrown around in the LA annex for all that time!! Anyway short story, I demanded they pay on the insurance & was told that I had to prove the value of the quilt & unless I had a full on appraisal they would only pay the cost of the materials & that only if I had receipts.
All those details are in the small print, which of course we never read...
Lucky for me it finally showed up in WA mashed & dirty, but I had it wrapped in 2 trashed bags.
I'll never ship a quilt via USPS again, only fedex or UPS.

shirleyknot
February 13th, 2015, 11:32 PM
I insured it for what I sold it for, and I HAVE proof of that.

Angelia
February 13th, 2015, 11:44 PM
The USPS is one of the best in the world. They are one of the lowest priced shippers. They rarely lose mail.

I agree wholeheartedly.

BobW
February 13th, 2015, 11:45 PM
I insured it for what I sold it for, and I HAVE proof of that.

I hope your baby brother gets his quilt and it is in perfect shape. He deserves what he paid for. :icon_giggle:

Quiltfreestyle
February 14th, 2015, 02:33 AM
That should work!! I so hope they find it like they did mine, even if it takes them too long.
Good luck & fingers crossed :)

alik57
February 14th, 2015, 11:47 AM
My last order from M* took over 10 days in shipping and I'm in IL. The central PO sorted it to the PO one town over from my home. When I tracked it, it was showing that it was just sitting there so I drove there to inquire where it was and after some searching on their computer I was told it was sent back to central sorting, 12 miles away to be re-sorted back to my village Post Office. They could have sent a mail truck 3 miles to my Post Office to drop it off. I no longer send anything through the USPS but on the other hand, I've had boxes that I've sent using UPS that have looked like they went through a war zone when received on the other end. The one good thing about UPS is that they will start searching for a package a lot sooner than what the USPS does when it doesn't make the targeted delivery date. As far as FedEx, anytime I order something from them and it's coming from the East they drive through IL to Wisconsin and then drive it back to Chicago, routing I suppose.

shirleyknot
February 15th, 2015, 12:57 PM
How many miles on this package before it gets to Marion Iowa?

Tracking history
2/15/15 9:38 AM MEMPHIS, TN 38136 Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
2/13/15 5:09 PM DES MOINES, IA 50395 Departed USPS Facility
2/13/15 10:37 AM DES MOINES, IA 50395 Arrived at USPS Facility
2/11/15 7:39 PM MEMPHIS, TN 38136 Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
2/10/15 10:49 PM DES MOINES, IA 50395 Departed USPS Facility
2/10/15 12:20 PM DES MOINES, IA 50395 Arrived at USPS Facility
2/07/15 11:12 AM CORD, AR 72524 Departed Post Office
2/07/15 10:16 AM CORD, AR 72524

Quiltfreestyle
February 15th, 2015, 02:23 PM
That's so far past ridiculous it's not even funny!! I would be so ticked by now I would be spitting nails...
This is why I will never send a quilt via USPS again,,, at least you have tracking, they somehow stopped tracking my package for several weeks before it was finally delivered
Good luck to you,, fingers crossed that the package finally stops going around in circles & finally makes it it Iowa