PDA

View Full Version : The Night Owl Swoops In

kimsophia
February 13th, 2015, 06:06 AM
Oops I didn't see May just posted ahead of me

MayinJerset
February 13th, 2015, 07:15 AM
Good to have some company on this cold night, at least it isn't snowing again. Finished my tea and think it's time to try to get a more sleep before the sun rises.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 13th, 2015, 07:31 AM
The real night owls were hooting outside my house, one low hooter in the back, answered by a higher hooter in front! So cool to hear them canoodling! Woo me, woo me, just in time for Valentine's Day!

kimsophia
February 13th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Isn't it funny that owls mate in the dead of winter? Maybe they do it to keep warm...lol

Midge
February 13th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Hi fellow night owls. Up at 4:45 for absolutely no good reason. So I got my coffee and back in bed because it's too darn cold to do otherwise. Owls - love 'em. Saw three kinds the other day on a birding walk, a barred owl, a great horned, and a Eastern screech owl. So that was a great walk. Also saw a bald eagle pair who are nesting in a park near me. A river runs through the park and it empties into Lake Erie just a little ways north of where they nest, so that is prime hunting territory. Such a beautiful sight to have these magnificent birds back in numbers near cities. It was the only reasonably warm day we've had recently for a bird walk.

Hey, did you see the Valentine's sale for the DD? Had to push the buy button. I really wanted the fusions JR. Actually there was a lot on that sale that I wanted, so it was a hard choice. I needed to buy the Hex n More ruler b/c I have a pattern needing a 60 degree triangle. And I've been wanting to try some of Julie Herman's patterns. So I got that too. With this and that added in I got the mini tumbler ruler too. And the wacky web refills, which I don't need because I don't have a wacky web. Anybody want those? I'd be glad to send them to you.

kimsophia
February 13th, 2015, 09:22 AM
A free DD and yet I couldn't buy more stuff when I just spent around $75 on a present for some children I haven't met. Books. I hope they like them. From what I hear there are almost no books in the house except the ones I bought them previously. Poverty makes me sad. And it leading to poverty of the mind is worse. So, they get some more. I don't need anything more anyway. I have plenty to do already.

Midge
February 13th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Be careful, kimsophia, your kind heart is showing! You are buying the right things if you are helping children realize the life of the mind is so rewarding - and a way out of poverty. There will always be another sale to add to your favorite hobby supplies.

kimsophia
February 13th, 2015, 09:52 AM
I should be out earning my own philanthropy money, though...its easy to be generous from my DH's wallet! Bleh. :icon_razz:

toggpine
February 13th, 2015, 02:29 PM
I have never understood how you can not have books in a house, even if you don't have money. Most places have access to a library, and they don't charge for cards around here.
Then again, I love to read and have learned a lot from books. I like word games too. Emily was playing Bananagrams (think cross between scrabble and crossword puzzle) with me before she could really read.

No night-owling for me last night. I was tempted. Hubby brought home the latest book in a series I love. I really wanted to plop down on the couch, grab a blankie and dive in. I did not. Oh, but I wanted to!

bubba
February 13th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Books was one thing we never said no to for the kids, and now the grandkids. Matter of fact, when we took Tyler and his girlfriend, Jamie, up to Port Townsend last weekend, we ended up in a used bookstore MM loves, but neither picked anything out. I told them both, and Tyler already knew, that Grandpa would not say no to books! Well, still they did not pick anything. We got up to the front as he was at the register and he turned and asked them if they had found anything, and they both said yes but they weren't going to get them! Well, MM told them to grab them.....they each came back w/beautiful leather bound books (I nearly died), one was Alice in Wonderland and for the boy, he selected a collection by Robert Frost. I think it multiplied the original checkout price about 10x, but MM didn't care.

I just played Bananagrams for the first time last month! That is a fun game! MM would not like it though.

I wish I had an owl....

pcbatiks
February 13th, 2015, 03:09 PM
We starting looking at picture books and reading to our son when he was a baby.....and read to him every day.

I wish all of you book worms could come to the used book sale next month! You all would have a blast! We have tables full of wonderful children's books.