X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heather
    • Apr 2024

Does anyone remember...

Does anyone remember mangle irons? My mom had one, she kept it in the garage and used it to press her looong tablecloths. She gifted me one of these fancy embroidered tablecloths at Christmas. It's a beautiful thing but impossible to iron. It got me to wondering if anyone remembers these or better yet still has one!
  • bubba
    Missouri Star
    • Mar 2013

Re: Does anyone remember...

What a funny question! When I was at the sewing machine store, I was talking to the gal who always helps me (we were next door neighbors when we were young) and I told her how I'd gotten MM a steam press for Christmas. Then I mentioned the mangle my mom had when I was younger. I remembered her using it occasionally, but we were not allowed to be in the same room while she was using it because it was 'dangerous'!! She said she remembered her mom having one too, but when they moved she had gotten rid of it.....gee, it came to my house!!

Seriously though, I have no clue what she used it for. We had no fancy tablecloths....maybe she did the sheets??
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Judy, USMC
      Missouri Star
      • May 2013

No one had one in my family that I remember ~ but I know some of the long-time laundry services still use them. I dropped off a tablecloth last year and it came back perfectly pressed.

Comment

• dwil23
        Missouri Star
        • May 2012

For anyone, like myself, that does not know what a mangle iron is:

I have to agree "mangle" is not a great name for anything mechanical!
        Donna

Comment

• WendyI
          Missouri Star
          • Nov 2012

I had never heard of it...I had to Google it! It LOOKS dangerous! Yikes! Mangler is a good name for it. Could you imagine a hand getting caught in that? ***shudder***

Comment

• bubba
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2013

Ha!!! My mom told us our arms would get ripped off!!!
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

• Midge
              Missouri Star
              • Mar 2014

Wow there is a blast from the past. I wasn't allowed near grandma's mangle or my mother's wringer washer. Completely understandable. Back in the day, everything was starched and ironed. Sheets, pillowcases, handkerchiefs (fresh, clean daily), dish towels, table cloths for the kitchen/breakfast table as well as big ones for the dining room, napkins (no paper ones in those days), kids play clothes like pants, shirts, pajamas. Everything. Our nice dresses for school, church and parties were ironed by hand. Everything looked perfect, but it took most of the day to achieve it.

Comment

• BobW
                Missouri Star
                • Feb 2014

My first job was in a hotel laundry. They had a restaurant and meeting rooms that they used tablecloths and napkins in. We had to launder them, this was back before good "Permanent Press" lines. We had a mangle that we ran the tablecloths and napkins through. Not long before I started they had to run the sheets through so they would be crisp and smooth.

It was hell during the summer, the dryers going and the mangle. Oh the good ole days.

Comment

• bubba
                  Missouri Star
                  • Mar 2013

Oh yes.....my mom had one of those wringer washers too!!! I think it was a Maytag and it had that big silver button on the front of the tub you had to push. She did laundry only on Fridays (there was my dad, her, and five girls!!) and we had no dryer so clothes were hung out on the lines in the backyard. In the winter, she had lines in the basement in the furnace room and would hang them down there.

I always thought it was fascinating to watch her do the wash, having to run it thru the wringer (that looked like fun!!), into the double sink, into the other sink, then back in the washer again. I remember when they got that, I was about four years old and she used it all the way till I was in high school when a neighbor got a new washer/dryer set so they gave her the old one and she finally had a dryer!!

I can't even imagine.....
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

• Midge
                    Missouri Star
                    • Mar 2014

Major amount of backbreaking work involved bubba. You are so right. I don't remember what type of wringer washer my mom had. But she hung everything outside except in the dead of winter. Smelled so wonderful, though! Nothing like that smell. Yes to the clothesline my dad strung from the floor joists above our heads in the basement with eye screws. When not in use for drying wet clothes, those lines were the foundation for castles, forts and houses to play in. We would put up blankets and sheets. But of course, the kittens (when there were some, which was often) thought those make believe castles were just for them to climb!

Comment

• lapeoples
                      Designer Diva
                      • Sep 2013

We have a wringer washer we still use. Nothing gets the horse blankets cleaner.
                      :icon_rolleyes:There are 3 kinds of men
                      The one who learns by reading
                      The few who learn by observation
                      The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence themselves
                      Will Rogers
                      :icon_shake:

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. Harry S Truman
                      :icon_shake:

Imperfect action is better than perfect inaction.
                      :icon_giggle:

Comment

• Grandma Nan
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jun 2014

My mom had a wringer washer and we also were on a well outside of town. So the cleanest clothes were washed first- like the tea towels and dish clothes and aprons, then into a wash tub of 1st rinse water and then into a 2nd tub. We used the same water for a couple of loads cause the clean stuff really didn't get the water dirty. Then when each load was done it went out on the line to dry. Frozen stiff in the winter. Everything and I mean everything was ironed. Oh my gosh but that was Tuesday. Did you have a sprinkler bottle to dampen the clothes when you ironed?? We sure did. Yikes, not the good old days in my memory.
                        Grandma Nan

sigpic

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

Comment

• klgls
                          Missouri Star
                          • Apr 2013

We had one. Mom got so she could iron everything on it. Wow, what memories of Mom at that task.
                          ***Kathy***

Comment

• Judy, USMC
                            Missouri Star
                            • May 2013

I have a Maytag wringer washer in Chicago - in addition to the normal washer and dryer we have nowadays. Oh fond memories of getting my hand caught between the wringers and hearing the wonderful pop when the pressure automatically released and the rollers stopped turning. And I still have mom's plastic sprinkler head still attached to the green 7-UP bottle. Too afraid to try and remove it - I might break that dried out cork fitting.

Comment

• MayinJerset
                              Missouri Star
                              • May 2012

All that time and trouble to press one little napkin? Come on who has that much time but at least you could iron stuff while sitting down.

Mother had a big wringer washer and she did laundry like Grandma Nan's mom did ending with my brother's dirty jeans. She used a sawed off broom stick to push the clothes around. She got rid of it after she got her arm caught in the rollers and couldn't reach the button to stop the rollers. Don't remember who she got her arm out but she had her arm in a sling for quite some time.

Comment

Working...
                              X