PDA

View Full Version : seriously time to move...

songbird857
February 12th, 2015, 01:30 PM
I live in a major city, but my neighborhood usually isn't too bad - coupla drug busts here and there...
Yesterday, a 20 year old murdered his 17 year old ex girlfriend at her home on my street - please pray for her family.

CarolynK
February 12th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Oh gosh that would be scary! Praying for that family and YOU. Stay safe girl!

Grandma G
February 12th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Good grief. So sorry for her family and his, too. I don't think it will matter very much where you live. There is so much violence in society anymore. Gone forever are the days of living carefree lives. When I look at my young grandchildren I really worry for their safety and the world they will grow up in.

Midge
February 12th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Very very upsetting, songbird. It is tragic that this young woman was involved with this man at any point in time. However, I don't think a murder motivated by domestic violence or a breakup is related to your neighborhood. Domestic violence is present in every socioeconomic level. So are stalkers that beat and kill. So are drug users. Still, when it happens down the street, it becomes personal, and feels unsafe.

Amy R
February 12th, 2015, 02:01 PM
That is terrible. :(

FabStripper
February 12th, 2015, 02:04 PM
This is sad in so many ways. What was a 17 year old girl doing with a 20 year old young man? I'm old fashioned and think that age gap is too big for that girl. Stay safe.

rebeccas-sewing
February 12th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Such sad news. It's pretty frightening when it happens so close to home.

Carrie J
February 12th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Norma, that is terrible news and how tragic for her family. Unfortunately the days of feeling safe and not locking things up like Ft. Knox no longer exist. As society degrades, so does our safety, no matter the neighborhood! Gone are the days of sleeping with windows open, doors unlocked, strolling down your street at dusky dark or at night. We've returned to the cave for protection.

WendyI
February 12th, 2015, 02:17 PM
So very tragic. Her poor parents and family. :(

Claire OneStitchAtATime
February 12th, 2015, 02:26 PM
My heart is with her family and friends.

dwil23
February 12th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Sorry to tell you, you can run, but you can't hide. These kind of things are happening everywhere. It is so sad to think how things will be in just a few short years as our society slides downhill. Life has no value to so many.

I spent two consecutive "weekends" (for me that's THursday and Friday recently with my doors locked and not even venturing to the mailbox to get fabric orders because there were manhunts on in nearby areas. The first was for a man who, on the run from police because he tried to rob a pawnshop and then shot at police, got into the home of a middle aged woman and her Mom, brutally killing them before stealing their car. The second, only 20 yrs old, shot and killed a 17 year old in a drug deal gone bad. And I live in a rural area.

(((HUGS)))

Sandy Navas
February 12th, 2015, 03:47 PM
Most definitely prayers.

Monique
February 12th, 2015, 08:38 PM
A tragedy. What is wrong with some people. Prayers to the family.

Eriepatch
February 12th, 2015, 10:13 PM
what a terrible tragedy. Stay safe

Simply Quilting
February 13th, 2015, 01:58 AM
How sad. Prayers for this girl's family and friends.

shirleyknot
February 13th, 2015, 01:15 PM
This is sad in so many ways. What was a 17 year old girl doing with a 20 year old young man? I'm old fashioned and think that age gap is too big for that girl. Stay safe.

Because parents don't "parent" any more.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
February 13th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Because parents don't "parent" any more.

Shirley, for sure there are some parents who don't take enough care, and there always have been. But you know, many of us on the list are parents, and although I can't speak for everyone, I myself have done excellent parenting in extreme conditions. Go easy on us younger folks, please. :)

Navy Wife
February 13th, 2015, 06:33 PM
dwil23, today was even worse. A man slashed his wife's throat, and when she didn't die, he shot her twice...in front of their 2 kids. I'm in Zephyrhills, FL for the winter. Living in a small Tennessee town near a medium Tennessee city, we don't get quite as much violence as Tampa has. But even our small town has some and Knoxville is getting worse all the time.

LRM
February 14th, 2015, 01:40 PM
I believe bad things have always happened, but we haven't known. Our information availability (through news and internet) makes it feel as if the world is going to hell in a handbasket. But most people can tell stories of domestic violence, crimes, etc from every time period. My dad regularly reminds me of what the "good old days" were like and they were not pretty or perfect. It keeps me grounded.

My dear friend is a sergeant for LAPD and she regularly tells me that domestic violence is the equal opportunity crime. It happens in rich, poor, good, and bad neighborhoods. I know this isn't much comfort, but it does help me know that when it happens near me, it is really not an immediate threat.
We all need to do what we can to help those trapped in relationships that are violent or oppressive. The cycle needs to be stopped. Unfortunately many people who treat others badly learned it as a result of being a victim themselves.

K. McEuen
February 14th, 2015, 02:44 PM
I believe bad things have always happened, but we haven't known.

Exactly. Although it could be higher numbers because of more people now, but it has always been happening.

dwil23
February 14th, 2015, 05:09 PM
dwil23, today was even worse. A man slashed his wife's throat, and when she didn't die, he shot her twice...in front of their 2 kids. I'm in Zephyrhills, FL for the winter. Living in a small Tennessee town near a medium Tennessee city, we don't get quite as much violence as Tampa has. But even our small town has some and Knoxville is getting worse all the time.

Wasn't that awful? Those poor kids, bad enough for it to happen, but for them to witness it. We have had a rash of awful things happen to kids here lately. Little Phoebe thrown off of the Skyway by her own father was just unthinkable. I agree with the others who say that they have always happened we just didn't know. My sister was an ER nurse at TGH back in the 80's-90's. They treated hundreds of stab and gunshot victims every month that were never even reported in the media.

On a funny/sad news note - did you see the one about the drunk couple that decided to "nap" in a WAWA dumpster? They nearly ended up with a Darwin award!

Welcome to Florida!