PDA

View Full Version : Thursday - little Friday

Blondie
February 12th, 2015, 08:16 AM

Hello Folksies,
Yet again, the days and weeks keep marching on. Here we are almost in the middle of February. How did that happen?? Since it is almost Valentines Day, I am thinking of what I should do for the big fella. It won't be much - we generally don't do much of gift giving these days to each other. Actually, it is sort of hit and miss. I can expect the sweetest card he could find to express his sentiment. While he is a very quiet guy, whenever he says something, you better believe I listen. Sort of like E.F. Hutton - anyone remember those ads?

I did ask Mom yesterday if she remembered the glass in the head ordeal and her memory is once again so very interesting. She said yes, how could she forget. All I did was cry and wiggle, she said, and I got the walloping for wetting my britches. It seems that back in the day snowsuits were heckfire shoot to clean. I don't think I ever wore that contraption again. I am fairly certain it had a certain stench that is hard to remove from woolen lining. Eewww.
When I asked why brother didn't receive the same treatment she said she was fairly sure it was an accident and he felt so badly about it. Peeing in my pants was not an accident? Oh well, as many of my commiserating sisters here on the forum would agree, some things never change. Big Brother is still the apple of her eye, Little Sis is still the baby and I am literally still in the middle. I mean literally. Brother lives on one side of me and Little Sis lives on the other side. While my brother was the tormentor of my youth, I can say truthfully that he has also given me some of the biggest belly laughs of my life.

Monique, hope you have found out the cause of DGD's problem. Barb, still praying for you and Jeff. Sandy, hope your back is better. I feel your pain. All those pounded with the white stuff, stay warm. We have had a fairly mild week here, cold at night and a.m. - slightly warmer during the day. Tonite begins the cold that will stick around for a bit. Makes my poor hands and other joints hurt terribly. Not much hand stitching on those days unless I take an Aleeve, which I don't particularly like doing. Nsaid's and all that jazz.

Wishing you all a wonderful day. It is always good to count your blessings - surprise yourself at how many you can actually count. Turn the news off, an old movie on and smile on.

Hugs, prayers and many smiles!

Monique
February 12th, 2015, 08:20 AM
Good morning everyone. Did not get anything accomplished yesterday at all. I have to work today and tomorrow and just not sure what I will take with me this morning. I haven't heard yet how Maizyn did last night. I hope it all works itself out.

Still dark and snow covered this morning.

Have a great day everyone.

Ginny B
February 12th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Good Morning. Happy Lincoln's Birthday. DH and I were talking about how we remembered when we would have today off and then we would have Washington's Birthday off too in just a short while. Of course, that was way back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth. We were also talking about Valentine's Day. He asked if I wanted to go out to dinner --- my answer was a resounding NO. It's so crowded and I would much rather stay home. Not sure whether we will get some take-out or team up and make something together.

Monique, I hope your dgd had a better night. Blondie, I was wondering what your mom's recollections of the incident would be. :) I am the oldest in my family and it is very interesting how we remember things so differently. My sister and I (she is the youngest) are usually closer on how we remember things. My middle-child brother however has his own version of family history at times. We just shake our heads. LOL

Going to be getting really cold over the next couple days. Stay inside and sew and keep warm everyone

songbird857
February 12th, 2015, 09:10 AM
Morning all :)
Got the front of the pillow pieced yesterday - I might quilt it today and put it together. I may even have enough leftover geese for another pillow with more white space so I can embroider or applique' the baby's name - we'll see...
Family history - boy oh boy... as the youngest of 6, I know things are remembered differently for some of us! I do know that I was somewhat spoiled as the baby of the family. I know this because when I was younger, I got the 'Mom and dad would have NEVER let us do that when we were your age!' speeches. :)
Gotta go start the car and bring DD to school for her 8am class... have a fabulous day everyone!

CarolynK
February 12th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Good Morning all!

Family stuff...I was the oldest of 4 girls with an older brother. I HAD to set the example for my little wee sisters...I think I did fairly well considering they are all wonderful people. The younger two got to do whatever they wanted...sleep til noon, leave for the day on Saturday while the older two had to clean the bathrooms with a toothbrush...oh and in between the two younger ones showers....sigh. It made me a stronger person...I think.

Still in the throws of the yearly audit at work and busy, busy, busy. Little drama with the girl at the post office in this very small little town and very glad that I live OUTSIDE the city and not controlled by the mayor and her agenda. Long story short...our Rural Water district had a meeting with the city council (they want to sue us) and the mayor started the meeting with "I am fat, old (she's 71) and I cry a lot so you'll all just have to deal with it". I couldn't decide what was worse...the fact that she started a professional meeting with that statement or that when I looked around the room, it appeared to me that all present except myself didn't even flinch at that opening statement. It went down hill from there. I even got told to shut up by one of the council members after I rolled my eyes once. These people are weird - totally backward thinking. This city will go bankrupt in the next year or two.

Anywho, Board Meeting is tonight and I will probably get "talked" to. Sigh....

Got to get moving - Prayers, big smiles and hugs to everyone! Have a great day.

Carolyn

Amy R
February 12th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Hey ladies!
Anniversary dinner was nice, we went to Olive Garden. Sophie colored and played with the stickers from the kids meal. Filled up on bread mostly but did eat a chicken finger and some grapes.
Our dinner was DELICIOUS. I even tried a wine that wasn't like sweet fruit juice. What a big girl LOL. It was the recommended pairing with the portobello ravioli. MMM.

From what I hear we're in for some snow so that's exciting!! I expected to see some this morning on the ground but nothing.
I set up a cardboard case sized low box with kitty's quilt to see if he'd use it, finally he used his quilt last night LOL.

Did you ever have to fire a friend? I should say "friend". I did the other day. It's a shame but I don't keep users and negative ppl around. Kinda hurts to find this out as she lives across the street but that's the way it is...

Prayers and hugs and happy thoughts for all.

MayinJerset
February 12th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Bday lunches are finally over, met my quilting pal yesterday for a nice $5 lunch. We both enjoyed a medium size Mexican chicken wrap although it was an Italian restaurant. Coffee was extra but it went so well with all our gabbing.

Dr. appointment this afternoon and probably some errands afterwards.

Ginny, I remember having Lincoln and Washington birthdays off from school way back in the last mid century. The NY Daily News always had the president's pictures on the front page of the color section on the Sunday before their birthdays and we would tear them out to bring to school.

WendyI
February 12th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Well today is Friday for me. Tomorrow I booked the day off to go sign my lease on my new apartment. Moving day May 1st and I woke up this morning panicking about how I'm going to accomplish it all. Most of the people who offered to help me move are women...and while I think we can do anything I know it's going to involve me doing a lot of lifting with Scott which is going to cause me a lot of knee pain. Oh well, it's a few months away so no point in obsessing now. I figure I will start packing end of March...although I have promised myself to start now and do at least two boxes every weekend.

AmyR that stinks about having to fire a friend and neighbour...not fun I'm sure. Monique hope your DGD is feeling better. SandyN hope you're on your way to being more mobile...back problems are not fun. Carolyn...sounds like some pretty rude peeps you're dealing with there...good luck! Blondie, as usual, thank you for the smiles. Hoping everyone has a great day and weekend. xox

RockinLou
February 12th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Today was a long one, I'm exhausted from staying up super late last night to grade papers, I just want to catch up from the backlog of being sick for 2 weeks... Tomorrow I give a presentation about email efficiency and etiquette, I'm sure those who need it probably won't elect to come!! Oh well, at least I'm contributing and can out it on my resume...

I had Russian club after work, that always bends my brain in inhuman ways!! They want me to get on stage at a school event in the spring and sing a song... No, no, no, I'm 35 and I won't do it!!

When I came home my son threw a colossal tantrum... Most moms would turn to wine, I think I will work on a quilt block tonight, if I can keep my eyes open!! LOL!

Grandma Nan
February 12th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Good morning fellow quilters
I'm a little behind this morning. Still waking up each morning sneezing and very congested but it will be gone by late morning. Even bought new pillows in case it was an allergy but no difference. Not sure why this is happening but it is annoying.

I am the oldest of 3; younger sister and youngest brother. My brother swears when he was a child that our family took a vacation to Florida (we had friends who moved there) and left him home with my grandmother. It never happened. You can't convince him of that tho. In his head that is a real memory.

I don't know what my day will look like today, just playing it by ear. I have 2 quilt tops on the go for piecing but I am also reading some very interesting history on the vintage singers so doing a bit of a flip flop on which way my day will go. I would really like to see my Jacob's ladder quilt top finished so I think I'm sliding that way.

Stay safe and stay well all my friends. Big hugs to everyone.

Granny Fran
February 12th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Did you ever have to fire a friend? I should say "friend". I did the other day. It's a shame but I don't keep users and negative ppl around. Kinda hurts to find this out as she lives across the street but that's the way it is...

Yes, Amy, I did last fall. It's sad in a way....this person was someone I knew for almost 10 years, but she was becoming a vampire and sucking all my energy. It's strange, but I feel so much better now and don't feel guilty (I had expected I would). I just told her I could not be her friend anymore because I did not like the way her life was affecting me. She took it well and from a mutual friend I hear she misses me a lot. I'm sure she does, but I do not miss the negativity at all. Amazing what I put up with.....shame on me. LOL

Glad you had a good anniversary dinner. I would be honored to meet sometime, but I must warn you, I hibernate in the cold months. LOL

toggpine
February 12th, 2015, 11:28 AM
I'm up WAY earlier than normal. Our new livestock dog is trying. In every sense of the word.
She wants to be good, but she's at that puppy/teenage stage. She has decided that she can climb out of the pen we originally had her in. Then roaming the inside of the barn wasn't enough. I came home yesterday to find her out in the pasture with the goats. Ultimately this is where I want her to be. I just wanted the milkers to get used to her better. They still see her as a predator, not a guardian. She doesn't help this perception when she gets goofy and wants to play.
I put her back in the main barn last night so she could eat her supper and rest. Apparently she felt that 4:30 AM was a good time to start the morning shift. Most of the goats would have been sleeping when she came over the top of the fence. Being startled awake by having a 3' tall, 100# thing-that-looks-like-a-wolf, dropping in on you is bound to cause some panic in the herd. They all bolted outside snorting and carrying on. This, in turn, woke the older, much wiser, guardian dog in the upper pasture. He knows which window is mine, so he barked and yodeled at me that something was amiss. (Different than the "Deadly Force Back-up Needed" barks.)
I was down in the barn at 4:35 trying to calm everybody back down. Once things leveled back out and the older goats had taken a couple of body shots at the dog, I came up to shower and find a cup of coffee.
At least I'll have the computer surfing out of the way early today! I hope to get the other half of the zipper-tops done and possibly more today. I also have another batch of bananas ready for muffin making. AND I need to put together a list for Costco, as Hubby is making a run tonight on his way home. (I love that guy) I think he goes just for the snacks though.

I hope you all have a good day! Spread a few of those smiles around while you are at it!
Hugs, Cathy

GrammaBabs
February 12th, 2015, 11:33 AM
100852Morning all.. no going out today,,, going to finish up another quilt..diet still on track...began another sweater for "Rocco" :),,, can't believe this one was too small.. he must be working out, he could only get one "leg" in...LOL,,, Things in FL smoothed out,,, My DD(an) has lost 112lbs!... New Dentist is wonderful....My BFF's are back from "Punta Cana"... THE DANCE SATURDAY NIGHT HAD BETTER NOT BE CANCELED,,,, I'M DUE FOR SOME DANCING AND WINE!!!:)))
Love you all.... Hugs, GB

Sandy Navas
February 12th, 2015, 11:34 AM

Happiness comes in small bits and pieces. FINALLY have settled on a new home (you know it has to have space for a large sewing room, right). So funny - the realtor told me there was another couple interested in the same home and the guy had told her he already had the money in his pocket for the first month and deposit. Guess what? I ran out and got MOs for those and whipped them out to her after we gauged the size of the home and the family room/sewing room. I didn't catch it, but Al said the guy threw up his hands in disgust. Turn about is fair play or something. We are older so we get first dibs. Besides, it is definitely a NO SMOKING lease and both he and his wife reeked.

So the fun starts now - segregating 1) definite keepers; 2) gift this or donate; 3) what the . . . why is this even in my house?

The back had best get better real soon. I'm fine laying down or sitting - it's the getting up that causes problems. But I'm moving and a lot of people can't do that. We had a very sad case locally this week - house fire. There were problems getting one of the family members out of the home (they did manage and he's okay) - a 10 year old in a coma. He's been that way since he almost drowned at 18 months. I just can't imagine. Another house fire last week claimed the lives of three children.

Okay, if I'm going to get anything productive today I had best start moving.

Simply Quilting
February 12th, 2015, 11:48 AM
Good Morning!!! It is chilly here this morning. We are sitting at a minus 5 windchill. I've got to head to the city today. Taking a sewing machine in for a little repair. Then my Mom and I are taking a sewing machine class this afternoon. If it had not been for the fact that today is the only day available to do this, I would have much rather stayed home and sewed where it is warm. The children are coming with me and my Dad is going to take them to the mall while Mom and I are at class.

I think that my sewing machine is missing me, I have not been on it since Feb 2. I have been doing some hand sewing and some pattern designs. A box arrived from MO* yesterday with the fabric for the orange peel quilt and some pillowcases. I might start working on something when I get back from the city if it is not too late.

Sandy, I hope that your back gets better soon. And so excited that you have found a new place. The house fire that three people were killed in, had me in a panic for a few moments when I heard about it as I have family in that area. I seen the pictures of the three little ones on the news and was ready to cry.

For those not feeling good, I hope that you are on the mend quickly.

Prayers for safety who are dealing with the snow.

Have a Great Day everyone :)

Carrie J
February 12th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Good Morning all! :D I won't complain about our "tiny" cold front as too many here are having a Winter that's a LOT worse than ours. But I will say the sun is shining here, and hoping that all of you stay warm and snug today. Went to the Memorial for our dear friend in our sewing group last night. Then had our group dinner and sewing/crafting/gabbing. We had a glass and toast to our missing beloved friend, and then laughed over all the good times had together. She'll be missed greatly. I think all of us needed that very much.
Sandy, Congrats on the new place, but I surely don't envy you the move! Hoping that your back issues resolve soon! And my fave line from a movie is, "Sorry Girls, but I'm older and have more insurance!." LOL! You go girl! Blondie, yep, this little cold front has the fingers on the hands grumbling as well, but some capsaicin cream seems to take care of that. Off for coffee and a full day of sewing here, Hugs and Blessings to all, and especially those that need them! :D

Navy Wife
February 12th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Not much going on in Florida today. It was cool last night and today is sunny, but not as warm as usual. DH is still coughing from the cold he picked up in Atlanta last week, and now I have it. I can't get inspired to work on my sailboat quilt. I went to Lakeland on Tuesday and saw the perfect thing to go with the quilt. It's a sleeper/nightgown Navy blue with red sailboat on the front. Too bad Matthew is due in May. I don't think he will need that in Chicago in the summer!
I have to do grocery shopping today before I get too sick. DH will go, but he comes home with some of the strangest things!
Have a good day all. Hugs and prayers for those that need them.

Sandy Navas
February 12th, 2015, 03:59 PM
Not much going on in Florida today. It was cool last night and today is sunny, but not as warm as usual. DH is still coughing from the cold he picked up in Atlanta last week, and now I have it. I can't get inspired to work on my sailboat quilt. I went to Lakeland on Tuesday and saw the perfect thing to go with the quilt. It's a sleeper/nightgown Navy blue with red sailboat on the front. Too bad Matthew is due in May. I don't think he will need that in Chicago in the summer!
I have to do grocery shopping today before I get too sick. DH will go, but he comes home with some of the strangest things!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YFRUSTiFUs

MRoy
February 12th, 2015, 04:31 PM
It's been a slow day here...I'm having problems sleeping and I'm tired during the day. I may take a nap soon while the cold wind howls outside. But then I won't be able to sleep tonight. It's an endless circle!

Prayers and hugs to all who need them.

lapeoples
February 12th, 2015, 07:54 PM
Sandy- that's my favorite of her stories. Always gets me giggling.

Amy R
February 12th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Hilarious video!!!! Never heard of her before!

Eriepatch
February 12th, 2015, 10:13 PM
Amy, I missed your anniversary. Hope you have many more wonderful years together!

RockinLou
February 13th, 2015, 02:27 PM

My son was born in June in Atlanta and he still wore gowns to sleep all the time, air conditioning is chilly, newborns still need gowns in the summer, if it made you happy, and you can get it, I'd still go for it!! I was so sad when my kids outgrow the gown phase, they made for such easy nighttime changes!!