PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday

Blondie
February 11th, 2015, 08:12 AM

Happy Wednesday folksies

I am almost caught up from being gone last week. My thoughts are with all those in the snow filled areas! Fingers crossed and prayers said that power stays on, sidewalks, drives and roads cleared and all those bored children will be soon out of your hair and back in school. By now they are probably sick and tired of snowball fights, snowmen, snow forts, etc. Which reminds me of a story from when I was a little girl.

By now you know I am the middle child. I have an older brother who was alternately fun and tormenting as siblings go. At this time in my life, my sister was just toddling. One cold and very snowy week, my brother and I had so much fun playing in the deep snow. We made all the above mentioned and our favorite activity was making a snow fort. It was a beauty. One late afternoon, nature called and I announced I needed to potty. My brother, rascal that he was, ran into the house faster than my snowsuit would allow my chubby and short legs to move. He ran up the steps and into the house he went. By the time I got there, he was holding the door handle, grinning like a demon. I kept pulling and begging to get in. When he finally let go, I was in the process of a good yank and the door came off and both the door and I wound up on the ground next to the porch. The glass of the storm door was all over me and in my long blonde curls. The snow was yellow. That evening, after the miniscule shards were plucked from my head and hair with tweezers by my patient mom, I received a good walloping. I have still never understood why I got that one considering that brother dearest was the real instigator. I must ask Mom today if she remembers it the same way I do, that is, if she remembers it at all. She seems to remember everything in a hazy warm glow of perfect children.

How thrilled I am to read of Allie's DD gall bladder surgery. Allie, those gall bladders are tricky rascals and can make one so mysteriously and deeply ill, resembling all sorts of other maladies. Also, glad to read that you miss the lovely state of Virginia and that your Mom is being what every good Mom should be; wanting to take care of others. You know they say, Once a Mom, Always a Mom. While we don't have the snow, it is pert cold here this morning. The other day of nice temps was a tease. Take heart, Spring is only 39 days away.

Have a wonderful day, my friends. Keep a hope in your heart and a smile on your lips.

Carol336
February 11th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Good morning. What a great story Blondie, sounds like your brother was quite a mischievous little guy. I too am the middle child, 2 older sisters and 2 younger sisters.

Looking for a few prayers today. We had a couple look at our house on Monday evening, they were here for over an hour. Then they asked to come back in the daylight hours yesterday and spent another 2 hours here. They are going to submit a contract today and we are so hoping it'll be acceptable. However, we haven't even listed the house yet. We've been busy doing the the fixin up that our realtors suggested and were planning to list around Mar 1. But these peeps really want to move to our neighborhood, after showing them everything else in the area, asked if they could show them our house. We were in the middle of painting the pantry, floors all taped up, paint crapola everywhere, but they said to just leave it as is. There are still several rather large jobs to do, replacing old nasty carpet, replace a well worn vanity in one bathroom......so we're really hoping they don't shoot us a low ball price.

I'm saying a big prayer that the price is right and we accept the contract - because the minute its signed - the breakfast room turns back into my sewing salon, out comes Lulu and I can get back to sewing.....I've really been going thru withdraw - LOL

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone

songbird857
February 11th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Mornin'
Blondie - love your story :)
Carol - Praying for a quick, fair sale of your home!
Not much planned for today - maybe some sewing... I took a mini break after the baby quilt and the bunting, so I haven't sewn in a week. I have some leftover geese from the baby quilt, so I was thinking of making a pillow to go with the quilt. I'm looking forward to receiving thread and stencils this week to really dive into FMQ! Nothing on my sewing list that MUST be done at the moment, so I will just take my time and enjoy the process - we'll see how it goes ;)
We are looking into an assisted living facility here for my FIL - prayers are definitely needed to finance this venture, so thanks in advance to those that take time out of their busy day to pray for others! We are believing God for a miracle to pull it all together :)
Hope everyone has a great day!
Norma

Blondie
February 11th, 2015, 09:04 AM
prayers being said for your house sale, Carol. What a bonus if it should sell before the actual listing. Perhaps the realtor will take a cut on their commission? I know, I am a dreamer.
Years ago, I sold real estate and would go looking for sale by owner homes. I had a built in clientle from my hair salon, so I always knew who was looking for what and where. I would go to the owner and ask them for a 24 hour listing. Worked like a charm for me, especially when the home was in the right location, as your home is. Good Luck!!

Bubby
February 11th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Morning,

I only have a split second to say hi. We are getting ready to take Jeff to see the surgeon and get his staples taken out. It's going to be s busy day.

Blondie, love your story. I always figured you might have been the second child...lol! You're always so full of mischief and fun. I'm the first born....responsible to the point of being boring...lol!

Wishing everyone a great day.

Ginny B
February 11th, 2015, 09:25 AM
Good Morning and Happy Wednesday. Blondie, loved your story. I'm curious to hear how your mom remembers the incident.
Carol, I hope they come in with a good offer on your house. How great that would be!

Norma, I've been watching a FMQ class on Craftsy and I really want to learn this skill. I'm also learning how to play guitar so I guess this is the year of trying new things for me. Let's hope they both go well. "Practice, practice practice" is my mantra lately.

Have a good day everyone. Keep warm and safe.

Monique
February 11th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Good morning. Just a quick pop in. I have been reading up on the medication Singulair. The doctor has given this to my granddaughter and apparently last night was not a good night. Night terrors, bed wetting, just awful stuff for a 5 year old. Anyone hear have any experience with this drug?

I need a shower because we are going our for breakfast with our friend Doug this morning.

I did work on my chicken yesterday so later I will take some pictures of what I have done with it.

Have a great day everyone.

gloria
February 11th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Monique,
I have used Singular in the past for my Asthma with no bad side effects but I am not a 5 yr old child;, that could make a difference. I would suggest that you go on the Singular website where they will list all the possible side effects. Hope you get some answers.

Grandma Nan
February 11th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Good morning all

Well, you come to Florida for the sunshine and it is sunshine we have today but brrrrrr it is very chilly-still way better temp than Kingston but chilly for Florida. Yesterday took a drive down to Cape Coral about 3 hours south and if all works out I think we will go further south next year. I know February is an iffy month but thats the one we are looking to escape in the North so maybe further south will be the answer. Yesterday DH says if we go much further south, the car just won't do it so maybe in the market for a boat or plane. We'll see. LOL. We are just having a great ol' time exploring and dreaming.

I think today will be a sewing day. Working on 3 quilt tops and have another I could start but don't think I will right now. Good Presidents' Day sales at Joann- 30% off 1 regular price and 20% off your whole order (sale and reg price included).

Blondie I was a first child and could always make my sister cry and sometimes get her in trouble. Loved the story anyway and had a laugh.

Thoughts and prayers going out for those who are still ill, those mourning a loss, or needing special intervention in something like a real estate deal, finding work, or whatever it is you require.
Have a happy day and try to pay it forward to someone. My challenge is "Do something unexpected and nice for someone today".

Midge
February 11th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Morning everybody! Carol, hope your house sale is for real! That would be wonderful, but I bet they don't give you a break on the commission because they brought you the customer. But you are getting peace of mind, right? And your sewing area back! Boy lot's of medical care going on here. Hope that surgery is smooth and not too much pain after. With the laparascope it's the shoulder pain that gets you post op. Tell your daughter to take it easy and not try to be Wonder Woman.

OK so today is Feb. 11. That means that the dead of winter is over. Statistically speaking. Here we have another cold one and snow later. There are two Alberta Clippers coming through for the rest of this week. We don't have it nearly as bad as New England. I feel for those people because it's hard enough on our medium sized snow banks. Poor doggie is so confused. He knows he's supposed to do his business in the tree lawn. But it's over his head! I'm thinking of spring....

shermur
February 11th, 2015, 10:25 AM
we're really hoping they don't shoot us a low ball price.

Carol....in the housing market the way it is? If you haven't yet listed your home, you have time to hopefully get the price you want. I haven't been so lucky. Our home for sale has sat empty since July 2014, it went on the listing market for sale in March 2014. In October, I stopped making the mortgage payment, as we had relocated, living on DH's income only. Then, after applying for acceptance for short sale, that process took our mortgage company two months. OMG, unbelieleable the red tape and hoops to jump through. Now, we have to get the house sold before the end of May 2015 before it goes into foreclosure.
All I can say, hopefully you have enough equity in your home to make whatever offer you receive, will get you out of your home without falter. This experience I've had with my last home ownership, makes me NOT want to buy another house again!

I'm enjoying Ashley and Connor's visit, I hopefully have an opporunity for a full-time job interview tomorrow! And of course, Ashley stated, I get NO sewing/quilting time in (I have been sneaking it in though).....

Amy R
February 11th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Morning!!!
Monique, if I'm thinking right singular is a steroid or steroid derivative? That may be causing over abundance of urine, not sure about the bad dreams. Some people have bad reactions to meds. I hope some resolution is reached soon for the little one.

Today is wedding anniversary #4, it feels like it should be way more lol. My parents sent a generous gift so dinner here we come! Just deciding on where to go.

Looking forward to my Alfred Hitchcock movie themed fabric to get here from M*, it's already shipped!! I got two panels for my anniversary present. Hubby is really getting involved with my quilting I wonder if the fabric acquisition bug has bitten him.
It's nice to have a cheerleader who speaks highly of my craft to our friends and his co workers. His HR lady is interested in commissioning me to do a quilt for her.

I was the oldest of 3, my brother and sister bonded a little better and I was often left out. We did have our moments... when the snow was really high one year we crawled out of our bedroom window, onto the lower roof and jumped down into the snow piles. Mom started realizing we weren't walking out of the house when we came back in. Needless to say she put a nix on that sort of fun. Boooo! LOL

Happy thoughts, prayers and hugs for all.
Good luck with house hunting and selling, relatives' surgeries and recoveries, etc. Don't forget to take care of yourself too!

Sandy Navas
February 11th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Good morning. What a great story Blondie, sounds like your brother was quite a mischievous little guy. I too am the middle child, 2 older sisters and 2 younger sisters.

Looking for a few prayers today. We had a couple look at our house on Monday evening, they were here for over an hour. Then they asked to come back in the daylight hours yesterday and spent another 2 hours here. They are going to submit a contract today and we are so hoping it'll be acceptable. However, we haven't even listed the house yet. We've been busy doing the the fixin up that our realtors suggested and were planning to list around Mar 1. But these peeps really want to move to our neighborhood, after showing them everything else in the area, asked if they could show them our house. We were in the middle of painting the pantry, floors all taped up, paint crapola everywhere, but they said to just leave it as is. There are still several rather large jobs to do, replacing old nasty carpet, replace a well worn vanity in one bathroom......so we're really hoping they don't shoot us a low ball price.

I'm saying a big prayer that the price is right and we accept the contract - because the minute its signed - the breakfast room turns back into my sewing salon, out comes Lulu and I can get back to sewing.....I've really been going thru withdraw - LOL

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone

Carol, it sounds as if you and I are almost in the same boat. Our realtor - although we don't have an actual listing as yet - has someone interested in our place (WE HOPE). This scuffling around, not knowing which way to turn is wearing us out though. So much to do and with no place to go - we may wind up in a hotel for a while and things in storage. Keep fingers crossed - looking at another place this afternoon.

Cathy F
February 11th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Morning all, just woke up a short while ago, can we say lazy!
Blondie, love to hear how your mother recalls that incident!

Carol, hope your home sells at a fair price quickly.
Amy, I'm also the oldest of three. I was an only child till I was 10 and my mother remarried. My brother and sister were much closer to each other. I didn't have much in common with them at that point.
Sandy- ourjoke here is we can't move cause we couldn't pack up all the stuff we've accumulated in this house the past 48 years!

Looking forward to a fun class I signed up for tomorrow, mugrugs done completely in the hoop. I'm sure I could do it on my own but this way I get out to spend the morning with other quilt gals and buy new fabric!
Wishing everyone a good day, hugs to those who need a few extra today!

MayinJerset
February 11th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Barb said," I'm the first born....responsible to the point of being boring...lol!"

Me too, I'm the oldest of 7 but we 4 older ones did have fun but not too much mischief. I was more into teaching them, we played school with a little old desk, store with the cans and stuff in the pantry and paper money and did our own radio shows using a broom stick with an empty box on top as our microphone. Younger 3 siblings bounded well with each other but they were much younger than me so I was taking care of them more. Youngest was only 2 years old when I my oldest son.

Snow forts are always fun on our city street, kids on the block would build one on each side of the street and have big snow ball fights. Once we thought we'd stay in our fort overnight but our parents quickly nixed that idea.

Hope every ones day goes well for them, I'm having lunch this afternoon with a quilting friend although neither of us have done much sewing lately. Among other things we will discuss going to the Lancaster show that is next month. She and I used to go for a few days to meet with our online quilting group. I only go for a day now mostly to meet for dinner and our annual Show and Tell. The group comes from several states NJ, VA, KY, NY with some from PA including our forum pal Quiltingtish. Last year we were a small group but hope more can make it this year although weather might play a hand it everyone's decision.

WendyI
February 11th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Good luck to Carol and Sandy in your home selling ventures! Sherri, I sure hope your other place sells quickly. Blondie, your story was adorable. Monique, hope you are feeling better soon...there's a lot of people sick with that bug here in my office...just crossing my fingers that with all the stress I've been under that I don't catch it! Barb hope all goes well with Jeff today! ((HUGS))

Nothing new to report here. Scott wanted to talk custody agreements yesterday...while I was at work! He sent me an email. So I sat at my desk crying half the day and most of the evening. So today I have to talk to a mediator about getting that drawn up. We are not married, but common-law with a child so we're considered married....just as much legal crap to deal with...but I guess it's in my best interest.

Well off to get some work done. ((((HUGS))) to all who need them.

LRM
February 11th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Blondie, I was the youngest for 7 years until my little brother came along. We are both babies of the family -- spoiled and could do no wrong. My middle brother was my tormentor, but we now joke (only sort of) that we are mom's favorite. We are so much alike and very devoted to helping our parents. The others (5 sibs, 7 of us total) always say we are the favs. Not really true, but it is the running joke.

I have so much to be thankful for and feel blessed every day. I read the struggles that some are going through and feel helpless to assist you except to say how much I appreciate being part of this forum. I've spent the morning reading the new Modblock, then going to the respective contributors' sites to learn more about them. So inspiring! There are artists among us!

Have a wonderful Wednesday! We are in the midst of a record breaking "winter" with warmer than usual temps and no snow. I'm sorry for all of you digging out on the east coast. While it is below freezing this morning, it is crystal clear and will be in the 50s again today. My office has no windows and I teach in interior rooms so when at work I don't even see the outside world. Yesterday I was there 12 hours. I'm looking forward to an early day leaving work to spend some time outside.

My first agenda item (after getting inspired online!!) is to donate blood. I've signed up with American Red Cross and they notify me each time there is a drive near my work. I can't always donate, but do occasionally. Off to do what I can to help others with my blood. I always think my optimistic nature is based on my blood type -- B+. :)

RockinLou
February 11th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Hello all!!

Blondie, your story resonates well today because I just got off the phone with my mother discussing my oldest sister! I'm the youngest of four, and here I am at 35, and they still like to push me around. Ridiculous.... And of course they all think I'm the spoiled golden child. Nope, there are lots of reasons I live 6000 miles away!

This week's dispute?? I will fly from Atlanta to NJ in August, a week later we fly to Kazakhstan. My sister doesn't want to come to NJ and visit us, she wants me to put my kids in the car and Drive them to the northeast corner of CT ( at least a 3 hr trip one way) from my parents house. I said that with the travel from ATL, then to KAZ that it was just too much for us to do in one week. I said no, that it isn't good for the kids, and she is going around calling my other sister and my mom saying I'm being selfish and unwilling to accommodate her family, um.. I'm traveling 6000 miles, you can't come 180?? I'm not doing it, but it is quite ironic how even as adults she feels entitled to determine what everyone else in the family does!!

Back to the grind at work... Getting caught up, finally, from the 2 weeks of illness in the household. I'd love to go into the weekend without a stack of papers to grade, so I'd best be going and working on that...

DH and I celebrate our 8th anniversary next week, we have no plans, which is typical. Mostly, I just want to get a decent meal and buy a few new shirts for spring.

Oh, on Friday we have a professional development day at work, and after my 3 years working in customer service and social media for GroVia (did I ever mention I worked in the cloth diaper industry??) I've been asked to make a presentation about communication, how to be effective with email without allowing it to consume your life / work day. Should be interesting! It will be my first time teaching other teachers, who are notoriously bad students!! :D

MRoy
February 11th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Good morning! I spent most of yesterday organizing my sewing studio. I'll probably spend weeks trying to find things now.

I'm the baby of the family with an age gap of 7 and 10 years between me and my older siblings. I was the one who was tormenting them when they were teenagers. They both married young and from the age of 10 I was the only child still at home. So in a way, I'm like an only child too.

I hope everyone who is trying to sell property/homes is successful. I don't see us moving or selling anytime in the foreseeable future and that suits me fine. Have a happy hump day!

Carrie J
February 11th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Morning all, fast check in today, on the fly for the Hospital Volunteers today. Hugs and Blessings to all, especially those that need it. :D

RockinLou
February 11th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Hello, just coming back to say you all talked me into pouring a cup of decaf while I grade these papers... Decaf coffee is hard to find and even more overpriced than the real thing here, but every night I read this post and want a coffee!!

DH and I are debating putting our town home on the market over the summer, deciding if the temptation of financial freedom outweighs the long term investment...

RockinLou
February 11th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Good morning. Just a quick pop in. I have been reading up on the medication Singulair. The doctor has given this to my granddaughter and apparently last night was not a good night. Night terrors, bed wetting, just awful stuff for a 5 year old. Anyone hear have any experience with this drug?

I need a shower because we are going our for breakfast with our friend Doug this morning.

I did work on my chicken yesterday so later I will take some pictures of what I have done with it.

Have a great day everyone.

I just wanted to comment that ages 2, 3 1/2, & 5 have been the worst stages for night terrors for my kids. My poor daughter was severely afflicted with them. They stopped when we cut Red 40, a far too common synthetic food additive, out of her world. The good news is it is a highly manageable ingredient to avoid. I mention it because it is in many medications, especially those which are given to children when they dye it pink and flavor it to make them take it. Pharmacies should provide a dye free prescription upon request. I made the mistake last summer of forgetting this detail and dealt with my son having a manic episode for 4 days. Mommy FAIL.

I was on albuterol last week (a breathing steroid) and I was in the bathroom constantly. I was so worried I was pregnant!! I would not be surprised if that isn't behind the bed wetting.

K. McEuen
February 11th, 2015, 03:25 PM
This week's dispute?? I will fly from Atlanta to NJ in August, a week later we fly to Kazakhstan. My sister doesn't want to come to NJ and visit us, she wants me to put my kids in the car and Drive them to the northeast corner of CT ( at least a 3 hr trip one way) from my parents house. I said that with the travel from ATL, then to KAZ that it was just too much for us to do in one week. I said no, that it isn't good for the kids, and she is going around calling my other sister and my mom saying I'm being selfish and unwilling to accommodate her family, um.. I'm traveling 6000 miles, you can't come 180?? I'm not doing it, but it is quite ironic how even as adults she feels entitled to determine what everyone else in the family does!!

It's not just your family. I'll make the drive to Texas to see my siblings. I always stay with my oldest sister because she has room and lives alone. My brother and other sister find out I'm coming and say "Are you coming over to see us?" My answer is "I drove over 600 miles, if you can't drive the other 40 then I won't be seeing you. The roads run both ways and I've done the majority of the trip."

Simply Quilting
February 11th, 2015, 04:46 PM
Good Afternoon. Dh and I spent the morning shopping and prepping for the dollar supper at church tonight. Baked Potato bar, salad, fruit and cookie. I've got to go back and check the potatoes in a bit. Thankfully, this meal is fairly easy to put together.

Blondie, your first photo post is one of the children's favorite songs to play on the piano and sing right now.

For those who are selling their houses, I hope that they sell quickly and at a good price for you.

The weather has went from wearing shorts yesterday back to a winter coat today and for sure needing the coat tomorrow.

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone :)