PDA

View Full Version : Tuesdays are my kinda day

Blondie
February 10th, 2015, 07:28 AM

Happy Tuesday, Folksies!

Got the laundry completed from the trip, sorted through the mail, cooked a filling dinner that was not from KFC or Long John Silver's. It's good to be home and make real food to eat. Did I just say that? I still don't like cooking, but, folksies, after several days of fast food and questionable casseroles from church ladies, I will say again it is good to be home and eat my own cooking. That being said, my Aunt Connie, who everyone has always considered the quintessential cook, or The Woman Who Does Everything Excellently made an apple pie that was quite delish.
Connie does everything with a homey panache. She shared many of her specialties with me. I hadn't seen Aunt Connie in a year. She is an amazing woman. It's a shame her DIL's don't appreciate her. She has only sons and only grandsons! That's a wow thought for me. One day I will share some more about Connie. I didn't realize until I was surrounded by this particular branch of the family how much I missed them.

Have a wonderful day my friends. Blessings, prayers for those who are in need of them and loads of smiles. I don't know anyone who can't use a smile! I am off to spend the day with Mom, helping her take care of her laundry and cleaning.

Monique
February 10th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Good morning. I did not do much of anything yesterday. Feeling a heck of a lot better just coughs. I went to town yesterday and GUESS WHAT I DID? Locked both sets of keys in the jeep!! Hubby's key was in the ignition, (I had just picked it up at the garage) and mine were on the seat. Being from a small town where everyone knows everyone, I got a lift to a little garage down the street. Ron came and within minutes had my jeep unlocked. I did not realize there were people watching and a loud applause ensued. AND it only cost me $20.

So that was the extent of my day yesterday.

I am not sure of what today is going to bring. Hubby works, of that I am certain.

Have a great day everyone.

Madeforyouinma11
February 10th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Good morning Blondie. I'm happy you were able to see some family that you have not seen in awhile, although I'm sorry for the reason that you were able to see them.
Today is one of my early days with Julia so I'm off to finish my coffee and get out of here. Hope everyone is surviving all this snow. Have a great day!

Ginny B
February 10th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Good morning. Blondie, it sounds like your Aunt Connie is a very special lady. Monique, glad you are feeling a bit better. That cough tends to hold on a while though doesn't it.

What will work hold today? Yesterday was a bit hectic. We had a number of people out sick so another admin and myself had to take turns covering the phones and front desk and the mail. And to top it off, two of the four heating units weren't working so about 2/3's of the building was cold. Luckily, I am on the warm side of the building and so is our large conference room. Also luckily, we had no meetings scheduled in there so we had people in there trying to get their work done. Will they be fixed today? Nobody seems to have an answer. And the kicker on this is that the building is only open for 1 1/2 years. We shouldn't really be having this much of a problem with the heating system already.

Off to get dinner prepped and check on the laundry in the dryer. Then it's heigh-ho, heigh-ho, it's off to work I go. Have a good day everyone.

Bubby
February 10th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Morning Everyone,

Blondie, I'm glad you got back home safe and sound. Your Autnie Connie sounds like someone I would like to know.

Things here are hectic. The Home Health Nurse and the Physical Therapist are coming 2-3 times a week. I have to help Jeff do his exercises in between visits. Tomorrow Jeff gets his staples out. We have all sorts of appointments for the next two weeks.

Overall Jeff is feeling a little better every day. He sat out on the front porch yesterday a few times. Today I have to do a plumbing project here at home and Jeff will be supervising...wonder how that will go....lol! Jeff wanted a bell to call me when he needs something. I told him there would be no bell, so instead he is using a duck call to summon me! That's his idea of funny! After a few quacks on that thing and I'm ready to run away from home, plus it makes the Girls bark.

I can't find time to sew yet but I've been cutting out the footballs for Jenny's Orange Peel quilt.

The husband of the Girls' groomer told me yesterday her husband has been diagnosed with bladder cancer and they are telling him he has less than a month to live. Please pray for Jack Bernau and Claudia.

Wishing everyone a super day....Hugs, Barb

Simply Quilting
February 10th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Good Morning!!! Today is the last day of our family vacation. On Saturday, we went to a Lego competition. The oldest was one of the top 12 finalist in the junior division. It was fun for all three children as all three were selected to be in the competition. There were over 100 children between the two age groups. They were given a topic (such as a place you would like to visit; once upon a time; safari animals; a gadget/gizmo of the future) and had 30 minutes to build with basic Lego bricks. It was amazing what the children could come up with in 30 minutes. This year every child received a goodie bag that had coupons for free admission to Discovery Legoland, Sealife and ice skating.

On Sunday, dh and I celebrated our 18 anniversary. To celebrate, we took the children to the Great Wolf Lodge for a couple of days. We are having a fun time. Since we have been here before, it is kinda nice to know what to expect. We brought our own food which saved money right there. The children are now familiar with the Magi Quest game that they can find the items that they need to without help. We will be packing up and heading back home later today.

Barb, sorry to hear about Jack Bernau and Claudia. They will be in my prayers.

Blondie, glad that you made it back safe and sound.

Have a great day everyone :)

Amy R
February 10th, 2015, 10:26 AM
good morning!!

Well, I had another example yesterday of proofs that some hubbies actually are listening when we talk quilting.
Our wedding anniversary is tomorrow, and he's been trying to figure out what to get (though I told him the new machine was way more than enough). He took it upon himself to look at M* yesterday and saw the daily deal. Unbeknownst to me I mentioned I found some fabric that had my fav movies Psycho and The Birds from Alfred Hitchcock on the site done by Robert Kaufmann.
Well, the secret came out that he'd been looking and he had me order it pronto. Since I had an account and some points started.
He figures I can make a lap quilt for myself and we'd both have tv/movie themed quilt for our tv watching together.
I'm so touched he would take it upon himself to try to shop for me and surprise me with something I'd like.
His gift is his walking dead quilt I'm working on. It won't be done in time for tomorrow but it should be for his birthday end of the month.

Sophie is doing well, back on her regular schedule. Phew!
Monique, my cousin's wife just locked her keys in the car too the other day. Glad it didn't cost you too much. OOPS!!

Blondie, glad to see you back and settling back in. Enjoy your day with your mama.
Bubby, I'm glad to hear Jeff is progressing. Getting fresh air really helps the spirits in my opinion! Hope you are taking care of yourself and resting when you need to. Somehow you need to help him lose the duck call. Yikes! LOL. Look forward to seeing your fabrics for the orange peel. Sorry to hear about your groomer's husband, will add them to the prayer list.

Happy belated 18th anniversary Simply Quilting!

Prayers and hugs to all. Looking forward to spring here, we were teased with nice temps over the weekend and now it's 22 again this morning.

Grandma Nan
February 10th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Well its a dull day here in Kissimmee so we are going on a little road trip just to look around a bit. We think we may want to move a little further south next year to make sure the weather is warm when we come in February; so we are going to look at some places today. We love this area where we are now and in comparison to home the weather is beautiful but if we can travel a couple more hours and get a bit better chance of consistently warm temps then why not. We are going down around Cape Coral.

Went to the Joann store here last evening on a whim and boy oh boy was I surprised. I usually go to the store in Watertown NY. I like it there and the fabrics are reasonable but last night I was blown away when we went to the Joann here. It is huge and bright lighting and clean looking. It was amazing and I think they have better fabric choice here. I kinda fell in love with this store. Got some great coupons for President's Day Sale this weekend so I think I will have to go back.

Everybody have a great Tuesday.

Mom23
February 10th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Good Morning All,

Do we al have an Aunt Connie? Blondie, there's nothing like a family to bring you all together and make you realize how much you miss some people, and don't miss others....

Barb, I just about spewed coffee all over my computer when you said Jeff is using a duck call to summon you. That sounds like something one of the guys in my house would do. I just read your comment to my son and he thinks he will try that the next time he has a cold.

I got a huge shock when I was awakened by pounding on the door this morning. I peeked out our bedroom window and saw a police car on the drive. Being the parent of a 22 year old I couldn't get to the door fast enough. Said 22 year old was served a summons to appear in court later this month as a witness of a fender bender accident. Jeez, can't that be served after 6:00 in the morning? Mr. Police Officer got to see me in my nightgown and wild hair since I went to bed with it wet last night. My blood got moving fast today!

I've gotten my little sister hooked on sewing. I gave her a jelly roll for her birthday and she made the race quilt. A couple weeks ago we purchases border, backing and binding fabric, and today we're going to put the quilt together today. She has a meeting at 1:00 so we will be done early. I'm planning on hand quilting the rest of the day. For those at the Forum Retreat last year, I'm finally finishing the quilt I was refurbishing for a friend. I had to cut off unusuable fabric all the way around and add two borders. I'm now quilting it by hand so it keeps with the integrity of the age of the quilt. I want to get it done and out of my house as I'm tired of looking at it!!!

Blessings to all.

WendyI
February 10th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Morning all.

Well turns out I won't be able to get my new car until May after I move and all our debt is paid off. My bank says we have too much debt right now. Seems odd as I am trading in the truck who's payments are $20 more a month than my car but whatever. I hate banks.

Nothing much else new here. Barb sorry to hear about your friends husband. That's very sad.

Everyone else...sending lots of love and hugs your way! xox

Sandy Navas
February 10th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Good Morning everyone . . . so many things to be thankful for, so many good things happening, and yet so many discouraging. The husband of a high school friend passed unexpectedly over the weekend. This morning I got a message that another high school friend's husband had a colonoscopy and has been told it doesn't look good. He's being scheduled for asap surgery.

Al and I spent yesterday doing some house-hunting. Why is it when someone builds a house they don't realize that a quilter needs some specific space. The first place we looked at would have been great if it had been on one level - very steep stairs don't go well with bad legs, knees and hips.

Off today to take the tray from the LA to have special encoders installed. I'll pick up a giant roll of batting while there.

Twice since I opened the forum we've had major groupings of geese flying over - couldn't tell which direction they were headed. Hope they know something I dont.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day. I've got everyone in need on my prayer list. Stay safe and stay warm. Oh, and Monique - maybe a shot of blackberry brandy when that cough tickle starts . . .

Amy R
February 10th, 2015, 11:08 AM
My dad swears by blackberry brandy. He's rarely sick!

ravelim
February 10th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Good morning everyone. Prayers for all. The duck call killed me. I just used the loudest sounding bell my mom had in her bell collection and he always came running. Lol.
Wendi hang in there girl. This too shall pass. (I had a teacher that would tell us that all the time and you know what he was right)

My DD has a new car. She and a friend met in Sioux Falls (about 2 hours away) and locked her keys in her car. It happens to all of us.

I had to quit FMQing the football quilt. I became so discouraged with it. The stippling is ok but the stuff around the football's looks awful to me. Maybe it'll repair itself overnight.?! Lol

Started another altered squares table topper with April Showers. It'll be cute. Better get moving here.

Have a great day.

Carah
February 10th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Blondie, thank you for you uplifting posts!

It's going to be a wonderful day! The sun is shining, once I put in my day, I can sew!

Counting my blessings!

GrammaBabs
February 10th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Sandy... All our homes HERE are ONE LEVEL....:))))
Blondie Welcome back..
Hugs, to everyone and good thoughts and prayers for all of friends and relatives in need... I am so very greatful and feeling blessed when I read the trials that people must face. I am determined to take EACH DAY with a smile and with a very grateful heart. One foot in front of the other...
Thank you all for being my "first thing in the morning uplift"!
Off to the sewing room,,, I'm doing the "Dresden coin" with a FQ pack I pulled from somewhere!:)

Carrie J
February 10th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Jeff wanted a bell to call me when he needs something. I told him there would be no bell, so instead he is using a duck call to summon me! That's his idea of funny! After a few quacks on that thing and I'm ready to run away from home, plus it makes the Girls bark.

OMG.............great way to start the day Barb!!! Read it to DH and he died laughing too!

Making a short stop in to say "Howdy", and then off to get errands, Dr's appointment. For those of you having sad/hard times/health issues, etc..........you're in my prayers and thoughts. Otherwise, have a laugh filled day, I hope some small thing makes your heart sing today, or just makes you feel great. Hugs and Blessing to all, especially those that need them! TA! :D

rebeccas-sewing
February 10th, 2015, 01:36 PM
Happy Day everyone. Mine is winding down.

toggpine
February 10th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Nothing too exciting here.
The new dog seems to be settling in, although she'd rather still be in the house I think.
The farm cat is NOT happy. She's an outdoor cat and we had been feeding her a bit of wet food on the front porch and then her dry kibble in the barn. This kept the raccoons off of the front porch and the other cats too. Well, now that BIG dog is roaming the barn, cat won't go in there. I have been feeding her on the front porch the last few days. I just had to break up a cat fight out there. Some slinky black cat decided that this looked like a good place for breakfast. Ugh! I'm sure the dog & the cat could settle it with a few claw swipes at that big black nose, but Eve is huge, so I can see why Mookie might not want to risk it. Ahh such drama!

I'm out to go get a zipper today. Then perhaps I'll get back into the sewing swing of things.

Good luck on the house hunting Sandy. The right one will come along. A big, unfinished basement could give you some good options, although that would mean stairs again. Oooh, a detached garage! You could turn it into a quilting studio! Outside of the box, that's where you are going to have to think!
Big hugs and a bundle of smiles for you all today! Cathy