PDA

View Full Version : Quilts for descendants

Neller
February 7th, 2015, 02:19 PM
My DIL and son are expecting their first baby, a little girl in June. I have already knit a blanket for her and have made a little rag quilt for her too. I want to make so many quilts for her that she can use now, and some for when she is older, so she will always remember her grandma who loves her and wants her to be warm. When my grandma died, all I wanted was a quilt to remember her by. Unfortunately, other relatives got her quilts. I have many warm memories of her though, but I want my granddaughter to have quilts of her own.

My heart is full, dreaming of my little grandchild. I'd tell you her name but the parents are keeping it a secret!

dwil23
February 7th, 2015, 02:40 PM
I have a 2 year old grandson and I have loved making things for him. My most recent was an "I Spy" quilt, made even more special because I used a piece of fabric from my Mother's stash for the backing. My son got teary eyed when I told him where the backing came from, as my Mom has been gone for 19 years now.

I am sure you will enjoy making so many beautiful quilts for your little bundle of joy!

Cathy F
February 7th, 2015, 02:41 PM
That little one will be blessed with many memories of her grandma's love!

Sylvia H
February 7th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Ah - expecting a grandchild and keeping secrets! How utterly delicious! I totally understand your feelings, and I am planning on something similar. Unfortunately, I did not start quilting until my grandson was 12 years old. The first quilt I made for him was wrestling themed, with real life pictures of some wrestlers. He was 13 when I made that quilt, and it was the one Christmas present that left him speachless! For his 16th birthday I made him a more grownup quilt. But I have plans on making a few more for him, hopefully for a future wedding and great-grandchildren! I love the thought that we can continue to hug those we love with our quilts.